[ROM] Stock rooted 6.3

Search This thread

mugabuga

Dec 11, 2011
Madison, WI
I just tried to flash it and TWRP gave me "E: Unable to open ZIP file" Now it's just sitting there. What do I do? Any way to quit TWRP?

Last edited:

ViciousCircle

Aug 4, 2008
Columbus
trying to get the amazon video working. What was the entry removed from init.omap4430.rc that ran check_rooted at boot? I'm wondering if I put that back as well as the check_rooted file, would that make the amazon video work? I wanted to give it a try, but wasn't sure what the exact entry in the init.omap file was...

Thanks.

Rodhargis

Jan 8, 2011
Iowa
trying to get the amazon video working. What was the entry removed from init.omap4430.rc that ran check_rooted at boot? I'm wondering if I put that back as well as the check_rooted file, would that make the amazon video work? I wanted to give it a try, but wasn't sure what the exact entry in the init.omap file was...

Thanks.

I used OTA Rootkeeper from the Market then had to reboot the kindle after temporarily removing root and Amazon Video worked fine.. When I was finished I just restored root and rebooted and my kindle was rooted again.

If I helped please don't forget to push the Thanks Button
Rod

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Just wanted to thank you for building this, saved me a lot of hassle since my PC seems to have trouble loosing adb connection to the kindle, plus I am not the sharpest tack in the drawer but am slowly learning the commands.

One question and I am sure I know the answer just need a confirmation. I originally installed the secure version, can I just update with the insecure one after wiping dalvek and regular cache?

Thanks Again
Rod
:D

Reactions: ViciousCircle

ndoren

Apr 6, 2010
The reboot took care of it... thanks (and thanked :D )

If you don't want to do a full reboot, simply go into a task manager (GoLauncher Ex has one built-in) and kill the Amazon Video process after you've unrooted. Then go back into the app. Rebooting can be a bit of overkill because the whole effect is to kill the Amazon Video process. Neall

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
I just tried to flash it and TWRP gave me "E: Unable to open ZIP file" Now it's just sitting there. What do I do? Any way to quit TWRP?

If you can't get back into the TWRP menu you can hold down the power button to reboot. I'd try transferring it over to the Fire again to make sure it copied properly. Might also want to check the MD5 sum to make sure the download didn't get corrupted in transit.

One question and I am sure I know the answer just need a confirmation. I originally installed the secure version, can I just update with the insecure one after wiping dalvek and regular cache?

Yeah, that should work fine. You could also extract the boot.img from the unsecured version's zip file and then flash it with fastboot if you're comfortable with fastboot commands.

ndoren

Apr 6, 2010
Everything seems to work just fine after this update. THANKS!

Titanium backup complains that SU has the wrong permissions, but it's able to fix that to its satisfaction if you let it.

One question... the "Play Store" now wants to update my Superuser.apk app, but the download/install fails. Is there a way to update this? Neall

Last edited:

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
Everything seems to work just fine after this update. THANKS!

Titanium backup complains that SU has the wrong permissions, but it's able to fix that to its satisfaction if you let it.

One question... the "Play Store" now wants to update my Superuser.apk app, but the download/install fails. Is there a way to update this? Neall

Does the Play Store give a specific error or anything? Worst case, you could update it manually. You can get a recovery flashable zip from Superuser's website: http://androidsu.com/superuser/

ndoren

Apr 6, 2010
Does the Play Store give a specific error or anything?

Pretty cryptic... "Error: Update for "superser" could not be downloaded due to an error.. (941).
I ran a bunch of other market updates and they went just fine.

I tried the Superuser zip from the developers site even before you mentioned it. Errors there, too. Will detail soon. Neall

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

You can get a recovery flashable zip from Superuser's website: http://androidsu.com/superuser/

This probably isn't your issue or concern, but it came up so I'll mention it here.
I'm using DoomLord's CWM touch-based Recovery, Version 5.0.2.7. I've never had an issues with it before. I've installed Nandroids with it, kernels with it, and your update with it.

I tried to install Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip. It starts ok, but then I get the error:
Error in /sdcard/kindle/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip (status 0)
This happens after Find, update, verify, and installing... so it's not doing the final push. Could this be related to the market update error when trying the same thing?

The MD5sum check out. Happens whether or not I have asserts or signature verification enabled or not.

