Off Topic discussion for Mega owners! Feedback and Support. :)

Search This thread

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
towelroot apk

@ Opie- Hello and welcome to the BS thread!! :)

I tried geohot's towelroot apk and it doesn't work for our phone. However, he had an open invitation to send him a logcat with our phone info and he would see if he could make it work for those phones that are having trouble. So, I learned how to do that and sent him the info. Fingers crossed for those who upgraded to kitkat and lost their rooted status.

Reactions: fprice02

Opie Knievel

Dec 18, 2012
Brodhead, KY
@ Opie- Hello and welcome to the BS thread!! :)

I tried geohot's towelroot apk and it doesn't work for our phone. However, he had an open invitation to send him a logcat with our phone info and he would see if he could make it work for those phones that are having trouble. So, I learned how to do that and sent him the info. Fingers crossed for those who upgraded to kitkat and lost their rooted status.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Fortunately for me, my Mega came with 4.2. I also tried towelroot without success. I had my S5 for about a month and a half and when I got it rooted so easily today I just had to root the Mega too. I used Kingo. The main reason I wanted to root it so fast was hearing about the OTA to KK that Kingo doesn't support. Now I'm rooted on both, running Titanium Backup Pro and I've got the AT&T update app froze on both phones just to be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BoiBundy

Jan 31, 2012
New York
I've read hopsin's entire recovery thread. I just got my Mega a couple of days ago and rooted it today. I'm really excited about getting a custom recovery. I want to extend my support and say that I'm available to help test if you need anymore help. I have a Galaxy S5 as my "main" phone. I hope your back is healing up good. Good luck and thanks for all the work you've put into this project so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Its nice to know more people have the i527. As far as recovery goes im in the midst of tearing apart the boot structure of this bad boy could take a day or a week or a year but who knows. I do know this Hopsin fella wont be coming out with zilch, because doing this a lone is not realistic.
I been told him id test out whatever he has but as always, shady responses and dodgy behavior. Aside from that...
There simply is no way around this bootloader and for the 100th time its not knox. Tripping the knox counter will void your warranty? Yes but to trip knox you would have first break the security which voids your warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont take my word for it..
Ask Adam Outler or djrbliss or halekdev. Without a serious collaborative effort theres no recovery coming
I need someone thats hardware friendly, preferably knowlege of uart, and physical memory and proccessor knowledge.
I have the right people but they dont have the device, so even tho theyve worked on this board before, a lot of the exploitation is going to be device specific, which means that someone here needs to learn that a collective effort is the only thing thats going to win the race. This is for everyone!! Nobodys tryna steal nobodys credit, theres no bounty and even if there was I dont want anyones money lol if hopsin pm'd me right now and say we figured it out, he could have all the credit and donations because I dont have a donate badge in my profile, I do this for the sake of developing.

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 AM ----------

Oh for the critics that say I have no screen shot either, even tho I didnt make a promise to have a working recovery by end of last month!!!!!

I've disassembled my aboot and found the check sigs and the boot_linux_from_mmc was not present or im just looking for it in the wrong place either way, I chatted with djrbliss (one of the best developers here!)( No longer here!!!!!!! )He recognized vulnerabilities in the galaxy s4 bootloader and various other comparable phones including lg so he wrote a little tool called loki_tool (im not writing a detailed report about it go to the loki tool page if youre curious) either way he was patient with me and walked me through the aboot but hes intensively busy! And once again he doesnt have the device but he was nice enough to run the tool against my original aboot but lo' and behold the boot_linux_from_mmc was either patched or is in a different place.

