[OFF-TOPIC] Important Please Read OP (7/1/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Certainly does, much faster than Stock Sense 4.0 browser... Only thing is the icon doesn't match...

Anyway, aren't you running AOKP? Don't you already have the stock browser? ;)

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Looks great! I was told this by the One X forums, and I was searching for it! Your forum is soooo big!!

Anyway, I'm confused, why is this posted in the General forum, and the the Android Development forum??

Yes it is damn big, if you respond at a thread and go back to the forum the chances are high you need to scroll down to open the same thread again.

I really can't tell why it is at the general forum, maybe because it isn't released yet, but that's just a suggestion.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
Yep that's why. They did the same for the Nexus S build and it was moved to development when they released it.

Reactions: Tectas

danutHD

Apr 7, 2011
Bucharest
Hello,

I have an Desire S and i am quite happy with t, but still there are some issues that i wish i could solve. My phone keeps restarting during calls and then recovers with an messae telling me that sense had stopped working. Htc told me that i should run the phone in sfe mode and see if works. Well it kept doing that.

Is there any way that i could flash the whole original rom without s-off and rooting? It has come to my mind that maybe, the update from sense 2 to 3 did not go well.

Thank you.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA

lowveld

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2008
Got a few hands-on minutes with the S3 yesterday, didn't have a chance to properly test it off course, but it was usefull:

- Seems snappy enough, but off course it would, wouldn't it?
- Sometimes does feel "slowish", but that's due to the animation speed on the interface, easily modded
- Screen beats the **** out of the One S
- It's not that big. This was a revelation to me!
- I'm sorry to say, but out of the box, Sense 4 is way more polished. This is purely aesthetics. I'm a sucker for the new "whitish" menus on Sense 4, going into the S3 settings was like going back in time.

So what did my time with it accomplish? It pretty much reduced the chances of me getting a One S to zero. Note that it was pretty much already Zero since this processor downgrade circus trick that HTC pulled. I would have to buy it online, and would never risk getting the overclocked-last-year-version of the phone.

Now that I know a screen that size is manageable by me, I guess that when the time comes, it will be the S3 or the HOX. Honestly, if someone comes up with a S-OFF alternative to htcdev, HOX has 90% chances. If not...

Cheers

jacmeister

Jul 1, 2010
London
Got a few hands-on minutes with the S3 yesterday, didn't have a chance to properly test it off course, but it was usefull:

- Seems snappy enough, but off course it would, wouldn't it?
- Sometimes does feel "slowish", but that's due to the animation speed on the interface, easily modded
- Screen beats the **** out of the One S
- It's not that big. This was a revelation to me!
- I'm sorry to say, but out of the box, Sense 4 is way more polished. This is purely aesthetics. I'm a sucker for the new "whitish" menus on Sense 4, going into the S3 settings was like going back in time.

So what did my time with it accomplish? It pretty much reduced the chances of me getting a One S to zero. Note that it was pretty much already Zero since this processor downgrade circus trick that HTC pulled. I would have to buy it online, and would never risk getting the overclocked-last-year-version of the phone.

Now that I know a screen that size is manageable by me, I guess that when the time comes, it will be the S3 or the HOX. Honestly, if someone comes up with a S-OFF alternative to htcdev, HOX has 90% chances. If not...

Cheers

Agree with me entirely concerning the HOX, Im sure that S-OFF will be coming soon as i said before there is a $1900.00 bounty to the first person to do it and my friend who excels at this says told me that he is getting closer to getting it. Fingers crossed LOL :p

Agree with me entirely concerning the HOX, Im sure that S-OFF will be coming soon as i said before there is a $1900.00 bounty to the first person to do it and my friend who excels at this says told me that he is getting closer to getting it. Fingers crossed LOL :p

That would indeed be something, wouldn't it. But I'm kinda sure S-Off still won't rectify the many hardware and build issues plaguing the HOX. If not for the fixed, mediocre battery and these issues, I would have gone for the One X myself, being the Sensaholic that I am (@lowveld, missing the UI from Fallout on the S3). But gambling away that kind of money isn't something i'd do lightly, hence the S3.

