FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

What's my cheapest option to trial GPS Navigation?

69 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By DotN, Member on 7th January 2006, 12:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th January 2006, 05:15 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
dispite all it's bad press on most websites tomtom on the whole is a very good product ,i persoanlly havn't had any reall issues with tomtom apart from the problem being the sd card being to slow with the 2i , i've signed up for the traffic updates which i find to be about 90% correct
i also think most of the problems arise because people are using illegal versions

10th January 2006, 05:23 PM |#12  
OP Member
Somerset
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-c1

dispite all it's bad press on most websites tomtom on the whole is a very good product ,i persoanlly havn't had any reall issues with tomtom apart from the problem being the sd card being to slow with the 2i , i've signed up for the traffic updates which i find to be about 90% correct
i also think most of the problems arise because people are using illegal versions

Not sure I agree with the problems all being down to illegal copies (more so on the 2i).

This is my main concern. If I shell out for an app that crashes etc with little to no support/help from TomTom.

As it is I will probably try a dodgy copy and if it's stable I'll get a proper version. I know that a bad copy may be the cause of the crashes but with TomTom not supplying a trial copy how do they expect people to make an informed decision? You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you?!

Nearly all software (including that on the Pocket PC platform) provide trial versions. I've even seen some posts on here to suggest that TomTom used to do this...but not now for some reason?

Lost business I say.

Cheers

Wayne
10th January 2006, 06:28 PM |#13  
Flag lancashire
Thanks Meter: 2

More
dotn got to halford and have play with a tomtom go or one the app is the same as is the maps as anis the andy says there have been problems with the 2i this is mainly down to a hardware issue the way round it most users have found is to get a the fastest sd card you can find currently mappopolis is the olny vendor to have a 30 day trial
11th January 2006, 12:49 AM |#14  
Flag The NORTH
Thanks Meter: 7

Donate to Me
More
Aye, I must say for the record that TomTom on my 2i MOSTLY works fine, it only crashes out if you do something like try to use the Ring Number feature - it'll show the screen, but as soon as you select the Point Of Interest category you want, it has a think about it then crashes back to the desktop.

The same if you load up too many Points of Interest on a map, I've also found. I guess that's most likely down to the fairly old SD card I have, an old PNY 256Mb card - but it does the job very nicely, and just has enough space on it (6.66Mb! remaining) to store the TT files, the Netherlands map and the Great Britain Plus map. If you want to load more maps though, you'll definitely need the 1Gb card, the France plus map is something like 370mb - and the main Western Europe map is even bigger.
11th January 2006, 10:29 AM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotN

Geowhating? Sorry to sound dumb but you've lost me now :S

Cheers

Wayne

I can't say I've ever tried it, but Geocaching is a bit of a GPS treasure hunt. People leave these caches hidden in "interesting" places and provide the GPS coordinates to a website, then other people can use their GPS devices to locate the cache and leave a message in the notebook, take photos with the camera or maybe even recieve a little prize. It's for those odd people who go outside, when they could be huddled up in the warm over their PC's

If that vaguely interests you you could look at
http://www.gagb.org.uk/
11th January 2006, 04:16 PM |#16  
Co Wicklow, Republic of Ireland
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Re: What's my cheapest option to trial GPS Navigation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotN

Hi all

I'm toying with the idea of getting a GPS based navigation system to use with my QTEK 2020i.

I think that the Navigator kits are quite pricey for someone who isn't sure they;lll get the use out of them though.

What's my cheapest option if I wanted to try this stuff out?

I don't mind buying a generic GPS receiver as I'm sure I can use it for something else (!?????) other than satnav.

Is it as simple as buying one of those £29 GPS reciever jobbys off ebay and then downloading a trial version of tomtom???

Cheers all

Wayne

www.mapopolis.com
11th January 2006, 06:28 PM |#17  
Flag The NORTH

Donate to Me
More
Mapopolis looks promising from the site, their bundles are quite handy if you don't want all the extra steps of buying the phone holder, buying the carkit... All of which I did, hasssssssle - I do think I would miss the nifty 3D view which TomTom displays whilst you're navigating your way through the world, but I guess that's only because I'm feeling spoilt now.

When it comes to caching, geocaching.com used to be one of the definitive sources of info on the net, but it's suffering server problems at the moment.

Other good sites:
http://www.gpss.tripoduk.com/caching/
http://www.gagb.org.uk/guidelines/guidelines.php - deserves a second mention, as it's a very useful site...
And of course, http://www.geocaching.org.uk/ ! Get caching kiddos.
13th January 2006, 09:52 PM |#18  

More
mapopolis
download mapopolis demo and ill show u how to register it free...its good software and free!
14th January 2006, 10:29 AM |#19  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherwoods

Aye, I must say for the record that TomTom on my 2i MOSTLY works fine, it only crashes out if you do something like try to use the Ring Number feature - it'll show the screen, but as soon as you select the Point Of Interest category you want, it has a think about it then crashes back to the desktop.

have you upgraded your tomtom as mine did exactly the same till the new upgrade i havn't had to soft reset since then
14th January 2006, 07:34 PM |#20  
Flag The NORTH

Donate to Me
More
I don't have to soft reset, the program just crashes back to the Today screen. I don't really need to use the Ring Number feature anyway, kinda pointless as I can just 118 500.

The issue is moot anyway, since I'm using a less-than-100%-legitimate copy... I'm sure once I have a job post-University I'll be able to afford to buy it, but until then I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)