[Q] Rooted, deleted a few things, then dead galaxy s4? What happened?

Search This thread

daveyp225

Apr 11, 2010
So I rooted my s4 using towelroot and stupidly tried to install a custom recovery. First CWM then TWRP (not sure if this has anything to do with it, likely not?). Now it has no power, and wont charge...

Events leading up to the dead s4:

I "rebooted to recovery" and it brought me to the DOWNLOADING! screen instead of a recovery manager, I held down power and then it shut off and it turned back on again and brought me to another screen asking me to continue or boot normally.

I booted normally.

Then I deleted a few of the annoying apps that were preinstalled, nothing that was listed as essential to the Kernel/OS using Root App Delete. Finally I went to work with the battery dying, and it died on the way.

I tried to charge it the following morning and it would not charge. No LED light, no vibrate that usually happens. I left it alone with the battery out for 2 days, switching back to my s3. Tried again, still nothing.

Wont charge, computer wont recognize. Tried 3 different cables, a samsung charger and my asus tablet charger. Apparently it is a brick.

Thought it might be the USB port, and from a previous screen swap I performed, I still had the old USB assembly, so I swapped them, and it still will not respond. I even tried the older screen, nothing.

Anyone have the slightest clue what happened? I bought another battery to try, but doubt it will resolve the problem.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
So I rooted my s4 using towelroot and stupidly tried to install a custom recovery. First CWM then TWRP (not sure if this has anything to do with it, likely not?). Now it has no power, and wont charge...

I "rebooted to recovery" and it brought me to the DOWNLOADING! screen instead of a recovery manager, I held down power and then it shut off and it turned back on again and brought me to another screen asking me to continue or boot normally.

I booted normally.

Then I deleted a few of the annoying apps that were preinstalled, nothing that was listed as essential to the Kernel/OS using Root App Delete. Finally I went to work with the battery dying, and it died on the way.

I tried to charge it the following morning and it would not charge. No LED light, no vibrate that usually happens. I left it alone with the battery out for 2 days, switching back to my s3. Tried again, still nothing.

Wont charge, computer wont recognize. Tried 3 different cables, a samsung charger and my asus tablet charger. Apparently it is a brick.

Thought it might be the USB port, and from a previous screen swap I performed, I still had the old USB assembly, so I swapped them, and it still will not respond. I even tried the older screen, nothing.

Anyone have the slightest clue what happened? I bought another battery to try, but doubt it will resolve the problem.

simple research you could have avoided all this....unless you have a MDK bootloader you CAN NOT install any custom recovery like TWRP of CWM without messing your phone up. Safestrap is your ONLY option. The link below is where you should have started your research. Most likely now you will have to try odin a clean image tar of your phone's firmware base
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

Reactions: daveyp225

daveyp225

Apr 11, 2010
simple research you could have avoided all this....unless you have a MDK bootloader you CAN NOT install any custom recovery like TWRP of CWM without messing your phone up. Safestrap is your ONLY option. The link below is where you should have started your research. Most likely now you will have to try odin a clean image tar of your phone's firmware base

thank you. I know i messed up, have rooted/installed cfw on like 10 android phones but they always packaged root and unlocked the bootloader at once, which I never noticed.

Also, how can I connect the phone to odin if it wont connect to a PC? or charge for that matter

Kole_Ackerson

Feb 27, 2012
Minden, NV
thank you. I know i messed up, have rooted/installed cfw on like 10 android phones but they always packaged root and unlocked the bootloader at once, which I never noticed.

Also, how can I connect the phone to odin if it wont connect to a PC? or charge for that matter

Re install your drivers then try again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Sounds like a total brick to me. There are jtag services. I bought the equipment myself to jtag for a hard brick but my warranty company decided the replace my phone after all so I didn't have to use the equipment. Mine did the same exact thing. Wouldn't even get warm when plugged into the charger.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I booted normally.