FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart

223 posts
Thanks Meter: 34
 
By qs504792, Senior Member on 26th January 2013, 06:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th October 2013, 07:32 PM |#1241  
donaldta's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 461
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

yeah yeah yeah. You do that when you're 30 pages behind! I was finally able to offer something I could speak intimately about . . .

Actually, that's what I did. When I found this thread it was 89 pages long, so I "ear marked" each post I was going to reply each using the "multi-quote" button. Once I got to the end and hit reply, I found that there was only three out of the umpteen posts that needed a response. Here is my first post in this thread to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

BTW, thanks for all you have offered in feedback for everyone else . . .

You're welcome, always glad to help.
13th October 2013, 10:42 PM |#1242  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshackdave

There are instructions and a plf for a brutal factory reset here. It worked when I gorked my head unit by installing busy box. It should work for you.

Here are the instructions for those that do not have a DevZone account:

Quote:

If you have issues using your ASTEROID Smart and you cannot access to factory reset menu, that manipulation can solve many of them:

  • Put this plf file on a USB key with a computer (as the PLF, NOT ZIP, see attachment)
  • Plug your USB key
  • Turn Off your car (and remove the car key)
  • Remove front panel and push on the hard reset button during 1s. (with a needle)
  • Move 2 fingers on the screen during 5 seconds while your turning on your car
  • The update should start
  • Put back the front panel and wait the end of update
  • Remove the file proper.plf from USB key with a computer

Attached Files
File Type: zip Asteroid_Smart_update_proper.zip - [Click for QR Code] (935 Bytes, 68 views)
13th October 2013, 11:08 PM |#1243  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO


Ah, but you're wrong. They don't have a custom install that supports Live out of the box, but you CAN buy a bluetooth add on to make it support it. I have the Bel STi-R Plus with Escort's SmartCord Direct Wire For Android. I have successfully been running Escort Live on my Parrot for months. That is until the GPS crapped out on me & Crutchfield sent me a replacement unit. I'm in the middle of resetting the Parrot because my the home key isn't working. I'll send a picture of it running when I get it all setup again. Of course, Escort Live has to be sideloaded because you can't see it in the market. Also, the configuration screen for Live is portrait only. Not unusable, but slightly annoying.

Also, I have 2 SmartRadar's in my girl's car & best friend's car I gave them for Christmas. They work fairly well & with Escort Live running, you do not even need the display unit for SmartRadar. So, a combo of SmartRadar/Parrot Smart, you've got a fairly concealed detector solution that doesn't quite cost what my STi-R+ or Passport 9500ci cost.

That & Escort Live has saved my bacon several times. One in particular was I got a notification about Active Laser ahead 0 Minutes ago, I knew it was legit. So, I slowed down, crested a hill, sure enough, State Trooper running laser. I still need a laser solution as the only place I could mount my antenna was behind the bumper, rendering laser detection moot.

I installed the Cobra iRadar S120R. At the moment I do not have it working with my Parrot but would love to. I do have it working with my iPhone.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	2323207
I am currently attempting to setup VNC so I can get the screen off my iPhone working on my Parrot, but I'd rather have the iRadar and the Parrot working together. I'm looking for solutions. Positives, the unit is completely hidden and no wires. With my iPhone it works pretty well. You don't have to pay for a yearly subscription for cameras and live updates. Negatives, it doesn't work with Android and I have not been able to get any reliable information from Cobra. I suspect they will come out with an Android version and when they do I need help getting working with my unit. I have a Porsche and had to remove the bumper to install the iRadar unit. It is now permanent. I know I'm an idiot, but every article I read said Android/IOS compatible and I got one before they even announced they were shipping. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get the right driver on my Parrot I'd greatly appreciate it.
14th October 2013, 12:06 AM |#1244  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Anyone know how to get vnc working with my iphone 5?
14th October 2013, 01:27 AM |#1245  
donaldta's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 461
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

