VZW Mobile root privs?

Search This thread

PWM978

Jun 8, 2013
Southern N.H.
Does vzw mobile typically ask for root privs?

Watch your supersu dialogs!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-09-00-09-24.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-09-00-09-24.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 593

shojus

Jan 9, 2008
GRap
+1 I am NOT keeping that crap on my phone! There is NO reason, in my opinion, that they need any kind of root permission... I am 100% sure that I DON'T trust Verizon! :eek::eek: I have owned over 10 phones with Verizon in the last year so this is kind of disturbing seeing as this is the first case it ever popped up on me for root privileges.

Last edited:

PWM978

Jun 8, 2013
Southern N.H.
Ok, so as far as I can tell that this will write out to a prefs file...

Checks here...
./smali/com/vzw/hss/myverizon/rdd/a/d.smali:
const-string v0, "Rooted"

invoke-static {}, Lcom/vzw/hss/myverizon/rdd/a/d;->b()Ljava/lang/String;

move-result-object v2

Writes out to one of their .xml files....

Your guess is as good as mine what they will do with the information... my guess would be to provide the VZW store folks another avenue to see if the device has been tampered with. Perhaps it could be transmitted also. Not worth my time digging further - removed.

Sevinex

Jul 27, 2013
San Diego
i granted su and it didnt do anything all night now it is denied. im probably being tracked as we speak for my unlimited lol

You may end up dead tomorrow... With Verizon you never know.

I ended up freezing all of my Verizon bloatware when root was released, so I have never gotten this. Do you think this could be a new method for Verizon to keep tabs on who has root (warranties and what not)?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
You may end up dead tomorrow... With Verizon you never know.

I ended up freezing all of my Verizon bloatware when root was released, so I have never gotten this. Do you think this could be a new method for Verizon to keep tabs on who has root (warranties and what not)?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
well i granted yesterday evening so i would have been dead today you would think and i want to walk into verizon with it pop up and ask them what it is and act like im clueless LOL and i am sure its a new method to moniter us

well i granted yesterday evening so i would have been dead today you would think and i want to walk into verizon with it pop up and ask them what it is and act like im clueless LOL and i am sure its a new method to moniter us

Not quite new. I had it happen back in July on my s4. Not to mention I've yet to have been asked on my m8. Oo

M8, nuff said.