[Q] Focus Screen Protector Recommendations

Search This thread

RSG1

Nov 9, 2010
Would like to go with the Lexerd but only the Anti-glare version is available on Amazon... any idea when the Crystal Clear version is available?

There is the one made by Amzer; yet reviews are not great. Any other options?

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
ATT is selling full body (front and back only) screen protectors from InvisibleShield.

But Zagg doesn't list them as available on their web site yet. I'm not as interested in a screen protector as I am having Zagg cover the back of my phone. Their product is great. I like the gripping feel of it. The screen of the focus is Gorilla Glass so that why I'm not going to cover it.

Mallux

Nov 12, 2010
I installed the InvisibleShield on my Focus. I really like the matte finish on the back. I took it to the booth in the mall and had the invisibleshield guy install it for me for free (usually like $7, i think.) Just FYI, it may be a dry protector, but you can still install it as if it were wet.

jcr916

Jan 12, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA
No one would be happier than I if that is true.

However, I am suspicious that the tweet is the only reference to it.

http://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/devices.aspx
This came straight from the Corning webpage:

"Corning’s Gorilla glass has been designed into more than 240 models by 24 major brands. Due to customer agreements the following list is only a sampling."

They could just be slow at updating their site... at least lets hope so lol.

Last edited:

FuzzyLogic_FC

Nov 8, 2008
This came straight from the Corning webpage:

"Corning’s Gorilla glass has been designed into more than 240 models by 24 major brands. Due to customer agreements the following list is only a sampling."

They could just be slow at updating their site... at least lets hope so lol.

That would be a great surprise. I've hated screen protectors since the first Palm.

Check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x91cmj_dP_4

Smoothound

Sep 24, 2008
Do you have a reference link to the Focus being built with Gorilla Glass?

How's this? :D

ss20101112143613.png

Apparently AMOLD spec requires the glass to be scratchproof :cool:

Nebor

May 23, 2009

smuook

Oct 27, 2007
Jax, Florida
Zagg is now supporting the Focus...

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...es-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

I've used Zagg on my last 2 phones and highly recommend it. It is really great stuff. You can argue that you don't need this with the Focus screen, but if you still want one, I would go with Zagg. The most important thing is to follow the installation instructions exactly.

My recommendation is NOT buy the Full Body coverage... just get the Screen Coverage. Get a nice case instead. Zagg can (not always) start peeling very slightly on the edges from repeated rubbing with your hand. I've seen this happen on 2 of my friends phones who had full body coverage. The good thing is, Zagg will send you out a new one free, no questions asked (you do have to pay shipping though). They are pretty good about it. Also, if you don't like it, it is removable.

Tempest790

Jun 30, 2007
New Orleans
I went ahead and ordered the Zagg. 14.99 isn't bad even with the 2.99 shipping. I don't feel comfortable until I get something to protect this screen.

Nebor

May 23, 2009
I got the Skinomi. I followed the instructions and still ended up with a lot of bubbles\wrinkles. Also I'm not sure that the "full body" skin is even needed. I certainly can't see how the side pieces are supposed to fit around the buttons and headphone jack anyway.

I give this product a huge thumbs down. A waste of $20.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got my delivery of the Zagg Invisible Shield. I see now that it uses a solution/adhesive to apply-a wet apply? I've never used anything wet on a screen protector before. If it comes off, does it leave adhesive all over the screen?
    No, it comes off cleanly. I've installed a few ZAGG and Xtreme-Guard covers now, and I'm a big fan. I've had the ZAGG start to peel after a year or so, but that's to be expected, and I expect the same with Xtreme-Guard after a year or so. I used to own a Sign Shop, and we used the same type of materials in our Sign Work. It's not a completely permanant material, but it will last a LONG time if applied properly. They are currently installed on my HTC P3600, my wife's iPhone 4, and my Samsung Focus.

For the record, the material is NOT where the expense is. That much material would cost around .50- $2.50 depending on where they buy it and the quality. The cost is in the labor of setting up the first design, then setting the plotter to cut and also advertising/packaging. Of course, they do need to make a profit too.

I now buy only the Xtreme-Guards due to price. I've compared the two and find they protect almost identically. I just ordered an Xtreme-Guard FULL BODY cover for my focus yesterday and it was a total of $4.75 including shipping. The last one shipped to my house in California in 3 days. You can find them on E-Bay. I wish I still had a plotter, but they are not cheap. :rolleyes: I'd be cutting all XDA members covers for cost. My last plotter was $7k, but went with the company when I sold it. :(
    VShield skins

I have tried several different screen protectors for my Focus and have been disappointed by most of them. The Zagg and Skinomi skins were too soft and were easily damaged and dented while being stored in my leather soft lined case. The dents refracted light and were very distracting. The Skinomi skin continued to have small bubbles weeks after installation that I could never get rid of. Both of these skins felt somewhat tacky and I could feel some drag when sliding up and down the screen. They both had a bit of orange peel finish to them that I did not like. The soft material seemed to easily scratch and haze after normal cleaning with a soft cloth.

I decided to try some extremely inexpensive skins from VShield. I got 5 skins for $2.08 plus $1.49 shipping. They are dry skins with a protective cover on both sides. You peel off the back side, place it on the screen and then remove the cover from the other side. It was fairly easy to install. It would be nice to have a clean room for eliminating dust during installation. I had a few dust particles that landed on the screen. I was able to lift the skin and remove the dust with a piece of tape. It fits perfectly. I have no bubbles. It is a harder plastic and does not dent. It is very clear and is barely noticable. I put one on my wife's Focus and she didn't even know it was there. I highly recommend these skins. I got them from Amazon for a total of only $3.57 for 5 skins. The other skins were 4 to 5 times that much for only one skin. Apparently, "You get what you pay for" doesn't always apply.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GRBUSE
    I have been running for over 6 months now with no screen protector. The display is scratch free. I don't see the need for it.

The screen is Gorilla Glass and even if it's very tough, it can still scratch. Durity of metal (Mohs hardness scale) is at maximum 6.5 (usually, common metals 4-5) while glass/quartz is about 7. That's why Gorilla Glass resists scratching to coins, knives, screwdrivers, cutters, keys etc. However, porcelain, glass, sand, have the same durity as Gorilla Glass. And these will scratch the screen.

Not funny that a sharp knife, scissorts etc can't scratch the screen but a tiny sand particle can, but it's a fact. Keep in mind that you might end up accidentally with dust/sand on the screen and then wonder how did that scratch happen...

And that's exactly why it's important to have a screen protector. Your call, however.