Aside from that I have access to an unsecure aboot but the partitions are not for out device, I swear we need someone who understands kexec, zrom, pbl, sbl1, sbl2, sbl3 because that would be the first steps to having a slightly unsecure or fully unsecure bootloader. If you dont understand anything just ask... ...not me, but a ARM reverse engineering book. Jk but seriously great people already did 70% of the work for us, so its gonna take real effort to close this gap.

moudy

Dec 31, 2007
Im not quoting you too long lol. I hear wat ur saying but knox and bootloader are both problems here....its like ditching class but need to evade 2 security gaurds. I mean I cant agree that knox is not the problem my friend but I would say it plays a role. I too have been looking into loki and yea that file isnt there. Im hoping its somewhere else if not patched. I dont mind working together but u cant force anyone to work in a group. Some ppl work best alone. And accusations like him not coming out with zilch is not fair. This is a development community and we dont believe in impossible :)

Sent from my BRAIN using TELEPATHY brain freeze

moudy

Dec 31, 2007
If someone with knowledgeable information can answer my question I would really appreciate it. If the bootloader is unlocked...I said if....and I want to flash a different bootloader to it, would the other unlockable mega bootloader work for my sgh-i527??? I want jtag this device as experimental purpose. Thanks again

hopsin4444

Aug 17, 2013
denver
fastunlockandmore2.webs.com
If someone with knowledgeable information can answer my question I would really appreciate it. If the bootloader is unlocked...I said if....and I want to flash a different bootloader to it, would the other unlockable mega bootloader work for my sgh-i527??? I want jtag this device as experimental purpose. Thanks again

Pm sent

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Hey all so I think I am going to put together a little group of devs that wants to all join in and help me out and see if more brains can help out so @moudy and @BoiBundy let's get together and others

hopsin4444

Aug 17, 2013
denver
fastunlockandmore2.webs.com
In

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Premium HD app

Ok i suggest we use boibundys thread no more arguing or sillyness lets just get this done my computer is down atm should be up and running tomorrow though

I been down!!!:good:

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

We should take it to the thread I created not for credit but to avoid creating a new thread and all the non development posts.http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2781943 :highfive:

Yea im down

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
Might I suggest that you put a request at the top of that developmental thread you will be using to please not post if you are not working on the project or testing the project? Unless they have info that will be helpful to the project??

Any discussion or questions should be on this thread- off topic for anything-?

If you guys have the time or inclination you can answer or ignore here and not be held responsible for up keeping the info here. If anyone wants particulars they can read your thread and question here?? Might help keep all the junk out of your dev thread.

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
Towelroot v.2

I don't know if you guys have been following geohot's towelroot for androids- specifically for the GS5, and others with kernels written before jun 3rd, 2014- which we have (may 21st).

I tried it for version 1 TR and it didn't work- sent logcat to geohot as requested. He just released TRv2- just tried it and still does not work for our phones- those of us who updated to 4.4.2. Logcat sent to geohot again. Grarak (writes kernels for our mega) says even though our date is right, the exploit used to root by geohot in TR was closed in our kernel. So it will never work. So far, he is correct.

Just wanted to keep you up to date.

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky
I was thinking about going to another device forum and acting like I had one of those...:cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Free mobile app

moudy

Dec 31, 2007
Sup guys. I dont know if ur familiar with jtag. But wat im trying to do is jtag my device and reserect it as the other mega version

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

I did brick an att s4 but brought it back to life. So im still new at this stuff so if jtag works ill post my findings.

icemikesr2

Sep 8, 2013
cleveland
att won

This is a wonderful phone but the development sucks I'll never buy another branded att phone in my life I think a recovery will never exist and if it does they'll be other issues such as no roms. Like I said I'm selling mines immediately so I can get rid of this phone.

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
This is a wonderful phone but the development sucks I'll never buy another branded att phone in my life I think a recovery will never exist and if it does they'll be other issues such as no roms. Like I said I'm selling mines immediately so I can get rid of this phone.

Hope you feel better after sharing your frustration:p I hope you do well in your resale and get something you will be happy with.:good:

If you really like the phone so much you could always get a mega that has an unlocked bootloader. They have all sorts of roms to chose from.

Without a custom recovery development is just stalled for the att version. But they are still trying.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Towelroot v.2

I don't know if you guys have been following geohot's towelroot for androids- specifically for the GS5, and others with kernels written before jun 3rd, 2014- which we have (may 21st).

I tried it for version 1 TR and it didn't work- sent logcat to geohot as requested. He just released TRv2- just tried it and still does not work for our phones- those of us who updated to 4.4.2. Logcat sent to geohot again. Grarak (writes kernels for our mega) says even though our date is right, the exploit used to root by geohot in TR was closed in our kernel. So it will never work. So far, he is correct.

