Android is "working" on Polaris | siraloP no "gnikrow" si diordnA

Search This thread

Rroet

Jul 15, 2005
The hague
Sadly enough I can't get it to work after building a kernel myself today.
Current git tree somehow doesn't even allow me to get passed haret...

Anybody else experiencing this?

Svenvdmeer

Mar 29, 2008
Rotterdam
Maybe a stupid question but what does the fact that, the first android phone is out, mean for us polaris users. Are you able to make it into a rom for the polaris or is that not possible. I have also read things about google wanting to make roms for excisting phones? Is there a big chance that the polaris will get one.

Last edited:

dcordes

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2007
Sadly enough I can't get it to work after building a kernel myself today.
Current git tree somehow doesn't even allow me to get passed haret...

Anybody else experiencing this?

I don't see any problems with polaris in the the 2.6.24 branch . did you build from the "htc-msm" branch with polaris defconfig?

bedelaitre

try the lol version works fine here

Great, can also confirm that the lol version boots. But I see that the onscreen keyboard is no longer working. Earlier we could toggle it with the camera-button. Is still seems to work, it's just not displayed. Makes it kind of hard to type :)

Now, zImage contains the boot files and kernel right? The android OS and apps is in initrd-android, right?

So next step is a new initrd-android?

dcordes

Nov 20, 2007
it's because I didn't copy the on screen keyboard code correctly yet. can somebody try the power down menu in android? try pressing the power button.

dwaradzyn

May 12, 2008
the power down? did you try turning the screen on and off? ..with the test-lol kernel

I have tested this with test-lol kernel. After pressing power button a menu showed up. I tried every option. "Turn off screen" and "Turn off radio" had no visible effect. After choosing "Turn off power" the menu stopped appearing when pressing power button.

dcordes

Nov 20, 2007
I have tested this with test-lol kernel. After pressing power button a menu showed up. I tried every option. "Turn off screen" and "Turn off radio" had no visible effect. After choosing "Turn off power" the menu stopped appearing when pressing power button.

ok thanks. btw, you asked for the 2.6.25 source. it's not in git and maybe we will wait to go 2.6.27 first. here is the 2.6.25 codebase I experiment with now: http://headfuzz.co.uk/files/android/git-diff-2.6.25-170908.diff

it's a patch against android-msm-2.6.25 from git.android.com

sorry the following might look a bit like spam but I really want it to be seen:

This is not only very stupid, but also ridiculous.

There are quite a few people who contributed in the port of the Linux Kernel to the htc kaiser and other msm7x00 hardware. (if you are new to this topic and interesting in android: google's android environment bases on Linux and thus requires the Linux Kernel to work properly on your target device) There are some who came along only to contribute a piece of information they found, some wrote one or more complete driver, some provide webspace, etc all of different background/motivation/skill. Then there are the many people (for example the users of this forum) who are eager to provide help testing the new developments, sharing their opinnions and ideas etc.

I personally am not one of the professional developers. I only know what I learned by playing with all this and some other projects. I am a big fan of Linux and was amazed by the htc-linux Kernel development, so I decided to contribute back, getting the kaiser and help porting the msm-linux kernel. I was down since day one and since then I spent a whole lot of time with this work which included boring documentation of things when we weren't able to boot yet, getting on people's nerves asking for help ;-) trying out new code, changing bits of it, etc. also keeping people informed in this forum with the techincal backgrounds. I uploaded the kernel builds to the servers of the linuxtogo organization. All that although I'm not really convinced in android because of the closed source situation. Only because I like the idea of Linux on mobile devices.

Anyway, long story short: I never asked for any money and did not make one lousy penny with this project. And this applies to all the people who I know contributed, as well.
(not counting the different "my super android on htc blog"-sites around where people make some dollars with ads.)

===>>

Now some random person comes and thinks.. "Wow, this has gained a lot of attention. Now that people are even asking where to donate, why should I not make some money with it? It won't cost me anything, just one forum post :D"

Especially when you bear in mind that some persons here in this forum, probably even you reading this post right now, are very eager to have a fully working linux kernel and android on their cell phones, such a thing like the above becomes highly ridiculous.

From a donor's point of view, why on earth do you trust a random person who spits some garbage while there are so many people who obviously have been working on this for months? You could ask them to send a few dollars. Instead you chase this ****ed up ratter person and throw your money right out of the window.
And even if that person the ratter is talking about is a skilled linux kernel developer, why would he deserve ANY money when he only takes the present work and fixes a rather trivial bit (not to get technical) in it. IF SUCH PERSON WOULD EXIST, would they not rather deserve a punch in his face instead of getting a donation of 300$?

I think so, because this is not only ****ing ignorant, but even a huge insult to all us persons who have really worked on this in the past. I don't want to express how upset I really am about this right now.

So dear donors, if you have given any money to badbrad4080 or any other mysterious persons begging for android/linux on the htckaiser/polaris/.. like him, please take it back ASAP and spend it on something useful. Because it will not speed up any development and will not honor/reward the persons who deserve it really.

Thanks for reading, Lukas.

Last edited:

Rroet

Jul 15, 2005
The hague
I don't see any problems with polaris in the the 2.6.24 branch . did you build from the "htc-msm" branch with polaris defconfig?

Ahh a polaris defconfig? I just followed the previous thread, it might be set for a kaiser then. Is there any addon package I should put into the android-kernel directory to set it specifically for polaris?