Let's get to the bottom of kingo. (Owned)

Search This thread

krazylary

May 8, 2013
I would like to start a forensics thread.
I am a securiry auditor ( pen tester) and good at reverse engineering.

*****UPDATE******

I have owned the application decomiled the entire thing. I have all the download scripts and the actual apk is it not mktcamera it is

com.example.cameraroot-325a203119a823aad9e160e729650fbb.apk

I have given chainfire the apk it is up to him what he does.
I will send an email to kingo and and see if they want to clean up there ****. if they dont. i will release everything.

If you do not beleave me pm chainfire and ask him yourself.

I can not spend anymore time on this.

Last edited:

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Sounds interesting. Kudos to you for attempting something concrete.

If you want to do static analysis of the initial download ("android_root.exe"), see this post. The initial Kingo download is an Inno Setup self extractor that can be unpacked without running it using the InnoUnp extractor utility.

I'll see what I can do to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: krazylary

krazylary

May 8, 2013
thanks

I am trying to download the latest kingo. There site is very very slow. Looks like it is getting ddos. That is really good. It might give me a change to hit the request with session splitting, so i can get the scripts manually.

I

krazylary

May 8, 2013
can someone translate this

Getting closer to having this app owned

I need this translated thanks!

r2fe.png

MBRedline

May 7, 2013
Nice work, I am looking forward to seeing where you get with this. I rooted with kingo a little while back.

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
I have decided to not release the source code publicly. I will be giving it to the rockstars in the android world so we can have a clean root.

Thank you. It would be much preferable to having a static ARM (not PC-based) binary that needs no network access to get it's job done. Open source would be even better - even in the case of a completely static binary with no need for network access, the device owner is still "turning over their device" to that program and trusting that it is not malicious. After all, if it succeeds, it pwns the targeted device.

Although, truth be told, that just makes Sammy's job of closing off the hole that much easier, but that's the nature of the arms race.

Q about your previously posted (and now redacted) summaries - what is typical for false positive detection rates for random executables submitted to those "all in one" virus scanning services? Seems like the candidate malware identified would have shown some evident symptoms (popup ads, site redirection, etc) on folks platforms - unless it just lies dormant for a while or has been subverted itself to serve other needs (bot, etc).

What was the nature of the .xml that was being downloaded - did you have a look?

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
I'm confused, what is it particularly you are looking for in kingo? I just ripped with kingo a couple days ago. Should I be worried about anything?

I suppose you should always be worried about any advice that begins with

"hey, download this unknown executable from the internet and run it on your Virus Hosting Platform^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^BWindows Machine"

But that applies to even things like "Odin v3.09". Or "Android Phone rooting toolkits". They are also just executables, and certainly just as capable of hosting malware installed (even unknowingly) by persons that re-upload it.

But in particular, the thing that got everybody's hackles up was that it bears all the "hallmarks" of malware:

- published by an author with an inscrutable monetization strategy*
- by its intended purpose, is authored by folks skilled in software exploits (but... blackhat or whitehat)?
- uses an "attack server" architecture. (Downloads payloads off the internet in order to run to completion)
- closed source
- contacts multiple sites on the internet during setup and/or operation
- uploads to the internet information gleaned from host and target systems
- at runtime uses code obfuscation procedures that are typical of malware

What the OP is currently after is a way to replace it with something that will still root the phone, but do so in a way that seems less suspicious - for instance has no need to ever contact remote machines on the internet, and no need to even use a PC, either. But let's be honest - any time you turn your device over to a piece of software that has the objective of rooting either a remote host or the one it is running on, you are implicitly handing that device over to that software if it succeeds. If it is completely open source, and you compile it, install it, and run it yourself - after having looked through the code to judge it's safety... well, you might be able to say with confidence that "this looks pretty safe".

OTOH, doing that (open source) also makes it pretty darn easy for defenders (e.g. Samsung or Google if it is an Android kernel exploit) to patch the hole directly without doing the corresponding exploit discovery themselves.

