FORUMS

View Poll Results: Should Omni rom be released for MTK phones?

Yes

529 Vote(s)
98.14%
No

10 Vote(s)
1.86%

Omni Rom For MTK Devices

134 posts
Thanks Meter: 91

By wingoku, Senior Member on 14th October 2013, 01:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Many rom projects like Cyanogen mod, Paranoid droid rom and many others were released only for renowned company phones like Galaxy Series, Nexus series etc etc, where as millions & billions of MTK soc phones that contribute alot to the daily millions of Android activations are left out. Many MTK phones developers started request threads for cyanogen mod and other rom communities to build/release a rom for MTK phones but those request were neglected till date.

Now with the start of new rom project "Omni", MTK phone devs are hoping that this rom will also be compiled & released for MTK phones. We want Omni pioneers to release this rom for millions & billions of MTK phones.

We are willing to help you guys making Omni rom project better & grow.

Regards
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to wingoku For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wingoku Ad-Free
14th October 2013, 03:04 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,181

Donate to Me
More
Wouldn't have it been easier to read some posts in the forum?
14th October 2013, 03:13 PM |#3  
This will happen. When you're able to watch the presentation video (which will be up in the next few days) you'll notice that @XpLoDWilD shows Omni running on the Oppo R819, a quad-core MTK device.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jerdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jerdog Ad-Free
14th October 2013, 04:06 PM |#4  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,479

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog

This will happen. When you're able to watch the presentation video (which will be up in the next few days) you'll notice that @XpLoDWilD shows Omni running on the Oppo R819, a quad-core MTK device.

There are a lot of things in the way. Also, any MTK devices that ship without kernel sources (there are a lot of them) are still out of luck.

The R819 is a game changer here - Oppo really wants it to receive community firmware support and has been EXTREMELY cooperative with us in terms of getting us documentation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th October 2013, 04:17 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1,072

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

The R819 is a game changer here - Oppo really wants it to receive community firmware support and has been EXTREMELY cooperative with us in terms of getting us documentation.

So they are giving you access to the MTK framework sources? Or do you have to reimplement the dual sim support (I have never seen any open source ROM with dual sim support)? I'd really love to help a bit, having some MTK6577 phones lying around here.
14th October 2013, 05:25 PM |#6  
Flag Tirupati, A.P
Thanks Meter: 109

More
I too have two MTK phones .....they are a powerful if it got development projects like this ...it will be the no.1 vendor in chip set marketing and ...I support for OMNI PROJECT

Sent from my Fly IQ451 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th October 2013, 06:10 PM |#7  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,479

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-o-M

So they are giving you access to the MTK framework sources? Or do you have to reimplement the dual sim support (I have never seen any open source ROM with dual sim support)? I'd really love to help a bit, having some MTK6577 phones lying around here.

I'm not sure about the state of dsim support. We do have access to quite a bit, however some items even the OEM we're working with doesn't have access to source for, and it's also a nasty licensing minefield.

There's much better potential than there has been previously, however there are still some nasty technical and legal challenges. For example, MTK's 4.2 firmware appears to be using all sorts of hwcomposer backcompat hacks to use what is effectively a 4.0 (ICS) HWC.
14th October 2013, 06:24 PM |#8  
Flag Mars
Thanks Meter: 881

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I'm not sure about the state of dsim support. We do have access to quite a bit, however some items even the OEM we're working with doesn't have access to source for, and it's also a nasty licensing minefield.

There's much better potential than there has been previously, however there are still some nasty technical and legal challenges. For example, MTK's 4.2 firmware appears to be using all sorts of hwcomposer backcompat hacks to use what is effectively a 4.0 (ICS) HWC.

With this I assume device will not receive 4.4 barely 4.3 but can I ask how is to work with OEM?

Sent from my Xperia U using xda app-developers app
14th October 2013, 06:46 PM |#9  
Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,804

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperianPro

With this I assume device will not receive 4.4 barely 4.3 but can I ask how is to work with OEM?

Sent from my Xperia U using xda app-developers app

Nobody can predict what happens in the future.

In terms of working with OEMs, not sure what your question is, but one thing we do bring to the table with Omni is considerable experience in working with OEMs. And that should be rather beneficial for everyone
14th October 2013, 09:00 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,072

Donate to Me
More
Will you be allowed to release all sources needed to build the ROM?
14th October 2013, 09:45 PM |#11  
Flag Heredia
Thanks Meter: 244

Donate to Me
More
There are sources for various MTK devices (MT6577/MT6575) that can be used already. I assume it would be no problem for the omni team to integrate them into their builds.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)