[GPS/AGPS] REAL solution analysis thread (Jupiter Tweaks) - v006! - Froyo JI6

Search This thread

chrisryn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
How do you do a gsm reset and what do you loose(data)

Edit: sorry I'm blind I see it now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

tazman171

May 23, 2010
Spokane Valley
home.comcast.net
@CLShortFuse, I like the approach you've taken in trying to troubleshoot and solve Samsung's GPS problem. I'm a T-Mobile Vibrant user (yes, I know this is a ATT Captivate group). :)

Anyway, my GPS was horrible. It would only work when it decided to work. In many cases, I would only lock two of the weakest satellites, even though many more were visible. Also troubling was that the date/time information was completely inaccurate when I would use the GPS Test application (downloaded from the Marketplace).

Last week, I decided to apply a patch that's been circulating in the Vibrant forum: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=782242 . After applying this patch, my GPS now locks within seconds. And, more interestingly, the GPS Test app now reports the correct date / time information. So, I speculate that the fix contains more than just configuration changes.

I understand that the patch contains the GPS "fix" from a leaked, forthcoming, Vibrant ROM update. But I don't have any specific details. I would speculate that some in the Vibrant app dev forum might have more information.

Anyway, if you're not aware of this patch or some of the work in the Vibrant gorup, I thought I'd make you aware - if only for cross-pollination and information sharing. Perhaps there's something useful in that file you can leverage, or visa-versa.

I've been using these for almost 2 weeks, even posted about them in another thread, worked great for a few days and then back to normal shenanigans. I didn't flash them though, I manually copied them over and used root explorer. Maybe that has something to do with it but did that because I wasn't sure about clockwork and ext4 compatibility. LOL, version I have; Vibrant-JI2-GPSFiles.zip; isn't flashable anyway, same files though, exactly the same but for the flashing part. Just thought I would let you all know.

pillz424

Nov 11, 2008
I'm running cog 2.5.1 with your new jupiter 5 file and the gps has never worked so good. Thank you much!

nickbarbs

Jul 20, 2010
London
FYI. That "GSM Reset" command you posted not only formatted my rom, but went ahead and formatted my internal SD card. Please remove it from the post.

I've lost my roms, my titanium backup folder, and three phone numbers from girls i picked up this week, all my pictures, all the latest copies of my app data and whatsapp logs for the past 2 weeks.

I'm so upset right now. I know you're trying to help but this is just an example of how you need to know exactly what a command does before you post it on these trusted forums.

Last edited:

docflower

Jul 27, 2010
FYI. That "GSM Reset" command you posted not only formatted my rom, but went ahead and formatted my internal SD card. Please remove it from the post.

I've lost my roms, my titanium backup folder, and three phone numbers from girls i picked up this week, all my pictures, all the latest copies of my app data and whatsapp logs for the past 2 weeks.

I'm so upset right now. I know you're trying to help but this is just an example of how you need to know exactly what a command does before you post it on these trusted forums.

Sorry you lost your data. Nothing personal but this is a perfect example of when people rush into more technical type o stuff and dont bother to read the whole story before acting. Because it deffinatly states this will wipe your data. I didnt realize it would delete my stuff either but really its a part of dealing with computers in general. HAVE A BACKUP!

Back to the thread topic tho, Did it improve your GPS?

nickbarbs

Jul 20, 2010
London
Sorry you lost your data. Nothing personal but this is a perfect example of when people rush into more technical type o stuff and dont bother to read the whole story before acting. Because it deffinatly states this will wipe your data. I didnt realize it would delete my stuff either but really its a part of dealing with computers in general. HAVE A BACKUP!

I had a backup on my interal SD card, but what wasn't explicitly stated was that it will wipe out your SD card also, not JUST your data. I'm not paranoid enough to make constant backups of my SD but I had happened to make a backup of my tit.backup folder on 9/24.. still doesnt help for some missing phone numbers but its not the end of the world i guess.

On top of it all, I got no lock, stock reset with no updates but J005 and I still have problems getting a lock, in downtown london UK. Cant get better than 500 meters or one or two satellites. My Iphone 3gs finds me in about 3 seconds and locks in immediatlely.

vw671

Sep 10, 2010
California
Just to let everyone know, I'm having VERY good results with Cognition 2.1.1 and jupiter_005. So good in fact that the GPS Navigation is for the very first time actually usable. THANKS CLshortfuse!!!!!:D

Justinph5

Aug 6, 2010
Just to let everyone know, I'm having VERY good results with Cognition 2.1.1 and jupiter_005. So good in fact that the GPS Navigation is for the very first time actually usable. THANKS CLshortfuse!!!!!:D

A few days ago I put on jupiter v001, on top of Cognition 2.1.1. It worked better at locking (about half of the 8 sat's locked), but was a bit worse at tracking and the compass. I was happy with it though, and left it alone while following this thread.

