[GPS/AGPS] REAL solution analysis thread (Jupiter Tweaks) - v006! - Froyo JI6

660 posts
Thanks Meter: 900

By CLShortFuse, Retired Recognized Developer on 22nd September 2010, 03:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th September 2010, 04:45 PM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Captivate? I've only seen agpsd in Vibrant dumps before, and it didn't seem to work on Captivate, even with the Vibrant gps libraries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

27th September 2010, 04:51 PM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thank you for this thread, CL, especially the "re-education" part. I had read about some of those concepts in various sources, but your summary is very readable, concise, and informative.

I concur with the theory that AGPS is a major cause of the problem. Mine only works acceptably in standalone mode. I also have seen the "driver reset" issue where I cannot get a lock, disable/enable the GPS, then get a lock within 5-10 seconds.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help, since the best Captivate support comes from XDA, not AT&T/Samsung. I have a Captivate running Cognition 2.1 (JH7) and also have access to my wife's Droid 2 (Froyo). Thanks again for working on this issue.

Edit: I mention the Droid 2 for comparative testing. Last night I was walking around running My Tracks simultaneously on both phones to see if both of the little blue circles included my known position.
27th September 2010, 05:06 PM |#103  
Flag NoVa
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason531

Thank you for this thread, CL, especially the "re-education" part. I had read about some of those concepts in various sources, but your summary is very readable, concise, and informative.

I concur with the theory that AGPS is a major cause of the problem. Mine only works acceptably in standalone mode. I also have seen the "driver reset" issue where I cannot get a lock, disable/enable the GPS, then get a lock within 5-10 seconds.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help, since the best Captivate support comes from XDA, not AT&T/Samsung. I have a Captivate running Cognition 2.1 (JH7) and also have access to my wife's Droid 2 (Froyo). Thanks again for working on this issue.

Edit: I mention the Droid 2 for comparative testing. Last night I was walking around running My Tracks simultaneously on both phones to see if both of the little blue circles included my known position.

Ha! and here I thought I was the only one using my wife's phone (HTC Aria) for comparison testing! The price for using her phone is steep, as she keeps on poking me and asking why I have to use her phone if mine's so much better...
27th September 2010, 05:08 PM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhelpful

Captivate? I've only seen agpsd in Vibrant dumps before, and it didn't seem to work on Captivate, even with the Vibrant gps libraries.

Wow! My bad! It's a Vibrant ROM. I've messed up with all this ROMs around LOL!

Guess I'll have to take a look again tomorrow after sleep
27th September 2010, 06:07 PM |#105  
Flag Charleston, WV
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asraiil

Ha! and here I thought I was the only one using my wife's phone (HTC Aria) for comparison testing! The price for using her phone is steep, as she keeps on poking me and asking why I have to use her phone if mine's so much better...

Lol... I have to keep my wife in the dark about my gps issues or else she will give me hell about why didn't I get the iphone.

27th September 2010, 06:37 PM |#106  
Flag Spokane Valley
Thanks Meter: 270

Donate to Me
More
It seems to be more than just AGPS, will try with flight mode. Problem is, can't use google nav in that mode.

Sent from my Captivate/Voodoo 1.6 Ext 4
27th September 2010, 06:44 PM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Has anyone tried using the Blackberry's FrqPlan from the first post:

FrqPlan="FRQ_PLAN_26MHZ_2PPM_10MHZ_100PPB"

?

I've been doing some very small testing with it, but not enough to make any conclusions. I will test it on my way home (using Jupiter v002 and the above FrqPlan).
27th September 2010, 07:33 PM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
You could always load up your route in Navigate and then turn on flight mode. I did this a while back and after Navigate loaded up the map the GPS showed where I was even though I wasn't following the route Navigate had picked out for me. I'm not sure if it would load enough map data for a long drive but for my 25-30 minute commute home it had enough of the surrounding area to be usable without additional data past the initial loading of the map.
27th September 2010, 07:54 PM |#109  
Flag $HOME / Dallas
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Does AT&T's own nav app work on this phone?
27th September 2010, 08:13 PM |#110  
Thanks Meter: 258

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorider

Does AT&T's own nav app work on this phone?

It can't perform miracles. If you GPS doesn't work well, the AT&T TeleNav will be affected as well.
27th September 2010, 08:26 PM |#111  
Flag Carmel
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by no driver

You could always load up your route in Navigate and then turn on flight mode. I did this a while back and after Navigate loaded up the map the GPS showed where I was even though I wasn't following the route Navigate had picked out for me. I'm not sure if it would load enough map data for a long drive but for my 25-30 minute commute home it had enough of the surrounding area to be usable without additional data past the initial loading of the map.

Or you can use MapDroyd from the market. It caches all maps offline then positions you using gps only. Should be good to use when testing in airplane mode.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)