[Q] Xperia Mini - NOT Pro - with front camera

Search This thread

Feanor88

May 6, 2012
Hello guys, I know it could sound really weird for you all, but here's my point: I just bought an Xperia Mini on eBay from a user claiming he had received it directly from Sony Ericsson as a free sample. I received it yesterday, it was unpacked and was sold together with the battery charger only. Nothing too strange.

By the way, after about half an hour I realized the phone had a front camera. :eek:
Ok, I watched the video and i know I'm a noob on XDA. But I'm no stupid :D
So don't tell me it's the light/proximity sensor! I wouldn't be here! It's a working front camera, since I can switch between this one and the "normal" one and take pictures. Here is a picture of the phone:

EDIT
Looks like I can't post links, so I'll just skip this step :eek:

Anyway, the other strange thing is that the phone comes with Android 2.3.3, build 4.0.A.2.368, and I can't update it. Not directly from the phone, nor using PC Companion. It just keeps saying the software is up to date.
So... have you ever heard of something like this? What should I do? :confused:

Feanor88

May 6, 2012
Model ST15i

I wrote to the seller, and he just answered me: he says that, working for a company that create applications for iOS and Android, they usually get five samples for each model. This is one of those. It could be, as I thought, a sort of "prototype". The thing is: I am grateful for the front camera, but I'd like to be able to get software updates, and this seems impossible. And also, I suppose that updating through "unofficial" ways would take to the impossibility of using the front camera.

i'm thinking of sending it back and buying a new one :(

gijs46

May 4, 2012
Antwerpen
really curious now.. Try adding photo's with the attachments feature !

Attachments

• Knipsel.JPG
    Knipsel.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 202

Feanor88

May 6, 2012
Here's the picture of the phone... I wouldn't be envious at all, anyway. I have a couple of days to understand if I can update the phone, if updating causes the impossibility of using the front camera, and if - even worse - it can cause hardware incompatibilities, crashes, explosions or else. Then I have to decide if I want to send it back or not.

D'oh.

Attachments

• DSC03387.jpg
    DSC03387.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 827

gijs46

May 4, 2012
Antwerpen
That's pretty cool... But it absolutely sucks that you can't update the firmware..

Maybe you can contact Sony and ask if there is any way to update..

Feanor88

May 6, 2012
That's pretty cool... But it absolutely sucks that you can't update the firmware..
That's my point. :(

Maybe you can contact Sony and ask if there is any way to update..
I doubt it... it looks like this is a "test" version that was long ago abandoned by developers... anyway, I'd rather buy a new phone. It's easier xD

@ahzoe
I'm italian and I bought it from a private seller, so I have a UNIQUE piece... wow, sooooo cool... lol

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
That's my point. :(

I doubt it... it looks like this is a "test" version that was long ago abandoned by developers... anyway, I'd rather buy a new phone. It's easier xD

@ahzoe
I'm italian and I bought it from a private seller, so I have a UNIQUE piece... wow, sooooo cool... lol

Sell it to someone for better price :D

BudgyN1

Dec 17, 2010
If I was you, I wouldn't contact Sony about it :D
If it was a test product, don't think they will be happy that an Xperia Mini is roaming around in the wild with a front camera. In my opinion if you really want to update, flash a ROM that is made for the Xperia Mini Pro, then you might be able to use the front camera. There is barely any difference between the XMP and XM then the HW keyboard and the Front camera. :D

Feanor88

May 6, 2012
That and just make sure you have a copy of current firmware.

Well... how do I create a backup copy of my firmware? Because I'm not sure it's the same as the "normal" 4.0.A.2.368. By the way, if I flash a new ROM on my device, what happens if I try to restore to the original manifacturer firmware? Does the phone keep it in memory, or does it restore to the new, "clean" firmware?

Sorry for my bad English, I don't know how to explain it better -__-

Svartehjerte

May 1, 2011
Talagante
Well... how do I create a backup copy of my firmware? Because I'm not sure it's the same as the "normal" 4.0.A.2.368. By the way, if I flash a new ROM on my device, what happens if I try to restore to the original manifacturer firmware? Does the phone keep it in memory, or does it restore to the new, "clean" firmware?

Sorry for my bad English, I don't know how to explain it better -__-

Install CWM recovery and do a backup :) maybe it will work if anything goes wrong

dumraden

Feb 18, 2008
This is SPARTAAAA!!
What you could do is flash any Rom you want, that is from a Stock Rom. BUT! Always back up your system so that you can go back to it if something goes wrong.

If you need any help on how to's and stuff like that just tell me and ill help you out.

Top Liked Posts