I installed the Cobra iRadar S120R. At the moment I do not have it working with my Parrot but would love to. I do have it working with my iPhone.
Attachment 2323207
I am currently attempting to setup VNC so I can get the screen off my iPhone working on my Parrot, but I'd rather have the iRadar and the Parrot working together. I'm looking for solutions. Positives, the unit is completely hidden and no wires. With my iPhone it works pretty well. You don't have to pay for a yearly subscription for cameras and live updates. Negatives, it doesn't work with Android and I have not been able to get any reliable information from Cobra. I suspect they will come out with an Android version and when they do I need help getting working with my unit. I have a Porsche and had to remove the bumper to install the iRadar unit. It is now permanent. I know I'm an idiot, but every article I read said Android/IOS compatible and I got one before they even announced they were shipping. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get the right driver on my Parrot I'd greatly appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

Anyone know how to get vnc working with my iphone 5?

Ha! It is funny. I believe that I was the one that gave you that recommendation of using VNC. While there are plenty of instructions of how to use the VNC server on iOS that can easily be found with Google Search, I did send you a link to a video in a private message that should help. I couldn't find any instructional videos or sites for using VNC server on an iOS device and VNC client on a Android device. However, the process of connecting the two is basically the same. If you get confused, maybe try using your computer with a VNC client to connect to Veency on your iOS device since there are literally thousands of how-to instructions to do this. This should give you an idea about how to do on the Asteroid since the process is the same. Basically, you'll be using the selected VNC client to connect to the server on your iPhone 5.
14th October 2013, 02:07 AM |#1246  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

I installed the Cobra iRadar S120R. At the moment I do not have it working with my Parrot but would love to. I do have it working with my iPhone.
Attachment 2323207
I am currently attempting to setup VNC so I can get the screen off my iPhone working on my Parrot, but I'd rather have the iRadar and the Parrot working together. I'm looking for solutions. Positives, the unit is completely hidden and no wires. With my iPhone it works pretty well. You don't have to pay for a yearly subscription for cameras and live updates. Negatives, it doesn't work with Android and I have not been able to get any reliable information from Cobra. I suspect they will come out with an Android version and when they do I need help getting working with my unit. I have a Porsche and had to remove the bumper to install the iRadar unit. It is now permanent. I know I'm an idiot, but every article I read said Android/IOS compatible and I got one before they even announced they were shipping. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get the right driver on my Parrot I'd greatly appreciate it.

You drive a Porsche & STILL invested in a iRadar? Man. You get what you pay for.

I have the Bel STi-R+ & SmartCord Direct Wire for about $1050 total for a fantastic setup in my Cadillac CTS-V. You can't see anything of mine either. I just got it all working again & here's a pic of Escort Live running on my Parrot:



Before I could reliably get tethering working, I had it running on my phone, which was next to my Parrot:


Here are the controls for my detector:



There is a separate notification LED I installed near my gauges:


I too had to take off my bumper to install it:


Here is where the antenna sits:


With the bumper on:
14th October 2013, 03:32 AM |#1247  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldta

Ha! It is funny. I believe that I was the one that gave you that recommendation of using VNC. While there are plenty of instructions of how to use the VNC server on iOS that can easily be found with Google Search, I did send you a link to a video in a private message that should help. I couldn't find any instructional videos or sites for using VNC server on an iOS device and VNC client on a Android device. However, the process of connecting the two is basically the same. If you get confused, maybe try using your computer with a VNC client to connect to Veency on your iOS device since there are literally thousands of how-to instructions to do this. This should give you an idea about how to do on the Asteroid since the process is the same. Basically, you'll be using the selected VNC client to connect to the server on your iPhone 5.

Great that worked. Now how can I get it to rotate into landscape without turning my iPhone? I'm a problem child

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

You drive a Porsche & STILL invested in a iRadar? Man. You get what you pay for.

