[MOD] Remove CarrierIQ

Search This thread

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Ah ok..those plans are monitored pretty well i believe,Id watch using to much data@tethering...just my thoughts to avoid getting red flagged in the system...

Yes, true its monitored. Although very inconsistent reports here on how they monitor or enforce. Some claim to tether lots of data without being busted, others have apparently gotten caught with very little tethering usage.

I don't use it often, usually just here and there to download/upload work email to my laptop when I'm travelling and in a location with no WiFi, or slow crappy hotel WiFi. Low volume and very infrequent, and I've been doing it for years with no issue (grandfathered unlimited data plan).

dondula

Sep 4, 2006
Can this mod be updated for the new 4.4.4 rom? Or does anyone have a manual way of removing carrier IQ for the AT&T M8? I tired following the T-Mobile guide but it is different. I found after updating my device to AT&T 4.4.4 the GPS satellite icon pops on whenever I make a phone call, send a text or surf the web. I've re-flashed my rom twice and it's still the case. I stopped the carrier IQ process and noticed that the GPS icon doesn't come on anymore. I'd love a permanent way to remove this on the newest rom if anyone has any suggestions?

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
I've been wondering this also. It appears the old method edits the framewok apk and some other system apks as well as delete some others. I think it would require someone with knowledge of editing the right apks to get this done. Hope somebody will.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Tested (on stock 4.4.4) this without adding any accounts,just a fresh flash with apps that came in ROM and cannot replicate your issue....it's an app you've installed that's accessing location,it is NOT carrieriq causing your specific issue.That process cannot just be stopped without many other things force closing. I told you anything that's requesting location can cause that issue. But what do I know...shrugs...

Can this mod be updated for the new 4.4.4 rom? Or does anyone have a manual way of removing carrier IQ for the AT&T M8? I tired following the T-Mobile guide but it is different. I found after updating my device to AT&T 4.4.4 the GPS satellite icon pops on whenever I make a phone call, send a text or surf the web. I've re-flashed my rom twice and it's still the case. I stopped the carrier IQ process and noticed that the GPS icon doesn't come on anymore. I'd love a permanent way to remove this on the newest rom if anyone has any suggestions?

Last edited:

dondula

Sep 4, 2006
I just reflashed your rom last night, and only installed my basic programs that I install on every phone I've ever had. Still saw the issue, once I stopped the Android system process the GPS icon immediately stopped and hasn't been back on all day. I just don't know what else it could be. I don't install any mods or anything weird, nor have I ever seen this issue before.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Its one of your everyday apps,fresh flash,no new apps installed here...and of course it would stop,you stopped everything@android system,even on test devices this is not an issue. Reflash,install app by app one at a time and youll find culprit....takes time but I can say with certainty ciq is NOT causing the issue your experiencing.

I just reflashed your rom last night, and only installed my basic programs that I install on every phone I've ever had. Still saw the issue, once I stopped the Android system process the GPS icon immediately stopped and hasn't been back on all day. I just don't know what else it could be. I don't install any mods or anything weird, nor have I ever seen this issue before.

brianray14

Jan 29, 2011
Bradenton
Its one of your everyday apps,fresh flash,no new apps installed here...and of course it would stop,you stopped everything@android system,even on test devices this is not an issue. Reflash,install app by app one at a time and youll find culprit....takes time but I can say with certainty ciq is NOT causing the issue your experiencing.

Idk, after updating to 4.4.4 I too had the GPS annoyance. I downloaded DisableServices from the play store and disabled IQ services. No force closes and no more problems with GPS. just my two cents

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Need some testers, got it disabled/inactive on 4.4.4 without needing to install another app...need to test to make sure is fixed with gps icon etc. pm me details if interested.

CanuckinPA

Nov 28, 2010
State College, PA
Big Problem After Flash

I need some urgent help after flashing this zip file and the stock ROM http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2752956#post59831301

When I rebooted the phone I got as far as the HTC screen and after several minutes the phone shut down. I can get back to the screen using power/Vol+, but power/Vol- won't get me back into TWRP recovery.

I apologize in advance for cross-posting this to the ROM thread, but I need to get my phone back ASAP!

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
As this is an extremely old mod,guess shouldve read that it was stated it wouldnt work on anything over 1.58 version,unless someone gets the exact files that are in this mod,and replaces them with original only option is going to be running the ruu to restore,or flashing a custom rom.

I need some urgent help after flashing this zip file and the stock ROM http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2752956#post59831301

When I rebooted the phone I got as far as the HTC screen and after several minutes the phone shut down. I can get back to the screen using power/Vol+, but power/Vol- won't get me back into TWRP recovery.

I apologize in advance for cross-posting this to the ROM thread, but I need to get my phone back ASAP!

CanuckinPA

Nov 28, 2010
State College, PA
As this is an extremely old mod,guess shouldve read that it was stated it wouldnt work on anything over 1.58 version,unless someone gets the exact files that are in this mod,and replaces them with original only option is going to be running the ruu to restore,or flashing a custom rom.

Thanks -- I admit that I missed that info.

Good news is that I was able to get into the bootloader and then restored my backup from recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a flashable zip to remove CarrierIQ from all parts of the stock AT&T rom.

You need a custom recovery in order to use this!

How to install:
    Download and place on phone
    Boot to Recovery
    Flash

If you do not have a custom recovery or want to do it manually, you'll need a kernel that disables system write protection. These are the files that are removed/modified:
    Code:
    REMOVED:
    system/app/HtcResetNotify.apk
    system/app/HtcResetNotify.odex
    system/bin/htc_ebdlogd
    system/framework/ext.odex
    system/framework/frameworkEDIAG.jar
    system/framework/frameworkEDIAG.odex
    system/framework/framework-res.odex
    system/framework/telephony-common.odex
    system/lib/libiq_client.so
    system/lib/libiq_service.so

MODIFIED:
    system/framework/ext.jar
    system/framework/framework-res.apk
    system/framework/telephony-common.jar

You can extract the three modified files from the zip.

CarrierIQ_Remover.zip
    CarrierIQ_Remover_1.58.502.1.zip (thanks to @enewman17 for the files)
    Yeah I flashed it off of the pure stock shipping rom odexed and everything. No problems yet. Just make those ever important Nandroids everyone keeps talking about. :laugh:

I'm not sure what we can do about the brightness yet, We're both new to the HTC one series. Loserskater and I were on the ATT Galaxy S3.
    But for sure we'll look into seeing what we can do.

Glad to see that you and looserskater migrated to the m8. You were one of the best teams on the gs3.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Hey loserskater,
    Would you mind telling us what you modified on the 3 files?
    So I can do it on the new base

Thanks

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52353825&postcount=18
    @enewman17 has modified the files, I'll grab them from him and make a new flashable zip... and DONE

Im trying to install the new ATT OTA and running into an error. When the process gets to Verifying current system... "/system/app/HtcResetNotify.odex" has unexpected contets. Installation aborted.

Can you post the original HtcResetNotify.odex file?

You won't be able to install the OTA update. Use the Back to Stock thread or flash a custom rom with the new firmware.
    Yeah I flashed it off of the pure stock shipping rom odexed and everything. No problems yet. Just make those ever important Nandroids everyone keeps talking about. :laugh:

I'm not sure what we can do about the brightness yet, We're both new to the HTC one series. Loserskater and I were on the ATT Galaxy S3.
    But for sure we'll look into seeing what we can do.

And good to see both of you followed me over the the HTC One
    do you have any screenshots? and has any one tested yet?

Yep!