The other BIG reason is the ambiguous warranty policy regarding unlocking bootloaders via HTCDev. That would have solved the many software issues in a jiffy, but what if I developed a faulty digitizer one day? Who's to say HTC wouldn't show me the door (or the nearest ATM) quoting their famous "illegal" software modification as the reason for voided warranty, regardless of the nature of malfunction?

Two main issues, that's all. I could probably live with the fixed internal memory (25GB) I say probably because I've already used up 5 out of the 16 GBs on my GS3 internal memory - try shooting cam videos in 1080p and see how it chews up memory... but I have my old 16GB card from the DS to back me up (3.5 GB remaining) which I can always upgrade to a new 64GB one - already available (or 128GB when it is launched - as the S3 supports ExFAT)

In the end, it boils down to getting what you want...but in this particular case, the choice got sucked right out of my lungs by HTC doing what they did and avoiding what they shouldn't have.

Peace. :)

Last edited:

jacmeister

Jul 1, 2010
London
Very salient points, which is why I never kept mine.

Over time HTC will get the HOX right , the WiFi has been solved today, apparently it was a hardware issue

Once s_off arrives I can then be confident of unlocking the bootloader. Will then buy back in and get one sim free.

I still think about that screen.The screen on the HOX is the best I have ever used on any phone period.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
Yeah, I'm really bummed about that too. The worst part is, by Christmas or next MWC, everyone will find a new device, development will basically stop. I'm with this device for at least another year and a half, I don't know what I'll do without all the ROMs.....

jacmeister

Jul 1, 2010
London
The ds will still be popular as its such a great phone and lots of new people will use it as a starting point into the world of android

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
Hey guys, any of you have Tasker installed?? What can you do with it? Is it worth the price? I heard a lot about it, just wanted to know your opinions before buying.

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Hey guys, any of you have Tasker installed?? What can you do with it? Is it worth the price? I heard a lot about it, just wanted to know your opinions before buying.

Depends, it is a very mighty tool, to set profiles/tasks related to place, context,... means i.e. you can set:
when you start maps gps gets enabled and when you leave it, it gets disabled
or
you set a profile to enable wlan, put the phone to silent mode and disable mobile data when you get home and when you leave home you let it reverse the settings...

It's worth the price for my opinion, but like already said, it depends on your usage and if your willing to get used to it (it's sometimes a bit tricky to get the profile set correctly and it isn't that intuitive to handle).

Reactions: shrome99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello old friend... long time no see. Seems like yesterday.... me flashing your roms zero hour on my ds and irritating you with bug reports and requests...

And i just realized how much i've been away from this forum when i saw your recog dev title... Hearty congratulations!!

:p I'm catching it. But I'm still a skeptic towards the whole extinction of the desktop. BTW, congrats on Recognized Developer!

Yes, long overdue! Congrats LOWVELD! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys!

Enigmaamit: it's quite recent, just 2 days ago and caught me by surprise. Not only I am not nearly as active as some months ago, but the new rules for the RD status are quite stricter than before.

Anyway, I've always been recognized by those who in the end really matter: the DS community.

Cheers
    I'd like to know why that is as well. Seems similar to AMD selling the X3 which is actually an X4 with a locked core. Never understood it but to be honest I've never cared enough to understand why. This seems interesting though. I'm sure there's a valid reason though

Sent from my Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I worked on semiconductor manufacturing for a few years. That behavior is typical for increasing the wafer chip yield.

What you do at the beginning is test a batch of chips, those that meet the full specifications go to specific speed bins. There are no specific batches of higher and lower speed processors, they try them at all speeds and sell them according to what each individual can handle. It is actually much more complicated than this, it's not all about speed. By the way, this explains why not 2 chips are the same, and some handle over clocking or under volting better.

Now imagine you are testing a batch of quad core processors. There may be a lot of chips with poor performance on one core, but all other are good. You can't sell them, as the end result is a ****ty quad core processor. But lock that core, come up with a fancy name, and instead of scrapping the chip, you now get a new product with good performance at a very small added cost compared with the quad core, which you already spent money on trying to build anyway.

