[ROOT][HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version

In your opinion, when looking back at this thread, how easy were the instructions?

• Total voters
Search This thread

999jcp999

Mar 20, 2015
Artemis!

I'm having a hard time rooting my Kindle 1. So I thought I would try this approach. ABD and Kindle USB drive install from Android SDK Running in Android Studio. Running (in cmd) kill -server follwed by start-server finds the kindle and serial number. ABD seems to be working. Kindle shows up in Device Manager. Kindle shows up under portable devices as F:\ but is properly identified as a Kindle on Hardware tab. I have successfully transferred files from my PC to Kindle.

While extracting the KFFirstAide to C:\ my Antivirus (McAfee LiveSafe) identified the following Program a potentially unwanted:

Artemis!49C9E600CA41

I'm both a newbie and a coward so if told the AV to remove the unwanted program which deleted the whole C;\KFFirstAide directory.
What is the Artemis Program? Should I allow it to run?

I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed.

Windows 8.1 64 bit
Kindle 1 with software version 6.3.3
8G of memory

Thanks
John

xxjahasotoxx

Feb 5, 2011
Hi im a bit confused on whether or not I'm in the correct forum for my kindle, do these forums cover the kindle 3rd gen which is the first HD?

Reactions: liq456

SilentlyScreaming

Feb 7, 2008
Astana
chrismerriman.com
Which version of KFFirstAid?
Which option(s) did you choose?
Error messages displayed?
Current state of your Kindle?
Different cable, PC tried?

I'll not likely know the solution, but the info above would probably help others to assist.

J. C. Maxwell

Jul 4, 2015
Hi im a bit confused on whether or not I'm in the correct forum for my kindle, do these forums cover the kindle 3rd gen which is the first HD?

I, too, am looking for information on rooting and flashing a Kindle Fire HD (3rd Generation) - model P48WVB4, in my case.

So far, I haven't found anything here. but I'll keep looking.

If anyone else sees this post and can confirm that it is not possible yet, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: liq456

tapman

Aug 16, 2013
@prokennexusa Not sure if you still maintain this tool, but wanted to submit a bug report for the KFFirstAide x64 toolkit.

Any of the cmds that involve wget are throwing a cert error saying it's unable to verify. It's dropbox so I'm inclined to trust the cert. In that case you just need to add --no-check-certificate after the wget in order to bypass. As in: wget --no-check-certificate http://google.com

Then the cmds continue without any further issues.

Thanks for the great work!

hou2

Jul 11, 2015
Is this step required? I got the following error. I am running Windows 8.1 32 bit

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
An error has occurred setting the element data.
The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted.

hou2

Jul 11, 2015
Are the instructions outdated due to newer versions of KFFirstAide? Instructions for Step C-1 says "Select Option 15 to Root the Kindle." But for me Option 15 is "Reboot The Kindle In To Fastboot Mode (Preferred Method)". Should I select Option 21 "Root The Kindle Fire - Method 2 (Preferred)" instead?

emaster101

Sep 26, 2008
www.noticeorange.com
To enable ADB on the newest kindles you will need to do the following:
1.Settings
2.Device Options
3. Then tap Serial Number 7 times.
This enables Developer options. It will be located directly under serial number.
4. Select Dev Opt
5. under Debugging, Enable ADB.
Hope this helps

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a simple Step-by-Step guide on How To: How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and Kindle Fire 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version. The main group steps are outlined with A, B, C while the sub-group steps are outlined with 1, 2, 3. We attempt to keep this tutorial updated regularly - adding information from the end users experience. We have recently upgraded the storage servers to increase uptime, you now have two options for the downloads both are ad free. Option one is a Dropbox Storage Server and Option two is a Ubuntu One Storage Server, if one is under maintenance you may use the other download link. When you are done with the tutorial, please take the time to post feedback, this is very important to us - without your feedback, we have no way of knowing if we are doing our job. Finally, if you feel we did a decent job, please think about donating to us using the "Donate to Me" button - this is how we make a living, without your kind donations we would no longer be able to do this for a living.

Prerequisites:

1. Software: Windows XP, 7 or 8 Workstation 32bit or 64bit
    2. Hardware: Free USB 2.0 or Greater Port
    3. Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Fire HD 8.9" or Kindle Fire 2 7"

Note: Windows 7 and Vista users, please perform this fix before Rooting:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36373627

It is important that you use our Utilities since we have modified the ADB daemons plus we did little tweaks in some of the batch files. PLEASE USE OUR UTILITIES, WE ARE RECEIVING A NUMBER OF FAILURES CAUSED BY USING ANOTHER PARTIES UTILITIES. IF YOU FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW, EXACTLY, YOU HAVE A 99% CHANCE OF SUCCESS.

Unplug the Kindle from USB.