Last night after a few days of not using it, I tried it again to see if there was any change after having it for a while. In my house, I got 8 satellites with all of them locked in under 10 seconds. I've shut down the phone, restarted, and still all 8 locks in 10 seconds, and tried the same this morning with the same results.

Seems like it's working better than when I first put on v001. I'm gonna take it for a 50min test drive soon, and will let y'all know how it goes. :)

lpsi2000

Jan 16, 2004
TriState

lol:D Yeah, I was pissed too when I realized what it was doing. It is not like you got a choice after entering those numbers. If I knew entering numbers in dialer could delete my data without warning, I would have backed up phone every time I am reading to dial something. This was horrible but luckily I keep backup of the backups on my external SD. Obviously restore those backups was better than nothing but I sure wish I had more updated backup.

Now that is BS, especially when this stuff erases existing backups. That is not part of dealing with computers, it is more part of not being well informed of the steps. The first person who posted this I am sure got burned and should I have provided more detail information to warn others

I had a backup on my interal SD card, but what wasn't explicitly stated was that it will wipe out your SD card also, not JUST your data. I'm not paranoid enough to make constant backups of my SD but I had happened to make a backup of my tit.backup folder on 9/24.. still doesnt help for some missing phone numbers but its not the end of the world i guess.

My point exactly, better information would have help you and me but I guess that is what happens when you listen to a Junior Member:(

vw671

Sep 10, 2010
California
Are you now using 005? When I had 002 it locked fast but accuracy was less then desirable.

A few days ago I put on jupiter v001, on top of Cognition 2.1.1. It worked better at locking (about half of the 8 sat's locked), but was a bit worse at tracking and the compass. I was happy with it though, and left it alone while following this thread.

Last night after a few days of not using it, I tried it again to see if there was any change after having it for a while. In my house, I got 8 satellites with all of them locked in under 10 seconds. I've shut down the phone, restarted, and still all 8 locks in 10 seconds, and tried the same this morning with the same results.

Seems like it's working better than when I first put on v001. I'm gonna take it for a 50min test drive soon, and will let y'all know how it goes. :)

schtuka

Aug 18, 2009
Chicago
My point exactly, better information would have help you and me but I guess that is what happens when you listen to a Junior Member:(

I think both of you made a mistake of not being cautious due to possible lack of experience with android or forgetting that "assumption is mother of all ****ups"
Just by constantly flashing my and my colleague's MyTouch phones for past year I have learned hard way to make periodical complete backups to my comp. Both of you are upset with your own actions. The guy just opened the possibility and it was up to you to investigate it further by reading more at Android Forums before plunging in.
His intentions were good and thankfully he didn't tell you to jump of the roof to test GPS fix. Otherwise we would have 2 corpses right now according to your logic.
No offense.

tazman171

May 23, 2010
Spokane Valley
home.comcast.net
I think both of you made a mistake of not being cautious due to possible lack of experience with android or forgetting that "assumption is mother of all ****ups"
Just by constantly flashing my and my colleague's MyTouch phones for past year I have learned hard way to make periodical complete backups to my comp. Both of you are upset with your own actions. The guy just opened the possibility and it was up to you to investigate it further by reading more at Android Forums before plunging in.
His intentions were good and thankfully he didn't tell you to jump of the roof to test GPS fix. Otherwise we would have 2 corpses right now according to your logic.
No offense.

Oh no, the logic is killing my brain cells! :D

Very good point and this happening to you is usually how you learn to back up to a different card or computer.

I know it's late now, but Titanium Backup does have a "Sync to DropBox" option that is oh so easy, I use it every time before I "play around" with my phone and I can access the back up from any computer with internet access. DropBox is really great too for getting/sharing files to and from your phone.

A.VOID

Aug 10, 2010
i updated my cog 2.1.5 with the new jupiter 005.
I cleared my gps data
lock took about 3 minutes, but I was only getting 7 sats.:confused:

pillz424

Nov 11, 2008
I'm running cog 2.5.1 with your new jupiter 5 file and the gps has never worked so good. Thank you much!

As in, tracking is way better. My Tracks was almost dead on the whole time I drove around. Maps and Nav still take forever to get a lock, tried it on my way to work today. It is a dramatic improvement over how it was though. Def. on the right track to getting this perfect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Funny, how you can work with people on these forums and not really know much about the person. I'm a dude lol. Just weird having to state that :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Yeah, funny. Part of the anonymity of the Internet. Nice working with you, dude. :D

BTW...if I'm not mistaken (haven been to first page of this thread for a while), I think the Jupiter files is what started this thread. Go to first page, and do some reading there.

Also, at this point, I too don't really know what they do. I've just been willing to experiment with anything to improve the GPS.