In your opinion, when looking back at this thread, how easy were the instructions?

• Total voters
Search This thread

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Root and Google Play for Amazon 8.9" Kindle Fire HD

Has anyone confirmed If this method will work in the kindle fire 8.9?

MisterSir69,

I am sorry, somehow we missed your post. Yes, all of our tutorials work on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9, including

the Google Play tutorial. The file system and general services are exactly the same as the 7" HD.

The primary difference is the chipset, having said this, you could not use the same core Operating System

across the two platforms. Usually, what application works on the 7" will work on the 8.9" with a small

number of exclusions.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Follow Up - Feedback

It's working great! Like it should be. Thanks for all your hard work with the many tutorials. Without them, I'd up the creek.

Sent from my KFHD7 using xda premium

Krsmqn,

Thank you for appreciating our work and taking the time to post feedback. Our team works hard each day

to perfect and improve the Tutorials. We spend over 14 hours each day and about 12 is devoted to XDA

Developers, answering questions, posting new tutorials, etc. This is not an easy task but it is one we have

a passion for each day. Thank you Krsmqn for the loyalty in following and posting questions in our Threads.

We hope you have a successful:good: 2013!

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Follow Up - Feedback

I'd like to second this!! The wealth of information & guides/tutorials within these forums are outstanding.

Sent from my N10 using Tapatalk HD

rivo06,

Thank you rivo06 for taking the time to post feedback in our Thread. We really appreciate the feedback, it

motivates us to continue to improve the Tutorials. The last two days has been devoted to working with

our development team on a custom ROM for the Kindle Fire HD. We are making significant progress and

should be able to release it within the next 6 months. We will post the results as we make progress in

this area. The custom ROM will be a real breakthrough on the Kindle Fire HD.:laugh:

redwes

Dec 24, 2012
redwes,
You just firmed up the decision. Factory Reset. Do you have a Factory USB Cable? If no, you need one!
You are going beyond most developers and taking risks that may Brick the Kindle. I am not saying
what you are doing is wrong, it is just on the EXTREME side of RISKY. Having said this, contact
SkOrPn via Personal Message place Factory Cable Info Please in the subject line and the number
of cables to order - include the ship to Country. Be sure you let him know we sent you, he will
ship it faster.
That's a shame, but thanks for replying. :) As it turns out, a friend of mine is actually willing to buy my precious little device for $200... $50 more then the usual price. He's aware of the problems and he's too lazy to buy a new one. Before I give it to him, however, I do want to at least attempt to fix the problems. Is there any way to factory reset without the Factory USB Cable? (..and how do you factory reset?) I'll willing to take more risks if needed and I'm going to have to wipe the personal data anyways. I also have another question concerning the future replacement I'll use the $200 on. That $200 could ether go towards the HD version of the Kindle Fire (hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes) or the Nexus 7. Does the Kindle Fire HD have any distinct advantages over the Nexus 7?

EDIT: If I do end-up selling it, I want to do everything I can to make it the best tablet ever and prevent any future problems. I want to factory reset it, properly root it, install ADW Launcher, enable ALL the Google services, and do some core modifications that won't screw-up the device (disable ads, make ADW the default launcher, and disable OTA updates). I've heard that you have images of various firmwares in various states. Would you happen to have one of the non-HD with some of what I've just mentioned?

EDIT2: I'm now resetting my device and am going to to attempt to do it all again... Wish me luck.

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD 7" Factory Reset

That's a shame, but thanks for replying. :) As it turns out, a friend of mine is actually willing to buy my precious little device for $200... $50 more then the usual price. He's aware of the problems and he's too lazy to buy a new one. Before I give it to him, however, I do want to at least attempt to fix the problems. Is there any way to factory reset without the Factory USB Cable? (..and how do you factory reset?) I'll willing to take more risks if needed and I'm going to have to wipe the personal data anyways. I also have another question concerning the future replacement I'll use the $200 on. That $200 could ether go towards the HD version of the Kindle Fire (hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes) or the Nexus 7. Does the Kindle Fire HD have any distinct advantages over the Nexus 7?