A) Although the processes do not use Java directly, the software does call to some Java API's so we need to make sure Java is updated to the latest version. Please go to Oracle's site here: Java SE Development Kit 7u13 download and install Java SDK 32-bit or 64-bit. Reboot your computer after installing the Java update.

B) The first step is to get the ADB Driver installed. If you already performed this step and verified communication to the Kindle, move on to Main Step C

Note: Please remove any old or outdated drivers by following the instructions in Post #361 here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37733595&postcount=361

The following ADB Driver was provided by Amazon and should install on most platforms (Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8): Kindle Fire ADB drivers(Dropbox) or Kindle Fire ADB Drivers(Ubuntu One)

Note: Due to intermittent issues with the USB Drivers, we offer two versions. First try Kindle Fire ADB drivers.exe if this
    does not open ADB Communication try the new updated KindleDrivers.exe

Please open an Administrative CMD Prompt and enter:

Code:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
    Reboot the Computer to apply the above command.

Extract the Kindle Fire ADB drivers.zip to your desktop.

1. Unzip Kindle Fire ADB drivers.zip to Kindle Fire ADB drivers on your desktop.
    2. Click windows start button.
    3. Next choose Search, in the "Search programs and files" box type "cmd" (don't hit enter or search).
    4. The program "cmd.exe" should be listed at the top. Right click that and select "Run As Administrator".
    5. Navigate to the Kindle Fire ADB drivers.exe or KindleDrivers.exe using the DOS Command cd.
    6. Next, the install will begin, allow the install to complete.
    7. While the driver is installing. Go to the Kindle unlock if locked.
    8. Pull down the upper bar. Select "More".
    9. Now Select the "Security" Tab.
    10. In Security is an option to: Enable ADB
    11. Select "On" to Enable ADB on the Kindle

If not, We have an alternative driver here: usb_driver(Dropbox) or usb_driver(Ubuntu One)

Extract the alternative driver to your desktop and follow the install instructions at the bottom of this response

The alternative driver originates from the Android SDK and is universal for just about any Android device.

The alternative driver instructions are for Windows XP but can be used with Windows 7 and Vista.

Once we get ADB installed then let's plugin the Kindle to your computer USB to see if it initializes properly.

Once this driver has been properly installed you will see "Android Composite ADB Interface" under "Kindle Fire" in the Windows Device Manager which is located by Right Hand Mouse Click Computer, Choose Properties, then Devices or Device Manager. Expand the tree. Expand Kindle. This is where you will see "Android Composite ADB Interface".

Amazon Notes regarding this ADB Driver can be found here: Amazon ADB Notes

ALTERNATIVE DRIVER INSTALL (Vista/XP/Windows7):

Windows XP

To install the Android USB driver on Windows XP for the first time:

1. Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port. Windows will detect the device and launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
    2. Select Install from a list or specific location and click Next.
    3. Select Search for the best driver in these locations; un-check Search removable media; and check Include this location in the search.
    4. Click Browse and locate the USB driver folder. (The Google USB Driver is located on your desktop \usb_driver\.)
    5. Click Next to install the driver.

Or, to upgrade an existing Android USB driver on Windows XP with the new driver:

1. Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port.
    2. Right-click on My Computer from your desktop or Windows Explorer, and select Manage.
    3. Select Device Manager in the left pane.
    4. Locate and expand Android Phone in the right pane.
    5. Right-click Android Composite ADB Interface and select Update Driver. This will launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
    6. Select Install from a list or specific location and click Next.
    7.Select Search for the best driver in these locations; un-check Search removable media; and check Include this location in the search.
    8. Click Browse and locate the USB driver folder. (The Google USB Driver is located on your desktop \usb_driver\.)
    9.Click Next to upgrade the driver.

C-1) The next steps are used to Root the Kindle - Preferred Method (Automated Version)

The problem "Device not Found" is usually driver related or ADB Security issue. Let's make sure ADB is enabled on the Kindle under Security - Enable ADB?

Open the Windows Task Manager. Review the Processes. "End Process" on any adb.exe running. If you installed the Android SDK, there is probably a PATH Statement pointing to the platform-tools folder. To avoid adb.exe start-up conflicts, temporarily rename the SDK platform-tools folder to platform-tools-temp.

Plug the Kindle back into USB if it is not already plugged into USB.

Root Step 1: Download Kindle Fire First Aide: Windows 32-bit Version Or Windows 64-bit Version

Root Step 2: Using either 7-Zip or Microsoft Zip, unzip the KFFirstAide.zip to your C:\ Drive as C:\KFFirstAide

Root Step 3: With your mouse, open the C:\KFFirstAide contents by double mouse clicking the C:\KFFirstAide folder

Root Step 4: Find the RunMe.bat file. Right Hand Mouse click on RunMe.bat, select 'Send to', select Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now press the Left Hand Mouse button to create the Shortcut named RunMe.bat.