I'm not saying that Kingo is malicious though; I really don't know. I can think of very compelling reasons why it operates exactly the way it does:

1) Rooting methods vary by device, carrier, and software release version. That means that a "universal" and static Android rooting tool with encyclopedic knowledge of all current rooting methods would have to bundle in a single download package an enormous collection of exploit vectors. Hundreds and hundreds of megabytes of stuff ... per handset. Live device detection eliminates the need for that - and the bill from the server hosting company for excessive bandwith usage.

2) Rooting methods come and go. A client-server attack method can determine immediately if something it tried succeeded or failed - on every single attempt. And collect reliable information about software release versions, model numbers, carrier in use, etc. Compare that to a piecemeal, scarce, non-uniform and unreliable method of trying to intuit that information by hand out of forum reports written by folks who many times have no computer skills at all. It's light-years better in reliability and breadth.

I was going to also say "Open Source of an attack reduces it's effectiveness", but that opens a whole can of worms, as the position one takes on that particular statement probably is the bright line dividing the white hat and black hat ethical spheres.

*hey wait a minute - isn't that everybody on XDA? :D :D

krazylary

May 8, 2013
Yes

"hey, download this unknown executable from the internet and run it on your Virus Hosting Platform^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^B^BWindows Machine"

But that applies to even things like "Odin v3.09". Or "Android Phone rooting toolkits". They are also just executables, and certainly just as capable of hosting malware installed (even unknowingly) by persons that re-upload it.

But in particular, the thing that got everybody's hackles up was that it bears all the "hallmarks" of malware:

- by its intended purpose, is authored by folks skilled in software exploits (but... blackhat or whitehat)?
- uses an "attack server" architecture. (Downloads payloads off the internet in order to run to completion)
- closed source

What the OP is currently after is a way to replace it with something that will still root the phone, but do so in a way that seems less suspicious - for instance has no need to ever contact remote machines on the internet, and no need to even use a PC, either. But let's be honest - any time you turn your device over to a piece of software that has the objective of rooting either a remote host or the one it is running on, you are implicitly handing that device over to that software if it succeeds. If it is completely open source, and you compile it, install it, and run it yourself - after having looked through the code to judge it's safety... well, you might be able to say with confidence that "this looks pretty safe".

OTOH, doing that (open source) also makes it pretty darn easy for defenders (e.g. Samsung or Google if it is an Android kernel exploit) to patch the hole directly without doing the corresponding exploit discovery themselves.

I'm not saying that Kingo is malicious though; I really don't know. I can think of very compelling reasons why it operates exactly the way it does:

1) Rooting methods vary by device, carrier, and software release version. That means that a "universal" and static Android rooting tool with encyclopedic knowledge of all current rooting methods would have to bundle in a single download package an enormous collection of exploit vectors. Hundreds and hundreds of megabytes of stuff ... per handset. Live device detection eliminates the need for that - and the bill from the server hosting company for excessive bandwith usage.

2) Rooting methods come and go. A client-server attack method can determine immediately if something it tried succeeded or failed - on every single attempt. And collect reliable information about software release versions, model numbers, carrier in use, etc. Compare that to a piecemeal, scarce, non-uniform and unreliable method of trying to intuit that information by hand out of forum reports written by folks who many times have no computer skills at all. It's light-years better in reliability and breadth.

I was going to also say "Open Source of an attack reduces it's effectiveness", but that opens a whole can of worms, as the position one takes on that particular statement probably is the bright line dividing the white hat and black hat ethical spheres.

What he said :)

I would like to add that the coders of kingo have gone above and beyond trying to hide there exploits methods and everything around it. i would do the same if i had a exclusive exploit like this... Exploits cost money if you want to use them. nothing is free nothing. They get something out of it. Or they would not return emails or update the software Would you? It sure as **** is not advertising on there site.

fyi one of the files that is download from kingos servers is called root_kit_base.sbin

Last edited:

Digital DJ

Nov 16, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 4
Thanks for the info guys, that was a well thought out Super long answerand I read it all. ..twice. It doesn't "seem"like I need to worry though. My root with kingo went well, took less than 5 minutes if I remember and my device seems better because of it. Is There anything I should keep an eye out for?

