[DEV] Multiboot Linux on Infinity tf700 (project closed)

Search This thread

elfaure

Jealous...

Man this stuff is waaaay over my head, but I was just reading thru this thread with awe dreaming about a KDE/Compiz cube desktop for the TF700 and realizing that you guys with NVFlash and the serious Linux know-how must be having some real fun (work) with this one. When I got mine I was on .26 and took the OTA 3 days out of the box. :crying: But I would think it will take the next generation CPU/GPU for Ubuntu to actually be "quick" on the tab. I just installed Linux Mint 15 KDE-RC and am having some fun with it (except for trying to install the NVidia driver.) :crying: :D

Last edited:

TitanUranus

Nov 1, 2012
I had to go to my backup when I did it. So if you backed up your rootfs, you are good. If not you will need to start fresh and as always before doing a system upgrade, copy your rootfs somewhere first as a safety net....

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If you create a partition on microSD/SDHC you can pop it in a card reader and use clonezilla to back it up on the PC, worked fine for me.

Reactions: workdowg

LEGOracer69

Mar 16, 2012
I suppose this question was asked many times, but I couldn't find the answer. It says that minecraft is finished partially, there are videos of minecraft on chromebooks, can someone tell me where can I find any.. tutorial? Anything?

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
@rabits just wondering if this is possible on our device: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2347581 not sure how a dualboot would work with it, but it appers to improve i.o performance alot over loop mounting, could be worth investigating.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Man this stuff is waaaay over my head, but I was just reading thru this thread with awe dreaming about a KDE/Compiz cube desktop for the TF700 and realizing that you guys with NVFlash and the serious Linux know-how must be having some real fun (work) with this one. When I got mine I was on .26 and took the OTA 3 days out of the box. :crying: But I would think it will take the next generation CPU/GPU for Ubuntu to actually be "quick" on the tab. I just installed Linux Mint 15 KDE-RC and am having some fun with it (except for trying to install the NVidia driver.) :crying: :D

The tegra 3 cpu/gpu is plenty fast enough for smooth operation of ubuntu, our issue is oly having 1 gb of ram. The next tablet i buy will hopfully be tegra 5 with 4gb of ram :)

Im still hoping Asus will release an nvflash capable bootloader, the tf101 was amazing for that, but it seems highly unlikely at this point

workdowg

Apr 17, 2011
Seneca Falls
From the users thread

@rabits - I need your help. @moreD_cn has Hund's 4.2 kernel compiled so that will boot to linux and android. But it looks like your installer and init script needs to point to the new sdcard (/storage/emulated/legacy) directory. I copied my rootfs.img to "sdcard/linux/" but it doesn't see it on boot. I'm looking at the installer right now, maybe I can figure it out....

Reactions: bmlarson

TitanUranus

Nov 1, 2012
@rabits - I need your help. @moreD_cn has Hund's 4.2 kernel compiled so that will boot to linux and android. But it looks like your installer and init script needs to point to the new sdcard (/storage/emulated/legacy) directory. I copied my rootfs.img to "sdcard/linux/" but it doesn't see it on boot. I'm looking at the installer right now, maybe I can figure it out....

When I tried it didn't see it in the internal sdcard. What you can do is put an SD card in the dock and install to it if you have the rootfs on the microSD (not sure if you can have the rootfs on dock SD to install to microSD though, didn't try that). When I tried earlier it stuck at 90% and I had to abandon the install. I don't think this is the fault of the installer though, I'll give it another go lateer with another SD in the dock. I suppose you could use the original rabits installer to write the fs to the card, then just update the boot kernel using the new installer from moreD_cn.

Once it is installed onto the SD, I really reccomend putting it in a card reader and creating an image of it using clonezilla on the PC. This makes it far faster and easier to write it back to whatever size of partition you chose. This is extremely helpful for backing it up if you are intending to try updates or installing any system apps that can wreck the whole OS.

