[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Search This thread

cjranucci

Nov 7, 2007
Dallas, TX
While this works great to fix GPS (part one, deleting Maps updates, restarting, and reinstalling) I have to do this about every other week. The real question is why does GPS keep breaking. I only realize it is broke when I am in the car and need it. Pretty frustrating.

Technomancer

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
Well, it looks like GPS is really wonky on my wife's S3 as well. She is running stock rooted AT&T ROM. At random times while driving with GPS on GPS would just stop working, no icon showing at all, GPS Status doesn't show any sats. The only cure is to reboot the phone. Toggling GPS on/off doesn't help. I did full wipe reinstall before and the problem persists.

It feels like software problem. The weird thing is that init.rc on the phone does reference some gps daemon that doesn't exists in /system/bin and I suspect that all the GPS data is coming from RIL and modem firmware. But I don't see anything suspicious in logcat.

brunurb

Oct 22, 2011
gps lock, but not accurate?

I followed all the steps in the OP, and flashed the gps zip as well, now it gives me "location set by GPS" in the notifications, but when I go into Maps, it says it's "accurate to 1000 meters"... I've had GPS working correctly on this phone previously...

running CM 10.1 nightlies, i know GPS was working as of a couple weeks ago, but hadn't really checked recently until today.

any ideas?

Bzow

Aug 9, 2011
Chicago, IL
Well, it looks like GPS is really wonky on my wife's S3 as well. She is running stock rooted AT&T ROM. At random times while driving with GPS on GPS would just stop working, no icon showing at all, GPS Status doesn't show any sats. The only cure is to reboot the phone. Toggling GPS on/off doesn't help. I did full wipe reinstall before and the problem persists.

It feels like software problem. The weird thing is that init.rc on the phone does reference some gps daemon that doesn't exists in /system/bin and I suspect that all the GPS data is coming from RIL and modem firmware. But I don't see anything suspicious in logcat.

This is exactly what's happening to me. I've only had my phone for a month and a half or so, and I was trying to stick to stock. I'm running stock JB, not rooted. I use GPS every day, so I've been thinking about rooting and flashing a custom ROM to try to fix this, but it seems like a lot of people are having this problem.

cjranucci

Nov 7, 2007
Dallas, TX
I followed all the steps in the OP, and flashed the gps zip as well, now it gives me "location set by GPS" in the notifications, but when I go into Maps, it says it's "accurate to 1000 meters"... I've had GPS working correctly on this phone previously...

running CM 10.1 nightlies, i know GPS was working as of a couple weeks ago, but hadn't really checked recently until today.

any ideas?

If you are running nightlies, you should expect this to happen more often than not. If you depend on your GPS, I would recommend running a stable release.

Reactions: egyptshun

radtech777

Feb 12, 2010
St. Louis
I recently lost my GPS so I followed instruction on another thread before I found this and returned to unrooted stock through Kies, which actually worked like a charm. I tried the *2767*3855# with or without a comma at the end and i get "Connection problem or invalid MMI code". I can not seem to get past that point. any suggestions?

Edit:
NVM. Wow, after a few factory resets, its back! Never did get thru the number. But thank you for your responses and help anyway :)

Last edited:

kalisjr

Jul 5, 2010
Sioux Falls
My phone did the same GPS trick. But after re-flashing the last rom that had a working gps, the gps came back to life.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'm releasing a fixed GPS from today it's almost done then will upload so you all will have a working DD.

But also still on track for v2.0 release tomorrow.

Got the GPS bug fixed now and I'm running tests. What I really want is the steps which lead to your issues with this so I am sure then your scenario is covered in this fix release.

I know there are many ways GPS can be used and I'm not satisfied my use is going to be the same as yours plus don't feel like having to do another fix release taking time away from v2.0 schedule.

So if you all could please post the steps it will help me help you get what your looking for.

I appreciate everyones patience.

I'll go up the road when it done to the pizza place which has super fast upload to make sure you all get it faster.

Thanks

Jk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Reactions: m.a.s.e

m.a.s.e

Oct 3, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I'm releasing a fixed GPS from today it's almost done then will upload so you all will have a working DD.

But also still on track for v2.0 release tomorrow.

Got the GPS bug fixed now and I'm running tests. What I really want is the steps which lead to your issues with this so I am sure then your scenario is covered in this fix release.

I know there are many ways GPS can be used and I'm not satisfied my use is going to be the same as yours plus don't feel like having to do another fix release taking time away from v2.0 schedule.

So if you all could please post the steps it will help me help you get what your looking for.

I appreciate everyones patience.

I'll go up the road when it done to the pizza place which has super fast upload to make sure you all get it faster.

Thanks

Jk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

thank you ! looking forward ! 1.5 is amazing but lack of GPS is killing me :)
thank you for your hard work fixing this.

elvin9

Apr 27, 2011
how i know if my gps doesnt work i using this such a greatest rom ever for att galaxy S3 ==> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2039513 and when i click google map show me the exact location where i live by the way i'm in puerto rico.

the question is there another way to verify if my gps not work because i presume mine works thanks...

markandmyia

Apr 20, 2009
how i know if my gps doesnt work i using this such a greatest rom ever for att galaxy S3 ==> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2039513 and when i click google map show me the exact location where i live by the way i'm in puerto rico.

the question is there another way to verify if my gps not work because i presume mine works thanks...

You can download the app "gps status" from the play store (free) and you can verify your signal with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
    (OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
    1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
    (Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
    2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
    3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
    (IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
    4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
    5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
    6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
    7. reboot the phone
    8. Update google maps (very important)
    9.reboot for safe measure
    10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
    11. boot up maps
    12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
    1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
    2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
    3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
    2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
    3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Some people asked about if mobile odin is usable when going back to stock, and yeah it is just be safe doing it and make sure it is the whole package.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.
    GPS fix Back Permanent I747

if you dont see your gps icon on status bar. there is problem on your gps chip.
    becouse that was happend to me my I747. im more confused about it.
    i try more things like rom change,, firmware upgrade,, orginal samsung updates,, etc,, no more fix

after i go to the samsung service mode *#197328640#

then go to mainmenu>UMTS>Common>NV REBUILD>NV REBUILD>finish and dont exit menu
    wait 30 sec

long press power button and select restart..

thats all

now check your GPS from gps software...

if this is fix your problem dont forget to thanks....
    Sticky? Since ALOT of people have this problem on all ROMs...
    OP updated with new info.
    Thank you very much man...I havr not gps icon I followed your steps and then my problem was no lock...well I did the second part and BOMB!! My gps work again...thanks again!!!!

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 usando Tapatalk 2

Yup yup! No problem.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app
    I wanted to update and say I have not lost my GPS since switching to a T-Mobile based 4.1.2 rom. I have been testing it frequently by tracking my 30 minute commutes to and from work. If you are having problems like what I described in my previous post, I highly recommend trying out deTmobilized or STOCKORAMA.