EDIT: If I do end-up selling it, I want to do everything I can to make it the best tablet ever and prevent any future problems. I want to factory reset it, properly root it, install ADW Launcher, enable ALL the Google services, and do some core modifications that won't screw-up the device (disable ads, make ADW the default launcher, and disable OTA updates). I've heard that you have images of various firmwares in various states. Would you happen to have one of the non-HD with some of what I've just mentioned?

EDIT2: I'm now resetting my device and am going to to attempt to do it all again... Wish me luck.

redwes,,

Yes, you can perform a factory reset without the Factory USB Cable. What you would do is Pull down the Status

Bar, choose More + , Device , Reset to Factory Defaults. Now resetting the device leaves the /system/app untouched

so if there are any problems that originate in the /system/apps you may carry over a problem. We do have a link to

the factory default /system/app folder here :https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/app.zip

Just download and unzip it, then move everything to /system/app changing the permissions on all the apk's to

Owner: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read. We only stock customized Kindle Fire HD 7" and 8.9" models.

Good luck redwes, I am sure you will have success.

redwes

Dec 24, 2012
redwes,,

Yes, you can perform a factory reset without the Factory USB Cable. What you would do is Pull down the Status
Bar, choose More + , Device , Reset to Factory Defaults. Now resetting the device leaves the /system/app untouched
so if there are any problems that originate in the /system/apps you may carry over a problem. We do have a link to
the factory default /system/app folder here :https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/app.zip
Just download and unzip it, then move everything to /system/app changing the permissions on all the apk's to
Owner: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read. We only stock customized Kindle Fire HD 7" and 8.9" models.
Good luck redwes, I am sure you will have success.
So... I did it and it took less then a minute to do so. My kindle booted back up in 5 seconds flat (as compared to the usual 5 minutes) and I was able to get the store back. It required moving the apks to the system folder (as compared to installing from elsewhere_, but it works. It also somehow improved everything greatly. My Google Account now synces perfectly (books and all!), root access was maintained, ADW launcher was kept, ads are still gone, and it boots so fast now. Install screens and also skips now for some reason... no more "installing... installing... installing". All my deleted files are still deleted (leaving me with no internet browser temperary... oops!) and all seems to be well. It was never this simple... but it is! My device must have been really messed up if all this occured.

MShock

Dec 16, 2011
Can't get from 3.8.17 to 3.10.10

I am having trouble going from the 3.8.17 to the 3.10.10 update. Whenever I install the 3.10.10 apk it reverts the playstore back to version 3.5.16. Getting back to 3.8.17 works fine and the store is functional. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail.

thanks

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Follow Up - Feedback

So... I did it and it took less then a minute to do so. My kindle booted back up in 5 seconds flat (as compared to the usual 5 minutes) and I was able to get the store back. It required moving the apks to the system folder (as compared to installing from elsewhere_, but it works. It also somehow improved everything greatly. My Google Account now synces perfectly (books and all!), root access was maintained, ADW launcher was kept, ads are still gone, and it boots so fast now. Install screens and also skips now for some reason... no more "installing... installing... installing". All my deleted files are still deleted (leaving me with no internet browser temperary... oops!) and all seems to be well. It was never this simple... but it is! My device must have been really messed up if all this occured.

redwes,

Great feedback redwes, I am glad to hear everything went smooth! This is why I was concerned, I really

felt your Kindle Fire was in trouble and felt you may need a USB Factory Cable. You can restore any deleted apk's

in /system/app by downloading the app folder I linked for you. Just side-load all the apk's from the app folder

into the Kindles /system/app - I'll bet your browser will work after restoring the app folder.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Play Store Upgrade 3.10.10

I am having trouble going from the 3.8.17 to the 3.10.10 update. Whenever I install the 3.10.10 apk it reverts the playstore back to version 3.5.16. Getting back to 3.8.17 works fine and the store is functional. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail.

thanks

MShock,

So, I suspect you are using Phonesky.apk to upgrade to 3.10.10 - have you performed a reboot after the upgrade?

I have attached another copy of Phonesky.apk, remeber just perform an install do not move Phonesky.apk to

/system/app - also reboot after the upgrade. If no go, go into:

1. Pull down the Upper Status bar, choose More+
2. Select Applications, then select Installed Applications
3. Scroll down until you find Google Play store, clear the Cache and Data
4. Upgrade using the attached Phonesky.apk
5. Reboot the Kindle
6. Wait for the services to start, about 3 minutes
7. Launch Google Play Store, Sign in, Agree
8. Now what is the version?

