Get the Galaxy Note or wait for Note 2?

Search This thread

JellyXDA

Jul 29, 2010
Hi folks,

My contract expires this month and I'm thinking the Galaxy Note is for me. However, I noticed recently that Samsung are hinting at a possible october (EU) release date for the Note 2. I also noticed that there is a good chance it will look similar to the S3, a design which I really do detest, it reminds me of a bar of soap, not to mention it will mean a fair amount of waiting time. But is it really that much different to the original note in terms of power?

I've probably already answered my question here, but what are your thoughts? Anyone else thinking the same?

martcerv

Sep 21, 2010
Seeing there are no specs for a note 2 only assumptions based on the s3 at a larger size how can anyone answer your question.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Final5k

Aug 5, 2009
that we don't know really what the Note 2 will look like or anything else until samsung leaks some infos. Your decision is one of the most easy - if you are eager to get a large screen phone and don't want to wait, go for the Note but if you want the most powerful phone in the Samsung lineup, go for the S3. Personally, the large screen of the Note is worth every money especially if you browse the internet a lot but the design of the S3 is also appealing and you will certainly look cool if you own a recently released device - people will think that this person has a lot of cash to be able to afford such expensive device...haha...lol

LowDef

Nov 28, 2008
I recommend you to hold on, don't buy any Note and keep waiting for Note 4S+.

That will definitely far more advance than the GT-N7000 Note!

Sent from my GT-N7000

Reactions: richierich1212

tannykim

Jan 24, 2011
Wow are we getting GN2?
When?
What is the spec?
However, if you want to wait for GN2 you might need to wait more than a year

leafsacc

Mar 21, 2012
Wow are we getting GN2?
When?
What is the spec?
However, if you want to wait for GN2 you might need to wait more than a year

I heard Oct 2012. Sorry to be lazy to quote any source, but try googling and see.

I vote to get the S3 Korean version which is Quad Core +2GB of RAM.

Anyway, I think you can sell the S3 without much loss. The resale value should be quite strong?

JellyXDA

Jul 29, 2010
If they would bring out a note 2 that had the exact same design I'd do it, I really can't get on board with the S3 design though, hate those curves. It really is as if it was designed by their team of lawyers despite what they might say!

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
I'd get one if i were you. We don't even know for sure that there will be Note 2 - not to mention when.

Not to mention the fact that Note 2 - obviously - will be better, but Note 1 already has everything you would possibly need at the moment.

About Samsung not supporting Note anymore - no offense but that's quite "curious" opinion. We just had 4.0 update, how is that not supporting ? Ok, there are bugs and serious problems but give them time to fix them, don't expect updates after 2 weeks - this is not Apple ( 1 good thing about them i guess ).

Anyway, who cares about Samsung's support if there's CM9 ;)

"If they would bring out a note 2 that had the exact same design I'd do it, I really can't get on board with the S3 design though, hate those curves. It really is as if it was designed by their team of lawyers despite what they might say!"

I'm afraid Note 2 might share the "nature-pebblish" design of the S3...

Reactions: LowDef

shai32

May 7, 2011
It's not for everyone but what I usually do (because I am an update freak) is to buy a second hand phone for a good price. Use it until the launch of the new note. And then sell it back for about the same price.

If you do it right you can always have the last technology without spending that much money. The secret is to sell before the new model comes. And to buy after all the first hype is over. It works...

Final5k

Aug 5, 2009
I think if I would personally get the S3 then sells it when the Note2 is out. The S3 resale value will be much higher than the Note 1.

Colingajewski

Feb 22, 2012
The Note is the most useful/useable phone right now, the Note2 is just an idea still. Get a Note and swap to Note2 later.

Sent from my GT-N7000

ywnmmsb

Nov 27, 2009
Mumbai
If you are in US then you have a good 7 to 8 months with Anerican Note..Go for it...

I think I am the only one who likes the new s3 design...it feels so nice & rounded in the hand...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

shaoran_ojo

Jan 5, 2012
What about buying second-hand Note and resell it when Note2 out? That way you won't lose much money and by the mean time you'll know if the note fit you or not. :p

JellyXDA

Jul 29, 2010
I'm gonna buy the phone outright from Amazon, so if I change my mind 4 months down the line, I could just return it for the full price I paid (say it's faulty or something, or I don't like it)and then put the rest towards a note 2, couldn't I?

Johev

Aug 23, 2009
Brussels
I think Amazon does that just for 30 days :).

It would be cool though, as I did buy mine from Amazon, as the price of it new was almost the same as the second hand devices were selling on eBay (crazy).

The price of a Note now is about 430 euros, and the new Note II should start at 650-750 euros, so maybe even if the Note II was out you would have to spend almost 50% more to get one.

If you are getting it for free by staying in a contract, than it might be worth the wait, but otherwise you need to do the calculations.

For me, after I got my Note, and I am with it for just a few weeks I can say that all the news about the bricks, horrible ICS update (slow and without some nice features like the widget preview) and the lack of Samsung to acknowledge that there is a problem and that they are working on it, is making me seriously consider the return of my new toy.

The screen and size are OK for me, but the fact that SG3 is all smooth and nice and G.Note users are left with a buggy and slow OS, when most of us spent way over 450 euros (over 560 USD) on it, is making me mad. Now with the new tool from Chainfire I have discovered that my eMMC chip has the bug that Samsung doesn't want to acknowledge.

Finally the bug that prevents my Note to go into deepsleep, and consumes the battery incredibly fast for idle (about 6%/h) is just unbelievable.

Well I'm sorry for this feedback, but if Samsung does not do something soon, I'll might be searching for a cheap 2nd hand smartphone to let me by until I make my mind on what to buy.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are in US then you have a good 7 to 8 months with Anerican Note..Go for it...

I think I am the only one who likes the new s3 design...it feels so nice & rounded in the hand...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA
    I recommend you to hold on, don't buy any Note and keep waiting for Note 4S+.

That will definitely far more advance than the GT-N7000 Note!

Sent from my GT-N7000
    I'd get one if i were you. We don't even know for sure that there will be Note 2 - not to mention when.

Not to mention the fact that Note 2 - obviously - will be better, but Note 1 already has everything you would possibly need at the moment.

About Samsung not supporting Note anymore - no offense but that's quite "curious" opinion. We just had 4.0 update, how is that not supporting ? Ok, there are bugs and serious problems but give them time to fix them, don't expect updates after 2 weeks - this is not Apple ( 1 good thing about them i guess ).

Anyway, who cares about Samsung's support if there's CM9 ;)

"If they would bring out a note 2 that had the exact same design I'd do it, I really can't get on board with the S3 design though, hate those curves. It really is as if it was designed by their team of lawyers despite what they might say!"

I'm afraid Note 2 might share the "nature-pebblish" design of the S3...
    Note 2 and hope there's no fatal brickbug. I love the note, but can't stand Samsung's lack of support for an almost year old phone. S3 seems to be solid hardware so far, since note 2 is based off of it, hopefully there should be no serious hardware/software flaws. Because you're never sure with Samsung support.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium