[Q] IMEI lost ater installing a custom kernel

Search This thread

Kaen22

May 9, 2014
Hello guys i've installed merruk kernel 2.0 pre-final and my imei is blank. It don't recognize my sim card. I've made a full backup in CWM but it not worked. I want to revert ext4.zip process and install my stock kernel that i have a backup, is't possible? Will it restore my IMEI? :(

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
most likely the ril is not compatible with your baseband

I keep saying you cant use an old kernel with a new firmware baseband or you will loose imei
you can solve this by replacing the ril lib with an old baseband version
see
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52449987&postcount=232
try the hyp 8 ril - you can try others if you wish

if you want to return to stock you will have to flash stock rom via odin to convert your system from ext back to rfs
see
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2568853

you can then restore your stock nandroid backup as long as you restore it using the kernel and cwm from which it was made on

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaen22

Kaen22

May 9, 2014

I keep saying you cant use an old kernel with a new firmware baseband or you will loose imei
see

if you want to return to stock you will have to flash stock rom via odin to convert your system from ext back to rfs
see

you can then restore your stock nandroid backup as long as you restore it using the kernel and cwm from which it was made on

My current ROM is the stock rom of S5360B, how do i do it without brick my phone in this case? what other methods should i try to restore my IMEI if this method not work?

Current ROM info:

Model: GT-S5360B
Version: Android 2.3.6
Product Code: ZTO
PDA: S5360BUTME2
CSC: S5360BZTOMJ1
MODEM: S5360BUTNA1

The GT-S5360B is exactly the same phone as a normal GT-S5360. It will work without much problems (if any), and it most probably won't brick your phone. Flash the zip for your baseband as per nornal (remember to mount /system)

Any other methods? I'm not too sure, apart from using Galaxy Toolbox to check your efs partition is damaged and backing up your efs partition.

Last edited:

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
My current ROM is the stock rom of S5360B, how do i do it without brick my phone in this case? what other methods should i try to restore my IMEI if this method not work?

Current ROM info:

no difference - you can flash 5360 on a 5360b if you want to

the only difference is the B version is branded varient of the 5360

you can use any file you like from the 5360 without any problems plus if you really want the 5360b firmware to flash stock rom via odin at a later date its also on my firmware thread

Last edited:

Kaen22

May 9, 2014
Ok, I'll try to install the stock rom via odin, hope it works :). I have a doubt, I ran the ext4 converter. have i to follow this tutorial http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2007720 or can i install without re-partition?

If it not working, what ril fix file can i use for my phone?

I'll update the result here.

Last edited:

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
Ok, I'll try to install the stock rom via odin, hope it works :). I have a doubt, I ran the ext4 converter. have i to follow this tutorial http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2007720 or can i install without re-partition?

Never tick repartition in odin

all you have to do is flash pda modem and csc - DO NOT tick anything extra
your phone will convert back to rfs from ext if you flash stock rom via odiin

I posted a load of rils from different basebands in post #2 of this thread - you can use what ever one you want - ril is dependant on rom firmware and kernel being used

Kaen22

May 9, 2014

I posted a load of rils from different basebands in post #2 of this thread - you can use what ever one you want - ril is dependant on rom firmware and kernel being used

The phone doesn't recognized in download mode. It says "unknown device". I've installed Saumsung drivers and it's usb work fine but in download mode it not working. :(

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
The phone doesn't recognized in download mode. It says "unknown device". I've installed Saumsung drivers and it's usb work fine but in download mode it not working. :(

then click unknown device
update driver
select folder
select the install location of the samsung divers (normally C:\Program Files\SAMSUNG)

if its not there then you havent installed the drivers

note - you do not need drivers for mass storage mode - you only need them for adb (download mode)

Kaen22

May 9, 2014
It worked! I've installed the stock rom and my IMEI is showing and the sim card is ok. Thank you all. But i have one more question:

I don't intend to continue with stock rom and stock kernel. What should i do to prevent this error occur by installing any custom rom or custom kernel? I've heard that i have to backup the efs, but the efs folder is always blank on galaxy y.

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
It worked! I've installed the stock rom and my IMEI is showing and the sim card is ok. Thank you all. But i have one more question:

I don't intend to continue with stock rom and stock kernel. What should i do to prevent this error occur by installing any custom rom or custom kernel? I've heard that i have to backup the efs, but the efs folder is always blank on galaxy y.

the efs partition is empty on galaxy y because that partition is not mounted
you can backup your efs partition with galaxy toolbox but that wont help you with the problem you had

I keep saying its to do with the ril - you cant use an old kernel with a new firmware and vise versa
to solve this if you use an old kernel with a new firmware replace the ril lib of the new firmware with one from an old firmware

Iv even posted them

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

see

see

The GT-S5360B is exactly the same phone as a normal GT-S5360. It will work without much problems (if any), and it most probably won't brick your phone. Flash the zip for your baseband as per nornal (remember to mount /system)

Any other methods? I'm not too sure, apart from using Galaxy Toolbox to check your efs partition is damaged and backing up your efs partition.

Current ROM info:

no difference - you can flash 5360 on a 5360b if you want to

the only difference is the B version is branded varient of the 5360

you can use any file you like from the 5360 without any problems plus if you really want the 5360b firmware to flash stock rom via odin at a later date its also on my firmware thread

then click unknown device
    update driver
    select folder
    select the install location of the samsung divers (normally C:\Program Files\SAMSUNG)

if its not there then you havent installed the drivers

note - you do not need drivers for mass storage mode - you only need them for adb (download mode)