Attachments

• Phonesky.apk
    3.8 MB · Views: 38

MShock

Dec 16, 2011
MShock,

So, I suspect you are using Phonesky.apk to upgrade to 3.10.10 - have you performed a reboot after the upgrade?

I have attached another copy of Phonesky.apk, remeber just perform an install do not move Phonesky.apk to

/system/app - also reboot after the upgrade. If no go, go into:

1. Pull down the Upper Status bar, choose More+
2. Select Applications, then select Installed Applications
3. Scroll down until you find Google Play store, clear the Cache and Data
4. Upgrade using the attached Phonesky.apk
5. Reboot the Kindle
6. Wait for the services to start, about 3 minutes
7. Launch Google Play Store, Sign in, Agree
8. Now what is the version?

I'm not sure what was going on but after several reboots and reinstalls it finally stuck. All is well now and thanks for your work!

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Thanks again, done this earlier, now my Kindle has a new lease of life thanks to all these guides :)

rivo06

Jan 8, 2013
I have every faith that the finished article will be worth the wait...Keep up the good work to all developers:thumbup:

sent from my Kindle Fire HD with Tapatalk

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Hi,

I've rooted & installed the Play Store from the Noob guide's on here but just now I've done a factory reset as I wanted a clean slate so to speak, I read up before doing it so as I didn't have to root all over again etc.

Anyway all I needed to do was update the Android Market to the Play Store, I just used the latest 3.10.10 Play Store apk, everything seems to be working as it should be but should I have used the 3.8.17 & Phonesky apks to update it instead what's the difference between that an say just directly updating it from the latest Play Store apk, will I run into any issues later?

Thanks

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Play Market Upgrade 3.10.10 Requires Reboot

I'm not sure what was going on but after several reboots and reinstalls it finally stuck. All is well now and thanks for your work!

MShock,

Yes, I do not understand why it requires a reboot, maybe the Version Number is Cached somehow.

Well, anyways I am glad you were able to solve the problem. Just FYI, we just launched our Recovery

Software for the Kindle Fire HD 7", 8.9" and the Kindle Fire 2. Take a peek, let us know what you think:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Follow Up - Feedback

Thanks again, done this earlier, now my Kindle has a new lease of life thanks to all these guides :)

Gilly10,

Thank you very much for taking the time to thank our team. We are really honored to be able to help people

design the Kindle in a manor that suits each user. Now that you have the Kindle setup the way you want,

it is time to Backup the Kindle. We just launched a new Backup and Recovery package:

You can Backup without the Factory USB Cable. Backup requires the stock USB Cable that came with the

Kindle.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Follow Up - Feedback

I have every faith that the finished article will be worth the wait...Keep up the good work to all developers:thumbup:

sent from my Kindle Fire HD with Tapatalk

rivo06,

I like your Avatar, the dreaded corrupt boot recovery icon. Thank you for taking the time to post Feedback.:good:

We are glad you found our tutorials helpful. When you have time, take a peek at our new Backup Software:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Play Store - "Google play store has stopped"

Hi,

I've rooted & installed the Play Store from the Noob guide's on here but just now I've done a factory reset as I wanted a clean slate so to speak, I read up before doing it so as I didn't have to root all over again etc.

Anyway all I needed to do was update the Android Market to the Play Store, I just used the latest 3.10.10 Play Store apk, everything seems to be working as it should be but should I have used the 3.8.17 & Phonesky apks to update it instead what's the difference between that an say just directly updating it from the latest Play Store apk, will I run into any issues later?

Thanks

Gilly10,

Sometimes when you upgrade from the Android Market straight to Google Play Store 3.10.10 rather than tier the

upgrade. There are known issues that can cause the Google Play Store to 'Suddenly Stop'. Having said this, it

is much safer to tier the upgrade. So upgrade the Android Market to Google Play 3.8.17, then upgrade it to 3.10.10.

Let us know if you need anything. Be sure to backup the Kindle! We have new software that will help you keep the

Kindle Backed up: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

We know how easy it is to just say, I will backup my Kindle tomorrow, then tomorrow comes with the Android

Triangle of Death. Do not let this happen to you without a backup.

