5,399 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,976

By designgears, Inactive Recognized Developer on 21st July 2010, 10:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th August 2010, 09:55 PM |#491  
Flag Monroe, NC
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks, this has been a real big help I was able to bring my phone back from a really bad place. Since I could only get a "force close" I took it back to the at&t store and they finally got it back to a state that I could do something with it. Though the only thing I could do with it was make a call. I did not get 3g or even connect to a wifi.

It took me a few tried but I did get this to work and it has worked very well. I now have my phone back and I can once again pimp my phone.

28th August 2010, 10:04 PM |#492  

More
So in light of the fellow who flashed ONLY the .pit with disastrous results, anyone want to answer my question and tell me what a .pit file is? Why I need one? Or what happens if I were to just flash a .tar on pda (no pit)? I seem to remember reading you can do that, but I've been looking since last night, and wouldn't you know that somehow I can't find like explicit directions for using odin to flash to jh3.. (i've never used it.. so I only understand what it does in theory.)

Thanks guys.
28th August 2010, 10:54 PM |#493  
Flag Cedar Park, TX
Thanks Meter: 906

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtastic

So in light of the fellow who flashed ONLY the .pit with disastrous results, anyone want to answer my question and tell me what a .pit file is? Why I need one? Or what happens if I were to just flash a .tar on pda (no pit)? I seem to remember reading you can do that, but I've been looking since last night, and wouldn't you know that somehow I can't find like explicit directions for using odin to flash to jh3.. (i've never used it.. so I only understand what it does in theory.)

Thanks guys.

As I understand (and said just three or four posts ago), the pit file is responsible for partition mapping on our phones. The captivate uses the 512.pit layout (I don't know which ones use the 513.pit) and it guides the software into how the layout is when repartitioning. Most firmware releases that come with separate PDA, PHONE, and CSC files contain a 512.pit inside the PDA, but not always.

Some firmwares also come wrapped in one single .tar file (like I believe JH3 does) and I used the 512.pit with that with no problems. Basically, the 512.pit can be applied for any flash--AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND--on the captivate.
28th August 2010, 11:29 PM |#494  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaik541

As I understand (and said just three or four posts ago), the pit file is responsible for partition mapping on our phones. The captivate uses the 512.pit layout (I don't know which ones use the 513.pit) and it guides the software into how the layout is when repartitioning. Most firmware releases that come with separate PDA, PHONE, and CSC files contain a 512.pit inside the PDA, but not always.

Some firmwares also come wrapped in one single .tar file (like I believe JH3 does) and I used the 512.pit with that with no problems. Basically, the 512.pit can be applied for any flash--AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND--on the captivate.

Right, okay. I saw that post about what the pit did, but I wasn't sure if it had other responsibilities as well. I've found the 512 pit in a different odin zip.. I should be able to flash to jh3 now.. So if it comes in one tar, you just put that file under pda? Right?
29th August 2010, 12:45 AM |#495  
Flag Cedar Park, TX
Thanks Meter: 906

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtastic

Right, okay. I saw that post about what the pit did, but I wasn't sure if it had other responsibilities as well. I've found the 512 pit in a different odin zip.. I should be able to flash to jh3 now.. So if it comes in one tar, you just put that file under pda? Right?

Correct

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i897
29th August 2010, 02:08 AM |#496  
Flag lafayette
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I was having problems worked great for me. I had to disconnect it a couple times and remove the battery cause odin was hanging. last time i pulled battery for 30 seconds then put it back in volume down hit power and went instantly to d/l mode then clicked start in odin and worked great. still had all my stuff in internal storage so I used clockwork mod and restored it so I had all my programs back installed where I left off before upgrading to i9000 rom and froyo.

Thx To the guy who started thread.

also my phone was on that black screen with the phone sign and computer on it.
29th August 2010, 06:53 PM |#497  

More
ODIN3 won't recognize files
I have downloaded all three of the files that were posted, but when I click
on the PDA file for .rar, .exe or .zip ODIN doesn't recognize them. I have
tried 10 or 11 times now and still no success.

What happened to the CSC and .pit files? the first time I used this it worked
great! Now I can't get it to work at all. Any suggestions? Reload the drivers
maybe?

*EDIT*

After reading some more in this thread, I discovered that there was two different
ODIN3's. I was trying to use the ODIN3 Android +SLP (the wrong one). Found the
other one and it worked great (Thanks DG-sorry I couldn't donate more, but I'm
currently unemployed).
29th August 2010, 07:26 PM |#498  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thank you, Thank you .........
30th August 2010, 01:13 AM |#499  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
A failed ODIN flash (just hung on the filesystem I believe, wonder if it was due to a lagfix that was installed) to stock everything on my Captivate resulted in my phone being bricked. I don't have any boot animation, sound, or images. I can not get the phone into download or recovery mode, but when doing Volume Up + Power I get the below screen with orange text:

RST_STAT = 0x1
PMIC_IRQ1 = 0x80
PMIC_IRQ2 = 0x0
PMIC_IRQ3 = 0x1
PMIC_IRQ4 = 0x0
PMIC_STATUS1 = 0x80
PMIC_STATUS2 = 0x0

30th August 2010, 05:38 AM |#500  

More
ok im having some problems guys, i downloaded the drivers installed them, booted my phone in recovery mode or what ever the proper name of it is with the green android and the !, now i open odin, plug in my phone it shows up on odin, then i hit start and it either gets stuck on file anaylsis or it says fail what do i do ?
30th August 2010, 06:39 AM |#501  
Flag Delray Beach, Florida
Thanks Meter: 44

More
If i understand correctly you need to have Odin open 1st. Then enter download mode.

PS - from your description you were in download, not recovery mode. They are different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)