[Q] So it's 2014...NOW should I be running an antivirus?

Search This thread

mrrobc97

Feb 22, 2011
Tucson
So we are in 2014 in case alot of you haven't noticed. I just read a report how banking apps on Android are more vulnerable that Apple's (watch-out it's gonna be Apple's new selling point), but for obvious reasons I could understand why (say FREEDOM!). Anyways...should everyone now be required to be running an antivirus in our Android devices, just like is a MUST to be running one on our Windows platform? Is it still early to worry about that? Has anyone gotten spyware, trojans, worms, or any malware in that matter in their phones so far? What your opinion fellas?

Last edited:

Luthien1

Nov 14, 2010
if you only install from playstore and from trusted parties, then no need; however, if you run bootleg apks and stuff from torrents, i would get one. Antiviruses eats battery and really have no purpose for android, if you are a safe installer. Just hit the thanks button

Reactions: mrrobc97

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
if you only install from playstore and from trusted parties, then no need; however, if you run bootleg apks and stuff from torrents, i would get one. Antiviruses eats battery and really have no purpose for android, if you are a safe installer. Just hit the thanks button

I second this answer. Of course I also download apks from the internet, but only from a developer that has it posted here on xda. If you are aware if what you are installing, then you should be OK.

Sent from the phablet of the year!

apacseven

Aug 10, 2011
Typically your biggest threats are from nefarious publishers who have earned trust on the play store, and an antivirus is going to do little to protect you.

mrrobc97

Feb 22, 2011
Tucson
And that is exactly how I feel. Just like on Windows, you have to practice common sense (sorry, there is not an app for that unfortunally), if it looks suspicious and/or if not from a known source then don't open it or install it. Also, unless is inconvenient to you, keep your data/wifi off until you need it...you will also get better battery life as a added bonus. :)

Sent from my Blutiful Note3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I second this answer. Of course I also download apks from the internet, but only from a developer that has it posted here on xda. If you are aware if what you are installing, then you should be OK.

Sent from the phablet of the year!
    Typically your biggest threats are from nefarious publishers who have earned trust on the play store, and an antivirus is going to do little to protect you.