From what I did try earlier (didn't have a lot of time though) the moreD_cn kernel worked really well on CROMIX 4.7.0, though it did freeze after about 5 mins (may need to change the voltages for using on my TF700).

I really hope this can kickstart developement on linux for out TF700's again as it would be extremely useful to a lot of people.

TitanUranus

Nov 1, 2012
Can't tell you how happy I am to see you guys taking interest in this again, seems to have been stalled for a long time. Anytime I can help you with testing just let me know, I've got my NVFlash backup so I can risk a bad flash.

workdowg

Apr 17, 2011
Seneca Falls
Also the kernel he compiled from Hund's latest boots to recovery without a problem??? I'm working on modifing the installer right now to look in the right places for the rootfs.img... more to come!
My guess is that the installer is looking in sdcard/ for the rootfs-...tar.lzma. This was probably just easier when @rabits built it. I can't seem to find where the installer looks for the rootfs-....tar.lzma file. Also when I modified the init.sh script he wrote to point to /storage/sdcard/linux for the rootfs.img file I put there, it doesn't find it to boot into... I'm setting it aside for today. Really got to go get some sleep before work... :eek:

Keshukas

Aug 22, 2010
My guess is that the installer is looking in sdcard/ for the rootfs-...tar.lzma. This was probably just easier when @rabits built it. I can't seem to find where the installer looks for the rootfs-....tar.lzma file. Also when I modified the init.sh script he wrote to point to /storage/sdcard/linux for the rootfs.img file I put there, it doesn't find it to boot into... I'm setting it aside for today. Really got to go get some sleep before work... :eek:

I heave make link from /data/media/0/linux to /data/media/linux with command ln -s /data/media/0/linux /data/media/linux sims you can install and boot roofs.img . To found installer roofs****.tar.lzma you need to copy rootfs****.tar.lzma to microsd or to USB card or to /data/media/

P.S. I use rabit installer-0.8.0 blob to boot Linux on tf300 4.2 boot loader

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

workdowg

Apr 17, 2011
Seneca Falls
I heave make link from /data/media/0/linux to /data/media/linux with command ln -s /data/media/0/linux /data/media/linux sims you can install and boot roofs.img . To found installer roofs****.tar.lzma you need to copy rootfs****.tar.lzma to microsd or to USB card or to /data/media/

P.S. I use rabit installer-0.8.0 blob to boot Linux on tf300 4.2 boot loader

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

That was the first thing I tried. I missed the /0... Will try in the morning. Thanks!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: bmlarson

Snepscheut

Dec 17, 2005
Zwijndrecht
Could you dev's make this also work on the tf201?

It is great to see this work picked up!

I hope you will make it happen and if possible please include the tf201 (prime)

Thanks.

Jos.

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
It is great to see this work picked up!

I hope you will make it happen and if possible please include the tf201 (prime)

Thanks.

Jos.

It isn't impossible, but your device most likely requires different drivers to ours, along with different bugs that need to be worked around. You could try this rootfs on the tf201(it works fine on my tf300t, but the tf300t is a closer sibling to the tf700) and see if it boots with your ubuntu kernel, but in the long run you need a developer with a tf201 to do the dirty work.

paul_zm

Apr 19, 2011
Qingdao
LG G6
LG V50 ThinQ
scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c:200:24: fatal error: zconf.hash.c: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 2
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `include/config/auto.conf', needed by `include/config/kernel.release'. Stop.
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

hi , how are you , I have the same error when I compile the ROM for my phone(LG-LU6200) , and I didn't find the solution , can you shear your experiment , thanks first .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Developers thread for users general.

I will post here some external links and additional information.

GitHub tf700 Repository - place for config files and step-by-step manual to create you own kernel and rootfs
    GOO.IM file place
    Tablet PPA for Raring

Changed packages is placed in /root/deb directory.

