[Launcher] Sweeter Home Beta 2 & How to use guide [Theme]Spee Simple

Search This thread

speeee

Jul 25, 2010
Burntwood, UK
After recently having a play around with this cool new launcher i thought it may be worth sharing with everyone on here.

PLEASE NOTE: this program is still in BETA and has not yet got a market release

Sweeter home is an alternative Launcher that delivers:
- Highly customisable Docks and App Draws (text, colour, borders, ect)
- Support for all android Widgets
- 5 screens (left, right, up, down) - not yet editable
- "springboard" buttons easily show & hide Custom trays and even widgets (by far the coolest feature)
- Ability to save upload and download themes quickly from a built in market
- Ability to save themes to SD

APK is available from
http://www.sweeterhome.com/

Some screens of My x10 Running sweeter home - My theme can be downloaded under Spee_Simple

Framework - X10 res mod v1.5
Widgets used - Switchpro size 3 - Beautiful weather 1x1 - Beautiful weather 4x1 - Mixzing media player Large

leftdv.jpg

centerpe.jpg

rightz.jpg

--- How it works ---

Sweeter home is a new take on a launcher that offers high levels of customisation
the launcher will seem a little overwhelming at first but stick with it and post any questions you may have in this thread

Basically, The themes are made up of trays, these contain text and apps, these trays can be controlled to turn on/off by items called springboards,
see my above screens,

I have written down a few things ive learnt so far i hope they may be of help to you

--- A Quick Guide to making your own theme ---

1 - To create a new theme from scratch press your options key and click edit theme,
Pressing options again and clicking more will enable you to start a new theme from scratch

Now you have 5 blank screens (up, down, left, right) to add things to

2 - Either long press or click options and select "New" to see a list of objects which can be added to your screen

All Applications - a drawer of all of your applications
Calendar - Sweeterhome built in calendar that displays events
Contact list - a Scrollable box containing contacts
Current date - a Box containing the date
Current time - a Box containing the time
Custom Tray - A scrollable app draw that can hold selected apps (music, tools, games, ect)
Live Map - A live scrollable google map (that for some reason centers over chicago for me)
Picture - Select an image
Plain colour - an empty box that cannot contain apps or shortcuts, (use this as a background for buttons
Recent calls - Scrollable Recent call list
Recent SMS - Scrollable Recent SMS list (doesnt display phone numbers)
Search box - Sweeterhomes personalised search box
Springboard - A Key item on sweeter home, (see below)
System widget - Click to place a standard widget
Tagged tray - Useful trays that are controlled online via your sweeterhome account ( personally i dont use these)
Text - A Box of text

After you have selected an item E.G a text box Long press and click EDIT

In the edit screen you can change just about all the aesthetics of boxes
colour, frame, text, scroll directions ect

MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE THE TITLE and TRAY I.D to something relevant if you intend to use a springboard to control when it appears

---Using springboards---

A springboard is a button that once pressed will show / hide other trays and widgets
this is why its necessary to change the names of the boxes and widgets you create

E.G
1- create a system widget and name it (winamp)
2- exit the edit screen and place the Winamp widget on the screen by clicking the red box
3- go back to edit and create a springboard, Call this (Music)
4- long press the springboard and select the (systemwidget:winamp) to be controlled
5- Exit the edit screen

Now hopefully whenever you press your springboard box/button labeled music your winamp widget will appear/dissapear

This can be done with most of the items, note how in my screens menus and docks can appear/dissapear with the touch of a springboard

-- Layers --

As you Photoshop users will know "Layers are important"
in sweeter home this also applies
in the "EDIT" screen there will be an option "layer level", the default for this is 10
some tips:
- always keep springboards on layer 10 as then they will always be at the top and not become covered by any text/images you place over them

Last edited:

speeee

Jul 25, 2010
Burntwood, UK
what is the major advantages in comparison to LP and AWD ex?

The major advantages would be the ability to create your own docks that can be shown/hidden with a single touch
the docks can contain links icons text and other widgets,
and i think with perseverance you can create docks that can contain more buttons which in turn can open more docks
its all a little complex to , but i really do recommend having a play about with it and keeping an eye on its market release

Hi pls post apk of the power widget.

