[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][4.4.4][3.4 Kernel] CyanogenMod 11.0 Nightlies (tenderloin)

Search This thread

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
It's been requested that I create a new thread for this so as not to clog up @milaq's thread.

As some of you may have seen in flintman's Evervolv and milaq's CM threads, there has been a lot of work on the 3.4 kernel for tenderloin. Its a pretty awesome feat to have this running on our good ol tenderloin. =)

The gratitude for this kernel and build needs to be given to almost anyone but me. (Flemmard, flintman, jcsullins, Dorregaray and everyone that came before me on this device (dalingrin, green, and other's I'm sure that I'm missing)). I've had my tenderloin for quite awhile but never really done much with it until recently.

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you nightlies of CM-11.0 for tenderloin with a 3.4 kernel and -caf based HALs. Basically what this means is we'll be running the latest code from codeaurora on our msm8660 tenderloin.

THERE WILL BE BUGS! This thing is not perfect. It is still in active development.

CURRENT BUGZ (in no particular order):
- Bluetooth steals battery, but DOES work (jcsullins) - also sixaxis app doesn't work =(
- Camera is a bit derpy still, major wip, it takes pictures though (Dorregaray)
- Other stuff? Probably, yea

Destructions: PLEASE READ
1. This is a /data/media rom (relevant). What that means is you should be partitioned with a very small 'media' partition and a very large 'data' partition. The benefit of this is that your /sdcard and /data partitions share the big chunk of your usable space, just like any newer phone does these days. Use TPToolbox to achieve the new partition scheme: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2756314
2. You'll need a recovery that has both /data/media support and selinux support. Any of the following will work. Flashable via recovery.
-PhilZ Clockworkmod 6.0.4.7 (non-touch)(will backup and restore in both cwm and twrp format)
-Milaq's ClockworkMod 6.0.5.4
-Flintman's TWRP
3. Now you're ready to flash the rom. Downloads here: http://www.invisiblek.org/roms/cm-11.0/tenderloin/
4. Gapps here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

I'd recommend wiping data when coming to this rom or going to a different one (going between milaq's and this should be fine).
These are automatically built on my personal server at home and then uploaded. There may or may not be issues during the build times so don't always expect a fresh build every day. You can follow the automated twitter account here which will spit out a tweet once the build is finished uploading.

Sources:
-Kernel
-Device Tree
-CM Sources (the rest of what's needed)

There are a couple more changes and a couple other repos that are required to build this. Add this stuff to your .repo/local_manifests/roomservice.xml in order to build this yourself (after syncing the cm source of course)
http://pastebin.com/jKAMWM8T
You'll also need to cherry pick this commit from jcsullins: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/54380
Feel free to fork and fix!

Again -
Thanks to everyone that has contributed to making this rom.
Flemmard, flintman, jcsullins, dalingrin, green, milaq, the entire CM team and I'm sure many others.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-31-17-17-51.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-31-17-17-51.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 8,662
  • Screenshot_2013-12-31-17-20-20.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-31-17-20-20.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 10,617
Last edited:

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
Looking forward to when Bluetooth is working. That and the black boxes were the only thing keeping me off KitKat.

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

k4ever

Apr 28, 2008
invisiblek, I used your 20131226 ROM. It kept crashing and rebooting every time I played a video. Netflix would crash immediately on loading and reboot the tablet. Has this been fixed with your 20131231 build?

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

I almost forgot… I also had major issues with apps not installing or disappearing after a reboot.

vinukondamahesh

Feb 5, 2009
i am trying to move uImage.ClockworkMod after rename the file its asking file already exit ,should we need to replace ?
i tried to keep both but it never successful...
is there any way to intall from zip file like upgrading recovery

allstar319

Dec 7, 2011
invisiblek, I used your 20131226 ROM. It kept crashing and rebooting every time I played a video. Netflix would crash immediately on loading and reboot the tablet. Has this been fixed with your 20131231 build?

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

I almost forgot… I also had major issues with apps not installing or disappearing after a reboot.

