FORUMS

[Q] Setup issue. Black home screen

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By santi.marro, Junior Member on 21st February 2014, 07:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd September 2014, 03:46 AM |#41  
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YassinTP

Please don't blame me for bringing up an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem with my Chromecast (on the latest software build) when connected to my 1080p-HDCP-capable HDMI to VGA converter (which is connected to my VGA-only projector). My Chromecast itself is fine as it works perfectly when connected to a newer LG 1080p TV.

Is there anything new on this topic?

HDCP?
2nd September 2014, 05:29 PM |#42  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

What resolution is your HDMI to VGA converter sending to the projector - and what resolutions do your projector support?

The converter is just sending the input resolution to the projector, which will be 720p or 1080p with the Chromecast, I guess, as soon as it has booted. I am able to see everything until the Chrome logo - this is sent in 480p according to this thread, isn't it? - then the screen turns black.
The projector supports up 1024x768, Epson doesn't tell anything about scaling capabilities. It is, however, able to work just fine with 1080p input - when I connected my Thinkpad and chose 1920x1080 for the projector, it displayed just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfluck

HDCP?

Yes, the converter is HDCP capable - I was able to play back a rented movie from iTunes using a Thinkpad X301, Displayport-HDMI cable and the converter connected to my projector.
2nd September 2014, 05:42 PM |#43  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YassinTP

The converter is just sending the input resolution to the projector, which will be 720p or 1080p with the Chromecast, I guess, as soon as it has booted. I am able to see everything until the Chrome logo - this is sent in 480p according to this thread, isn't it? - then the screen turns black.
The projector supports up 1024x768, Epson doesn't tell anything about scaling capabilities. It is, however, able to work just fine with 1080p input - when I connected my Thinkpad and chose 1920x1080 for the projector, it displayed just fine.

Yes, the converter is HDCP capable - I was able to play back a rented movie from iTunes using a Thinkpad X301, Displayport-HDMI cable and the converter connected to my projector.

Yes, the Chromecast boot seems to be 480p, which lets it show up on the majority of devices unless the input hasn't been recognized/locked when the screen shows up.

What happens with your projector is two-stage:
  1. Chromecast will "negotiate" a supported resolution with your display device (converter)
  2. Projector will - or won't - accept the converter's output

Likely the problem is in #1 - Chromecast may be negotiating a resolution with the converter than the projector doesn't like. It might be YCbCr instead of RGB, or something else.

Since you said Chromecast works with your LG 1080p TV, you can try this:
  1. Get either a USB battery pack or a power cable long enough to reach from Chromecast connected to both your LG 1080p TV and your projector.
  2. Connect Chromecast to your LG TV and power it up.
  3. Keeping the power connected, unplug Chromecast from your LG TV and plug it into the converter on your projector.
    [*}See if you get output on your projector

I haven't checked recently, but back in the 15xxx firmware at least, Chromecast kept its resolution as long as it was powered. If that's still true and you get output, #1 is the issue - the converter and Chromecast are negotiating a format/resolution that your projector doesn't like.

Unfortunately not a good solution for this unless you can change the EDID on your converter so it only reports specific formats/resolutions (HDfury can do this).
3rd September 2014, 09:52 PM |#44  
rbeavers's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Columbus Ohio
Thanks Meter: 251
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skazki

I has the same problem yesterday and cant fix it!

"After this update my chromecast doesnt boot Only Google Logo then black screen on my TV Samsung... Thx Google...
I tried to disconnect USB and plug in it to POWER adapter - it doesnt help me, then I tried to hard reset from physical button on Chromecast - it doestnt helps to me too! Any ideas? After HR chromecast now displays on my TV like "Player". Chromecast app cant connect to Chromecast..."

Any ideas? I think my Chromecast died

I had the same thing? Got just the boot screen and then black. Tried all my HDMI connections dvd and cable box were black. I unplugged TV for 15 minutes and when I plugged it back in, then got Chromecast can't connect. Unplugged CC and plugged back on and it connected working now.??
3rd September 2014, 10:19 PM |#45  
Skazki's Avatar
Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeavers

I had the same thing? Got just the boot screen and then black. Tried all my HDMI connections dvd and cable box were black. I unplugged TV for 15 minutes and when I plugged it back in, then got Chromecast can't connect. Unplugged CC and plugged back on and it connected working now.??

Did you solve that problem? Mine Chromecast works fine now.
3rd September 2014, 10:29 PM |#46  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Yes, the Chromecast boot seems to be 480p, which lets it show up on the majority of devices unless the input hasn't been recognized/locked when the screen shows up.

What happens with your projector is two-stage:

  1. Chromecast will "negotiate" a supported resolution with your display device (converter)
  2. Projector will - or won't - accept the converter's output

Likely the problem is in #1 - Chromecast may be negotiating a resolution with the converter than the projector doesn't like. It might be YCbCr instead of RGB, or something else.

Since you said Chromecast works with your LG 1080p TV, you can try this:
  1. Get either a USB battery pack or a power cable long enough to reach from Chromecast connected to both your LG 1080p TV and your projector.
  2. Connect Chromecast to your LG TV and power it up.
  3. Keeping the power connected, unplug Chromecast from your LG TV and plug it into the converter on your projector.
    [*}See if you get output on your projector

I haven't checked recently, but back in the 15xxx firmware at least, Chromecast kept its resolution as long as it was powered. If that's still true and you get output, #1 is the issue - the converter and Chromecast are negotiating a format/resolution that your projector doesn't like.

