Unlock SD Card

Search This thread

KGI333

Jun 15, 2007
Brooklyn
Clone SD Card

Is there a way to clone my sd card. I have 2gb in my Focus but I want to upgrade to a new 16gb card, but dont want to lose all my information. Any suggestions.

zyexx

Jan 4, 2009
Kingston
Strange enough when I put the card in my captivate i can browse to it from my phone, just no where else, even if I use the phone to format it, its still not readable in the PC.

What version of the symbian software is on the phones you guys use?

V DidDy 210

Jul 10, 2007
NY
now that they've stopped selling the vivaz and e71, anyone know any other att phones that format my card?

i want to put it in my atrix

c_h0use

Dec 22, 2010
The only thing that can repair the SD after you take it out of a WP7 phone is a Nokia N8 or any other Symbian^3 phone with an SD slot. Engadget confirmed this and I'll put the link for the article up later. Don't know about older versions of Symbian though.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

V DidDy 210

Jul 10, 2007
NY
^Oh I'm well aware, does ANY carrier stock a symbian device? T-Mobile? Sprint? Verizon?

I live in Upstate, New York So any of those are my options

V DidDy 210

Jul 10, 2007
NY
Just so everyone knows, t mobile has the nokia e73 but they are set to remove the working unit from the floor at the end of april. They don't know if they will be getting any more symbian units after this because they are moving exclusively to android and windows phone soon

phoneguy 4567

Apr 13, 2007
Found an at&t phone that works... The Sony Ericsson vivaz will do it... Just install sd..working SIM.... Go to settings, pics, choose the media card... It will ask glr the code... just choose format... Did a 16 &32 today...

Hope this helps...

For some reason I can't get the above to work, it asks for the code which I cancel but it won't let me choose format. Does this work with with a card formatted with the Focus?

rsohne

Mar 4, 2007
T-Mobile should be selling the Nokia Astound and it should do the trick. It is the same as my N8 and I can format any memory cards that I used on the focus. If you can find one at a dealer put in the memory card and hit the center button. Then go /applications/office/file mgr. Hold your finger down on the memory card and choose format on the menu. Hope this helps.

iba21

Jul 1, 2010
Venice
WORKS with N95 ;)

if i put the sd in the n95 it says me it needs a password to see the card files, i don't have that password.. if i try to format, i can do it, and it works, it will format in fat32

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Lost in Europe :)
Really old? (15th November 2010) Quoting:
RotoRooter said:
So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.

Pixa1

Apr 23, 2009
Zagreb
i used my Nokia E63, Tools-Memory-Memory Card ->options -> Format card. Works great

p.s. it prompted me for a password when i inserted the card

Dyskmaster

Jul 5, 2010
hate to bring up an old topic, but are there any more US carriers that currently sell symbian devices as of today? I finally removed my sd card (was, somehow, causing lag on my phone at times and I didn't know why) because it was causing problems. Anyway, I'm not about to throw out a 32gb microSD card because my phone locked it up. Are there any really really cheap symbian phones (that can handle sdhc cards) which I could find on amazon or ebay? Thanks in advanced
(oh, and strange thing happened, i put the micro sd and adapter in my 3ds and... it asked me if i wanted to format it. I said yes, it went for about 2 seconds and then said "this SD card is locked or encripted, please unlock to use. it was about 2 seonds of elation and then complete deflation :-/)

Last edited:

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Lost in Europe :)
hate to bring up an old topic, but are there any more US carriers that currently sell symbian devices as of today? I finally removed my sd card (was, somehow, causing lag on my phone at times and I didn't know why) because it was causing problems. Anyway, I'm not about to throw out a 32gb microSD card because my phone locked it up. Are there any really really cheap symbian phones (that can handle sdhc cards) which I could find on amazon or ebay? Thanks in advanced

Try in a camera, it should work.

xfox

Nov 1, 2005
tried old Nokia's like the N80 and the very old 6600 but with no luck, i also tried my Sony camcorder which couldn't do it and my wife's digital cam which also couldn't make it
ill try the Vivas if i manage to get it working and all even give the E72 a try.
will post back with the results

xfox

Nov 1, 2005
i managed to use a Nokia e71 that was on display in a mobile store nearby -_o , i inserted the card and went to the memory settings and formatted it.
after that i turned my HD2 off installed the card and did a hard reset....then voila
the phone was up and running again :)

TheCuban

Nov 6, 2011
Is there any way to do this without a Nokia phone? I have a 32GB card from a WP7 that I sold months ago and would like to use it in my Evo 3D.

Anyone know of a way?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Symbian is your answer

So I was in the same boat you are in. Nothing could read the card except for my Nokia n97 mini. It recognized the card as "locked" and prompted for a password. I bypassed the prompt and went to the file manager. From there it let me format the card and it is back to normal. See, Symbian is good for something after all!

PS: I tried the same process with an E71 and had the same successful results. All recent Symbian phones should work as it appears they can handle the encryption and password. The card is now happily back in my HTC EVO.
    Guys, what's happening is that the phone is locking the card with a random 128-bit key. It's futile to try to guess it.

However, you *can* send an force erase command to the card to delete all the data on it, and reset the key. That's what Symbian is doing, and why it works to reformat the card.

Unfortunately, Windows, OSX and Linux don't know anything about SD cards, so they're not going to be able to help you erase the card, since they don't know how to send the command.

All of this is described in section 4.3.7 of this spec:

sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdcard/pls/Simplified_Physical_Layer_Spec.pdf

I used a friends t-mobile Nokia 5230, running S60 5th Edition, to recover my 8GB microSD. It was a pain finding the format option (no familiarity with S60) but I now have a working SD card again.
    Another user reported being able to reformat these post WP7 Micro SD cards in his Windows Mobile 6.5 handset.

Can anyone try this and confirm?

I tried on my Tilt 2 with no luck (said something like "unable to complete format- card was removed").
    i used an adata 8gb class 6 sdcard in my focus.
    when i take it out. nothing can recognize it. when i put it into my memory reader and use disk part to clear it and repartition it, the computer says no media is inserted, when it is.

i can take it out and put it back in the focus, and it works just fine. I can put in another focus and it says its the wrong sdcard for this phone.

so the sdcard works, i just need to change its format back to normal. how is that possible when windows and 3 different card readers can not detect it?

Edit: i also tried doing a windows 7 format and when the phone reset i pulled out the sdcard while the phone was off. no go.

Engadget found the solution. Find a symbian phone (preferably Nokia) and reformat it in one and you'll be fine.

Apparently WP7 adds a secure Id to the sd card wherein it will only be recognized by the phone only and nothing else. Hence the name "secure digital" card.