Last edited:

bigguyone

Mar 28, 2012
Baton Rouge
Hi not sure if i can use this but i can get my computer to see the kindle or if it dose it has yellow mark. tried to reinstall drivers, went to comand did the kill thing...tried runing adb devices i cant get anything working i do have TWRP on kindle but i dont think my 6.2 backed up so i think i lost all kindle O\S on it.

ndoren

Apr 6, 2010

Well, I tried to update Superuser again today, and it worked just fine. Who knows what went wrong before.

A week of hard use and no problems whatsoever with this update. This update is an EXCELLENT way to bring your rooted Kindle Fire up to version 6.3 without losing your root, bootloader or recovery. EXCELLENT JOB!!

Crazywhitie

Dec 7, 2010
Quick Question I did a Factory reset today and it deleted the Rom will only boot to Recovery? any Idea Why?

primetime34

Jul 18, 2011
I can't get the amazon app store to work. It isn't registering my account so I can't get any of the apps. Any help?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

jb0ne

Dec 7, 2011
Can I install this over 6.3.1?

I've been only using incremental rooted updates since about 6.2 or so. I'm now getting glitches in my kindle reader program and I kind of want to install a pre-rooted full stock ROM to see if that resolves it (since the kindle reader app can't just be downloaded, it's part of the system). But I'm already on 6.3.1. Does anyone know if there's a pre-rooted 6.3.1 just like this one that I can use?

OR alternately, if can I install this over my 6.3.1, putting me back to 6.3, then use the incremental update to get back to 6.3.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In keeping with my tradition of providing stock rooted ROMs, I've re-packaged the new 6.3 update. As with my past ones, this is completely stock except for modifications that provide root access. It does not attempt to block OTAs in any way, and it does not contain any extras like the Market.

This is a full ROM, not an incremental update, so it will wipe your /system partition when installing. If you're coming from a non-stock ROM you'll want to wipe data/cache, but if you're coming from a previous stock ROM you should be okay. This is tested in CWM (it's what I have onhand right now) but TWRP should also work.

Changes between this and a completely stock 6.3 ROM are:

REMOVED FROM ROM
    • The new /system/bin/check_rooted binary
    • Stock recovery image
    • Stock bootloader image
    • That goofy userdata-backup.zip

ADDED TO THE ROM
    • Superuser
    • su
    • busybox

CHANGES
    • Removed the entry from init.omap4430.rc that ran check_rooted at boot.
    • Set ro.secure=0 so adbd runs as root (insecure boot version only)
    • updater-script doesn't attempt to install recovery, bootloader, or userdata-backup.zip file since they are not in the ROM.
    • updater-script won't check your /system partition's size before installing. This means it will install on a /system partition that's been resized, but I have not tested this. My assumption is that if you resized /system you'll know how to handle any errors that you may encounter.

I'm providing secure and insecure boot images, as with my past versions. For those unfamiliar, insecure means adbd runs as root on your Fire so you get a root shell when you use adb to connect (i.e. you get # by default). Secure gives you a user shell (the $) by default, but you can still use 'su' to elevate to root.

DOWNLOADS
    Stock rooted 6.3, secure boot image (md5: 37f51cd2dfaf58baffac09135236de36)
    Stock rooted 6.3, insecure boot image (md5: e551a507ebc64fabe09f7d5387348585)​
    I would say probably yes since it's mostly stock, but I've never tried so I can't say for certain. Worst case should be that you bootloop, at which point you can always go back into recovery and wipe data, too.
    Just flashed over Modaco GR7 throught TWRP and everything went smoothly and fine!

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Perhaps the dumb question, shall I just download and flash it by TWRP like other CM Roms? Please excuse I am noob. Thank you
    Just Flashed through TWRP like any other rom (over modacos) and everything went fine !
    Can anyone confirm that the browser did not update to the newest version?

To access reading view, I was told "At the bottom of the display there is an eyeglass Icon tap it the screen says loading and you will have the view. Back arrow out of it."

I don't see an eyeglass icon on this rom.

It works for me, but only on certain web pages (I'm guessing ones that are text-heavy). Try viewing some random Wikipedia article, for example. The icon also doesn't appear until about a second or so after the page has completely finished loading.

Thanks.

I used OTA Rootkeeper from the Market then had to reboot the kindle after temporarily removing root and Amazon Video worked fine.. When I was finished I just restored root and rebooted and my kindle was rooted again.

If I helped please don't forget to push the Thanks Button
    Rod

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Just wanted to thank you for building this, saved me a lot of hassle since my PC seems to have trouble loosing adb connection to the kindle, plus I am not the sharpest tack in the drawer but am slowly learning the commands.

Thanks Again
    Rod
    :D