O2 (UK) Confirm XDA Mini Pro Release (& Great Deals)

Search This thread

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
In light of O2 Germany announcing that they will be releasing the wizard as the XDA Mini S, I have just spoken to O2 (UK)'s Marketing Dept & they Officially confirmed they will be follcwing suit, with a UK release date of late October or early November, (stock & supply pemitting, (haha, hehe), they also confirmed that it will be released in the UK under the brand name of the XDA Mini Pro instead of Mini S, GET EM WHILE THERE HOT BOYS (or not, as the case may be)

Regards & Best Wishes Ash'e.

saldous

May 19, 2005
October / November. Jeez that is ages away.

I'm now looking at the Tornado (i-mate SP5) but from looking on the Expansys site where you can pre-order this it is very very expensive.

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
O2 (UK) XDA Mini S Pricing

The Price of the XDA Wizard Pro looks like its going to be £199.99-GBP or less, sounds like a good deal to me, think I will leave the Tornado or XDA Phone well alone in light of that.

Regards Ash'e

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
Actually not with an O2 Contract

Actually I need a new O2 contract, so instead of buying the I-Mate sim free version online, think I will hang on that little bit longer & get the XDA Mini Pro version of the HTC Wizard & save myself £300.00 GBP, since I need a new phone contract as I will need to make phone calls next year.

Always beer an early (wait for a good deal) adoptor, not an early, early take what ever deal I can, merely to get my hands on the latest kit first adoptor, you no I have always found what a difference a month can make when buying newly released tech.

Besides which my contact at O2 said that there is a chance that with the right contract it could even be free, (best for business 250 or above).

Oh on a foot note 02 business is offering completely free of charge GPRS access within reasonable usage limits (not more than 38 megs download a month).

All in all if you get a free Wizard and free GPRS access and some exclusive minutes every month for 18 months, sounds like a good deal to me.

Regards Ash'e

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
Its only available when you buy direct from O2 & when it is an XDA branded product & is available from the 15 of October, ethical usage does apply though.

Regards Ash'e

mikeycollins13

Aug 14, 2003
London
Are you sure that ethical usage does not apply?

So it would mean unlimited 3g? Skype calls and all? Unbelievable. Also, how do you know it is only available from the 15th vs the 3rd as o2 say? ( I spoke with o2 business today)

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
Not quite that easy

Although in theory Skype should work on GPRS, they say on the Skype site that there are problems with it, & Personally I have never managed to get it to work, usually lock in to a free WiFi Zone to use Skype.

Besides Which a Skype call on GPRS, would be highly bandwidth/megabyte intensive, which would be in contradiction of the O2 ethical usage limits.

However as to the date that is what I was told over the phone, could have moved it up my contact is one of my best mates from Oxford Uni who managed to become a director of O2 (lucky sod) but he does sometimes get his dates wrong he works in IT not marketing,

Nevertheless there is (within certain limits) free GPRS, which with a free XDA Mini Pro, & some inclusive minutes & texts I think its still a good deal and a great money saver,

Regards Ashe

mikeycollins13

Aug 14, 2003
London
Free Grprs - Data

This is the first i hear about this usage policy, but I thought the free data, whether 3g or gprs (I am getting the jasjar on an 02 contract for minutes, not data) was indeed only for o2 business users, and not the o2 35mb data only tarif (35GBp). I am confused as where the data is free.

You can have a data only business tariff, but that has a 35mb limit, besides, I don't know how you find unlimited data on o2??? (I get GPRS bills)

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
Let Me Explain

My buddy at O2 lets me know what the best deals are that are coming up, however O2 has a strict policy of not releasing any information to even its sales staff untill at max a couple of days before they become active, because if they did a lot of people would keep waiting for the better deals and this could makes there sales eratic.

As a customer they want you to take the best deal that is available at the time not what is on the cards in a months time.

O2 are trying to get there GPRS usage up and have come up with a plan to get more of there XDA business users used to using GPRS and the internet on there devices, knowing full well that once they get use to it even when the offer ends they will more than likely keep using it after experiencíng its advantages first hand.

I am just lucky that a director at O2 likes to keep me sweet because of certain aspects of my work and my long freindship with him, because of this I get the luxury of a little bit of pre-release information, thats all, believe me I always joke with him about giving me a little bit more for old times sake, I never get it though, although I do with a little bit of patience always get a good deal, he has never let me down yet, it was him that told me to hang on for the release of the XDA Mini Pro, and the unreleased release date for it, although O2 UK will corfirm that they definitely are releasing the XDA Mini Pro, my buddy just let me know when and what good deals would be attached to it.

Regards Ash'e

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
Softly, Softly Catchee Monkey.

In Light of some of the Sim Free prices I Keep seeing around this site, I think that maybe it might be worth waiting for some of the contract deal with the big providers.

Regards Ash'e

mackaby007

Sep 16, 2005
Sorry guys if this has been mentioned already, but for anyone that's missed this, what do you think of the 'magicians' successor, o2s' branded xda Atom?
Same form factor as the magician, but with WM 5.0, 128 Rom, on-board wifi, 262k QVGA screen, integrated FM Radio and a .....yes...2 megapixel camera upgrade!
I'm getting seriously confused. If we can believe these specs, it really throws a spanner in the works for me. I mean, I've pretty much decided on the Universal (just not sure on MDA Pro or o2s' Exec) but this 'Atom' thing is a serious upgrade from the old Jam and remains 'pocket friendly'. Opinions anyone...advice would be appreciated.
Anyway check this link and judge for yourselves.
read more here: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handhelds/0,39001703,39095540p,00.htm

jaythemagician

Jun 25, 2005
i don't have any "sources" but i called up 02 and they confirmed that it will be released on the 3rd and the mini s should be out by the end of the year as they have it on there system as a near future release

mackaby007

Sep 16, 2005
To jaythemagicain:
if that post of yours was in response to mine,...thanks alot! I'll need to check out both the Exec and the Atom side by side, in person, to get a clearer perspective on things.
I was seriously contemplating the MDA Pro due out hopefully end of this month,...but now, can't wait till the 3rd! What's a few more days, right?

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
The Atom is Confusing Me To:

I have to admit that all the recent news as regards the XDA Atom, is confusing me to, had almost decided on the Wizard or XDA Mini Pro as they are now calling it unlike XDA Mini S there calling it in Germany, now however, the XDA Atom slowley creeps in and confuses us all again, a few confirmed specs would be really usefull.

Even Jag at O2 has heard nothing about it yet & I don't even know if it is anything to do with HTC.

Has anyone got any updated specs to put us all out of our misery

Regards Ash'e

jaythemagician

Jun 25, 2005
It could be that it's the same sort of thing like voda and orange did when they basically made the jam but reworked it and made the vpa/spv versions.Perhaps one of the mini s's,but the keyboardless version,and reworked?

sion

Aug 31, 2005
London
www.itbloke.net
The Phantom Atom

Been searching for hours on the Internet & making lots of phone calls to everyone I know that may have any information on the Atom but to no avail, and no definative answer or information looks like we are just going to have to be patient, as I have said in other post this is almost like searching for the Holy Grail of Smartphones.

Every body loved the size of the magician, but wanted 128 Megs, WiFi & WM2005, but not to many people wanted the extra size, the slide out keyboard that caused the extra size or to have a slower CPU. Well it appears that the elusive XDA Atom fullfills all of these criteria, but is more elusive than the Holy Grail. However you can bet a pound to a dollar, that it will not reach Europe, and definatly not the UK, perhaps the operators are afraid to many people will buy them and start using Skype on WiFi, and effect there profits, it would certainly be easier to sell to the youth market because of its form factor.

Perhaps HTC should be listening to some of the comments on this forum as I reckon they could have a world beating Iconic device if they only thought about it and listened to what people are saying.

Oh well I will get down from my Soap Box now, any comments Chaps

Regards Ash'e