Keeping Unlimited Data?

Search This thread

dch921

Jan 6, 2010
I wouldn't give up unlimited now, Just got 4G last week and have already burned through 10Gb in 1 week. Use to avg 4-6Gb on 3G in a month. I was able to upgrade my tablet to a phone and just add it to my family plan without changing what I already have. Will switch that out to a dumb phone once I get the Note 2

danutzz

Mar 24, 2011
Chicago
Has anyone been successful keeping their unlimited data plan and getting the upgrade price, without using an extra line? Is this in plain writing somewhere that you will be losing unlimited data if you order online? ...this sux that the best quality 4g service belongs too a **** company

No phone is worth losing your unlimited data. When and if Verizon starts capping the unlimited plan like AT&T, then make that decision, until then, consume away.

On a side note, spent the holidays at the in-laws w/ no high speed Internet access.. Consumed 14GB (re-imaged laptop and steamed my slingbox) in 2 days.. My average monthly usage is less than 6GB. Unlimited is the only way to go!

Sent from my iPhone 5

dominick_7

Feb 4, 2007
Do you think the Galaxy Note 2 is worth giving up unlimited data? I can only imagine how much data I would be using with this phone. I could imagine being limited. I couldn't see myself paying ful price to keep unlimited data going. Sprint nor Tmobile have LTE in my area.

Has anyone found a way around being pushed into the upgrade? I also found it obnoxious that they are charging a $30 upgrade fee and giving me a $50 upgrade discount at the same time lol.

There are two ways to keep unl1mi1ted.

1- Buy the phone at full retail price.

2- Use an upgrade on another line (WITHOUT using alternative upgrade) and just moving it from there to your line with unlimited.

The only thing that sucks is in order to keep unlimited no one can use your upgrade on your line with unlimited. Any informed rep will tell you the same thing, but I wouldn't ask them anyway as they may also just take that away too and call that a success while they piss everyone off even more than they already are with their Shared Data ripoff. Don't see how they are not being sued like they did when they did kinda the same thing with 3G.

Juice3250

My situation is that I have an unlimited 3g data plan. I've read that even if I were to buy a 4g phone at retail, when I try to activate it, I will be forced into a tiered 4g plan. Has anyone else heard of this? Because right now, this is the only thing keeping me from selling my Droid x2 and buying a galaxy nexus on Craigslist.

Sent from my MB870 using xda app-developers app

BlueHarford

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2010
Abingdon, MD
My situation is that I have an unlimited 3g data plan. I've read that even if I were to buy a 4g phone at retail, when I try to activate it, I will be forced into a tiered 4g plan. Has anyone else heard of this? Because right now, this is the only thing keeping me from selling my Droid x2 and buying a galaxy nexus on Craigslist.

not true... i added a line to my account for gnex and sgs3 and now note2.... then replaced them with standard phones i picked up for nothign to not pay the 30$ data. and stuck my 4g sim into the new phone.... still have unlimited data. no change in plan.

by law if they change your plan or force you to change it, with no agreement, there infact voiding the 2year contract you sign with them and you can then cancel your account and go to another provider.

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012

I have unlimited 3g and they said I should have no problem keeping unlimited 3g+4g as LONG as I don't upgrade my line. Iw ould call in and try again, I thinkt he rep you may have gotten may have been misinformed.

bigdad1963

Nov 20, 2011
Bluffton/Hilton Head area
not true... i added a line to my account for gnex and sgs3 and now note2.... then replaced them with standard phones i picked up for nothign to not pay the 30$ data. and stuck my 4g sim into the new phone.... still have unlimited data. no change in plan.

by law if they change your plan or force you to change it, with no agreement, there infact voiding the 2year contract you sign with them and you can then cancel your account and go to another provider.

More detailed if you don't mind. I have a gs3 with unlimited on it's own line and a separate shared plan for my wife and daughter and I would love to get a note 2 on my unlimited line when it comes out without paying full retail.

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012
More detailed if you don't mind. I have a gs3 with unlimited on it's own line and a separate shared plan for my wife and daughter and I would love to get a note 2 on my unlimited line when it comes out without paying full retail.

Add a line, upgrade with that line, activate note on your line, activate do phone on new line, and enjoy. Alternatively you can use one of the upgrades your daughter or wife have, and the switch their smart phone back after you transfer the note ii to your line.

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
Add a line, upgrade with that line, activate note on your line, activate do phone on new line, and enjoy. Alternatively you can use one of the upgrades your daughter or wife have, and the switch their smart phone back after you transfer the note ii to your line.

How does it come out to?

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012
How does it come out to?

if your daughter and wife have a line with an available upgrade, you will pay 299.99 + activation fee.

if you add a line, you will pay 299.99 + 11-12/month for 24 months (so essentially 244, this includes tax) + 30 activation fee.

so basically one way you get the note for 299.99 and the other way you get the note ii for 574 saving 120 some buckaroos.

also, you can add a new line/upgrade and get a $100 gift card from walmart if you order the note ii, so technically you can save 214 some dollars. logic behind this # is you can use the $100 gift card to buy a visa gift card, and i think there is like a $6 charge.

danutzz

Mar 24, 2011
Chicago
Well, I somehow managed to keep my unlimited while getting the upgrade pricing. See screenshot.

I'm not sure if the steps I did made the difference or if they're systems were buggy at the time or whatnot but I'll post what I did.

I went to upgrade my device, clicked "month-to-month" then selected the note II, titanium grey, yes to new sim, yes to global. Then it asks what plan, I clicked "Individual" then went back to "Keep current plan". When I went to the next screen, it did NOT prompt me to change my data to a tiered plan.

Anyway, maybe I got lucky somehow, or maybe someone else can do the same thing. Either way, good luck!

sjBXq.png

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012
Well, I somehow managed to keep my unlimited while getting the upgrade pricing. See screenshot.

