[MOD] Epic4G EXT4 Support [Froyo Only] [No More RFS!][Updated/Fixed v1.3]

Search This thread

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
LOL...He's catching some zzzzzz's.. Man, I cant get past the part where he says," Now it should say your in recovery 2.5.1.2, now you need to run the run2.bat file???? I did this but it keeps saying cannot stat "everything"... lol...

Oh well, I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow, and get yelled at by the wife for being on the pc again, lol... I was trying to get this done while she was sleeping, but, I guess we all gotta get some sleep...

I'm trying this out as well, and I can't get the phone to be picked up by ADB when in CWM. I never have been able to, it would be handy and I think that is the only way to get this to work. I haven't successfully seen the "2.5.2.1" yet, which isn't a good sign lol.

sniperkill

Sep 27, 2010
Maryland
I'm trying this out as well, and I can't get the phone to be picked up by ADB when in CWM. I never have been able to, it would be handy and I think that is the only way to get this to work. I haven't successfully seen the "2.5.2.1" yet, which isn't a good sign lol.

For some reason, I dont think your supposed to run the .bat file while your in cwm. I think your supposed to reboot your phone, make sure you have usb debugging enabled, and run it from there, but I've found that you have to have adb.exe files installed where ever you have the whole ext4 downloaded at. I downloaded it to my desktop, and the run2.bat file wouldnt run until I put adb.exe files on my desktop.. But even after that, it still failed when I ran the run2.bat file. Dameon started, and it seen my phone, but it kept saying cannot stat, like, everything it tried to do.... So, imma wait it out til Dameon87 can shed some light on this for us...

Last edited:

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
For some reason, I dont think your supposed to run the .bat file while your in cwm. I think your supposed to reboot your phone, make sure you have usb debugging enabled, and run it from there, but I've found that you have to have adb.exe files installed where ever you have the whole ext4 downloaded at. I downloaded it to my desktop, and the run2.bat file wouldnt run until I put adb.exe files on my desktop..

I know all this, I just couldn't even get the phone to connect to my comp when in CWM. I got it working now, but when I reboot into recovery after flashing prepare.zip either by using adb reboot recovery or by selecting advanced/reboot recovery, it hangs on the Samsung logo screen. Not sure why, I've tried to reflash recovery again with the 2.5.5 one click and still it's a no go. Any tips?

sniperkill

Sep 27, 2010
Maryland
In order for you to see recovery 2.5.1.2 at the top, you put the 2 .zip files on your sdcard, boot into recovery using adb, then grab your phone and navigate to the prepare.zip file and flash it with cwm. Even tho IT WILL fail, after it tries flashing it, once you reboot into cwm, it will say 2.5.1.2 at the top....

sniperkill

Sep 27, 2010
Maryland
I know all this, I just couldn't even get the phone to connect to my comp when in CWM. I got it working now, but when I reboot into recovery after flashing prepare.zip either by using adb reboot recovery or by selecting advanced/reboot recovery, it hangs on the Samsung logo screen. Not sure why, I've tried to reflash recovery again with the 2.5.5 one click and still it's a no go. Any tips?

OOOHHHH, my bad. I misunderstood you... Can you get into download mode? If so, try flashing DK28

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
over at sdx for converting to ext2/3 on the moment we use to script the update to backup ur entire rom, system and data, and have it reflash after the conversion, why can this not be done for converting to ext4? or are we able to flash a backup from clockworkmod after the conversion

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
In order for you to see recovery 2.5.1.2 at the top, you put the 2 .zip files on your sdcard, boot into recovery using adb, then grab your phone and navigate to the prepare.zip file and flash it with cwm. Even tho IT WILL fail, after it tries flashing it, once you reboot into cwm, it will say 2.5.1.2 at the top....

Lol it didn't fail, it flashed fine. Just still won't let me reboot into recovery, I can boot into recovery from pressing the 4 hardware buttons (and it still says 2.5.1.0) but it will just stay at the samsung logo screen if I use adb.

sniperkill

Sep 27, 2010
Maryland
Lol it didn't fail, it flashed fine. Just still won't let me reboot into recovery, I can boot into recovery from pressing the 4 hardware buttons (and it still says 2.5.1.0) but it will just stay at the samsung logo screen if I use adb.

lol, glad to hear you got it working.. As for the other guy's question, I dont think anyone besides the OP got it to work yet... imma have to try again tomorrow, the wife's getting pissed that im still up, lol.... Good luck

Last edited:

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
lol, glad to hear you got it working.. As for the other guy's question, I dont think anyone besides the OP got it to work yet... imma have to try again tomorrow, the wife's getting pissed that im still up, lol.... Good luck

Lol I think you misread my post, I'm still not able to reboot into recovery after flashing the prepare.zip. It hangs on the Samsung screen if I use any other method to reboot into recovery other than pressing the 4 buttons, directly after flashing the .zip. Baffling.

Ranger093

Feb 29, 2008
Blaine, MN
I can add that at first I had adb in cwm and ran the .bat
File in cwm successfully, as |OP| stated but after it failed and I returned back to original cwm version, I lost adb
And was forced to odin straight to dk28

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Same Issue, had to odin back as I was not able to install the 2.5 rom after the mod. Error 3

sniperkill

Sep 27, 2010
Maryland
Lol I think you misread my post, I'm still not able to reboot into recovery after flashing the prepare.zip. It hangs on the Samsung screen if I use any other method to reboot into recovery other than pressing the 4 buttons, directly after flashing the .zip. Baffling.

