Nexus 7 defects?

Where did you receive your defective Nexus 7 from?

• Google Play Store

Votes: 706 57.7%
  • GameStop

Votes: 77 6.3%
  • ebuyer

Votes: 61 5.0%
  • Staples

Votes: 140 11.4%
  • Office Depot

Votes: 71 5.8%
  • Sams Club

Votes: 40 3.3%
  • Adorama

Votes: 15 1.2%
  • Walmart

Votes: 92 7.5%
  • Best Buy

Votes: 56 4.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread
T

_thalamus

Because a handful of people have reported something here? Because someone complained that the right side of his is, quote, "squeaking"? Look in any forum about anything with an LCD screen and you will find people complaining about dead pixels. Why should this be any different?

Since the breakdown showed that the top is clipped to the bottom, it wouldn't be particularly surprising if it came loose in a corner in shipping. Pushing it back into place should fix it as another poster indicated it has (at least over a few hours).

There are only a handful of people with the device though. Hence why it could be considered worrying. Maybe it was a duff batch (which shouldn't have been sold anyway). Who knows?

jptech

May 13, 2009
Miami
There are only a handful of people with the device though. Hence why it could be considered worrying. Maybe it was a duff batch (which shouldn't have been sold anyway). Who knows?

all those sold by the play store were recalled from their shipping hubs due to ASUS's defects. Hence the delay. When we receive our devices, they should be defect free.

T

_thalamus

all those sold by the play store were recalled from their shipping hubs due to ASUS's defects. Hence the delay. When we receive our devices, they should be defect free.

I could quite believe that and it sounds likely, but I haven't seen any hard evidence of it.

the noan

Jun 15, 2010
San Antonio
OnePlus 7 Pro
Damn that's ****ty. Mine is flawless : knock on wood: just to let y'all know not all are defective. Hope google/gamestop/whoever rights these wrongs for you guys. This device so far has had a really flaky launch

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

hanthesolo

Jan 23, 2012
They may have had a flaky bunch initially, but my personal theory is that these defects are occurring because it's been so hot this summer (at least in the us). Just hear me out out on this one: they put your pristine N7 in the back of xyz shipping truck, which then promptly heats up to over 100 degrees in the summer sun. At that temp, the metal starts expanding, the glue softens, you get a timely bump in the road, and BAM you have a damaged device. That seems plausible, at least to me. Another thing to worry about, as my N7 is coming fro. CALIFORNIA into the hot south.

mr1ncred1ble

May 1, 2010
chiraq
Google Pixel 2
Razer Phone 2
Called my gamestop, returning mine today as defective they are gonna have to get me a new one shipped as soon as possible. Separation is definitely getting worse, at first it was barely noticeable but now it feels like I have a lump in my screen and the glass is visibly higher.

Sent From the Future

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
The issues with the screen I experienced, and confirmed by most of those in thread is not to do with the clips/ability to dismantle the top from bottom. Rather, the issue is that the left hand side of the screen does not sit neatly and firmly within the silver band while the rest of it is solidly attached. Hence, just pushing it back in is only a short term workaround and not a fix. The comparison with a dead pixel or two is not a tenable one.

While there are several reports out of "not so many" shipped it's probably not endemic. If it was there would be 500 posts already on this. I'm staying sanguine on this, there are always problems first up and someone's got to get it!

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

Glod

Dec 11, 2009
Richmond, Va
I dont have a defective screen thankfully, the device feels like it can handle a drop--its strong, love the build.

but my speaker is extremely quiet and crappy--is this normal or did i get a defect?

mr1ncred1ble

May 1, 2010
chiraq
Google Pixel 2
Razer Phone 2
The issues with the screen I experienced, and confirmed by most of those in thread is not to do with the clips/ability to dismantle the top from bottom. Rather, the issue is that the left hand side of the screen does not sit neatly and firmly within the silver band while the rest of it is solidly attached. Hence, just pushing it back in is only a short term workaround and not a fix. The comparison with a dead pixel or two is not a tenable one.

While there are several reports out of "not so many" shipped it's probably not endemic. If it was there would be 500 posts already on this. I'm staying sanguine on this, there are always problems first up and someone's got to get it!

What he said..I don't think the screen defect is common, this thing got stellar reviews, and it is awesome. I'm actually considering a second one. On mine at least, I would consider it a minor defect and could probably live with it, if I didn't think it would get worse.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: salmun

Timbermill

Jul 11, 2008
xdaforums.com
Excellent device but mine isn't flush on the right side of the screen. (Portrait)
After a few hours of use it's starting to pop if you press midway on the bezel.