Thanx in advance

I am not able to connect my phone to the PC at the moment but the Widget is called switch pro Note as well the background for it is controlled by sweeterhome

speeee

Jul 25, 2010
Burntwood, UK
The clock is The X10's default digital clock app with the 1x1 beautiful weather widget, I've recently changed this so when you click the weather the 4x1 widget shows up underneath it (this keeps getting cooler and cooler)

my theme can be found under Spee_Simple on the themes menu

svtfmook

Aug 14, 2007
it's cool, but seriously over thought out.

customization is mind blowing, but so little tutorials and no explanations make it nearly impossible to make your own theme.

downloadable themes never work on the x10 due to our semcphonebook. so none of the shortcuts actually work.

looks cool, seems cool, great idea, but way to over whelming

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg
it's cool, but seriously over thought out.

customization is mind blowing, but so little tutorials and no explanations make it nearly impossible to make your own theme.

downloadable themes never work on the x10 due to our semcphonebook. so none of the shortcuts actually work.

looks cool, seems cool, great idea, but way to over whelming

it's very powerful when you begin to understand. Drove me crazy yesterday, but you can easily relink the shortcuts to x10 phonebook and add a lot more cool stuff. Am totally happy with it right now. It's the only homescreen where you can sort, show and hide widgets with a single button.

I actually reduced my homescreen to one screen. For example winamp, soundhound and youtube widgets simply disappear when I'm not on the "multimedia" tile ;) It's the same with contacts, messages, recent calls, facebook and so on. really great stuff! Will post pics as soon as I'm home ^^

svtfmook

Aug 14, 2007
it's very powerful when you begin to understand. Drove me crazy yesterday, but you can easily relink the shortcuts to x10 phonebook and add a lot more cool stuff. Am totally happy with it right now. It's the only homescreen where you can sort, show and hide widgets with a single button.

I actually reduced my homescreen to one screen. For example winamp, soundhound and youtube widgets simply disappear when I'm not on the "multimedia" tile ;) It's the same with contacts, messages, recent calls, facebook and so on. really great stuff! Will post pics as soon as I'm home ^^

i'm sure it's great. i know i would like it since you have so much control over the content. but i tried downloading a theme. found out that none of the shortcuts worked. so i tried modifying it. only 1 layer would show in edit mode, so i googled around to find out how to edit/create themes, nothing found. so i tried creating my own theme. after 20 minutes, i finally got 1 box created with the time and date. gave up, took way too long just to create a theme and i really didn't know what else i could/wanted to do with it.

there's such little documentation and discussion on it that it's virtually impossible for a regular user to just download it and start using it.

that's where sweeterhome's short coming is. golauncher, adw, zeam, lpp, they are all similar in a sense that they act-react the same as the stock launcer. so even if you can't find info on them, you get the gest of how to use them. sweeterhome is different, large learning curve and little documentation.

speeee

Jul 25, 2010
Burntwood, UK
I have updated the first post with a quick guide of what ive learnt so far, ill keep adding to it as i learn more, i hope it can be of some help to anyone

svtfmook - if you long press on the screen you have the option to select items that are hidden under layers (at the bottom of the longpress menu)

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg
I understand most of the basics and like my customization quite well, but I wasn't able to do one thing:

how can I create a springboard, that enables one tray and disables another one at the same time? To explain what I want to do: I want to create a big clock in the free space of my homescreen, which is on by default. But when I for example press "messages", the clock should disappear and the (transparent) message box should appear right there. Sounds quite easy but I didn't find an option to "disable on press". Is this possible?

Another thing I find quite annoying in Sweeterhome: you cannot swipe when there's an object. My screen is quite filled with springboards, which makes it difficult to change screen :mad:

Everything else is just fine, and I'm amazed that Sweeterhome doesn't lag although my homescreen is filled with widgets multiple times :D

edit: my homescreen right now:
http://img819.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=screenshot10d.png

it's pretty much a predesigned theme from the market, but all the shortcuts and springboards had to be fixed since none of them work on x10.

Last edited:

x10i DauL

Jul 17, 2010
St. Pölten
I can confirm qwer23´s statement when you want to change the screen. I really hate this. I need about 5-10 times to change screen -.-

regards

kevjef420

Oct 11, 2010
GTA
I understand most of the basics and like my customization quite well, but I wasn't able to do one thing:

how can I create a springboard, that enables one tray and disables another one at the same time? To explain what I want to do: I want to create a big clock in the free space of my homescreen, which is on by default. But when I for example press "messages", the clock should disappear and the (transparent) message box should appear right there. Sounds quite easy but I didn't find an option to "disable on press". Is this possible?

