[Q] Trouble installing CM6 on my HTC Hero (CDMA)

Search This thread

douglaspott

Mar 6, 2011
Hope someone can help me here...I already rooted my CDMA HTC Hero and was in process of installing the CM6 zip file from my sd card through ClockworkMod Recovery...After rebooting, It just shows the HTC screen and it just sits there. I took the battery out and reset back to the original...I am running 2.15 update and a build of 2.32.651.2...This is my first time rooting/modifying a phone...Thanks

TJinWV

Oct 29, 2010
Fairmont, WV
Hope someone can help me here...I already rooted my CDMA HTC Hero and was in process of installing the CM6 zip file from my sd card through ClockworkMod Recovery...After rebooting, It just shows the HTC screen and it just sits there. I took the battery out and reset back to the original...I am running 2.15 update and a build of 2.32.651.2...This is my first time rooting/modifying a phone...Thanks

How long did it just sit there? Starting up a new ROM the first time sometimes takes a few minutes or more. It it's not rebooting itself, let it sit and load.

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
maybe

more info is needed to help you. What steps did you take EXACTLY? get long winded. Like what root method, what recovery, what wipe process, what flash process, etc.

douglaspott

Mar 6, 2011
Okay...I used Z4Mod and went with a permanent root (seemed to be successful)...I grabbed the free version of ROM manager from the mkt place...I then flashed Clockwork Recovery in ROM Mgr...Finally, I selected "Install ROM from SD Card." A prompt showed up and I selected "Backup Existing ROM" and "Wipe Data and Cache." After checking OK, it rebooted and froze on the HTC screen for 15+ minutes two times. I have two zip files on my sd card: "update-cm-6.1.0-RC1-Heroc-signed.zip" and "gapps-mdpi-20101213-signed.zip" This is as far as I could get...thanks!

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
Well when you chose to backup existing rom that was good. When you chose to wipe data that was bad. Now your phone can't boot into anything because you wiped all of your data. But you were smart and made a backup. A general rule of thumb at least IMO
Is only wipe data if your flashing a new rom or having trouble with an exiting one. With that being said. Just boot into recovery by
Holding home and power until you see your recovery
Then look for an option that says install update zip from sd or update from sd. I don't use clockwork mod but I'm sure its something to that effect. Then choose install from sd or what ever the option was. Then you should see your two rom zips on your sd choose which one to install,let it finish and reboot. Being a fresh install it might take a minute. Or if you want to go back to your factory rom just look for an option that says restore and choose your backup you made when you used rom manger. Hope this helps good luck.

Yea its me Again With the
Modified Hero-

TJinWV

Oct 29, 2010
Fairmont, WV
Okay...I used Z4Mod and went with a permanent root (seemed to be successful)...I grabbed the free version of ROM manager from the mkt place...I then flashed Clockwork Recovery in ROM Mgr...Finally, I selected "Install ROM from SD Card." A prompt showed up and I selected "Backup Existing ROM" and "Wipe Data and Cache." After checking OK, it rebooted and froze on the HTC screen for 15+ minutes two times. I have two zip files on my sd card: "update-cm-6.1.0-RC1-Heroc-signed.zip" and "gapps-mdpi-20101213-signed.zip" This is as far as I could get...thanks!

Instead of installing from ROM Manager, select the option to Reboot Into Recovery.

From there, select Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then select Wipe Cache Partition, then go into Advanced and select Wipe Dalvich Cache.
Once those steps are complete, go back to the main menu and select Install zip from SD Card, then select Choose zip from SD Card. Find the CM zip and select it.
Once it completes, select Install zip from SD card again, find the gapps zip and select it.
Go back to the main menu again, and select Reboot now.

douglaspott

Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for all of your assistance. Where can I find a current, stable 6.1 download file? I will replace it on my sd card before going forward.

Also, how do I get to the boot/recovery screen? When I choose recovery, it freezes with the HTC screen...I have success getting the phone back to original when I select fastUSBboot, or something similar to that...