Depending on the manufacturing process, it can be very hard to get a decent percentage of fully working chips. For instance, the PS3 cell processor has a main core and 8 auxiliary cores (this is very simplified by me here). But all PS3 Cell processors on he market have only 7 auxiliary cores working, because it is assumed that getting a chip with all 8 working is rare, and as such, it would be too expensive trying to guarantee it. So even in those rare fully working chips, one core is turned off. This avoids fragmentation, and when developing for the PS3, you know you can only use those 7 cores.

Ok, I'm rambling now. Cheers...

Sent from an undisclosed dimension
    This thread will serve as a off-topic place for fellow Desire S users.

Instead of starting New threads, we can always ask here, and get a quick, fast answer.

Feel free to talk about anything, and we can all engage in a discussion :)

There is now an IRC channel for off topic users.

#sagaofftopic on freenode. As recommended by Shrome99, use this on your phone.

AndroIRC, - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androirc&feature=search_result

ATTENTION

Following the recent decision by xda moderators, this thread will no longer exist. To keep it simple, I have created this thread again over at the off topic forum.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2087824

Can all of you please subscribe to this thread and alert any others?

Will be much appreciated. Sad to see this thread go, after we've been through so much. Hopefully DS and Ex-DS users will still be together on the new thread.

See you guys there! :)

Oly.
    Hey all,
    We have been blessed with a baby boy today morning.
    He was born pre-term by 3 weeks.
    Both mom and son are doing great.
    :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Tapatalked from Desire S running Andromadus
    The Samsung Galaxy S3 - My Review

As most of you aquainted with me know by now, I've gone ahead and got myself Samsung's flagship for this year - the Galaxy SIII. I've had it for a week now, and I think i'm now in a position to write a small review about my experience with it. I waited a week because of two main reasons - The first is that with any new device, the excitement quotient is high, and most opinions are defensive or biased. The second is that I wanted to post a review of both the Stock setup (4 days) and the Rooted, custom ROM scene (I know my signature says Stock, Rooted...but that ship sailed a long time ago - just haven't updated it yet) - I'm currently very ROOTED and on a custom ROM, the Omega v6, running the Siyah kernel.

So here it goes :

SIZE :

While the phone initially struck me as huge and unergonomic at first look, it grew up very creepily on me within barely a day, and now I feel seriously emasculated when I try to use my Saga. Even the Sensation XE my friend gave me (to root) felt puny in my hands. Don't even get me started on how guilty I feel when I see my trusty DS staring at me with accusing eyes lying unused next to my laptop. I just can't pick up anything smaller anymore! But then I have also contemplated the Galaxy Note previously and that is really REALLY big, so this is where the size maxes out for me. 4.85 inches - no more, no less.

FORM FACTOR & BUILD QUALITY :

For a phone as big as this one, it is surprisingly easy to hold in one hand. It is very curvaceous and fits very comfortably in the hand unlike many phones with large screens (those of you who've had the misfortune of using Sony's new flagship, the Xperia S will know what I'm talking about). Do notice that I say easy to hold and not easy to use with one hand. Trying to get to the top edges of the screen is definitely a juggling task if you decide to use just one hand. Typing on swype is just manageable one-handed, but I prefer two handed tapping any day, since the portrait real estate is quite abundant.

The phone is breathtakingly slim. This is highlighted even more by the relative proportions of the depth when compared to the length and width. The photos don't do any justice to the phone and you need to hold it in person to realize just how satisfying it feels in the hand. I would like to mention the One X here - I still feel that it is a much better looking phone, and the design philosophy is completely different in these two phones, but I'll come to that in detail shortly.

Did I mention it is very light? It's a dream to hold... unlike the aluminium chassis we've come to love on our phones. That is a great material for smaller phones, but a 5inch slab has to be made as lightweight as possible, and Samsung have nailed it just right with this one.

The build quality is very good, no "cheap" feel whatsoever. No creaks, groans, etc etc. The physical home button is a boon, doubles as the power button for screen wake up purposes, so no hunting for volume rocker wake mods. Tte Power button is placed on the side, so you don't have to juggle the phone in one hand to reach the top...your thumb/index finger is already there when you're holding the phone in your right/left hand respectively. One gripe I have is that the Volume rocker is very small, and the Home physical button tactile feedback is poor.