So, after you flash the prepare.zip file, and your in cwm, and you go under "advanced", then select "reboot into recovery", it still wont work??

Last edited:
P

prophour

Run step2.bat in cmd starts the one click installer. I think that's what he meant.

Sent from my midNIGHT Mysteriously SERO™ 4G

P

prophour

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS METHOD IS NOW DEPRECATED! PLEASE USE THE NEW METHOD HERE:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=897612

==================================================================

Alright so I finally have completed this into the range of acceptable.

These instructions MUST BE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER.
    For a video tutorial of the One click you may watch this: http://youtu.be/0MFQJpgVqeU?hd=1 [Thanks Alot leatherneck6017!]

For a Video tutorial of the flashable zip, you can watch this: http://youtu.be/77-PYDtETxQ?hd=1 [Thanks again leatherneck!]

Firstly you need to download the following: [UPDATED!]
    http://efragtv.com/android/OneClickEXT4.v1.3.zip
    IF YOU WANT TO USE THE FLASHABLE .ZIP METHOD DOWNLOAD THIS AND PUT IT ON YOUR SDCARD: http://efragtv.com/android/EXT4-Formatter.zip
    This file contains all you need to use adb, format your partitions to ext4, and be on the way to using EXT4.

Start by downloading from the link above and extracting somewhere on your computer.

NOTE: This does not currently work when coming from Cyanogen! Flash to normal DK28, or wait for the CM version later tonight!

Next you need to download and install the One Click Root/Clockwork mod redirector, or if you are running quantum rom 2.1, you are good to go.

From inside android, enable USB Debugging (Settings->Application->Development)

Copy the two zip files from the OneClickEXT4 directory in the first step, and place them on your SDCard (You can use adb push, usb mass storage, or an sdcard reader)

Now you need to open up a command prompt in windows. To do this, Hit either Start->Run, or Hold the Windows Key and hit R, and type in cmd and hit enter.
    Next you need to type : cd /path/you/extracted/OneClickEXT4
    Now type the following into that window and hit enter:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    The phone will now reboot into clockwork mod.
    Now flash the prepare.zip file included in the OneClick.
    After the file is done flashing, use adb reboot recovery again
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    [NOTE : If it says device not found, unplug the phone, and replug the cable and try again]

Now if everything went well, you are now in the modified ClockWork Mod recovery, and you should see the version number 2.5.1.2 at the top.

From here you have two choices. You can use the old One Click .bat file method, or you can use the new, and much easier, flashable .zip method.

For the OLD ONE CLICK METHOD:

You need to run the install-ext4.bat file. To run it, simply double click on it. Make sure your phone is connected and seen by adb.
    [NOTE : If it says device not found, unplug the phone, and replug the cable and try again]

For the NEW FLASHABLE .ZIP METHOD:
    At this point, make sure it says 2.5.1.2 at the top of your screen. If it does, simply flash the EXT4-Formatter.zip file you downloaded earlier. THIS WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. It takes a while to format the partitions.
    After it is finished, DO NOT REBOOT.
    Flash your ROM of choice, and then flash the kernel included in the OneClick.

This will format /cache /data and /system to ext4

YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON THE PHONE

After this is complete, you may flash a DK28 ROM . I recommend Quantum Rom v2.5.0.

Please note that until other ROMs add support (namely the new recovery binary in /system/bin/recoveryfiles) I cannot guarantee recovery will function properly.

HUGE NOTE: AFTER FLASHING THE ROM, YOU MUST FLASH THE KERN-DK28EXT4.zip FILE !!!

After this is complete, you may now reboot.
    You now have EXT4, and no more RFS

[NOTE: NOT CURRENTLY COMPATIBLE WITH CYANOGEN MOD, I WILL BE PORTING IT OVER THIS WEEK]
    Hi guys got the problem

its a small mistake in the step2.bat file 10th line

adb push ext2.ko /tmp

should be

adb push ext4.ko /tmp

Quantum ROM v2.5.0 right now works perfect.
    Ok first off I have this working........ after hours of bashing my head, just to find out that if you look at your screen on your phone, super user app ask for permision to get su. After I figured that out if you read through all the pages on this thread and follow the directions it does work.

Second.... after applying this and playing around for a bit it does seem to be a little snapier, I aam running a live wallpaper and there is no lag when switching screens and bettery life seems to be good even with live wallpaper running and playing on the internet.

Third.... I am going to put together a video tutorial in a couple hours to help people out seeing how there is so many people having issues.
    Video tutorial

For those of you who are "visual" learners, I have recorded a video tutorial on how to install this. Hope it helps.

http://youtu.be/0MFQJpgVqeU?hd=1
    That would be a painfully long file path, for me anyway. It will also vary by a) what version of Windows you are running, and b) what the username of your active login is.

For example, for me, using Windows 7 it would be "C:\Users\Home Fast\Desktop".

Easy solution is to extract the .zip to your root drive like C:\ext4 or something similar. Then from a command prompt all you would have to do is type cd c:\ext4 and voila, you'd be in the correct directory to run the adb commands.

Hold down the shift key....right click the folder...

you will see an option in the window for "open command prompt HERE"

No directory changing needed.