Just wanted to keep you up to date.
    I just gotta say something. As someone who has no clue on writing code, breaking open locked bootloaders, replacing stock recoveries with custom ones, or making custom roms for all of our techie toys- I am very supportive of those people- who on their own free time- taking time away from their own personal families and other fun stuff to do in their spare time- Try to open our devices for their personalization and sharing their successes for our enjoyment of our techie toys. Along with successes, comes a lot of not so successful moments that are learning opportunities to fix and improve their projects and work.

I gladly sit and wait for any improvements they can bring to my devices with great thanks and small donations when I can. ;)

It's not easy- I looked into what coding is all about and it made my head scramble!! Definitely not my thing. So to the small group working their butts off to break the barriers, I thank you and please continue doing what you do.:fingers-crossed: And if you Happen to share your successes with us, Which as we all know, is not something you have to do, I will be very grateful and thankful.:good:

Pm sent

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Hey all so I think I am going to put together a little group of devs that wants to all join in and help me out and see if more brains can help out so @moudy and @BoiBundy let's get together and others

I belive it was cleaned

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

I believe I read somewhere that knox is part of the baseband. We dont remove knox bcoz we would mess with the phone functions. To remove knox correctly we need to rewrite bootloader. To rewrite bootloader we need to unlock it. If we bypass bootloader we cant remove knox but freeze it if im not mistaken. Correct me if im wrong with this. This is just super basic stuff nowhere near wat need to be done. To bypass bootloader we need to find an exploit maybe. Now the locked bootloader....I belive it is explained like this: imagine a door lock, one key locks it and another key unlocks it. The key that locks can only lock the door. So its a double safe. Its kinda like that. Haven't seen any one pick the lock on this yet. Bypass yes. I dont know what direction hopsin4444 is trying to accomplish this but if its a bypass and he found an exploit then hes probably fighting with knox or something that validates the recovery(flash). Also if hopsin4444 found something he worked hard on should be the one to get the credit. It sucks to work hard then to have someone claim ur work. Either we be patient or trade ur phone in J/K.

This is all true but the reason why I keep coming back to Knox is cause Knox whether any one wants to believe it lol is a main issue for a sucseful recovery flash so we can have a sucseful ROM flash that works! My early progress I was able to get a recovery to go on the phone but the recovery would always be off like the touch or the color or the wrong buttons and then for it to flash a ROM the WiFi would not work or the data which is a Knox issue in order to have a completly functional phone Knox has to go bye bye and the recovery has to work correctly I really don't know what kinda screen shots you want I can take some pics of my work on the computer but that'll just give someone else to want something more my goal is to be able to work on this and have success with out being hassled and asked constantly for some new proof no one is paying me to do this this is not my job so as cap says practice patients and give it time as for boy Bundy or whatever if he post on any of my threads just ignore it I have not even been to his thread or if he had one half the crap he mentions in my thread before it gets DELETED makes no sense so if he wants to do some stuff up as well follow his work as well I don't care because honestly this phone is a b (word) to do anything on so I do not see anything in the near future coming from him and that's no disrespect at all to him like I said the phone is a b (word) as for me IDC what anyone says I've been working on this and have gotten further than anyone in my opinion and I'm not gonna stop because of immaturity I got a lot going on as of late with my pet and my own health but I promise you I work on it at least once a day usually 2 times a day for more than 2 hours at a time I am a man of my word and work and I promised all you a ROMable phone and I will not fail at allmay just take some time as it already has back to the screen shots though I'll try to get something together and show you guys what I've got brewing thanks for all the support and dedication guys
    Hopsin4444

Im not quoting you too long lol. I hear wat ur saying but knox and bootloader are both problems here....its like ditching class but need to evade 2 security gaurds. I mean I cant agree that knox is not the problem my friend but I would say it plays a role. I too have been looking into loki and yea that file isnt there. Im hoping its somewhere else if not patched. I dont mind working together but u cant force anyone to work in a group. Some ppl work best alone. And accusations like him not coming out with zilch is not fair. This is a development community and we dont believe in impossible :)