Kindle Fire Update

Search This thread

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Well I didn't get to mine before it installed the update. Noticed no one talked about what it actually did. Quick look shows there is more to the "more" menu now. Now in settings you also see sounds, Display, Restrictions (what is that about?), wireless network, keyboard. Think these are all new but not sure. Under device, there is now a seperate bar for app storage and internal storage. Seems like Market is not working and root is gone.

I think they renamed Security to Restrictions. They have been pressed to provide restrictions on what someone can do with the device (kids, non-owners etc)... so that would make sense.

The 6.2 version had:

Help & Feedback
My Account
Sounds
Display
Security
Applications
Date & Time
Wireless Network
Kindle Keyboard
Device
Legal Notices
Terms of Use

Hellcat6

Dec 3, 2011
Canton, OH
It also brought back the original system apps that I had deleted such as IMDb and the Facebook link. Gmail seems fine but Google Currents is completey gone! Facebook app still ok, google videos works, widget locker ok, wallpaper still set to what I want and ADW working fine.

troydog

Jan 2, 2010
Have not got the update but I think restrictions are for the cry baby parents. This was on of te things they screamed about my kid can order this with out me knowing.

So you can turn off one click ordering and such. You could do this before the update if you went ot the app and then settings but this way is to make it easy.

Reactions: YMark

Hellcat6

Dec 3, 2011
Canton, OH
I see most settings were already there, just didn't remember. Security AND restrictions are there though, and changes for sure under device. Restrictions is just off and on. When you hit on it prompts you to create a password. Not sure what it does, I don't need it in any case.

slim_thumb

Mar 19, 2011
Wife didn't get the update yet, so I quickly rooted, and renamed the OTASilentInstall.apk to .bak, rebooted, and we'll see what happens. I'm not overly confident about the hosts fix, but within the next day or so I guess we'll see which ones work. Maybe by then we'll be able to re-root in any case. :)

The reason I freeze (disabling the service of) the OTASilentInstall app instead of renaming it to .bak (the same as removing the app) is that, I had bad experience with disabling similar automatic OTA update app in my Samsung Galaxy Tab (original 7 inch version), which gave me unexpected force-closes and error messages when I use other apps or just out of the blue.

I am not saying you should not rename it to .bak and disable it, it may not give any problem in the KF because these apps are tablet-specific.

Last edited:

sl0ttedpig

Nov 18, 2011
Wisconsin
The reason I freeze (disabling the service of) the OTASilentInstall app instead of renaming it to .bak (the same as removing the app) is that, I had bad experience with disabling similar automatic OTA update app in my Samsung Galaxy Tab (original 7 inch version), which gave me unexpected force-closes and error messages when I use other apps or just out of the blue.

I am not saying you should not rename it to .bak and disable it, it may not give any problem in the KF because these apps are tablet-specific.

It's possible it could cause problems, but I'm willing to take the risk. Kindle Support have stated that to force updates you click on Sync from the settings toolbar. I did do this, after a reboot, and actually the Appstore then popped up and told me there were updates ready, so I'm thinking for now, it doesn't appear to have broken anything else (the wife doesn't do anything non-stock on hers anyway). For me, not having the app running after a reboot in any capacity seems to be possibly the safer way to prevent an OTA update. Freezing it could allow it to be unfrozen by some other process.

JackpotClavin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2011
New York
I might have a quick root method. If you can access adb is anybody able to idme bootmode? Looking for somebody who knows what I'm taking about : P

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

aerospacecase

Dec 20, 2011
Is there a copy of 6.2 floating around that could be reinstalled with TWRP or are we hosed now? I am so pissed off that I might just return it and get a new one then immediately turn off OTA updates if that is possible.

Vashypooh

Jun 29, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I do have 6.2 hosted up somewhere at the moment for my utility.

If someone has seen 6.2.1 on there device, and wants to work with me and is okay with team-viewer, i would love to try and see if I can come up with a solution.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Is there a copy of 6.2 floating around that could be reinstalled with TWRP or are we hosed now? I am so pissed off that I might just return it and get a new one then immediately turn off OTA updates if that is possible.

Did you get the 6.2.1 update?

If so, do you still have TWRP on the machine?

There are many that have the 6.2 update (including me) as protection of being able to go back to stock using TWRP, but if you lost root, I don't think that would work as I don't think TWRP would still be there.