Last edited:

TJinWV

Oct 29, 2010
Fairmont, WV
Trying powering off, then press and hold the Home button while you press and release (don't hold) the Power button.

If that doesn't work, try pressing the volume up button while pressing the Power button.

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
Turn off the phone and hold volume down and power. A white screen will appear from there press the home button. It will take a good 15 to 20 seconds to get into recovery. Are you waiting long enough???
Or power off phone and hold power and home untill it boots into your recovery remember it takes a few seconds 10 to 15 seconds

Modified Hero-

douglaspott

Mar 6, 2011
I selected the home key to get into recovery...after 10+ minutes of showing the HTC screen, I think there is something wrong. This goes back to the same issue when I originally attempted to install the CM ROM - it was supposed to reboot into recovery but instead restarted into a frozen HTC screen. What ele can I do? Can I just go back to original and try all over again? I had to take the battery out and reset the device...

douglaspott

Mar 6, 2011
After Fastbooting, I lost network access and can't get into the marketplace...When I go into ROM manager to restore the backup, it just sits and looks like it is working on it...How long should this take? Is 10 min too long?

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
So your able to boot into your rom right.??? So just go to rom manger and choose flash alternate recovery. Place a different recovery on your sd and flash it. Or just flash the clockwork recovery. Basically I think you need to get into recovery first.

Modified Hero-

douglaspott

Mar 6, 2011
I think you're right as far as getting into recovery being the key...Since my network is down, I had to try "Flash Alternative Recovery," but it showed "An error occurred while flashing your recovery" ...Is there another alternative to getting a new recovery installed?

douglaspott

Mar 6, 2011
My network connection just started working...I had to uncheck and recheck the connect to network...Clockwork recovery finally worked and I was able to install 6.0 and the Google apps...Thanks for all of your help! I do have one additional question - How do I set up my apps to store on the sd card instead of the internal memory? Thanks again

xmalfunction

Apr 4, 2012
I'm having a similar issue as OP.

This is my first time trying to load CM7 on my Hero CDMA. I rooted my phone successfully and then installed Amon_Ra's Recovery (v1.6.2) and wiped the data/Dalvik-cache and then flashed CM7 and Google Apps. Everything seemed to install without problem.

However, when I reboot the device it doesn't get past the initial "HTC" screen.

I then attempted to use adb to look at the logs but when I boot into recovery mode and enable USB mode, the computer doesn't recognize an HTC device/serial:

c:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
000000000000 recovery

and trying to access the logs or run shell commands through adb fails.

It's been stuck on the "HTC" logo for 10 minutes; I'm not sure if I just need to wait it out or if something has gone awry. Did I just brick my phone or can this be salvaged?

xmalfunction

Apr 4, 2012
I managed to flash whatever I had backed up from nandroid, but it's incredibly unstable. Took several resets and almost an hour stuck on the "HTC" splash screen before booting. I have missed calls and can make them, which is a good sign, but I'm repeatedly hit with an error "The application Setup Wizard (process com.android.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.".

I can't post pastebin links since I'm new, but I have dumps of logcat and /proc/last_kmsg.

At this point I'd be happy to either get CM working OR revert back to a stable stock ROM.

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
How did you root ???
Also what's your baseband/ radio ??
Also what hboot are you currently on ??

Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

xmalfunction

Apr 4, 2012
I needed to have a phone so I took it back to Sprint and they were able to do a factory reset. So while I'm glad it's not bricked, I'd prefer to have a better ROM on here.

I rooted using the following set of commands:

adb push asroot2 /data/local/
adb shell
chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/bin
cat sh > su
chmod 4755 su

Firmware version 1.5
Baseband version: 1.04.01.09.21
Kernel version: 2.6.27-533ce29d htc-kernel@and18-2
Build number: 1.56.651.2 CL85027 release-keys
Software version: 1.56.651.2
Hardware version: 0002

I'm not sure how to find out the hboot version.

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
When you first rooted or before did you make a backup/nandroid ?? Also after you rooted did you flash a recovery ??

Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope just flash the zip VIA bootloader if you go darchs method. I'll upload the zip.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\