Known problems: (nexus7 wiki, mattfischer blog post, nexus7 bugs)
    • Unity has some problems with performance and ram eating - this is place for optimizations.
    • In-device microSD really bad works.
    • WiFi disabling is fail bcmdhd kernel module.
    • vt1-only, if you try to switch to vt* (`chvt 2`) - your device is freezes and reboot.
    • To use unity you need nux-tools, libnux-3.8-0 and libnux-3.8-common with version 3.8.0-0ubuntu1nexus7.1 (this packages are hold)
    • Sometimes I can see really bad artifacts with fonts and background on the device screen (mostly if using chromium browser). Only reboot fixes it.

Progress list:
    • Test Linux boot {DONE}
    • SDCard rootfs {DONE}
    • Graphical boot{DONE}
    • Keyboard special keys remapping (Esc, F1-12, Ins, Print, Break, Del, Home->Alt, Search->Meta4) {DONE in 0.8.0}
    • WiFi {DONE}
    • OpenGL ES {DONE}
    • Audio {DONE} In pavucontrol as output device selected Analog Stereo Output, in alsamixer (tegra-codec) unmute IntSpk
    • Video up to 1080p {DONE} (ac100 info) - Soft audio requires gstreamer0.10-plugins-*
      • nvgstplayer --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Fullscreen mode
      • nvgstplayer --svs="nvxvimagesink" --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Window mode
    • Touchscreen {DONE in 0.7.0} - used mtev one-touch driver 0.1.13 with api and 2button patches - right click by push one finger and click by second finger (thanx, cb22)
    • Touchpad {DONE in 0.6.1}
      • 2 fingers scrolling {DONE}
      • 3rd mouse button by 2 finger tap {DONE 0.6.1} - created new version of package multitouch "-swaptaps"
    • Updated tegra3 drivers and codecs to 16.2 {DONE in 0.6.1}
    • Ubuntu/Android dualboot {DONE in 0.7.0}
      • Initrd bootloader trying to boot sda1(dock sd cardreader or usb device), mmcblk1p1(internal microsd cardreader), sdb1 (dock sd cardreader or usb device), mmcblk0p9(inernal device), /data/media/tf700-rootfs-linux.img(in-device installed virtual disk) (0.7.0)
      • If it can't load linux - fallback to Android (0.7.0)
      • Boot android if voldown (or special, like Up key) key pressed in menu (0.7.0)
      • Fixed nvavp problem in android (0.7.0)
      • Fixed problems with Android sleeping by unbinding vtconsole before Android boot (0.7.0)
    • Initrd installer to mmcblk0p8 user partition and mount as loop with binding mmcblk0p8 {DONE in 0.7.0}
    • Fonts and cursor size {DONE in 0.8.0}
    • ZIP installer by Aroma {partially}
      • Install of boot image {DONE in 0.7.1}
      • Install script for SDcard-way and Virtual Disk-way {DONE in 0.8.0}
      • Possibility of using mmcblk0p8 /data as /home {DONE in 0.8.0}
      • Dynamical making of boot.blob {DONE in 0.8.1}
      • Select rootfs to boot {DONE in 0.8.1}
      • CM10.1 initrd (link) {DONE in 0.8.1}
      • Android boot from sdcard or virtual drive {DONE in 0.8.1}
      • UbuntuTouch initrd {DONE in 0.8.2}
      • Change boot system names {DONE in 0.8.2}
      • Add option to boot android by default {DONE in 0.8.2}
      • Check md5 of rootfs archive
      • Encryption for linux partition
    • FSCK check & fix rootfs before mounting {DONE in 0.8.2}
    • GPIO keys {partially in 0.8.0}
    • Switch rootfs to 13.4 (link) {partially}
    • Bluetooth
      Try this: /system/bin/brcm_patchram_plus --bd_addr `cat /etc/bluetooth/bt_addr` --enable_hci --enable_lpm --no2bytes --tosleep 50000 --baudrate 4000000 --use_baudrate_for_download --patchram /lib/firmware/bcm4334.hcd --i2s=1,0,0,0 /dev/ttySAC0&
    • Totem and nvgst modules
    • Go to Wayland+Weston+libhybris to use egl android drivers
    • Disable speaker if headphones connected