Rebel_305

Dec 10, 2011
I am still running 6.2 and have not received any updates whatsoever. Then again, my kindle is not registered. Does that make any difference?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

movieaddict

Jul 24, 2010
So in everybody opinion? would freeze ota silent install? or rename it??? i just froze it on tb. anyone have thoughts on this........

Last edited:

hitsndc

Oct 1, 2008
I do have 6.2 hosted up somewhere at the moment for my utility.

If someone has seen 6.2.1 on there device, and wants to work with me and is okay with team-viewer, i would love to try and see if I can come up with a solution.

I have 6.2.1. Is team-viewer the remote desktop thing? If so i know about rdp and gotomypc, TV shouldnt be more than those

aerospacecase

Dec 20, 2011
Did you get the 6.2.1 update?

If so, do you still have TWRP on the machine?

There are many that have the 6.2 update (including me) as protection of being able to go back to stock using TWRP, but if you lost root, I don't think that would work as I don't think TWRP would still be there.
I got the 6.2.1 update before I put TWRP in the Kindle. I also still have Android Market installed but it hangs when it asks me to add a Google account. Is this linked to the removal of root priviledges? Message is "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server."

JackpotClavin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2011
New York
Can somebody adb shell and see if the command "idme bootmode 0x4002" gets you into fastboot?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope, it is grayed out.

You can sideload it by downloading it and placing it in the kindleupdates folder on your Kindle via a PC or downloading it to your Kindle and using a filemanager to move it into the folder. Link below:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-6.2.1_D01E_3103920.bin
    Amazon didn't do this update to break root and piss off the rooted users, it fixed security holes. Is it annoying, yes, but this is NOT a fully open Android tablet and was never advertised as such. Buying it to use for another purpose and then complaining when an update meant for 99.9% of users breaks something is a bit odd. They will get root again soon I'm sure.

Sent from my Gingervolt-ed VS910 4G using xda premium
    Excellent. Now that I have TWRP installed, can you point me at a place I can learn how to actually use it? SOme of the threads I've read assume I have a certain level of experience with this, and while I AM a quick learner. I think my first go-through will require a bit of hand-holding.

Basically I'd like to learn how to use TWRP to make the backup I am supposed to be making, and then load the file I am supposed to be loading. I expect I'll have to catch on quickly for the 6.3 update or whatever else amazon does to lock me out but for now I'd love the assist :)

Real basic...

o reboot the device.
    o when the Triangle pops up, press the power button once or twice until it turns orange. Then leave it alone.
    o when TWRP comes up, you will have a menu.
    o On the Menu, select backup..
    o On the backup screen, use the defaults (System, Data, boot, enable compression)... press Backup Now.

When the backup is done, it is done.

You can then go back to the main menu and use reboot and then System to get back to the KF system.

Loading an image is typically...

o Place the image you were told to load onto the /sdcard area
    o Boot into the Recovery like before
    o Select Load which will give you a menu of what it finds.
    o Select the image.
    o Wipe depends on what you are doing, normally the instructions will say.
    o do it...

Getting back after the reboot would be the same.
    It's a damned good thing Amazon is closing the "root" hole. I personally thought it was ridiculous my out off the box tablet was totally insecure and I couldn't trust it with my email.

I don't think it should be so easy to root. Does no one else think that was an issue? I've been turning adb off to keep my device safer in case I leave it somewhere.

You'd think a forum full of mostly tech savvy users would understand the security gaff that is shipping a device with a known flaw. Do you all install OS updates regularly?

Yes there's always going too be a way to get at the data unless it's encrypted. I for one am glad it is harder. Now hopefully we'll see an ics port soon so I can really encrypt this thing.

PS, it's fairly easy to force downgrade firmware installs by renaming an update file. Get the software you need then stop worrying about maintaining root. Enjoy the cheap tablet. if you need to tinker all day load an alternative ROM or buy an alternative tablet. This one is for email, Web browsing, reading, and shopping (it's a **** poor media player).

Thanks Amazon. Do love the device.

There are two solutions for your problem.

1. Don't leave your device anywhere (obviously)
    2. Get an app which you can controll the device from your PC (e.g. Lookout pro), using such an app, will allow you to erase all data from the device while on your pc.

You argument is invalid. Rooting should be easy. Android is open source. If want a hard to root device, get a friggin iPhone / iPad and try to jailbreak it. Android is open source and source should be open.
    @featurecreature make sure you don't connect it to wifi before you root - after root either freeze, rename or delete OTASilentInstall.apk