Thanks Meter: 901

By CLShortFuse, Retired Recognized Developer on 22nd September 2010, 03:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th November 2010, 08:58 PM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman171

I think it's Portuguese but I don't speak it. Babel fish on the other hand does a pretty fair job of translating.

Or Google translate available on the market for our phones is good.

6th November 2010, 09:10 PM |#502  
Flag Spokane Valley
Thanks Meter: 270

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyian

Or Google translate available on the market for our phones is good.

Yeah, I really do prefer babel fish personally. Oops, I better not get off topic.
6th November 2010, 09:23 PM |#503  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyian

Thanks for this, can we get the one you mentioned that backs up the existing files please.
Maybe include a readme on how to reverse the changes.
I see the two files in the current zip under system/etc, does that mean that's where the files get pushed? I thought the files went to different places. Or maybe there's a third file mentioned at the start if this thread.

Yeah both files get pushed to system/etc/. Also before using the .zip erase the gps data in lbstestmode. Ill make a backup one later today when i get home and.post more instructions and a .zip with a readme

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
7th November 2010, 08:21 PM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 205

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytdfn

Yeah both files get pushed to system/etc/. Also before using the .zip erase the gps data in lbstestmode. Ill make a backup one later today when i get home and.post more instructions and a .zip with a readme

The OP post in this thread has 3 files, not two, to push. SETGPS.CONF is not in your setup. I wonder if maybe that should be there too.

I put all 3 on my phone yesterday and did a 100 mile round trip test. (I'm on 2.3b2), and it worked flawlessly. I was also on 4.4 version of the maps. Earlier in the day, while on 4.4 and before applying the Jupiter 6 files, I got a lot of blue circles. Last night, not once did I notice a blue circle.

Of course, this GPS stuff on the Captivate is so flaky and inconsistent, this one test is not anything definitive.

I'm interested in seeing what FarOutGalaxyS's experience turns up for him (or her, whatever the case).

I am fairly convinced that the jupiter changes do help.
7th November 2010, 09:26 PM |#505  
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingr

The OP post in this thread has 3 files, not two, to push. SETGPS.CONF is not in your setup. I wonder if maybe that should be there too.

I put all 3 on my phone yesterday and did a 100 mile round trip test. (I'm on 2.3b2), and it worked flawlessly. I was also on 4.4 version of the maps. Earlier in the day, while on 4.4 and before applying the Jupiter 6 files, I got a lot of blue circles. Last night, not once did I notice a blue circle.

Of course, this GPS stuff on the Captivate is so flaky and inconsistent, this one test is not anything definitive.

I'm interested in seeing what FarOutGalaxyS's experience turns up for him (or her, whatever the case).

Secgps.conf deals with lbstestmode. Thats why its in the /data section. Lbs settings dont affect the whole system....thats based on my testing

7th November 2010, 09:29 PM |#506  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
OK, so I installed Gmaps 4.4 on Cog 2.3b3 and did experience better performance than the same rom using Gmaps 4.6. So for me, GPS accuracy/tracking works best on Gmaps 4.4 no matter which rom I use. The difference is the drifting when changing speed or direction that seems to have been introduced with Gmaps 4.5 and up.

I still get blue circles but have not been put on the wrong road during a drive in town this morning. Besides the Gmaps version issue (drift), I do think that the GPS error has improved with these roms based on the latest 2.2 leaks. I am averaging a 10 to 15 meter error on cog 2.3b2/b3 compared to averaging 15 to 25 meter error on older versions of cog or sheps roms. Although I can't believe I'm writing this, the rate of improvement on these latest roms (quicker locks and lower accuracy errors) makes me believe that it is possible to have a decent GPS on this phone. I may try the files posted above once I read up on Jupiter files and what they do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
7th November 2010, 09:33 PM |#507  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingr

Funny, how you can work with people on these forums and not really know much about the person. I'm a dude lol. Just weird having to state that :)

7th November 2010, 11:44 PM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 205

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutGalaxyS

Funny, how you can work with people on these forums and not really know much about the person. I'm a dude lol. Just weird having to state that :)

Yeah, funny. Part of the anonymity of the Internet. Nice working with you, dude.

BTW...if I'm not mistaken (haven been to first page of this thread for a while), I think the Jupiter files is what started this thread. Go to first page, and do some reading there.

Also, at this point, I too don't really know what they do. I've just been willing to experiment with anything to improve the GPS.
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ewingr Ad-Free
8th November 2010, 01:47 AM |#509  
Anyone capable of ripping the GPS files from the new Vibrant JK2 FroYo build floating around? There is no dump yet per the source's request, but the files can still be ripped from the ROM, correct? Supposedly it has perfectly working GPS that is very accurate...
8th November 2010, 02:04 AM |#510  

More
Maybe you could try the method used by Tytdfn above? Not sure if those are the files that would contain the Vibrant "fix" though. I don't know anyone with a Vibrant that may be able to pull the files off.

I'm also interested in what the Vibrant roms are doing as Eugene is posting that his latest rom, based on a very recent leak, fixes the GPS (the same thing you are saying). One thing is for Samsung to blow smoke about it but another is for a guy like Eugene to put his rep on the line and make that claim. Here's to hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel.

8th November 2010, 02:20 AM |#511  
Flag New York

More
I'm gonna download the Obsidian and the R10 mods and rip the jupiter files from those. Well see how the testing goes
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)