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
I'm confused, did you actually find something malicious or is that where chainfire comes in?

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
There is an .apk availkable with a closely related name and having the same md5 sig. Google is your friend. It also was on the Google market for a while until it was removed/banned. So I doubt it is much of a secret from Google.

Seems as if the same .apk is/was used by the vroot tool as well.

It's manifest indicates network connectivity privileges, so probably it shouldn't be installed/run by folks who are paranoid. Too bad it is not fully self-contained.

I suppose it could be kanged with smali/backsmali to remove privileges from the Android manifest for live evaluations, or the app's armeabi JNI lib could be reversed with IDA/Hexrays*. I would try some of this, but I am away from a dev station for a week or so.

It appears to use both the camera and some activity from the android terminal emulator (jackpal).

As far as the title of the OP is concerned, I'm not convinced that a conclusive proof of maliciousness has been obtained. Nor has it been ruled out, either.

But it sure would be far more comfortable to have a phone-only rooting app with almost no app privileges... even if that only lasts until the next release.

Reactions: mlin and lmike6453

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
There is an .apk availkable with a closely related name and having the same md5 sig. Google is your friend. It also was on the Google market for a while until it was removed/banned. So I doubt it is much of a secret from Google.

It's manifest indicates network connectivity privileges, so probably it shouldn't be installed/run by folks who are paranoid. Too bad it is not fully self-contained.

I suppose it could be kanged with smali/backsmali to remove privileges from the Android manifest for live evaluations, or the app's armeabi JNI lib could be reversed with IDA/Hexrays*. I would try some of this, but I am away from a dev station for a week or so.

It appears to use both the camera and some activity from the android terminal emulator (jackpal).

As far as the title of the OP is concerned, I'm not convinced that a conclusive proof of maliciousness has been obtained. Nor has it been ruled out, either.

But it sure would be far more comfortable to have a phone-only rooting app with almost no app privileges... even if that only lasts until the next release.

Is it possible that information is needed on a per device basis in order to implement the exploit? Thus network connectivity would be essential for a universal rooting tool?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kenneu

Mar 21, 2011
Any updates on getting to the bottom of Kingo? Perhaps your investigation maybe had "something to do with" the apparent Kingo servers being "down"....

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Any updates on getting to the bottom of Kingo? Perhaps your investigation maybe had "something to do with" the apparent Kingo servers being "down"....

Kinda wondered that myself. Nothing materially changed on the device end of things for the VZW GN3 ... and all of a sudden a bunch of new reports that Kingo no longer works on that (unchanged) device... ?

Could be mere coincidence ... or could be that Kingo didn't want folks looking under the hood... hard to know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to start a forensics thread.
    I am a securiry auditor ( pen tester) and good at reverse engineering.

*****UPDATE******

I have owned the application decomiled the entire thing. I have all the download scripts and the actual apk is it not mktcamera it is

com.example.cameraroot-325a203119a823aad9e160e729650fbb.apk

I have given chainfire the apk it is up to him what he does.
    I will send an email to kingo and and see if they want to clean up there ****. if they dont. i will release everything.

If you do not beleave me pm chainfire and ask him yourself.

I can not spend anymore time on this.
    personal

here are the programs

colasoft caspa enterprise 7
    ida pro 6.5 arm hex rays
    wireshark
    cascade pilot enterprise
    burp suite pro

just like to not have personal info exposed.. habit i guess.

Why blur out the program you are using?
    can someone translate this

Getting closer to having this app owned

I need this translated thanks!

r2fe.png
    I'm confused, what is it particularly you are looking for in kingo? I just ripped with kingo a couple days ago. Should I be worried about anything?

- closed source