Root without unlocking bootloader

Search This thread

filthygoat223996

Oct 4, 2012
Hey guys I was wondering if there was a way to root the n10 without unlocking the bootloader first
I'm sharing my n10 with my parents who aren't very techy

Sent from my Amaze 4G using xda app-developers app

harrisfayyaz

Oct 30, 2011
Hey guys I was wondering if there was a way to root the n10 without unlocking the bootloader first

yes there is a very easy way to do that you dont need to unlock your device for that. go to this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2015467 , download the nexus 10 toolkit and install the drivers , enable debugging on your device, then select root unroot options , from there choose root + install busy box , then select superSU. and you are good to go , root without unlocking or any custom recovery.

Reactions: filthygoat223996

filthygoat223996

Oct 4, 2012
yes there is a very easy way to do that you dont need to unlock your device for that. go to this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2015467 , download the nexus 10 toolkit and install the drivers , enable debugging on your device, then select root unroot options , from there choose root + install busy box , then select superSU. and you are good to go , root without unlocking or any custom recovery.

Great and does it work for multiuser?

filthygoat223996

Oct 4, 2012
And if a new os comes out all I have to do is unroot right?

trickster2369

Feb 15, 2011
SD
From what I've read here, root only works for the primary user. I could be wrong, but you might want to do some more research on that subject.

filthygoat223996

Oct 4, 2012
From what I've read here, root only works for the primary user. I could be wrong, but you might want to do some more research on that subject.

That would be fine actually b/c I don't want to provide my technologically weak parents with super user powers lol
But I just don't want to go through the trouble of unlocking and losing my data

HansiHusten

Dec 19, 2006
Sorry harrisfayyaz, but are you sure?
I rooted my N10 some days ago with this tool and tried it without Unlocking. It did not work for me - app told me I have to unlock first before rooting. Just would like to know if I was just dumb or not ^^

HansiHusten

Dec 19, 2006
I dont want to doubt what you are writing but the OP from the topic says:

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

well i have already unlocked so... whatever :)

filthygoat223996

Oct 4, 2012
Use this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2003938. It works for 100%. I did it already twice (once on 4.2.1 and then again on 4.2.2). Nexus is rooted, but lock is still there. Run *.bat file without unlocking - it works.

The op said if you were using a retail device you might have to unlock the boot loader first, did you get yours through the play store?

mieszk3

Nov 18, 2008
Poznan
No, through Amazon from US. So in my opinion you always can try. In worse case if it requires unlock it doesn't root your Nexus.
I also read first post but in next part of thread users noticed that unlock is unnecessary. I tried it twice and works every time :)

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

I dont want to doubt what you are writing but the OP from the topic says:

well i have already unlocked so... whatever :)
After root, lock your Nexus by NRT.

filthygoat223996

Oct 4, 2012
this method worked for me
however it was a pain to get drivers working, i had to get universal naked drivers
one question, will future otas work?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Use this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2003938. It works for 100%. I did it already twice (once on 4.2.1 and then again on 4.2.2). Nexus is rooted, but lock is still there. Run *.bat file without unlocking - it works.
    Should work as long as you don't change system files (OTA checks hash codes of them).
    I also used universal naked drivers.