Another thing I find quite annoying in Sweeterhome: you cannot swipe when there's an object. My screen is quite filled with springboards, which makes it difficult to change screen :mad:

Everything else is just fine, and I'm amazed that Sweeterhome doesn't lag although my homescreen is filled with widgets multiple times :D

it's pretty much a predesigned theme from the market, but all the shortcuts and springboards had to be fixed since none of them work on x10.

Ok, what you ask is possible. first what you have to do is put the clock on a low layer like 1. Then make a picture on layer 2 that fills the whole screen that matches your wallpaper (or dont even use wallpaper just just full screen pictures like i do. Then in the spring boards that you are using to open your custom tray, use it also to open the picture thus covering layer 1 and making your clock disappear.

You just need to experiment. there is a lot that this home replacement can do.

For instance, you can have one spring board that opens 4 other spring boards simultaneousnessly then each one of these can control certain menus or folders and widgets. then from within each one of these you can have it so clicking each spring boards will either close all other boards or keep them open depending on the group that you lable them in.

i encourage anyone to give this home replacement more then a 20 minute try because it takes a while to figure everything out. I wish the the developer would make a tutorial on how to take full advantage this.

one word of advice. don't bother using any of the themes that you can download because they are set for other phone with other defaults and other programs and widgets and they will not work properly on your phone. just go to edit and start a new one from scratch.

it takes a while to get what you want. for example if you want a custom icon there are 2 ways to get this. first you can create a picture containing the icon you want and then create a custom drawer, exit edit mode then long press that drawer to add the icon from a list of your apps. then go back into edit mode. edit the custom drawer to lock so you can not add more apps or remove this on. then edit icon style and change icon blending to clear so it is invisable thus only showing the icon picture you added the first time. blahhhh... sounds like a lot of work. well it is.

the other way is to use desktop visualizer. create a widget with the one you want and then it is done.

be patient and give it a try. here is a theme that i created.

snap20110109_191051.png
snap20110109_120047.png
snap20110109_120004.png

first is the home screen, press the android and it opens a spring board to other spring boards with commonly used apps and widgets. second is my app drawer, this is the bottom screen. swipe up and it brings you here, back button returns to home screen. the last is the just more folders and stuff. i plan to do more but it takes time.

hope this helps anyone who is willing to give sweeter home a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: funkpod

kevjef420

Oct 11, 2010
GTA
Has anyone found a "solution" to scrool easier between screens?

regards

There isn't really anything you can do about being able to scroll on an open widget. hopefully the developer will fix this in future updates.

the only suggestion that i have is to keep a good chunk of your home screen free of anything like widgets or whatever to allow you to scroll. The other this is that the back button will always bring you to your home scree so with an open space on your home screen you can scroll to left, right, top or bottom no problem and then hit back button t return to home screen and you shouldn't have any problems.

regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After recently having a play around with this cool new launcher i thought it may be worth sharing with everyone on here.

PLEASE NOTE: this program is still in BETA and has not yet got a market release

Sweeter home is an alternative Launcher that delivers:
    - Highly customisable Docks and App Draws (text, colour, borders, ect)
    - Support for all android Widgets
    - 5 screens (left, right, up, down) - not yet editable
    - "springboard" buttons easily show & hide Custom trays and even widgets (by far the coolest feature)
    - Ability to save upload and download themes quickly from a built in market
    - Ability to save themes to SD

APK is available from

Some screens of My x10 Running sweeter home - My theme can be downloaded under Spee_Simple

Framework - X10 res mod v1.5
    Widgets used - Switchpro size 3 - Beautiful weather 1x1 - Beautiful weather 4x1 - Mixzing media player Large

leftdv.jpg

centerpe.jpg

rightz.jpg

--- How it works ---

Sweeter home is a new take on a launcher that offers high levels of customisation
    the launcher will seem a little overwhelming at first but stick with it and post any questions you may have in this thread

Basically, The themes are made up of trays, these contain text and apps, these trays can be controlled to turn on/off by items called springboards,
    see my above screens,

I have written down a few things ive learnt so far i hope they may be of help to you

--- A Quick Guide to making your own theme ---

1 - To create a new theme from scratch press your options key and click edit theme,
    Pressing options again and clicking more will enable you to start a new theme from scratch

Now you have 5 blank screens (up, down, left, right) to add things to

2 - Either long press or click options and select "New" to see a list of objects which can be added to your screen