Root Step 5: Find the RunMe Shortcut on your desktop, select it by left mouse click over the icon, then while on the icon choose Right Hand mouse click, select Properties.

Root Step 6: This will display the RunMe properties. Select the General Tab, change the top name to KF First Aide. Then click on the Shortcut tab, click on Advanced. Check 'Run as Administrator', click OK, then click Apply, then click OK. All windows should be closed.

Root Step 7: Double Mouse Click the new Icon named KF First Aide. You may be presented with a security window, just click Yes.

Root Step 8: Please click on the Windows Key plus Pause/Break, this will display the Windows System Properties. Next Click on the Advanced Tab and find "Environment Variables". Please click on Environment Variables and find the Path Statement. Carefully add at the end of the Path Statement:

Code:
    ;C:\KFFirstAide
    Note: Do Not forget the semi-colen before the C:\KFFirstAide

Root Step 9: That is it! The software is ready. Next we get the Kindle ready to Root.

Root Step 10: Please check the Kindle under More + > Security - make sure ADB is ON. Leave it disconnected from USB.

Root Step 11: Launch Kindle Fire First Aide, if the ADB Driver is not installed, use Option 12 to Install the ADB Driver

Root Step 12: Make sure the Kindle is turned ON, plugged into the Computer USB and ready. Select Option 15 to Root the Kindle. If Option 15 fails to Root the Kindle, use Option 16.

Root Step 13: That is it! The Kindle now has Root, you may close the software.

You may view the Kindle Fire First Aide Forum Notes here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2096888

C-2) The next steps are used to Root the Kindle - Alternative Method (Manual Version):

The problem "Device not Found" is usually driver related or ADB Security issue. Let's make sure ADB is enabled on the Kindle under Security - Enable ADB?

Open the Windows Task Manager. Review the Processes. "End Process" on any adb.exe running. If you installed the Android SDK, there is probably a PATH Statement pointing to the platform-tools folder. To avoid adb.exe start-up conflicts, temporarily rename the SDK platform-tools folder to platform-tools-temp.

Plug the Kindle back into USB if it is not already plugged into USB.

1. Download Root MANY ANDROID 32-bit!(Dropbox) or Root MANY ANDROID! 64-bit(Dropbox) to your desktop. Extract to your desktop. This package includes updated adb daemons.

NOTE WINDOWS 7 USERS: You need to open a command prompt "as Administrator" when running the above utility batch files RunMe.bat and RootQemu.bat - otherwise Windows will respond with "Permission Denied".

Make sure the Kindle is still plugged into USB.

Root Step 1: Run RunMe.bat from Root MANY ANDROID! through a command window as noted:

Double Mouse Click and Open the Win32 or Win64 folder.

Next Single Left Mouse Click on the Win32 or Win64 folder tool-bar.

This highlights the Win32 or Win64 folder.

Note: Make sure none of the files within the Win32 or Win64 are highlighted in blue.

Next Press the SHIFT Key, next Right Hand Mouse Click

Choose "Open command window here"

A Command window will open, finally type

Code:
    RunMe.bat
    Choose option 1, Run Normal Method and ignore errors. Pay attention, you will need to answer "Restore" a dialogue box on the Kindle. If you are asked for an 'encryption password', enter the password you use to sign onto Amazon. Click on Restore. When the program has completed, the Kindle will Reboot.

Root Step 2: When the Kindle reboots it may react VERY slow, this is normal - leave it alone. Immediately proceed to Step 1 again. If the Kindle reboot normally and appears normal, then proceed to Step 3 you are almost done.

Root Step 3: Download suchecker.apk from here: Root Checker Basic(Dropbox)

Root Step 4: Using Windows Explorer, move suchecker from the desktop to /Kindle/Internal Drive/Download

Root Step 5: Now go to the Kindle. Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, go to /sdcard/Download/suchecker.apk choose Install

Root Step 6: When the install has finished, go to your Apps. Launch Root Checker. When you check Root you will be presented with a "Allow" dialog box, be sure to Allow Root Checker. You should now see that Superuser.apk is working.

You should now have root AND if this is true your ADB communication is also functional.

D) Finally, let's disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Updates so your hard work is not destroyed.

OTA Step 1: Open Kindle Fire First Aide - Select Option 14 to Disable OTA.

Note: You may still install the updates manually after you have read the install notes and know what to expect. The updates and manual install instructions can be found on Amazon Support here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201016350

E) Finally drop to an Administrative CMD and enter:

Code:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
    Reboot the computer to apply the above command.

When you run Root Checker, the output should be similar to:

2013.02.09-21.19.38.jpeg

Next, move onto our How to: Install Google Play Step-by-Step Thread
    ADB Communication Issues

how long is it suppose to stay at *daemon started successfully* ?