If I wanted an expensive system I wouldn't have gone with the Parrot in the first place. I'm a techy and like the challenge of doing it myself. I like the fact that with the Parrot we can continue to enhance our systems through add-on's. I'm not racing around (although I could) and didn't want to spend $3,000 grand for the traditional stealth. I thought $250 for a product that will work with my Parrot, now that's worth a try. And I do have it working on my iPhone and now have vnc working (thanks donaldta for all your help). Really I all I need right now is for the sound from iPhone cobra app to come through my car speakers, I don't actually need the screen on the Parrot screen as I have it on my iPhone which actually is nice because it leaves my screen free for other programs.
14th October 2013, 04:16 AM |#1248  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

If I wanted an expensive system I wouldn't have gone with the Parrot in the first place. I'm a techy and like the challenge of doing it myself. I like the fact that with the Parrot we can continue to enhance our systems through add-on's. I'm not racing around (although I could) and didn't want to spend $3,000 grand for the traditional stealth. I thought $250 for a product that will work with my Parrot, now that's worth a try. And I do have it working on my iPhone and now have vnc working (thanks donaldta for all your help). Really I all I need right now is for the sound from iPhone cobra app to come through my car speakers, I don't actually need the screen on the Parrot screen as I have it on my iPhone which actually is nice because it leaves my screen free for other programs.

Yeah, but Cobra ain't worth a crap. Go look at RadarBusters.com.

I'm techy too, love figuring everything out that I've got setup. I'm loving it. Just pay once, cry once.
14th October 2013, 11:32 PM |#1249  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsno

If I wanted an expensive system I wouldn't have gone with the Parrot in the first place. I'm a techy and like the challenge of doing it myself. I like the fact that with the Parrot we can continue to enhance our systems through add-on's. I'm not racing around (although I could) and didn't want to spend $3,000 grand for the traditional stealth. I thought $250 for a product that will work with my Parrot, now that's worth a try. And I do have it working on my iPhone and now have vnc working (thanks donaldta for all your help). Really I all I need right now is for the sound from iPhone cobra app to come through my car speakers, I don't actually need the screen on the Parrot screen as I have it on my iPhone which actually is nice because it leaves my screen free for other programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO

Yeah, but Cobra ain't worth a crap. Go look at RadarBusters.com.

I'm techy too, love figuring everything out that I've got setup. I'm loving it. Just pay once, cry once.

Excuse me, not RadarBusters, but http://www.radardetector.org/reviews/escort-live/ (same guy, but reviews on detector, sales on buster).

Quote:

Why is Escort Live! so different from Cobra’s iRadar. Well I can basically answer this in one word, performance. Cobra’s radar detector products are notorious for having low performance and poor filtering while Escort’s products are known for having high performance and great filtering. What does this mean for the driver? Well the ability to respond to alerts in sufficient time and not being bothered by a barrage of false alerts. Escort Live! also shares its information with other Escort Live! users in real time, joining you into a community of like-minded drivers who are all watching out for each other. Escort calls it “Social Media for the road” while I call it “becoming part of a community of the safest and most intelligent drivers in the world”.

Also, RadarTest.Com has a TON of great info. http://www.radartest.com/Escort_Live...bra_iRadar.asp

Quote:

To be sure, the Cobra iRadar system is $130 MSRP, including its rudimentary detector, while the least expensive Escort Live system at present—with the excellent Beltronics (BEL) Pro 300—is about double that. On the other hand, in an earlier review of this Cobra, we found its radar performance decidedly lackluster and its feature set almost nonexistent.

Price point aside, the real backstory here is the different personalities of the two firms. Cobra is a marketing-driven consumer electronics company and does not make radar detectors.

15th October 2013, 01:27 PM |#1250  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Running Sirrus XM app
Hi All,

Is anyone running Sirrus XM on the Parrot Smart? I was able to side load it and it seems to be operating well with the exception of the presentation of the client as sideways on the screen. Are there other landscaping or orientation software apps available to correct the sideways presentation?

Thanks very much,

JFarland
15th October 2013, 01:52 PM |#1251  
donaldta's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 461
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarland

Are there other landscaping or orientation software apps available to correct the sideways presentation?

There are plenty of rotation or orientation control apps on Google Play. My particular favorite is Ultimate Rotation Control because it provides a per app setting. This is important for apps that do not support a fixed landscape device because the developer didn't have the foresight to imagine that their app would be running on anything other than a phone or tablet. There are apps which will force close just because the device does not support portrait orientation or only requires for certain screens. Remember though, this is a band-aid to the root problem. You should always send a note to the developer asking for an update which allows their app to be user friendly on landscape only devices, like Android clocks, radios, televisions, etc...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes