Difference between nandroid backup & Titanium backup?

Search This thread

patricia10

Feb 7, 2015
Confused a little :(

ok so if a use nandroid for backing up my phone image (i.e. OS, apps, settings) and then flash a new rom.... do i still have to go back to nandroid to redeem my settings?? if so then will the old rom be redeemed too?? :eek: :confused:

dansou901

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus 5
OnePlus Nord
ok so if a use nandroid for backing up my phone image (i.e. OS, apps, settings) and then flash a new rom.... do i still have to go back to nandroid to redeem my settings?? if so then will the old rom be redeemed too?? :eek: :confused:

Yes. As posted earlier in this thread: Nandroid backups are full system images. To restore them, you restore the whole system, so your old ROM. If you want to get the old apps to a new ROM, you should use Titanium Backup which backups only apps and the settings / data of these apps. Afetr installing your new ROM alongside Titanium Backup, you can decide to restore only the apps or the data / settings of the apps as well.

Yooperjusty

Account currently disabled
Sep 30, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
i have another question. My phone was freezing up randomly and I could not figure out the reason. The only thing changed was a new charger for my s5. So, I did a nandroid and titanium backup. I wiped the phone and tried restoring with titanium backup in hopes it would resolve my problem, however, i've been running into problems with titanium backup and am now restoring the nandroid backup. SO, my question to you guys is, if I had a freeze up problem and want to start fresh and keep all my apps and data, on the same rom, is there a difference between restoring with titanium versus nandroid in trying to resolve my previous freezing problem? I really hope one of you guys on here can help me with this, as it's really frustrating me in trying to solve this problem!i have another question. My phone was freezing up randomly and I could not figure out the reason. The only thing changed was a new charger for my s5. So, I did a nandroid and titanium backup. I wiped the phone and tried restoring with titanium backup in hopes it would resolve my problem, however, i've been running into problems with titanium backup and am now restoring the nandroid backup. SO, my question to you guys is, if I had a freeze up problem and want to start fresh and keep all my apps and data, on the same rom, is there a difference between restoring with titanium versus nandroid in trying to resolve my previous freezing problem? I really hope one of you guys on here can help me with this, as it's really frustrating me in trying to solve this problem!

arj2jony

Jun 25, 2016
Dhaka
You don't need two of the same thing. I haven't used titanium but nandroid is a, if you will, what-you-see-is-what-you-get backup....what I mean by this is it will back up your phone in the exact state it is...you can't choose to exclude this or that, etc. I prefer mybackup pro because the one time I used titanium I couldn't figure out what to do cuz the GUI was so scrub. That's just me tho.

Sent From My HTC Aria Using XDA App
Thanks for the post bro. But i can't understand properly. Can you make it more clear.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think the main difference is that nandroid will restore everything back the way it was through recovery. With Titanium Backup, you can backup your apps+data and restore them if you flash a new ROM. So like if you upgrade to the latest version of CM6 or Liberated, you can carry your apps over. If you restore the nandroid, it will restore the old ROM too.
    NANDroid backup is a complete image of your phone: the OS, apps, data, everything. So if you screw up your phone, like making it unbootable, or accidentally wiping it clean, you can restore the image and everything will be back to the way it was when you did the backup.

Titanium Backup is an app in your OS that backs up other apps, their data, and some system data / user settings. It's usually used, for example, for restoring apps and their data after a clean install, where you've wiped everything clean.

The two options are fundamentally different, but do have some overlap.
    Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but at least it's better than making a new one! :)

From what I've read in this thread, I understand a bit better about the difference.

I've also read that it's important to save nandroid back up on PC in case you lose your phone.

Therein lies my next 2 questions.

1. If I want to use a nandroid backup on the replacement, it should be exactly the same phone, otherwise there might be a problem with the compatibility of the ROM stored in the nandroid and the phone. Right?

2. If I want to use a titanium backup on the replacement, I can use it on any phone, except I should not restore the SYSTEM apps. Right?

If (2) is correct, then we should also keep a titanium backup on the PC?

Part of my reason is also, I plan to switch from Desire HD to SGS3 and I hope to keep both pretty similar with slightly different interface. I plan to root my SGS3 and use titanium to restore some things from my DHD to SGS3. Using a nandroid on the new SGS3 will be a FATAL mistake right?

I know this is not a DHD forum, but the technicalities are the same, so I hope it's no offense asking these questions here!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Oops forgot to add!

I'm using 4ext instead of CWM. In a brief reading, I've found that 4ext has it's own backup which is not nandroid. But backing up from 4ext is the same as doing a nandroid backup? In which case, every "nandroid" in the earlier post can just be replaced with "4ext backup" accordingly.

If this is a stupid question, just scold me, I'm still learning and asking as I'm reading. Just trying not to create new threads. :)
    1. Correct. Its highly likely that there will be issues (device won't boot) on almost every occasion.

2. Yes. You may also want to exclude "app data," since it may cause a bootloop or system instability (on some occasions). You could keep a Tb backup if you wish.

It won't be a fatal mistake, but the device will just not boot up (soft-brick). You would have to boot into recovery mode a restore/flash a rom made for the device.

Yes, that's correct.
    glad i read this thread. it clear up a lot of questions i have.

the only other question i want to ask is what is difference between ClockWorkMod and Nandroid backup?

I heard CWM is an Nandroid backup so does this mean Nandroid backup is a general term for system back up ? or is it an actual program?

You heard wrong about ClockworkMod. ClockworkMod is a recovery. Nandroid backup is not an actual program, but a backup of your entire system which can be done through ClockworkMod (it's an option).
    Just to confirm that means that if I use titanium backup, it can backup the exact same things as Nandroid backup but you can use it for your new ROM?

Always make both before flashing a new ROM. If everything goes according to plan, run Titanium to restore all your apps into the new ROM. If something goes wrong, you can use Nandroid to restore your phone to pre-flash state.

Also, you should copy the Nandroid file to your computer. If your phone is ever lost or stolen and you get a new one, you can restore it to your old phone's image.