Reactions: Gilly10

rivo06

Jan 8, 2013
rivo06,

I like your Avatar, the dreaded corrupt boot recovery icon. Thank you for taking the time to post Feedback.:good:

We are glad you found our tutorials helpful. When you have time, take a peek at our new Backup Software:

Thanks The dreaded corrupt boot recovery icon is what I get when I try to boot into recovery on my sanei n10..... long story! Used the tasselhof guide to root. Tablet rebooted into another OS 4.3 I think and everything was inverted &buttons working opposite. Managed to restore to original settings via livesuit then convert language back to English. Thing is Superuser is installed but I can't boot into recovery mode. Does superuser indicate that I have root access???

pmphilp

Jun 6, 2012
google Play Store installation failure

I have successfully rooted my kindle fire hd 7". ES File Explorer has access to the entire system. I downloaded and installed the google artifacts as per the script in the forum, but when I try to bring up Google play store, it stops immediately. Any ideas?

I did move the Market Intent proxy as directed.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Superuser in Apps - Dependant on SU Binary

Thanks The dreaded corrupt boot recovery icon is what I get when I try to boot into recovery on my sanei n10..... long story! Used the tasselhof guide to root. Tablet rebooted into another OS 4.3 I think and everything was inverted &buttons working opposite. Managed to restore to original settings via livesuit then convert language back to English. Thing is Superuser is installed but I can't boot into recovery mode. Does superuser indicate that I have root access???

rivo06,

Yes, I have seen the dreaded corrupt boot recovery icon on our Nexus 10 when it updated to 4.2.1, it too is a long story, in the end we updated the firmware and upgraded the bootloader.

No, Superuser does not indicate Root. The Superuser is located in /system/app and it is dependent on the su binary in /system/xbin, so if you perform a Factory Reset, you will see Superuser in Apps since the Factory Reset leaves everything in /system/app intact and restores the /system/xbin. So having said this if you were to run Root Checker Basic, it would fail the Root Check due to the missing su binary.

Does this answer your question?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this series we will install Google Play Store to the Kindle. You will see we offer two servers to download the software the one server originates from a commercial Dropbox account and the other from a Ubuntu One commercial account, so if you are blocked by one server, you can use the other as an alternate. We publish these tutorials for you, the end user. This is how we make our living, so if you feel we did our job click on the "Donate to Me" link, if money is tight, we understand - at least take the time to post feedback, otherwise we do not know what works. We monitor the thread daily, so if you are stuck, post a detailed explanation of your problem - we respond fairly quickly.

Prerequisites:

A) Kindle Fire 7" Has been Rooted. Here is Step-by-Step Noob (Simple) Instructions

Preferred Method (Automatic Installation):

Play Step 1: Download Kindle Fire First Aide: Windows 32-bit Version Or Windows 64-bit Version

Play Step 2: Extract KFFirstAide.zip to C:\KFFirstAide - please remove the 32 or 64 at the end of the folder created by Winzip or 7-Zip

Play Step 3: With your mouse, open the C:\KFFirstAide contents by double mouse clicking the C:\KFFirstAide folder

Play Step 4: Find the RunMe.bat file. Right Hand Mouse click on RunMe.bat, select 'Send to', select Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now press the Left Hand Mouse button to create the Shortcut named RunMe.bat.

Play Step 5: Find the RunMe Shortcut on your desktop, select it by left mouse click over the icon, then while on the icon choose Right Hand mouse click, select Properties.

Play Step 6: This will display the RunMe properties. Select the General Tab, change the top name to KF First Aide. Then click on the Shortcut tab, click on Advanced. Check 'Run as Administrator', click OK, then click Apply, then click OK. All windows should be closed.

Play Step 7: Double Mouse Click the new Icon named KF First Aide. You may be presented with a security window, just click Yes.

Play Step 8: Please click on the Windows Key plus Pause/Break, this will display the Windows System Properties. Next Click on the Advanced Tab and find "Environment Variables". Please click on Environment Variables and find the Path Statement. Carefully add at the end of the Path Statement:

Code:
    ;C:\KFFirstAide

Note: Do Not forget the semi-colon before the C:\KFFirstAide

Play Step 9: That is it! The software is ready. Next we get the Kindle ready to disable OTA.

Play Step 10: Please check the Kindle under More + > Security - make sure ADB is ON. Leave it disconnected from USB.