The problem seemed to be getting worse today but after hearing it's just a clip (not glue) - I resorted to force.
I needed to put quite a bit of pressure (more than seems safe) to do it, but it has properly clicked back into place now.
Smooth the side back into place then pinch it firmly with your thumb and forefinger in the middle of your 'rise'.
(turn your screen off if you're squeamish - you will hear a loud click when it goes back in)

DEFINITELY FIXED :good:

WARNING: THIS CAN BREAK YOUR SCREEN

For clarity, I didn't have any dents in the bezel. Try to spread any pressure on the screen side. Pinch the bezel together, not the lcd panel.
Your problem might be different to mine, so try this at your own risk.

pinch-bezel.jpg

Last edited:

silvscorp

Jan 30, 2007
for those who had defective unit, may be you can try use hair dryer to heat up the "raised screen" section for a 5- 10 mins. and then press screen down again for a little while this see might help?

I am just guessing if it's really the adhesive problem, the hair dryer might be soften it a little to help hold the screen down. I used similar method to fix my phones before so not sure will work in this case. Of course, be extra careful when heating, don't hold it too close at the same spot for too as the heat might melt the bezel or the screen depends on what kind of hair dryer you have.

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
The problem seemed to be getting worse today but after hearing it's just a clip (not glue) - I resorted to force.

I needed to put quite a bit of pressure (more than seems safe) to do it, but it feels like it has properly clipped back into place now.

Did it sound like a clip? Did it click? I hope it fixed for you, but the ifixit teardown shows the clips as holding the top and bottom of the case together rather that the screen within the silver band, if memory serves. I'll be interested to know if your one stays in place. I'm awaiting a replacement for other reasons.

Timbermill

Jul 11, 2008
xdaforums.com
Did it sound like a clip? Did it click?
I've updated my post a little. Yes, it was a clip, and the click was quite loud.
Over the course of today, I kept pushing it back down into place only for it to pop out again after playing a game.
Eventually I pinched it back in, using much more force than before and it made a crisp click noise.
I've just tried a game of pinball and, fingers crossed, it seems sorted. :cool:

The light bleed I was getting in the bottom right corner seems to be relieved now that the screen has fully click in.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a theory too, nothing in life is perfect, or pristine. Even the hottest super model gets a pimple on her ass from time to time, and I wouldn't ship her off just because of a blemish. No company makes a perfect product, and people, due to an irrational OCD with electronics want it 100% perfect, and as long as people are assembling these products, there will be imperfections. The sad part is, the vast majority of the things people return electronics for do not impact the use of the product, and are barely visable to the naked eye. We love to put everything under a microscope, though. Gotta have something to freak out about, I suppose.

Soooooo everyone should just be happy with their defective N7's because a product working 100% the way it is supposed to is too much to ask for?
    I pre-ordered mine from the Play Store on the 28th with the case. I have received no word or email or nothing yet on when/if mine is being shipped. Not a peep. Though it does bring a tiny sparkle to my eye to see all the people that bashed Google just because Gamestop was giving them out so early, only for so many of the GameStop ones to have issues thus far.

I hope mine is flawless. If it has lightbleed issues, Ill return it depending on how severe. If it has flickering issues, those wont bother me unless it is severe and happening with just about every page refresh etc. If mine has a little separation from the back of the device, I'll first try to push it back in place, if that doesn't work, I will throw my cover on there and see if that helps with the issue. If not and the squeaking becomes a nuissance from just normal use rather than being a very very occasional thing, I'd probably return it.

For me it all depends on the severity of the issue I may encounter if it is worth the trouble of having it replaced.
    But my original point: It is not unreasonable for every single person that ordered a Nexus 7 to have a completely defect-free device.
    So your "not everyone or everything is perfect!" argument is just flawed and invalid.
    My screen doesn't lift but I'm noticing a little creaking on the left side. It only happens really when I squeeze the tablet which I normally wouldn't do. Am I being picky thinking about returning it or should I be happy my screen is level and just live with it?

Take my advice. If everything else is working properly, keep it. It's not worth nitpicking over something like this and then getting another unit with worse problems. You'll regret it.
    Excellent device but mine isn't flush on the right side of the screen. (Portrait)
    After a few hours of use it's starting to pop if you press midway on the bezel.

I needed to put quite a bit of pressure (more than seems safe) to do it, but it has properly clicked back into place now.
    Smooth the side back into place then pinch it firmly with your thumb and forefinger in the middle of your 'rise'.
    (turn your screen off if you're squeamish - you will hear a loud click when it goes back in)

DEFINITELY FIXED :good:

WARNING: THIS CAN BREAK YOUR SCREEN

For clarity, I didn't have any dents in the bezel. Try to spread any pressure on the screen side. Pinch the bezel together, not the lcd panel.
    Your problem might be different to mine, so try this at your own risk.

pinch-bezel.jpg

Please stop making things up. People might start believing it.
    They may have had a flaky bunch initially, but my personal theory is that these defects are occurring because it's been so hot this summer (at least in the us). Just hear me out out on this one: they put your pristine N7 in the back of xyz shipping truck, which then promptly heats up to over 100 degrees in the summer sun. At that temp, the metal starts expanding, the glue softens, you get a timely bump in the road, and BAM you have a damaged device. That seems plausible, at least to me. Another thing to worry about, as my N7 is coming fro. CALIFORNIA into the hot south.