[REQUEST] Stock Recovery under KitKat doesn't start

Search This thread

rapunzel11

Feb 15, 2011
My Moto G is a german Retail Version.
Yesterday i've discovered that stock recovery under US GLOBAL RETAIL KK doesn't work anymore. Green Android with red warning sign. Everything else was working fine. So today i went back to my country specific jelly bean firmware and stock recovery also was fine again.

Now i've sideloaded the german OTA update for KitKat via ADB. And again, the stock recovery doesn't work.

What could be the matter?

Someone else here with the same problems?

Last edited:

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Not that I wish to sound condescending, but are you aware how stock recovery usually works? Static image that turns to a menu when you press power and volume up?

2hipso

Jan 4, 2014
Slovakia, Žilina
mine moto g is similiar

I have similiar question.

when I'm running fastboot there are this choices:
Normal powerup, Recovery, Factory, Switch console, Barcodes, BP tools

when I choose anything it will just power up the phone as normal powerup

krucymucy

Dec 14, 2012
It doesn't work for me either. I have UK retail device flashed to 4.4.2 US retail.
Did you use TWRP recovery to install SuperSU maybe?

rapunzel11

Feb 15, 2011
Not that I wish to sound condescending, but are you aware how stock recovery usually works? Static image that turns to a menu when you press power and volume up?

Not a problem for me. ;) But i know how to use the stock recovery menu on the moto g.
I've used it to sideload the KitKat OTA update. The matter is that it doesn't work under KitKat anymore.

It doesn't work for me either. I have UK retail device flashed to 4.4.2 US retail.
Did you use TWRP recovery to install SuperSU maybe?

Looks like the same problem. And i doesn't use any custom recovery to push root on the device.

But after i'm going back to my country specific (jelly bean) firmware, also the stock recovery works again.
And i was able to sideload the KK OTA via ADB. System runs perfectly after that. But the stock recovery doesn't work again.

Last edited:

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
I have similiar question.

when I'm running fastboot there are this choices:
Normal powerup, Recovery, Factory, Switch console, Barcodes, BP tools

when I choose anything it will just power up the phone as normal powerup

Have had the same issue on 4.3 , i went to recovery with adb: abd reboot recovery. Also on 4.4.2 i can`t get into recovery by pressing volume up and the power button, it boots up every time.

Last edited:

rapunzel11

Feb 15, 2011
Powerbutton is wrong, you have to choose an entry with volume down and then press Volumen up to accept it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using xda app-developers app

2hipso

Jan 4, 2014
Slovakia, Žilina
Have had the same issue on 4.3 , i went to recovery with adb: abd reboot recovery. Also on 4.4.2 i can`t get into recovery by pressing volume up and the power button, it boots up every time.

gee, to get to recovery your phone need to be turned off and then you must hold three buttons (power button and both volume buttons) for a few seconds

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

rapunzel11

Feb 15, 2011
@ makcode: Yes, i know. But I'm on stock recovery.

kaliberx

Oct 29, 2010
NRW
Thru Bootloader, if you choose !!stock!!recovery with Volume Up it is really that the recovery just's shows the Android with a red Sign on it. No Menu no nothing. That happend only since the KitKat OTA.

And then 2hipso is right : Holding both Volumes + power for just 1-2 seconds shows the Menu.

plus : They finally fixed the order od the Menu as it seems.

Last edited:

rapunzel11

Feb 15, 2011
How do you Boot into recovery? Over ADB?

JoukeHijlkema

Nov 27, 2009
gouzens
I have the same problem on a french moto G. I sideloaded kitkat and now I can't boot into recovery. Not with the power/volume button, not with the booloader and not with adb ....

rapunzel11

Feb 15, 2011
I dont think the reason is sideloading the OTA-Update. I had have the same Problem on the Global US bevore

2hipso

Jan 4, 2014
Slovakia, Žilina
well... maybe a bug

I did sideload OTA and my recovery menu is working... but if I choose something, nothing hapens. it will just turn on the phone

rapunzel11

Feb 15, 2011
I think you are not in the recovery menu. Wich entries do you see?

rapunzel11

Feb 15, 2011
Thats the same problem i have.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the solution. Boot into fastboot menu, choose 'recovery' with volume down and then press volume up. If you see the lying Android Robot press and hold the power button and both volume buttons together for 2 seconds and release them again. Seems to be a bug under KitKat, because under JB I was able to boot into recovery directly from fastboot menu.
    This also doesn't work for me. It only boot up to green Android Robot.

When you see that screen first press volume up and then tap the power button and you`ll get into recovery bro.