SCREEN :

It's a 4.85inch screen
    It's a HD screen
    It's an AMOLED pentile screen.

The first two do not need any explanation and are definite no-brainers if you want to buy the phone. The third one warrants some explanation.

Coming from "LCD only" screens in the past, the AMOLED has been a revelation of sorts to me. It is a completely different screen tech and hence behaves very differently from the LCD siblings in many ways.

Colors :

1. Blacks : Blacks are much better on the AMOLED. Black means the pixels do not light up at all, hence massive battery saving. AMOLED suffers from "Black Crush" which means when the greys start getting really dark, they are are seen as just plain black on the screen. How does this affect daily use? No effect unless you're the kind that sits with a GS3 next to a HOX and compares the screens side by side.

2. Whites : No contest, hands down victory to LCD here. Whites are at best bluish or yellowish, or pinkish on AMOLED screens. Period. If you want to buy an AMOLED screen, EVER, you have to deal with it. That said, this is again apparent only when comparing the phone to an LCD screen nearby, and in itself, the whites are quite satisfoactory.

3. Colors : No contest, hands down victory to the AMOLED here. There is just no arguing that the colour depth and contrast on this screen are way better than any LCD available today. This is what has blown me away and has made me fall in love with this screen tech. There is LIFE in the screen, it is so vivid that the images relinquish the phone to a blurry background and jump up at you from the screen. It's like orgasm for the eyes.

Brightness : : To understand perception of brightness, you'll have to read a bit about the screen tech used in displays. In LCD, the pixels mix sub-pixel colors to create a certain tint, which is then made visible by LED back.edge lighting that shines white light through the LCD panel so that the colors can actually be seen. Without the assistive light, LCD screens are nearly impossible to read. AMOLED on the other hand, is made up of self illuminating sub-pixels, which means each pixel is independently capable of making itself visible without need of a separate light source. While a black pixel on an LCD is an actual black color formed by the subpixels, and is still illuminated by the backlight even when it's dark, hence never ever appearing completely black. On AMOLED however, when it need to show black color, the pixel simply turns off! This does two things - Infinite contrast ratio, and huge battery saving on black backgrounds (pixels are off).

All that mumbo jumbo aside, the SLCD2 of the HOX has a much brighter screen than the AMOLED on the SGS3 and consequently horrid battery life too (we'll get there soon). Sunlight visibility is very good on the GS3, no problem in outdoor usage - texting, viewing photos, etc. But if you want to watch an entire movie on a 4.x inch screen sitting under the sun at 1 pm, this phone is not for you.

Sensitivity : The touch is very very good. As would be expected from a phone that you're paying through your nose for. Also, anything metallic can be used as a stylus, as long as it's touching your body. I play Draw Something with pals and regularly use my car keys to sketch images on the screen (What's that? - Of course I have a screen protector!)

Screen conclusion : If you chuck all technical specs charts and graphs aside, and want my opinion in one line - "The screen is awesome." It is the best combination of colour, contrast, luminance, power efficiency and overall satisfaction that is currently available in the market. There is scope for improvement, but when is there not??

SPEED :

VERY, V.E.R.Y. fast.
    As in lightning fast.
    As in Chuck Norris six-shooter draw fast.

Fraction of a second app launches, excellent multitasking, smooth scrolling, etc etc. The UI is a dream, the browser is very snappy, though it doesn't reflow text like sense browsers do, so lets be fair there. I've always been a hard core gamer, and finally I can say I have a device that can play games like they were designed to be played. N.O.V.A. 3, Asphalt 6, Mass Effect: Infiltrator are testimonials to that.

2012-06-23%2020.03.24.png
    2012-06-23%2019.59.27.png

BATTERY LIFE :
    By far the best battery on any smartphone out there. Yes, I'm including the iPhone, the HOX, the X and the Y and even the Z. NOTHING lasts longer. I used to be scared of 3G on the DS. It was like a vampire to my battery blood, but no more. I'm on HSPA all day - never switch it off, have auto-sync always on with the same apps and sync profiles I had on the DS, and with regular use, I still have half the battery remaining at the end of the day. Even gaming does not drain the battery at the rate I expected it would. Very respectable drain. Lasts longer than my friend's 2500mAh GNote battery. Couldn't ask for more.

