FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

What's my cheapest option to trial GPS Navigation?

69 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By DotN, Member on 7th January 2006, 12:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all

I'm toying with the idea of getting a GPS based navigation system to use with my QTEK 2020i.

I think that the Navigator kits are quite pricey for someone who isn't sure they;lll get the use out of them though.

What's my cheapest option if I wanted to try this stuff out?

I don't mind buying a generic GPS receiver as I'm sure I can use it for something else (!?????) other than satnav.

Is it as simple as buying one of those £29 GPS reciever jobbys off ebay and then downloading a trial version of tomtom???

Cheers all

Wayne

8th January 2006, 03:51 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
there is no version for trialing tomtom. your best bet would be to to buy a kit from 1 of the online shops to be honest and i wouldn't recomend ebay as they are not legal copy's and hence don't work properly
8th January 2006, 07:42 PM |#3  
OP Member
Somerset

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-c1

there is no version for trialing tomtom. your best bet would be to to buy a kit from 1 of the online shops to be honest and i wouldn't recomend ebay as they are not legal copy's and hence don't work properly

eh?

So I can't download like a 30-day trial!...How do they expect people to know if the product is anygood?

I know it probably is but that for me isn't the point...I want to see if I'll actually use it and how I'll use it, that's how I'll know if it's worth me buying it.

Cheers

Wayne
8th January 2006, 09:47 PM |#4  
Flag The NORTH
Thanks Meter: 7

Donate to Me
More
Well, I bought a Qstarz BT-Q880 32-channel GPS receiver, which works excellently with the XDA 2i and TomTom 5.

However, I did download TomTom 5 via BitTorrent... Purely for evaluation purposes. Of course.

If you have €369 to lend me (with long-term repayments at a low interest rate) so I can buy the damn thing straight away, then hell I'll buy it straight away. I do think they charge an arm and a leg - and the Plus maps (the more detailed versions of the maps) cost a good €150 extra - at least.

The long and short of it is that you'll have to break the law in some way or another if you want to evaluate GPS software before you make your own purchase of the software - which I do intend to do when I have the cash (Uni students don't really have that much spare to be honest, but I do buy the software for my XDA whenever I can).
9th January 2006, 12:03 PM |#5  

More
just to say though, no matter how you aquire the software, a basic GPS receiver is still gonna cost you around £45 - £50 via Ebay.

And I'm not sure what other use you would have for it other than SatNav, except maybe wifi hotspot logging.
9th January 2006, 12:40 PM |#6  
Flag The NORTH

Donate to Me
More
Geocacheing!
9th January 2006, 01:43 PM |#7  
OP Member
Somerset

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajet

just to say though, no matter how you aquire the software, a basic GPS receiver is still gonna cost you around £45 - £50 via Ebay.

And I'm not sure what other use you would have for it other than SatNav, except maybe wifi hotspot logging.

still, that's a lot cheaper than paying £££ on TomTom!

If I did it this way and then used a less-than-legit version to trial it, I could then upgrade to a proper version later and then sell the GPS receiver.

If I buy TomTom now and don't use/like it then I stand to loose a lot more money (especially seeing as the general impression people seem to have is that TomTom on ebay is fake or no good).

...you see my predicament

Cheers

Wayne
10th January 2006, 01:41 PM |#8  

More
If you did fancy Geocaching or even just the chance of an Ordanace survey map. I recommend 'aquiring' a copy Memory Map too. I have both on my xda iis, Tomtom drives you to the local area, and memory map will plot everything after that.
10th January 2006, 04:16 PM |#9  
Flag The NORTH

Donate to Me
More
Now that sounds like a plan...
10th January 2006, 05:13 PM |#10  
OP Member
Somerset

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajet

If you did fancy Geocaching or even just the chance of an Ordanace survey map. I recommend 'aquiring' a copy Memory Map too. I have both on my xda iis, Tomtom drives you to the local area, and memory map will plot everything after that.

Geowhating? Sorry to sound dumb but you've lost me now :S

Cheers

Wayne
10th January 2006, 05:15 PM |#11  

More
dispite all it's bad press on most websites tomtom on the whole is a very good product ,i persoanlly havn't had any reall issues with tomtom apart from the problem being the sd card being to slow with the 2i , i've signed up for the traffic updates which i find to be about 90% correct
i also think most of the problems arise because people are using illegal versions
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)