Once you plug in the Kindle, it takes up to 2 minutes for Windows to detect it. So having said this *daemon started successfully*
    Should not be displayed for longer than 2 minutes.

Where did you download the Utilities? From us or the developers? Our utilities use new updated adb.exe daemons
    dated 11/05/2012 11:06AM

If the adb.exe has the correct date stamp, then make sure you are following our instructions on how to open a command
    prompt. If you are following the instructions exactly then....

You must have Windows 7 which requires you to open an Administrative Prompt by choosing Run as: Administrator when
    opening the CMD Shortcut.
    How to Remove Old Device Drivers from Vista & Windows 7

Skirball,

The key when removing a driver is to check the box next to "remove the driver from the driver database" - here is a how to for other people having the same issue.

First make sure the Kindle is unplugged from USB.

One of the most annoying issues with Windows is when your hardware manufacturer fails to provide a proper driver for the operating system. Even when you do find the proper driver, sometimes the manufacturer releases an updated version which you then need to install on top of the older version. As if that's not enough, every version of Windows from the past 10 years or so, including server versions will retain the older driver binaries even if you upgrade or change hardware.
    There is a logic behind this behavior. If, for example, you're using a removable USB disk drive, which has once been plugged in, Windows will install the appropriate driver for it. When you eject that drive, Windows retains the drivers so that they will be ready the next time you connect the drive.
    But what about replacing a video adapter? A network interface card? A printer that has been thrown away? What about working with a laptop that you once used to connect to an external device, and has not used that device since? What happens to that driver if you never connect that device to your computer again?
    With time, your computer will gather an increasing number of unused drivers that not only take space on your hard disk, having been still installed, they might cause problems if they are somehow enabled. In some cases they can also cause hardware conflicts. And to make things worse, when you do want to use the same device after a long period of inactivity, even if you re-install an updated version of the driver, Windows might still use the older version of it.
    So how do you remove these old and un-used drivers? Let me show you.
    By default, Device Manager will only show you the devices it's currently using.

What you need to do is to configure Device Manager to show all those non-present device drivers, sometimes known as "phantom devices".

1. Go to Control Panel and double click on System. You can also right-click "Computer" on the Start menu (or on the desktop if it's shown there) and choose Properties.
    Note: A faster way for opening up the System applet is to press the Windows logo key on your keyboard and then press Pause/Break at the same time.
    2. Click on "Advance System Settings" link, and then click on the "Environment Variables" button.

3. In the System Variables section click on the "New" button.
    4. In the New System Variable dialog box, under the Variable Name value enter devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices (just copy the value from here and paste it there) and give it a variable value of 1.
    Click Ok.

5. In the Environment Variables window notice how the new variable appeared in the System Variables section. Click Ok.
    6. In the System Properties window click Ok.
    7. Log off and log on.
    8. Open Device Manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager).
    9. From the View menu click Show Hidden Devices and notice the change.

10. Now begin to remove each Phantom Device by Right Mouse Click Uninstall Device or Remove Device, be sure to check the box "Remove Driver From Windows" if offered the option, as you remove each Phantom Device.
    Feedback

Wow, this is an odd one. Since everything looks good, it has to be a ADB Conduit problem.

Did you take a look at the RevTv Video on installing ADB? Do you have any security software installed that may be blocking ADB?

Let's focus on getting ADB Installed Manually, this has to be the problem. Take a peek at the video.

OHMY!! I wish i could hug you right now,
    I finally got it rooted after 3days

just had to download SDK and install the driver that way through the video and reboot pc/kindle and BAM!! ROOOOOTEED. lol
    3 days of trying to figure this out, finally paid off....thank you. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Good Job! The best hug you can give us is to click on the Thanks meter to the Right and

Rate the Thread at the top. I knew you could do it!
    ADB Communication Issues

I downloaded the files from this thread, minus the ADB drivers because my computer already reads it under the device manager.

I go to the start menu, search for "cmd", run it as administrator and launch RunMe.bat from it
    and it reads this to me

http[semi-colon]//s9.postimage.org/bpzs9w8u7/Untitled_1[dot]jpg

and nothing happens to the kindle, no message to restore and if i press any key on the command prompt it doesnt do anything either.

Please verify the date of the adb.exe daemons. Reply back with the date if the daemon in Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17 Stuff folder.

Next download this mini-test utility: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/ADB%20Update.zip to your desktop

Unzip ADB Update.zip to your desktop

Open the ADB Update folder on your desktop

Make sure the Kindle is still plugged into USB.

Double Mouse Click and Open the ADB Update folder.

Next Single Left Mouse Click on the ADB Update folder toolbar.

This highlights the ADB Update folder.

Note: Make sure none of the files within the ADB Update are highlighted in blue.

Next Press the SHIFT Key, next Right Hand Mouse Click

Choose "Open command window here"

A Command window will open, finally type

Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    adb devices

Respond with the results.