I believe Flint said video playback was still a bit broke around that date. I remember loading that build and Diceplayer would crash upon playing a video, but it would only crash back to the home screen (not entirely crash and reboot). I think Flint said he fixed it earlier, so try 20140101 when it comes out.

i am trying to move uImage.ClockworkMod after rename the file its asking file already exit ,should we need to replace ?
i tried to keep both but it never successful...
is there any way to intall from zip file like upgrading recovery
Replace it so you can use the new CWM to flash this build. I believe /boot is limited to 30mb so trying to keep both may not work.

Last edited:

k4ever

Apr 28, 2008
allstar319, what about the disappearing apps? Has that been fixed?

allstar319

Dec 7, 2011
allstar319, what about the disappearing apps? Has that been fixed?

No clue. I heard of apps disappearing from the Google Home Launcher, but not getting completely removed or preventing apps from being installed. Is that the launcher you're using? Only remedy I heard from that (Milaq's CM11 thread, somewhere around page 40) was to just readd them from the app drawer.

Best advice is to wait for todays build to get uploaded and see what happens.

Last edited:

jerryatherton

Sep 22, 2012
2. You'll need a recovery that has both /data/media support and selinux support. This clockworkmod will do the trick: http://invisiblek.org/tenderloin/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-tenderloin-selinux.img (thanks @milaq)
Push it to /boot/uImage.ClockworkMod

Great ROM far, I loaded the recovery but i named it TWRP instead because it says TWRP in the file name. It ran as TWRP . Is the above just a typo or can I call it either one?

Sent from my Touchpad using XDA Premium HD

vinukondamahesh

Feb 5, 2009
I believe Flint said video playback was still a bit broke around that date. I remember loading that build and Diceplayer would crash upon playing a video, but it would only crash back to the home screen (not entirely crash and reboot). I think Flint said he fixed it earlier, so try 20140101 when it comes out.

Replace it so you can use the new CWM to flash this build. I believe /boot is limited to 30mb so trying to keep both may not work.

thank you its working nw

graffix31

Oct 9, 2011
Boston
milaq actually has a flashable zip in his thread. that is the easiest. i was on 4.3 went into that recovery, made a backup then flashed the new cwm, rebooted recovery did a full wipe and flashed the rom and gapps and i am up and running. who would have ever thought we would have kitkat on a touchpad. not to mention a 3.x kernel. unreal, thanks for everyones work. Happy New Year

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
2. You'll need a recovery that has both /data/media support and selinux support. This clockworkmod will do the trick: http://invisiblek.org/tenderloin/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-tenderloin-selinux.img (thanks @milaq)
Push it to /boot/uImage.ClockworkMod

Great ROM far, I loaded the recovery but i named it TWRP instead because it says TWRP in the file name. It ran as TWRP . Is the above just a typo or can I call it either one?

Sent from my Touchpad using XDA Premium HD

Oops, I had the wrong image there. Link updated with the cwm =P

EDIT: Also added a flashable zip for it, had trouble downloading milaq's so I made my own =/

Last edited:

McBeanTIO

Aug 11, 2012
Beaumont
Anyone else getting a Core Process failure message when booting to the 01012014 Build?

I went back to the 12312013 build and all appears to be back to normal.

To be clear, I went straight to this build from a fresh CM9 image without booting into Android - ever. Got a second-hand device back from a relative, and pushed it to CM11, so it may have been a result of my own process.

I'll reflash 01012014 and see if the error persists.

--McBean

k4ever

Apr 28, 2008
Really looking forwards to a stable version of this to try. Thanks for the effort.

So am I. Right now I'm using invisiblek's CM 10.2 ROM. It's stable (although a little slow). I don't want to jump to CM 11 again until it is a lot more stable.

BTW, can someone point me to a thread that discusses that benefits of the 3.4 kernel on the Touchpad?

allstar319

Dec 7, 2011
So am I. Right now I'm using invisiblek's CM 10.2 ROM. It's stable (although a little slow). I don't want to jump to CM 11 again until it is a lot more stable.

BTW, can someone point me to a thread that discusses that benefits of the 3.4 kernel on the Touchpad?

IIRC, a long time ago, someone mentioned that there were some benefits of Jelly Bean that we couldn't use because of the version of our kernel we were using. I would assume the same still applies today if that was the case. Also, with CM11, black boxes are present in many apps that prove them to be unusable. The default browser is unusable on CM11 with the old kernel, so you'd have to either use Chrome, or wait for a new kernel. I'm sure there are some performance enhancements as well.