I'm not sure if the steps I did made the difference or if they're systems were buggy at the time or whatnot but I'll post what I did.

I went to upgrade my device, clicked "month-to-month" then selected the note II, titanium grey, yes to new sim, yes to global. Then it asks what plan, I clicked "Individual" then went back to "Keep current plan". When I went to the next screen, it did NOT prompt me to change my data to a tiered plan.

Anyway, maybe I got lucky somehow, or maybe someone else can do the same thing. Either way, good luck!

sjBXq.png

It isn't the same prompt. That one you got I think is only for upgrading/new lines, but the actual part about unlimited to shared data I think is part of the agreement in the terms & conditions you 'sign' while getting the contract price. I would expect it to change automatically later and not instantly. In other words, I think you just lost your unlimited data.

In other words, I think you lost your data package.

danutzz

Mar 24, 2011
Chicago
It isn't the same prompt. That one you got I think is only for upgrading/new lines, but the actual part about unlimited to shared data I think is part of the agreement in the terms & conditions you 'sign' while getting the contract price. I would expect it to change automatically later and not instantly. In other words, I think you just lost your unlimited data.

No, the day before I tried ordering the phone at full price and it kept prompting me to change my data plan. Today it didn't prompt me for full retail, so I tried the upgrade, and that didn't prompt either. So, the contract I signed is to keep my features as is.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: asimoalex

pyaa

Mar 20, 2008
No, the day before I tried ordering the phone at full price and it kept prompting me to change my data plan. Today it didn't prompt me for full retail, so I tried the upgrade, and that didn't prompt either. So, the contract I signed is to keep my features as is.

It's a glitch in their system, i just tried it and it gave me the same option to use my upgrade and keep the unlimited data. I'm debating whether to risk losing it

danutzz

Mar 24, 2011
Chicago
It's a glitch in their system, i just tried it and it gave me the same option to use my upgrade and keep the unlimited data. I'm debating whether to risk losing it

I have the screen shot, so they should honor it.

If I lose it I'm gonna cancel my contract and go to tmobile.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Vegas863

Feb 22, 2010
Lakeland
I have 3 total lines - 2 with unlimited data and a 3rd with w/o a data plan. Fortunately, the 2 secondary lines are eligible for upgrade, but my primary line is not (nor would I upgrade on it and lose my unlimited data). So I placed my pre-order for one of the secondary lines, knowing that I will lose unlimited data on that line (my roommates who uses less than 1 GB a month and isn't interested in having new phones). After activating the Note 2 on his line I will then have is switched over to me, giving him my Galaxy Nexus and selling his Thunderbolt. Win-Win! :highfive:

I do have two question though...

1) Do I have to leave the Note 2 activated on the secondary line for a specific amount of time before switching it over to me, or I can activate it and then wait 5 minutes to switch it over to me?

2) Also, is it just as simple as switching out our SIM cards as we both currently have 4G phones?

locolbd

Apr 3, 2011
www.reggae141.com
As soon as you get the phone just call verzion from the phone with no data and tell them you want to swap the phones.

You may just need to swap out the sim cards but you can ask the rep when you call.

I used to do this all the time when to get cell phone sales.

BTW why don't you just do a buddy upgrade? Your roommate will still lose his unlimited data but it is less of a hassle.

I have 3 total lines - 2 with unlimited data and a 3rd with w/o a data plan. Fortunately, the 2 secondary lines are eligible for upgrade, but my primary line is not (nor would I upgrade on it and lose my unlimited data). So I placed my pre-order for one of the secondary lines, knowing that I will lose unlimited data on that line (my roommates who uses less than 1 GB a month and isn't interested in having new phones). After activating the Note 2 on his line I will then have is switched over to me, giving him my Galaxy Nexus and selling his Thunderbolt. Win-Win! :highfive:

1) Do I have to leave the Note 2 activated on the secondary line for a specific amount of time before switching it over to me, or I can activate it and then wait 5 minutes to switch it over to me?

2) Also, is it just as simple as switching out our SIM cards as we both currently have 4G phones?

Reactions: Vegas863

textron

Oct 16, 2008
Don't use the glitch. I just did and the email is different than the agreement on the website.

Last edited:

textron

Oct 16, 2008
I guess I'm just going to have to wait til it comes out to buy it off Craigslist. I had to cancel the order from the website glitch posted above because the email comfirmation said "Data Package 2GB with Email $30 (Smartphones - with Personal Email)" despite the website comfirming unlimited data. They claim the system is automated and there is no way to punch in discounted upgrade and keep your plan.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wish there was a way to keep the plan. It's crazy they try to force you off.

My replacement Fascinate is defective with the constant reboots and overheating while charging. I was going to replace under warranty but I dropped it and the screen cracked which they have already tried to blame that for the problems. Assurion wants 99 bucks for a replacement. They keep telling me that my data usage is low. Yeah, my phone dies in 4 hours and crashes most when I use my web browsers.

Prior to that I was using 3-6 gigs a month. LTE + 2gb a month is like getting a Lambo to drive only in a parking garage.
    I'm likely buying the phone outright and keeping the unlimited data. Even my wife doesn't want me to give up the unlimited data.

As soon as you get the phone just call verzion from the phone with no data and tell them you want to swap the phones.

You may just need to swap out the sim cards but you can ask the rep when you call.

I used to do this all the time when to get cell phone sales.

BTW why don't you just do a buddy upgrade? Your roommate will still lose his unlimited data but it is less of a hassle.

cant you transfer the upgrade to a different line then just switch phones? Without messing up the plans?

I only have 1 line though. I don't think it's worth a 2 year plan just to get unlimited data. I just as well buy phone straight up.