Unfortunately not a good solution for this unless you can change the EDID on your converter so it only reports specific formats/resolutions (HDfury can do this).

Okay, seems to be a converter-specific issue. I remembered that my HP ZR24w (1920x1200) has VGA input and a nice OSD, so I set the converter up, connected the Chromecast and watched what happened:
- "Chromecast..." was displayed
- The "Chrome" Logo showed, but not in 480p - it was really sharp, so it has to be 720p or 1080p output, OSD tells "1920x1080 @60 Hz"
- The screen turned black (not off), just like with the projector. OSD still shows 1080p.

Could it help to try another HDMI VGA converter? I found another HDCP-capable one from another manufacturer, maybe that's worth a try...
4th September 2014, 02:04 AM |#47  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YassinTP

Could it help to try another HDMI VGA converter? I found another HDCP-capable one from another manufacturer, maybe that's worth a try...

If you want best guarantee of working you need a converter that has scaling functionality, so it can output different resolution from what it's sent.
12th September 2014, 02:48 PM |#48  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

If you want best guarantee of working you need a converter that has scaling functionality, so it can output different resolution from what it's sent.

So HDFury would be worth a try, right?

I just found out my projector has an info OSD built in. I just performed a Chromecast update which displayed just fine, but the screen went black afterwards again. Of course, I didn't think of checking during the update, but now, OSD shows "1440x900" at 59,90 Hz. Will this resolution make Chromecast turn off the display output?
12th September 2014, 04:11 PM |#49  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,027
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YassinTP

So HDFury would be worth a try, right?

I just found out my projector has an info OSD built in. I just performed a Chromecast update which displayed just fine, but the screen went black afterwards again. Of course, I didn't think of checking during the update, but now, OSD shows "1440x900" at 59,90 Hz. Will this resolution make Chromecast turn off the display output?

1440x900 is 16:10 aspect. Is it showing a black screen, or no signal? If it's no signal that might be the native resolution of the panel, or Chromecast may have picked a strange resolution (likely).

While I have had great success with the HDfury products, I don't believe any of them actually scale. I know the original HDfury through the HDfury2 do not.

Looks like the HDfury3 does not either, but the EDID banks may be helpful in your situation. What might be happening is the projector says it supports a resolution, say 1920x1080p, but when Chromecast feeds it, the project doesn't like it. Changing the EDID data so Chromecast doesn't see certain resolutions as supported may help get the two in agreement.

Ahh, looks like 3Dfury / HDfury4 has beta scaling/scan-conversion features... Nice, but the price tag is not so much, but it really depends on the cost of a newer/equivalent projector versus the cost of making Chromecast work on your existing hardware.

Personally, unless you have other applications for the converter, you're probably better off applying the $400 price tag toward an update to a 1080p projector.
14th September 2014, 02:23 AM |#50  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

1440x900 is 16:10 aspect. Is it showing a black screen, or no signal? If it's no signal that might be the native resolution of the panel, or Chromecast may have picked a strange resolution (likely).

While I have had great success with the HDfury products, I don't believe any of them actually scale. I know the original HDfury through the HDfury2 do not.

Looks like the HDfury3 does not either, but the EDID banks may be helpful in your situation. What might be happening is the projector says it supports a resolution, say 1920x1080p, but when Chromecast feeds it, the project doesn't like it. Changing the EDID data so Chromecast doesn't see certain resolutions as supported may help get the two in agreement.

Ahh, looks like 3Dfury / HDfury4 has beta scaling/scan-conversion features... Nice, but the price tag is not so much, but it really depends on the cost of a newer/equivalent projector versus the cost of making Chromecast work on your existing hardware.

Personally, unless you have other applications for the converter, you're probably better off applying the $400 price tag toward an update to a 1080p projector.

All the screens I tested are showing a black screen, not "no signal". However, my HP ZR24w displays 1920x1080 resolution while the projector recognizes 1440x900.

I did some tests with the LG Full HD TV today and I'm now thinking that it's rather a converter-specific issue than a problem with the resolution.
As described earlier in this thread, I tried to connect the running Chromecast to the converter while running on mobile power - so I plugged my Chromecast into the TV, connected the power to my notebook and the Chromecast booted just fine. The TV also has VGA input, so I connected the HDMI-VGA-converter to it and tried moving the running Chromecast from the TV's HDMI input to the converter's input - and as you can already guess, the TV showed a black screen.
Because I know that the TV as well as the converter support 1080p just fine (as well as all other forms of Full HD and normal HD input), I think it isn't a resolution-based issue but has to do with an incompatibility of the Chromecast with my specific HDMI-VGA-converter.

What do you think on that? I'm not too keen on spending several hundred bucks on a new projector because I don't use it that much, so I tend to trying out at least one other converter - not necessarily an HDfury, just another one in the same category...
14th September 2014, 03:29 AM |#51  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 56
 
Donate to Me
More
I'm pretty sure the black screen with Chromecast and your VGA converter is due to HDCP. It sounds backwards, but HDCP compliant actually will mean that it will not work for HDCP inputs like a Chromecast.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes