FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Rooting Fuhu Nabi 2. The problematic ones...

561 posts
Thanks Meter: 771

By ZPaul2Fresh8, Senior Member on 27th December 2012, 03:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok after getting my 6 year old son one of these I have been trying to get this thing rooted and I've finally done it. The big problem is that I have a NABI 2 that has the touchscreen calibration issue with TWRP recovery so flashing anything is a PITA! Here's what I did in a nutshell...

This is aimed at people with little to no experience with Rooting or Recovery that are having problems with TWRP and touchscreen calibration.

Big Thanks goes to jmztaylor for Root and t499user for GApps!

Make sure Android Debugging is Enabled(Settings/Development on your Nabi) and your software version is 1.9.23(Settings/About in your Nabi) before proceeding..

FIRST STEP: Rooting the Device.

1. Use the tool posted here on the first post of this thread.
It can be found here: http://www.androidfiles.org/secureke...ota_1.9.23.zip

Run the tool from a Command Prompt within Windows and Choose option #2 and DO NOT install GApps at this time.

Note: After rebooting your device go into Daddy/Mommy mode and check for the SuperUser app (SU). If it's not present then the tool you just used didn't work. But don't worry you can still root it, it's just going to take and extra step and I pray that you don't have the touchscreen calibration problem in TWRP like I have. Proceed to STEP A if you DO NOT have the SuperUser App. If you do have it then Congrats you can proceed to the SECOND STEP.
STEP A. If you do not see the SuperUser app then you must get your device back in to TWRP recovery by either running the tool from Step 1 or by powering the device off and holding the Volume + AND Power button together until your see the Nabi Logo. Use the Volume - button to navigate down the Recovery Kernel and press Volume + to confirm.

Now that you're into TWRP we basically are going to flash the SuperUser app manually so go to INSTALL. Now if the button seems unresponsive then your touchcreen is off calibration like others on this forum. No fix is out for that problem you just have to live with it. Usually it's about a 1/2" below what you're actually seeing so you'll have to adapt. Moving on...

After pressing Install navigate to the Directory 'sdcard' to find the file name "root.zip". Just select it and SLIDE TO SWIPE, again if you're having touchscreen issues when SLIDING just aim for the AT MOST BOTTOM of the screen where the edge of the interaction area meets the black area. After flashing successfully boot your device and check for the Super User app. If it's there then Congrats MOVE ON to STEP 2. If not, re-read and START OVER at STEP 1.

STEP 2: Adding Google Apps aka GApps (Google Play, You Tube, Gmail etc..)

A. Grab the GApps for the Nabi 2 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2065878
Tip: Use the Nabi's Web Browser to download them.

B. See STEP 1A on How to Flash your new acquired GApps. Only this time the file can be found in the sdcard/downloads/ directory.
If all goes well then you should have a fully functional Nabi 2 tablet that you can use Google Play to get new Apps for your children or use it for yourself what ever you wish...

Another Tip: I see the selection of Apps for this device can seem limited on the Play Store, I'm assuming it's because of the rare screen resolution it uses. I found you can use Google Drive to transfer Apps from one Android device to another. I'm not going into how that's done here though...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZPaul2Fresh8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ZPaul2Fresh8 Ad-Free

15th January 2013, 12:33 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 188

More
This is a great post on working around the issue. There is also a new version of TWRP that uses the newer kernel that fixes the touch screen issue all together.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2074501
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nabi-2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)