All Applications - a drawer of all of your applications
    Calendar - Sweeterhome built in calendar that displays events
    Contact list - a Scrollable box containing contacts
    Current date - a Box containing the date
    Current time - a Box containing the time
    Custom Tray - A scrollable app draw that can hold selected apps (music, tools, games, ect)
    Live Map - A live scrollable google map (that for some reason centers over chicago for me)
    Picture - Select an image
    Plain colour - an empty box that cannot contain apps or shortcuts, (use this as a background for buttons
    Recent calls - Scrollable Recent call list
    Recent SMS - Scrollable Recent SMS list (doesnt display phone numbers)
    Search box - Sweeterhomes personalised search box
    Springboard - A Key item on sweeter home, (see below)
    System widget - Click to place a standard widget
    Tagged tray - Useful trays that are controlled online via your sweeterhome account ( personally i dont use these)
    Text - A Box of text

After you have selected an item E.G a text box Long press and click EDIT

In the edit screen you can change just about all the aesthetics of boxes
    colour, frame, text, scroll directions ect

MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE THE TITLE and TRAY I.D to something relevant if you intend to use a springboard to control when it appears

---Using springboards---

A springboard is a button that once pressed will show / hide other trays and widgets
    this is why its necessary to change the names of the boxes and widgets you create

E.G
    1- create a system widget and name it (winamp)
    2- exit the edit screen and place the Winamp widget on the screen by clicking the red box
    3- go back to edit and create a springboard, Call this (Music)
    4- long press the springboard and select the (systemwidget:winamp) to be controlled
    5- Exit the edit screen

Now hopefully whenever you press your springboard box/button labeled music your winamp widget will appear/dissapear

This can be done with most of the items, note how in my screens menus and docks can appear/dissapear with the touch of a springboard

-- Layers --

As you Photoshop users will know "Layers are important"
    in sweeter home this also applies
    in the "EDIT" screen there will be an option "layer level", the default for this is 10
    some tips:
    - always keep springboards on layer 10 as then they will always be at the top and not become covered by any text/images you place over them

Ok, what you ask is possible. first what you have to do is put the clock on a low layer like 1. Then make a picture on layer 2 that fills the whole screen that matches your wallpaper (or dont even use wallpaper just just full screen pictures like i do. Then in the spring boards that you are using to open your custom tray, use it also to open the picture thus covering layer 1 and making your clock disappear.

You just need to experiment. there is a lot that this home replacement can do.

For instance, you can have one spring board that opens 4 other spring boards simultaneousnessly then each one of these can control certain menus or folders and widgets. then from within each one of these you can have it so clicking each spring boards will either close all other boards or keep them open depending on the group that you lable them in.

i encourage anyone to give this home replacement more then a 20 minute try because it takes a while to figure everything out. I wish the the developer would make a tutorial on how to take full advantage this.

one word of advice. don't bother using any of the themes that you can download because they are set for other phone with other defaults and other programs and widgets and they will not work properly on your phone. just go to edit and start a new one from scratch.

it takes a while to get what you want. for example if you want a custom icon there are 2 ways to get this. first you can create a picture containing the icon you want and then create a custom drawer, exit edit mode then long press that drawer to add the icon from a list of your apps. then go back into edit mode. edit the custom drawer to lock so you can not add more apps or remove this on. then edit icon style and change icon blending to clear so it is invisable thus only showing the icon picture you added the first time. blahhhh... sounds like a lot of work. well it is.

the other way is to use desktop visualizer. create a widget with the one you want and then it is done.

be patient and give it a try. here is a theme that i created.

snap20110109_191051.png
    snap20110109_120047.png
    snap20110109_120004.png

first is the home screen, press the android and it opens a spring board to other spring boards with commonly used apps and widgets. second is my app drawer, this is the bottom screen. swipe up and it brings you here, back button returns to home screen. the last is the just more folders and stuff. i plan to do more but it takes time.

hope this helps anyone who is willing to give sweeter home a try.
    I'm dying here. The launcher expired and I can't find a newer one. Any way to remove the expiration? Or even better, an updated version of it?

Does anyone know of another launcher that has a plus shaped home screen layout? I can't go back to side only scrolling home screens

usually you can just download the new one here...

i see it was just updated today.

hope this helps!
    I think if you long press you can get a menu that allows you to select the bottom layer.

Sent from my Incredible.
    Aw yeah.