[Q] Desire S USB Brick

Search This thread
Hi all,

I have a friend and he came to me with a problem with his "Desire S" that I assume as "USB Brick". Here's the symptoms:

When I plugged into any computer, the phone doesn't come out with options about Disk Drive, HTC Sync, USB Teethering, nor Internet Pass-through, but just charge only. I did UNCHECK the remember option tick. The phone just charge

I go to bootloader:

instead of normal "fastboot usb" I get only "fastboot AC". The phone just charge.

The phone itself is fine: I can use card reader to put zip files into the sdcard and flash in recovery etc. But as i said fastboot usb doesn't detect, and adb push of course doesn't work as well.

USB Debugging is checked, "fast boot" in Menu>settings>power is unchecked.

from what I read across in the internet I'm positive that the issue I'm dealing here is USB brick.

So here's my question: Anyone faces the same problem and have fix for it?

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Why are you trying to solve HW problem with SW?

I don't know what is "USB brick", but there's no such thing. While you can screw up USB access in the OS, there's no way you can screw it up in the bootloader. If you read well and put attention, you'll see that all "USB brick" threads in Desire were in OS, and fastboot worked. The most likely reason for USB not working in fastboot is physical - one of the USB pins disconnected, either bent inside the microUSB socket of the phone (most likely), or broke off the main board (less likely). So the required fix is physical as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultimatepichu

I don't know what is "USB brick", but there's no such thing. While you can screw up USB access in the OS, there's no way you can screw it up in the bootloader. If you read well and put attention, you'll see that all "USB brick" threads in Desire were in OS, and fastboot worked. The most likely reason for USB not working in fastboot is physical - one of the USB pins disconnected, either bent inside the microUSB socket of the phone (most likely), or broke off the main board (less likely). So the required fix is physical as well.

Okay thanks, as I've said I don't know much about this issue either, and I thought it's like the common issues faced in Desire thread.

From the outward look it seems to me that the pins are fine. So i guess it is the pin on the mainboard got disconnected?

if so, is it possible for me to return to stock from this stage?

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
I guess you want to return your phone under warranty. You can try to flash the stock ROM through creating and flashing PB99IMG.ZIP (google it to see what it is and what it does - it's a file from SD card that is automatically flashed by HBOOT).

If you have no warranty - I'd suggest taking it to the nearest decent phone lab. If I'm not mistaken, the price for fixing will be low.

The pins might look fine, but one of the 5 might not be protruding enough to touch the plug pins.

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
Just to check some obvious things

Have you tried more than one PC?
Have you tried more than one USB cable?
Did you ever instal HTC drivers? You should find HTC sync exe in root of sd card

And just to correct a possible typo in the post above

- rename it to "PG88IMG.zip" (case sensitive)
- put it on the root of your SD card
- reboot into hboot and wait.

wyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim

Last edited:
I guess you want to return your phone under warranty. You can try to flash the stock ROM through creating and flashing PB99IMG.ZIP (google it to see what it is and what it does - it's a file from SD card that is automatically flashed by HBOOT).

If you have no warranty - I'd suggest taking it to the nearest decent phone lab. If I'm not mistaken, the price for fixing will be low.

The pins might look fine, but one of the 5 might not be protruding enough to touch the plug pins.

Sadly the warranty expired not long time ago. :S Okay, I'll tell him to take to the nearest phone lab.

Did you ever instal HTC drivers? You should find HTC sync exe in root of sd card

Tried on both his and my laptop. My DHD works fine with my comp and my cable so it's definitely not the cable problem. As for drivers, it should make sound when the phone is plugged in but it's not. And if my DHD works, I don't see any reason why the DS can't.

And thanks for more clarification about flashing the PG88IMG.zip in hboot :D

scorp121z

Oct 12, 2008
have had the same problem with my dhd. The problem seems to be intermittent on my phone, in that i got it working a few weeks ago by following the suggestions for the desire usb brick problem.(yes it did work for desire hd too)
By this i mean after numerous tries i got my laptop to be recognized at least in my computer(even though the sd card would not show)After
i used sdk tools and command promt and entered:-
fastboot oem eraseconfig
fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
fastboot oem boot
in that order.
After this my dhd mounted fine in 2 laptops at home and one pc
However about 2 days ago its has just stopped being rexcognized by my laptop or pc again,I have tried several times over the last few days but nothing works
I am convinced now it is an intermittent h/w propblem,
I am now using my phone explorer to access the sd card over wi fi so i don't have to remove it and insert it in laptop sd slot.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
If the phone is recognized by PC in fastboot mode, and phone screen shows "FASTBOOT USB" - it isn't a HW problem.

If the phone isn't recognized in fastboot mode - it is a HW problem.

This is a simple and 100% way to distinguish between so-called "USB bricks" and HW failure of USB slot / one of the USB lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultimatepichu

scorp121z

Oct 12, 2008
My phone does show every time in fastboot usb , but if i send a command via adb get 'waiting for device'.
However as I said in my previous post it was connecting every time a few days ago on 2 laptops and 1 pc.
Nothing has changed on the phone or the laptops since but now it has stopped responding again. It will not connect on laptop with or without using adb
I am going to try some different roms over the next few days, currently using Leedroid 5.1.1, but i am siick of spending hours and hours on it.
I think I can live with using my phone explore over wi fi(although its slower) and if I do need to copy something faster on or off the sd card, I unmount it and us it on my laptop slot with and SD adaptor

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Fastboot and ADB are TWO DIFFERENT ENTITIES.
You can't send ADB command when in fastboot.
You can't send fastboot command when in ADB.
To have ADB functional, you need the kernel to be loaded properly and at least start of Android boot.
To have fastboot functional, all you need to do is reboot to bootloader.

scorp121z

Oct 12, 2008
Jack_R1 thanks for the info.
I get waiting for device in fastboot usb mode and if I try adb commands with phone booted its no use because the pc or laptop does not even see the phone in device manager

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
If you get "waiting for device" - make sure all the drivers are installed in Windows. Look in Device Manager, see if you can find "Android bootloader" or "Android 1.0" device.

If there's none - you might have a HW problem on your hands.

scorp121z

Oct 12, 2008
I'm sure its a harware problem, but i have no problem charging , either from mains or usb from laptop or pc & sd card card works fine within phone.
Things I have tried on 2 laptops and 1 pc:-
uninstalled /reinstalled htc drivers and adb drivers
uninstalled htc sync totally and installed drivers only from Ace hack kit tools folder
tried different roms(gingerbread and ICS)
went back to stock rom 1.32
After trying all the above the phone is not recognized in laptop/pc device manager
I've decide the next phone I have will be one with 16gb or 32gb internal memory which is plenty, no need for sd card lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i saw that as well. the only problem is that flashing ruu requires fastboot no? (running the .exe file from pc which the phone is connected)

That's the part where mine can't work. Anything that must be done from comp doesn't work.

Thanks! :D

Im not sure what to do then mate but good luck in your ventures and hope you sort it ;)

If the phone is recognized by PC in fastboot mode, and phone screen shows "FASTBOOT USB" - it isn't a HW problem.

If the phone isn't recognized in fastboot mode - it is a HW problem.

This is a simple and 100% way to distinguish between so-called "USB bricks" and HW failure of USB slot / one of the USB lines.
    who is talking to who? :S

I was asking you, doesnt matter anymore, he was right, i think it is hardware related.

(Just wondering, does fastboot use normal kernel?)