FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,276

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th November 2019, 01:11 AM |#11841  
Flag Gorredijk
Thanks Meter: 186

More
I kinda wanna upgrade my Note 9 but I have a few "requirements" which aren't easy to find lol.

I'm looking for a phone with a 855 or 855+, at least 6.5", underscreen fp, no notch and proper stereo speakers and good custom rom support.
Only phone so far that meets these requirements is the OnePlus 7 Pro and the ASUS ROG Phone 2 but compared to Chinese flagships like the Realme X2 pro (which has a notch) they are way too expensive. I know.. I shouldn't complain about price as I bought this note 9 brand new 13 months ago, but it has a lot of secondhand value still as it's in excellent condition and I kinda wanna upgrade it now that it still has some resale value.

Is there any other phone cheaper than a OP7 Pro that fits? I mean, the Redmi K20 Pro / Mi9 T Pro also matches pretty well but the speakers are kinda men and the screen feels smaller being 6.39" compared to my Note 9 and I like an as big as possible screen.
20th November 2019, 04:58 PM |#11842  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilKhandelwal

Cool. Now let's hope the one who asked the question reads this

I do! But I need something without a camera bump.
20th November 2019, 05:16 PM |#11843  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisali

I do! But I need something without a camera bump.

I was just pointing out what gm stands for. Quote the person to whom I replied. Maybe they'll be able to help. I don't change phones often, thus can't help. Sorry. Hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck 😊
22nd November 2019, 05:16 PM |#11844  
Thanks Meter: 239

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla p

One Plus 7 Pro w/ 8GB RAM and 256GB storage just went on sale for early Black Friday. 549 or 522 shipped with student discount.
Great device at a good price. I have the OP6 and that was too good to pass up. It will be here in less than a week.

That would be my top pick. The last OnePlus with a headphone jack. Since it was out of my price range I will stick with the OnePlus 5 for a couple more years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
23rd November 2019, 12:25 AM |#11845  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Which aptX HD phone?
Moto G5S Plus has got to go.. but I haven't found a phone that'd be "perfect" successor. Please help me decide.

Price would have to stay under 400 €, and I'm willing to do a little Black Friday / Cyber Monday hunting, so that 400 is not "absolute max", but you get the point, my budget ain't gonna be enough for Google Pixel 4.

Absolutely necessity:

aptX HD (aptX Adaptive would be nice, but it's so rare that I'm not even dreaming about that)

Nice to haves:

- Good quality screen, AMOLED preferred
- Pretty good rear camera (I take mostly daylight pictures of other persons / scenery, rarely video, never selfies)
- Simple / light UI (Moto G has been friendly..).. or at least one that is intuitive enough for grandpa coming from (almost) stock android.
- Long lifecycle (software/security updates)
- Decent battery (one full day of web surfing is enough)
- Splash proof (would have to endure light rain, not submersion)
- Robust (current phone has been dropped countless times, and have had screen protector replaced more than once..)

Does not matter at all:

- Speaker/s quality
- 3.5 mm / wired audio output
- NFC
- IR transmitter
- Front facing camera
- Gaming performance

I did some googling and came up with following phones, each one with something "wrong":

Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro / Redmi K20 Pro - Can it withstand moisture at all (with that pop-up camera)? And that MIUI is a big question mark to me.. apparently many dislike it? Price for 6GB/128GB is 410 €, could most likely be had for 3XX during sales.

Asus Zenfone 6 - Has IPS screen.. 499 € at the moment.

ZTE Axon 10 Pro - Quality of the pictures has been criticized, but is waterproof. Was on sale for ~370 € yesterday at Black Friday pre-sale, now 450 €.

Oneplus 7 Pro / T /T Pro seems nice, but these cost 680 / 610 / 760 €.

Is there any other options / which one would you pick (considering my use)?
23rd November 2019, 10:05 AM |#11846  
Flag varese
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Question Which waterproof android?
Hey guys,
I'd like to have your advices: I need to buy a new Android smartphone.
Waterproof (IP67/8) is the most limiting feature from starting from and within an average budget,
that is a new mid-range or an one year old high-end device.

Which models do you suggest?
23rd November 2019, 12:37 PM |#11847  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogilainen

Moto G5S Plus has got to go.. but I haven't found a phone that'd be "perfect" successor. Please help me decide.