On todays build, video playback still seems to crash to the home screen with Diceplayer (I could of swore Flint said he fixed that in his build at least). I haven't tested Milaq's test build of the 3.0 kernel to see if that's the same case over there.

Last edited:

k4ever

Apr 28, 2008
IIRC, a long time ago, someone mentioned that there were some benefits of Jelly Bean that we couldn't use because of the version of our kernel we were using. I would assume the same still applies today if that was the case. Also, with CM11, black boxes are present in many apps that prove them to be unusable. The default browser is unusable on CM11 with the old kernel, so you'd have to either use Chrome, or wait for a new kernel. I'm sure there are some performance enhancements as well.

On todays build, video playback still seems to crash to the home screen with Diceplayer (I could of swore Flint said he fixed that in his build at least). I haven't tested Milaq's test build of the 3.0 kernel to see if that's the same case over there.

Thanks for the quick reply. Bummer!

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

One more question for invisiblek, will you be making any updates/improvements to CM10.2 or has all development shifted to CM11? The last 10.2 ROM was on 20131209. I'm having issues with the camera not working..

Colchiro

Dec 17, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel Fold

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

One more question for invisiblek, will you be making any updates/improvements to CM10.2 or has all development shifted to CM11? The last 10.2 ROM was on 20131209. I'm having issues with the camera not working..

Also, the old kernel was preventing us from having "official" CM builds.

allstar319

Dec 7, 2011
Getting SoD's once I turn the screen off. Tried the old way to fix that by raising the min clock, but that didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

McBeanTIO

Aug 11, 2012
Beaumont

The 3.4 kernel, minimally, resolves an issues with the other CM11 builds where the core/stock apps were experiencing "black boxes" which prevented users from reading mail, using the browser to navigate and some other issues. Right off the bat, the new kernel resolves that issue.

--McBean

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's been requested that I create a new thread for this so as not to clog up @milaq's thread.

As some of you may have seen in flintman's Evervolv and milaq's CM threads, there has been a lot of work on the 3.4 kernel for tenderloin. Its a pretty awesome feat to have this running on our good ol tenderloin. =)

The gratitude for this kernel and build needs to be given to almost anyone but me. (Flemmard, flintman, jcsullins, Dorregaray and everyone that came before me on this device (dalingrin, green, and other's I'm sure that I'm missing)). I've had my tenderloin for quite awhile but never really done much with it until recently.

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you nightlies of CM-11.0 for tenderloin with a 3.4 kernel and -caf based HALs. Basically what this means is we'll be running the latest code from codeaurora on our msm8660 tenderloin.

THERE WILL BE BUGS! This thing is not perfect. It is still in active development.

CURRENT BUGZ (in no particular order):
    - Bluetooth steals battery, but DOES work (jcsullins) - also sixaxis app doesn't work =(
    - Camera is a bit derpy still, major wip, it takes pictures though (Dorregaray)
    - Other stuff? Probably, yea

1. This is a /data/media rom (relevant). What that means is you should be partitioned with a very small 'media' partition and a very large 'data' partition. The benefit of this is that your /sdcard and /data partitions share the big chunk of your usable space, just like any newer phone does these days. Use TPToolbox to achieve the new partition scheme: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2756314
    2. You'll need a recovery that has both /data/media support and selinux support. Any of the following will work. Flashable via recovery.
    -PhilZ Clockworkmod 6.0.4.7 (non-touch)(will backup and restore in both cwm and twrp format)
    -Milaq's ClockworkMod 6.0.5.4
    -Flintman's TWRP
    3. Now you're ready to flash the rom. Downloads here: http://www.invisiblek.org/roms/cm-11.0/tenderloin/
    4. Gapps here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

I'd recommend wiping data when coming to this rom or going to a different one (going between milaq's and this should be fine).
    These are automatically built on my personal server at home and then uploaded. There may or may not be issues during the build times so don't always expect a fresh build every day. You can follow the automated twitter account here which will spit out a tweet once the build is finished uploading.

Sources:
    -Kernel
    -Device Tree
    -CM Sources (the rest of what's needed)

There are a couple more changes and a couple other repos that are required to build this. Add this stuff to your .repo/local_manifests/roomservice.xml in order to build this yourself (after syncing the cm source of course)
    http://pastebin.com/jKAMWM8T
    You'll also need to cherry pick this commit from jcsullins: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/54380
    Feel free to fork and fix!

