[TWRP&CWM/Install JB OTA from custom recovery] Jelly Bean OTA for Unlocked Devices

Search This thread

dopapifreak34

Mar 21, 2009
West Lafayette
can't get the .30 firmware to flash in recovery. can we be on the .26 firmware and flash this? or, basically, what is the easiest way to get to .30 so this can flash?
already done the nvflash thingy, but cannot get to latest firmware

Curious!

Feb 21, 2011
Does anyone have a link to kernel source for Jelly Bean OTA ?
Has it not been released yet?

My Comments: They have changed switch animation between home screens.
The animations seems faster but it is not as smooth as i expected. It is not like the advertisements. Probably a CM or Vanilla version will run smoother.

Last edited:

LMMT

Apr 23, 2009
Houston area
I also had problems flashing, so these tips might help:

First, make sure you are on a stock rom, with non of the apps disabled.
Second, remove the extra spaces in the .zip name (between the 'T' and 'US', and between the '7' and 'OTA'.

Read the error text (once install fails in TWRP). It will tell you which file is causing the problem. On my tablet, the last fail I had was because the 'applocker.apk', was renamed applocker.bak. I renamed the file, and JB installed properly.

Pretoriano80

Jun 9, 2010
Last edited:

deathgod1

Feb 1, 2011
I also had problems flashing, so these tips might help:

First, make sure you are on a stock rom, with non of the apps disabled.
Second, remove the extra spaces in the .zip name (between the 'T' and 'US', and between the '7' and 'OTA'.

Read the error text (once install fails in TWRP). It will tell you which file is causing the problem. On my tablet, the last fail I had was because the 'applocker.apk', was renamed applocker.bak. I renamed the file, and JB installed properly.

Do you mind uploading the applocker.apk file? I got the same error you got and like a dummy I uninstalled it without making a backup:crying: Thanks!

Pretoriano80

Jun 9, 2010
Do you mind uploading the applocker.apk file? I got the same error you got and like a dummy I uninstalled it without making a backup:crying: Thanks!

In the Zeus rom thread you should find a pack with all the stock apps, check that.

Can I use the US_SKU mentioned in post nr 1 and use like in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1915079&page=4 rename it to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip and install it manually?

No.

Reactions: deathgod1 and KL643

kevinb77

Oct 3, 2010
Boston
I don't know how I did it, but I borked my root access after this install. I used SuperSU instead of OTA Root keeper. They both serve the same purpose...so I thought. Oh well, just have to sit and wait for a new root method.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [TWRP&CWM/Install JB OTA from custom recovery] Jelly Bean OTA for Unlocked Devices

Hi guys,as you may know,if you unlocked your bootloader you won't be able to receive OTA's anymore so you have to wait for Asus to upload the firmware on their site.Or even better you can use your custom recovery to flash a modified OTA pack wich will update your device just fine.

Warning:
    ** I'm NOT responsible for any damage caused to your device by using these files so use them on your OWN risk.
    ** This update will also flash the Jelly Bean bootloader so if you are still on .26 bootloader and you didn't used the NvFlash tool yet,well,it's time to do it because after installing this update there's NO WAY to go back,yet.
    ** You Custom Recovery will be replaced by the Stock Recovery (You can install this CWM Recovery after installing JB)
    ** I only tested with TWRP but it should work with CWM recovery too
    ** Verify your MD5 checsum after download

Requirements

* Your device must be unlocked and rooted
    * You need to be on STOCK 9.4.5.30 ROM with no modifications to system files (build.prop,etc) (no need to do the Factory Reset)
    * Use OTA RootKeeper before installing this update if you want to keep ROOT

Installation

1) Download the file for your specific SKU
    2) Move the downloaded file on your internal or external storage
    3) Boot your device in Recovery
    4) Install the update / That's it,wait for the install proccess to finish

NOTE: If you are getting errors and you are using CWM recovery try renaming the file (i.e TF700T WW_10.4.4.16-20120927 OTA.zip - - > TF700T_ WW_10.4.4.16-20120927.zip)

Download Links

WW_SKU --- > TF700T WW_10.4.4.16-20120927 OTA.zip ----- MD5 checksum: 9d4e1e91a08254256357eb2870d2df7d

US_SKU --- > TF700T US_10.4.4.16-20120927 OTA.zip ----- MD5 checksum: 4131cab5458153856185c43e05b67ebe
    Download link fixed.Yes i'm uploading the US version right now.
    Guys i couldn't test the US_SKU version myself so please leave feedback.It should work just fine ,but you never know.
    Thanks for the reply. I'd actually seen that post, but it refers specifically to reverting to .22. Some have posted questions there as to whether it still applies, but no one has answered...looks like a dead thread.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of a particular technique working to go from a custom ROM (CM10 Alpha, in my case) to the new OTA? I may just end up waiting until the devs have a ROM out, but I'd like to try stock first if I can find out a secure way of getting there.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

The page that brought me to says:

"Download the full .30 firmware from Asus' site. Unzip it. (There will be another zip inside) Copy the new zip file (something like US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip) to your tablet. Boot into your favorite custom recovery and flash the zip. Wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot."

Is that accurate? I've seen many posts saying that the files that come from Asus aren't complete, and can't be installed over custom ROMs.

OTAs are incomplete. The full .30 blob is complete. I went from a .26 based custom rom to official .30 using this route. Just be patient, as it takes a long time to flash and a long time to reboot. I think it was like 15 minutes each :eek:. Do consider grabbing nvflash access before you go to .30 though, as it's a great safety net and you will likely be ineligible to get it after you go to .30. (Once you have it on .26 though, you can go to .30 and retain nvflash access without worry)

In the Zeus rom thread you should find a pack with all the stock apps, check that.

Can I use the US_SKU mentioned in post nr 1 and use like in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1915079&page=4 rename it to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip and install it manually?

No.