This in the one single thing I would have bought the phone for, even if every thing else was a little wanting...fortunately nothing is.

CONNECTIVITY :

Everything works. Have yet to try out S-Beam/ other NFC thingies.

NATIVE APPS :

Gallery : Extremely user friendly, very fast and smooth.

Video Player : Supports an astounding range of video formats. The video gallery is animated, with all video thumbnails actually looping though the entire video - looks very cool.

Pop-up Play : Meh...

S-Voice : Meh... (disabled it without using even once). Nothing near what Siri is. (I still hate Apple though - just to be clear on that)

Motion sensitive actions : Direct call, tap to top, Palm to mute, flip to mute, shake to refresh - Meh... But there are a few that I use regularly now : Touch and rotate to launch camera from lock screen, Palm swipe for screenshot (excellent)

Smart-Stay : Good idea in theory, but dodgy in practice. Basically it uses the front camera every 15-30 secs to take a photo of your mug and decides if your eyes are open and keeps the screen awake if they are. To work, the camera needs enough light to take a photo where the eyes can be seen. Always works outdoors and in bright light, and almost never works in low light. I don't think it will ever work in those conditions until they add an infrared sensor.

FM Radio : Excellent, crystal clear sound, and natively supported FM Radio recording on Stock, non-rooted ROMs!

USB OTG Support: Natively available, this is the coolest trick I have shown my colleagues. Once you use this, you will always miss it.

GPS :

Best in class. 3-5 second locks. Getting good locks (10m accuracy) even indoors. Apparently the boost is because of enhanced GLONASS support.

CAMERA :

Very good. Not a DSLR.
    Video recording is very smooth at 1080p - continuous autofocus works very well as long as you don't move the camera very vigorously. No stuttering and focus-seeking issues that plague the HOX. Flash is very powerful. Other bells and whistles like zero shutter delay etc, which I think we can attribute the the Google engineers behind ICS development. If I had to nit-pick, I'd say low light photos without flash are grainy, but that's about it. More than satisfied with the camera.

1.9 MP front camera - very crisp video on Gtalk chats. Native video calling (carrier charged) also available on phone (missed that on the DS)

Noteworthy mention : The auto face tag feature is very neat. Works as advertised. Google search please.

TOUCHWIZ :

All of you that know me are well aware of my fetish for the HTC Sense UX. When i went for the SIII, I wans't sure I'd be able to live without it. It is still much more premium looking and pleasant to look at than any UX has ever been, and that includes TouchWiz. But a couple of days of using it without any functional handicap, I've now begun to like it. I would still give an arm and a leg for Sense 4 on the GSIII, but what I'm trying to say is that the UX cannot justify the entire device, as I've learnt from the HOXgate debacle.

Sense UX
    Do I miss it? Yes.
    Is it a problem? No.

Almost everything that Sense did is now available on Touchwiz, including contact auto linking, scrolling widgets, etc. Actually the resizeable widgets are much much better than Sense on the new TouchWiz. Will post screenshots if people are interested. The one thing I do miss is the Dialer on Sense... Nothing comes close to that one.

DEVELOPMENT :

Far, far better support than HTC. Factory unlocked phone (S-On is an alien concept), no hboot nightmares, friendly warranty policy (my brother-in-law got a phone replacement on a Stock ROOTED ROM), ODIN!!, easily restorable to stock without having to be a rocket scientist. Source codes and kernel sources released by Samsung sometimes even before the device is launched, same happened with the LTE SGSIII. Some very talented kernel developers and rapidly emerging alternate non-stock based ROMs.

CONCLUSION :

If you can afford it, Buy it. Period.

Congratulations to those of you who've managed to read the lengthiest post I have ever typed. You don't have an attention deficit disorder. Those of you that felt that this was a waste of bandwidth, my sincere apologies (@shrome99, very very sorry). I took the time (considerable) to write this up because I see a lot of you hunting for new phones, and have many questions... hope this answers at least some of them, at least as far as the SGS# is concerned.

You guys have given me a lot over the past year and I sorely miss you now. So maybe this is my selfish way of luring you over to the SGS3 so we can hang out a little longer.:eek:

Happy hunting!:D