Additional:

Need help:
    • Suspend to RAM - Not working with X (trace), without X (stop lightdm) - suspended, but not wake.
      1. Wakelock to emmc
      2. Wake up: echo "on" > /sys/power/state or powerbutton (maybe with kernel patching)
    • Totem - now is not working
      gstreamer-properties and set Audio->Output=Custom, Audio->Output->Pipeline="nv_omx_audiosink" and Video->Output=Custom, Video->Output->Pipeline="nvxvimagesink"
    • HDMI copy of screen (any ideas?)
      • Xorg configuration shows blue lines on HDMI screen
      • Not working properly with 1920x1080: `xrandr --output LVDS-1 --auto --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080` - I get "xrandr: Configure crtc 1 failed"
      • Tested on different display with fullhd support - seems like tegra3 drivers problem
      • Works ok with 1280x800:
        xrandr --newmode `gtf 1280 800 60 | tail -n2 | head -n1 | sed 's/ Modeline //'`
        xrandr --addmode HDMI-1 1280x800_60.00
        xrandr --output LVDS-1 --auto --output HDMI-1 --auto
    • HDMI audio (any ideas?)
    • Adobe Flash player (any ideas?)
    • Skype (any ideas?)

List of optimizations:
    • ZRam {DONE}
    • UKSM (Ultra Kernel Samepage Merging) {DONE} (info in Russian)
    • CPU optimizations {partially}
      • Clemsyn OC 1.3 - 1.8ghz 650GPU Kernel {DONE in 0.6.2} - seems like not properly working on AndroidRoot hacked bootloader
    • Boot optimizations {partially}
      • Initrd scripts {DONE in 0.6.2}
      • Kernel modules upgrade from initrd {DONE in 0.7.1}
    • IO optimizations {partially}
      • Some optimizations of filesystem mounting {partially in 0.6.2}
      • Install to device main emmc memory {DONE in 0.7.0}
    • Power optimizations:
      • Screen off on lid
      • RAM Sleep
      • Powersave, Auto and Performance modes

Plans for the future:
    • Prepare common installer for any tegra3 device.

Test builds:
    • Nope

If you can help in development - please, write here.
    Hi, Guys! I'm back.
    I'm completely loose my data on my encrypted notebook by replacing luks headers :eek: , but this is not big problem (praise github! :laugh:)

Current plans till 13 Jan:
    • prepare installer into rootfs
    • switch from img to tar rootfs
    • simplify install process.
    Hey, guys!)) Happy NY!

I prepare new release with installer to main memory 8-10 Jan.
    Thanks, guys, for your desire to support development - I added the paypal button, but I do not really need the money. I do this porting mostly for myself))

Once again, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas! I left my computer for a small vacation))
    No rush or disrespect intended... Any progress?

Hmmm... Some progress:
    - Rollback to previous kernel
    - Directory replace of img files - switched to chroot and blocked by mountall upstart task
    - No progress in 13.04 - blocked by dir replace...

Earlier this week I finished a vacation that had no access to the north of the development. Also, I started another project in this now tf700 enthusiasm waned a bit.
    But I plan to complete the integration of the 13.04 until the end of July.
    Hi everyone,

I've been working on getting ArchLinuxArm running on the TF300 over at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1918849

Just something that might help with your touchscreen - you should be able to get basic functionality if you use the xf86-input-mtev driver (see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-mtev-meego/ )

While less than ideal, it's better than nothing. We have the same issue with X segfaulting when the evdev driver is used. I actually looked into that, and it has to do with the way events are reported by the kernel driver, if I remember correctly.