Price would have to stay under 400 €, and I'm willing to do a little Black Friday / Cyber Monday hunting, so that 400 is not "absolute max", but you get the point, my budget ain't gonna be enough for Google Pixel 4.

Absolutely necessity:

aptX HD (aptX Adaptive would be nice, but it's so rare that I'm not even dreaming about that)

Nice to haves:

- Pretty good rear camera (I take mostly daylight pictures of other persons / scenery, rarely video, never selfies)

- Simple / light UI (Moto G has been friendly..).. or at least one that is intuitive enough for grandpa coming from (almost) stock android.

- Robust (current phone has been dropped countless times, and have had screen protector replaced more than once..)

Does not matter at all:

- Speaker/s quality

- NFC

- IR transmitter

- Front facing camera

- Gaming performance

I did some googling and came up with following phones, each one with something "wrong":

Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro / Redmi K20 Pro - Can it withstand moisture at all (with that pop-up camera)? And that MIUI is a big question mark to me.. apparently many dislike it? Price for 6GB/128GB is 410 €, could most likely be had for 3XX during sales.

ZTE Axon 10 Pro - Quality of the pictures has been criticized, but is waterproof. Was on sale for ~370 € yesterday at Black Friday pre-sale, now 450 €.

Out of the options you listed in your price range I would go with the zte axon 10 pro, but I've never used it. I'm going by some reviews I watched on YouTube, particularly by "jwilliams". I believe he loved that phone.

23rd November 2019, 08:28 PM |#11848  

More
I am looking for a 10 inch tablet not very picky except that it must be rootable and able to run WWE Supercards, Will be mainly used for reading. WiFi is of course a must
24th November 2019, 01:24 AM |#11849  

More
Quote:

Absolutely necessity:

Nice to haves:

Does not matter at all:

- Speaker/s quality
- NFC
- IR transmitter
- Front facing camera
- Gaming performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket

Out of the options you listed in your price range I would go with the zte axon 10 pro, but I've never used it. I'm going by some reviews I watched on YouTube, particularly by "jwilliams". I believe he loved that phone.

ZTE's camera seemed to focus really slowly in (ZTE vs Oneplus by JWilliams) comparison video.. And that 375 € discount is gone and price is back to 475 €..

But as my hunger grows (possibly stretching the budget), OnePlus is not making things easier! Oneplus 7 Pro and Oneplus 7T could now be had for 599 €. And I can't even decide which one of those I'd choose, if I were to pick OnePlus. I've never had a curved screen, so that is a major questionmark, and I would anyway hide the phone in some kind of "tank like" case, so there goes the "bling factor" of the curved screen anyway..

As I've forgotten the Asus (due to the IPS screen), battle is now between Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro (~400 €) and Oneplus 7 Pro / 7T (~600 €).. unless someone comes up with a dark horse!
24th November 2019, 01:31 AM |#11850  

More
Quote:

ZTE's camera seemed to focus really slowly in (ZTE vs Oneplus by JWilliams) comparison video.. And that 375 € discount is gone and price is back to 475 €..

But as my hunger grows (possibly stretching the budget), OnePlus is not making things easier! Oneplus 7 Pro and Oneplus 7T could now be had for 599 €. And I can't even decide which one of those I'd choose, if I were to pick OnePlus. I've never had a curved screen, so that is a major questionmark, and I would anyway hide the phone in some kind of "tank like" case, so there goes the "bling factor" of the curved screen anyway..

As I've forgotten the Asus (due to the IPS screen), battle is now between Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro (~400 €) and Oneplus 7 Pro / 7T (~600 €).. unless someone comes up with a dark horse!

I'd go with the OnePlus 7 pro but I hate the idea of wearing out my charging port every time I plug in my headphones, which I sometimes do 20 times a day with my OnePlus 5.

24th November 2019, 01:47 AM |#11851  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Rocket

I'd go with the OnePlus 7 pro but I hate the idea of wearing out my charging port every time I plug in my headphones, which I sometimes do 20 times a day with my OnePlus 5.

Plugging in headphones is no issue with me, since I don't connect them to the phone at all. I only use Bluetooth (phone -> BT -> Radsone Earstudio ES100 -> cable -> Headphones).

I've just spent couple of hours watching comparison videos and reading articles about the differences between 7 Pro and 7T, but still cannot decide.. 7 Pro would be obvious choice if it had a flat screen. maybe a good night's sleep will help
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)