Play Step 11: Launch Kindle Fire First Aide, if the ADB Driver is not installed, use Option 12 to Install the ADB Driver

Play Step 12: Make sure the Kindle is turned ON, plugged into the Computer USB and ready. Select Option 18 to Install Google Play Store.

Play Step 13: That is it! Google Play is Installed, you may close the software.

You may view the Kindle Fire First Aide Forum Notes here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2096888

Alternative Method (Manual Installation):

Play Step 1 Download (Dropbox Links) GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk to your Desktop

Play Step 1 Download (Ubuntu One Links) GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk to your Desktop

Play Step 2 Using Windows Explorer move GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk from your desktop to /Kindle Drive/Download.

Play Step 3 Using ES File Explorer app(Dropbox) or ES File Explorer app(Ubuntu One) open ES File Explorer on your Kindle. Go to the Setting Menu on ES File Explorer. Choose Root Settings, Select all the options here. A Superuser window will Popup, be sure to click "Allow".

Play Step 4 Now on the Kindle Fire HD use ES File Explorer to move GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk from /sdcard/Download to /system/app.

Play Step 5 Next change the permissions on GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk by long pressing each apk until you see an option window. Select Permissions and change all 3 apk permissions to Owner: Read-Write, Group: Read and Others: Read.

Play Step 6 Install all 3 apk's: GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk by clicking on each on and choose Install. Ignore any install errors.

Play Step 7 Reboot the Kindle

Play Step 8 Download Vending.apk(Dropbox) or Vending.apk(Ubuntu One)to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 9 Using ES File Explorer app on the Fire. Move Vending.apk from /sdcard/Download to /system/app. Next Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, change permissions set to Owner: Read-Write, Group: Read and Others: Read.

Play Step 10 Install Vending.apk

Play Step 11 Google Play should show up in your Kindle Fire HD Apps. Tap on it and follow the steps with sign-in and agreeing to the terms. This is an OLD Market so move on to Step 12

Play Step 12 Download Gplay3.8.17.apk(Dropbox) OR Gplay3.8.17.apk(Ubuntu One) to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 13 Using ES File Explorer, go to /sdcard/Gplay3.8.17.apk select Gplay3.8.17.apk choose Install. This will upgrade the the android market to version 3.8.17 Google Play market.

Play Step 14 Download Phonesky.apk(Dropbox) OR Phoneshy.apk(Ubuntu One) to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 15 Using ES File Explorer, go to /sdcard/Phonesky.apk select Phonesky.apk choose Install. This will upgrade the the android market to version 3.10.10 Google Play market.

Play Step 16 Finally, to eliminate Amazon from intercepting any Market requests, thus allowing Google Play to be the default Market. Using ES File Explorer move /system/app/MarketIntentProxy.apk to /sdcard/download - Reboot the Kindle

Next we will offer a How to: Install Go Launcher EX and HD Noob (Easy) Version http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069668

If you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
    http://xdaforums.com/dona....php?u=4435645
    You can install Google Play on your 2013 Kindle Fire HD but it's for window shopping only. Any attempts to download from the play store will freeze the tablet and require a reboot. Really the play store serves no real purpose on the new KFHD 7, at the moment anyway. 1mobile and f DROID are a couple spots to get apks from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the spots. I was able to use 1mobile to get a couple apps that worked such as clash of clans and freekindle and supersu. I need to try the other place then because I am unable to get a googleplay that even works, I could never get it to really open or search anything anyways. What I really want to get working is an app called Parallel Kingdom but it doesn't run when I get it through 1mobile.com; I'm a little disappointed to find out that googleplay won't work on my kindle and I hope I can get other programs to work then.
    Should I allow kindle to push updates again?

Thanks again LinearEquation, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and actually care about problems that need not concern you :D
    I think I'm in love :highfive:
    Google Apps

I think I'm in love :highfive:

Thank you for the feedback.

Next we will be offering all the updated Google Applications for your pleasure.

This is a bit more complex, so we may not have this out until tomorrow AM.
    Dropbox Upgraded

Just FYI to everyone.

We just upgraded our Dropbox Subscription to the Dropbox Team Premium with 1TB

of space and unlimited traffic.

This should eliminate Storage Server Outages.