Again -
    Thanks to everyone that has contributed to making this rom.
    Flemmard, flintman, jcsullins, dalingrin, green, milaq, the entire CM team and I'm sure many others.
    Am I missing a post or something or has a download link changed... I don't see anything newer than 11/09?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Since development on cm-11.0 has slowed to a snail's pace, you're not missing out on much. I've been focusing on cm-12.0 for all my devices. I'll probably roll another cm-11.0 at some point, but expect 12's pretty soon.
    Anyone notice these builds stopped coming out back on the 19th?

Did I miss a post or something from the owner about a hiatus on the ROM or anything like that? Or is this dead now that Evervolv has been moving to 3.4 kernel as well?

I have not followed that ROM, so I have not read into that thread at all.

--McBean

Sorry about that, I had a derp in my script and hadn't noticed they weren't getting uploaded
    New one will be uploading shortly and nightlies will resume
    Definitely not dead

EDIT: here you go: http://t.co/JihdiCWwlj =)
    Hey Big "D",

So you are saying that something in the kernel code is acting like it is turning off the TouchPad, when in fact it is not? I have never heard of this happening in almost three years of using a TP. Back in CM7, when turn off was selected, the TP would just reboot and if the user was not paying attention, then their device was sitting there turned on. Is this what this Rom is doing? I caught mine doing this with CM7 and would stop the reboot at the Moboot menu and shut it down from there.

If when running this Rom the tablet appears to be turned off, that is not good.

The way of shutting down and rebooting the Touchpad is customized by Pam. The 2.6.35 kernel we're using comes from Palm and has this patches already, but the 3.4 kernel doesn't have them by default.

For 3.4 kernel this has been fixed about 2 weeks ago in invisiblek's repo:
    https://github.com/invisiblek/andro...mmit/70e6f34840c160eaece3d92b1dfc813aa2d5e2de
    https://github.com/invisiblek/andro...mmit/051c60aacb6aea23306def34a28d31090ff2d773
    The flintman's kernel repo on github doesn't have them yet.

Without this patches the kernel won't shut down the Touchpad properly and even won't reboot it (shutdown instead of reboot) but the battery still can be drained - I've observed such situation when working on 3.4 kernel.

1. This is a /data/media rom. What that means is you should be partitioned with a very small 'media' partition and a very large 'data' partition. The benefit of this is that your /sdcard and /data partitions share the big chunk of your usable space, just like any newer phone does these days.

First off, thanks for jumping in and adding your expertise to this Rom. But I have to ask a couple of questions.

I watch Milaq's threads and all the problems people have with his data/media builds. When I saw your first CM11 build that was not data/media, I said to myself, hallelujah, we'll have a CM11 that is easy to install. The TouchPad is not a phone and in not a single operating system setup like every other device available. Could you please explain why it is so important to make it a data/media build? Flintman is keeping his like it has been on the TouchPad since the beginning and it seems to be working out fine and only requires enlarging the /system partition.

No flaming please, I am not knocking Milaq's builds. He has done a great job. But with all the headaches that seem to come with a data/media build such as problems installing apps from the Play Store, apps can't find their data, having to modify several partitions with Tailor which requires the user to figure out how to install it in WebOS using Preware.(I wonder how many folks have never done that before?) And running Tailor comes with it's own issues as there is not a lot of information around about how to run it and folks panic if they get errors. One has to use a special version of CWM and don't forget Selinux support on top of all this.

And what do they do if they want to uninstall a data/media build? I don't see instructions in Milaq's OP or yours on how to do that. You got to remember, the folks that are going to try to install your build are not a rocket scientist like yourself. I've already seen that question asked at least once already.

Lastly, I'm wondering if it would be that big of a deal to build a non-data/media build along side of this one? I know you guys do this for the challenge and satisfaction of helping others out. I'm just thinking about the average user who finds your build and is totally unprepared for the issues of a data/media build. Hope you will consider a separate build, but if it's too much of a headache, I understand.

Just a thought, if someone could create an ACMEInstaller that takes care of setting all the partition sizes to the recommended sizes for a data/media build and an uninstaller that removes them that would be great.

Thanks