How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

Search This thread

jcostantino

Oct 2, 2006
Sunrise, FL
My phone (which has RC29) is asking to update to 30. Should I do it or update to the RC30 that has been patched on here? It seems like there is going to be a parallel development of Google's releases with locked down security and XDA-Dev's releases with root access so I'd like to get in on the ground floor, so to speak.

kamasi36

Aug 8, 2008
Canyon Country
Well i"m no tech on this kind of stuff but i have sucessfully jailbricked my G1. Now i need a step by step instruction on how to move my web cache to sd card. Thats all i'm going to do until i see something from xda that is easy for a layman like myself to apply. I have no idea where to go from here. Please help with web cache to storage thank you. And by the way the phone is prompting me to update again i'm on rc29, will this update affect my root access. and how do i apply this access, need step by step...:confused:

zeshansphoneg2

Nov 10, 2008
USB keyboard

got root access, how can I tell what update version I have?

Also, I want to use a standard USB keyboard on this device, can any one help?:D

elite-fusion

Sep 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
well i updated the RC30 using the instructions on here in order to keep the root access....but i reboot my phone, and the 1st thing i type is telnetd, than i go to telnet app and leave "localhost" and press connect it tells me "error while connecting to server: localhost/127.0.0.1:23"....is it manditory to have a wifi connection at all times when i want to get root access?

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
well i updated the RC30 using the instructions on here in order to keep the root access....but i reboot my phone, and the 1st thing i type is telnetd, than i go to telnet app and leave "localhost" and press connect it tells me "error while connecting to server: localhost/127.0.0.1:23"....is it manditory to have a wifi connection at all times when i want to get root access?

The bug that let you type "telnetd" to start it was fixed in RC30. You can get root in the modified RC30 by opening the terminal emulator app (dl from the market), and typing "su", or by using adb shell from your computer.

elite-fusion

Sep 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
how would i know if i have root access or not? is there a command i can type in that would normally give me permission denied, compared to if i have root access it will allow me...jsut so that i know if i have root access or not

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
how would i know if i have root access or not? is there a command i can type in that would normally give me permission denied, compared to if i have root access it will allow me...jsut so that i know if i have root access or not

If you are on RC19-RC29 you have root as soon as you telnet into the terminal (as per instructions in OP). A non-rooted Android (e.g. stock RC30) will fail on the mount command in the instructions above.

To test whether or not your recovery partition has been modified, type getprop ro.secure at a terminal prompt.
0 == rooted
1 == non-rooted

Last edited:

Birba

Feb 27, 2006
Hello
I installed JF's RC30 v1.2.
Now i can't get root by typing su in Terminal Emulator.
I also installed Superuser Whitelist and Shell.
With Shell i get root access.
Also the autorotation in DroidSans TweakTools doesn't work.

Can somebody tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Hello
I installed JF's RC30 v1.2.
Now i can't get root by typing su in Terminal Emulator.
I also installed Superuser Whitelist and Shell.
With Shell i get root access.
Also the autorotation in DroidSans TweakTools doesn't work.

Can somebody tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

The whole point of koush's superuser is to make it so you can't just type "su". Because if you can type su to get root access, then any application on your phone can also get root access.

Birba

Feb 27, 2006
But that works only in the app Shell. How should it work for other applications?

Dalamak

Dec 2, 2008
Newark
I've Read that is may be possible with this exploit to port WM6 to the G1,
I've got two G1's I've always liked WM, so that would be great for me, any idea if anyone is working on that?

Thanks

dorn

Dec 2, 2008
RC30 already

So, my phone already got bumped to RC30 before I found this site. Any methods out there yet to gain root access to an RC30 phone?

Dalamak

Dec 2, 2008
Newark
I'm out- replacment g1 now with RC30

Hope they break it

Good luck

WM6 on G1 , keep it alive

Last edited:

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
Yeah, search around, you can Flash it back to RC29 I think, then flash the modded RC30

Good luck

WM6 on G1 , keep it alive

Really now... lol

Explain how you flash without root
hsughnuts.gif

dorn

Dec 2, 2008
shipwrecked on RC30, any hope of rescue?

So my G1 is lost on the island of RC30. Do I have any current hope of rescue or am I just going to be hanging out with the others until a new hack is found?

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
So my G1 is lost on the island of RC30. Do I have any current hope of rescue or am I just going to be hanging out with the others until a new hack is found?

If I were you, I would take the chance of going into your T-Mobile store and saying you are having issues with connection etc. HOPEFULLY you will get a new unit and it will have RC29

Top Liked Posts