[Q] What ROM will get me back to stock, but not lock my bootloader.

Search This thread

Pompsy

Jul 5, 2012
So the power button on my phone is working intermittently and I took it to Bestbuy for them to replace it with my insurance. The dude there wanted to wipe and do a factory reset on my phone, because it was part of the procedure they had to do. (Why they do this, I have no idea,) This had never happened to me before, so I didn't backup my phone and flash back to stock like I usually do if I have to get a phone serviced. I told him I would back it up at home, and be back another day.

So basically what I need is a ROM for the Galaxy S3 that is as close to stock as possible so this dude can reset my phone (for no reason)? This ROM needs to be able to stand up to a little scrutiny from a Geeksquad employee.I would just flash back to stock 4.3, but that will lock my bootloader. I need a stock 4.3 ROM that doesn't lock bootloader, and will reset the "Verizon way".

flyestAC

Apr 20, 2013
Columbus
Just odining to stock won't lock your bootloader. You'd have to actually download and install the update. But if you're getting a replacement why do you care? You're not going to have the phone any longer anyway. But just as an FYI, if you do replace your phone, chances are you'll get one with the updated firmware and a locked bootloader.

Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Pompsy

Jul 5, 2012
I don't think I will get an update phone, as I had a cracked screen in mid January and received a phone on 4.1.2

I'm having of a hell time getting into download mode as well. For some reason after I go to download mode, the screen goes away after a few seconds.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
To do a factory reset the "Verizon way" you need a stock recovery. If you really want to, load cleanrom 8, then use ez-recovery to flash the stock recovery to the phone. But if you have to turn it in to get a new phone you might have to Odin back to stock anyway, and could get in trouble having a custom rom loaded.

They can do a factory reset through the stock recovery and probably won't notice you're custom, and you won't have to worry about it updating to 4.3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
Don't get a new s3. Most likely it'll come preloaded with 4.3 and you'll be stuck on TW ROMs only.

Watch, as I combine all the juice from my mind...

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
If vzw store has some of the older s3 it wnt come preloaded but will load wen u set up. So u might be lucky and get a 4.1 or 4.2 s3

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk