KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]HTC One (M8)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
*Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
*Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
*A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
*Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
*Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
*Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]

• Download the latest PhilZ Touch or TWRP recoveries and flash it by using fastboot commands. (It doesn't matter which recovery you use but I personally recommend TWRP.)
  • Once you've done that, reboot into recovery (using the combination in the next question) and flash the SuperSU.zip you already downloaded. Once complete, reboot and you'll be rooted.
  • Squabbi's Toolkit - If you're looking to root your phone quickly and easily this is the method for you.
*NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device if you don't know how to do it manually because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone.

*NOTE* Always be sure to double check everything you read and follow the instructions carefully.

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How can I enter bootloader mode & recovery mode?[/SIZE]
To enter bootloader mode make sure your phone is turned off. Turn it back on while holding the 'volume down' button and you will successfully enter bootloader mode.

To enter recovery mode, you will need to enter the bootloader (as detailed above) then use the 'volume down' button to navigate to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to confirm your choice. You'll now be booted into your custom recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: What is the best ROM/kernel/modem?[/SIZE]
Honestly, there is no "best". It's all based on personal choice. For example; I may like heavily customizing my ROMs whereas you may like it to look at basic as possible. The best thing you can do is to just test out different ROMs/kernels/modems and see which you prefer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What do terms like S-Off, RUU, MID etc. mean?[/SIZE]
Have a read through the following guide to better understand what these terms actually mean - [GUIDE] Everything Explained by @exad

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Can I install an OTA with a custom recovery or if I have a custom ROM/kernel?[/SIZE]
No, you can't. Don't try installing an OTA if you're using CWM, TWRP or Philz as it won't work. It will only install via the stock recovery.
You'll also need to make sure that you're on the stock ROM and stock kernel.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: I hear a lot about ADB. What is it?[/SIZE]
Find out everything you need to know by reading the following thread - ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea, especially when flashing a ROM with an updated base, because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Does this phone have good battery life?[/SIZE]
It's impossible to give you a perfect answer because there are so many different aspects which can affect battery life. We all have different apps installed, use our phones for different amounts of time, have different ROMs and kernels installed etc. so we will all experience different results regarding battery life.
Take a look at the Battery Stats Thread to see the usage & average battery life of other forum members.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: This phone is amazing and I want to tell others how good it is.[/SIZE]
Woah! Wait a moment. DON'T create a new thread to tell us what you think of the M8. Instead, you can post your review in the following thread - Reviews thread

[SIZE=+1]Q11: Are there any hardware/software issues with this phone which I should be aware of?[/SIZE]
To find a list of bugs/known issues, check out the following thread - HTC One M8 Bug-Find List. If you find any issues or solutions to current issues, post it into that thread and make the OP aware of it so that the list can be kept up-to-date.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I'm not sure whether to get the HTC One M8/what other phones compare to the M8?[/SIZE]
The only person who can make you want the device is you. If you're not sure whether to get this phone, go to your local phone shop which has stock and have a test run of it for yourself. This will give you a good feel as to whether you'll like the One M8 or not.
One thing to remember, if you're asking in this M8 forum, is that you're likely to get biased results. After all, the members who you're asking most likely either have the M8 or will be getting it.
If you're not sure what device to get and want to compare between your choices, please feel free to use the following thread - Device Suggestion Thread

[SIZE=+1]Q13: When will the M8 be S-Off?[/SIZE]
The M8 is now S-Off. Check out the following thread to find out how to make your device S-Off - SunShine for modern Motorola & HTC devices
*NOTE* As you'll soon notice if you decide to S-Off, it'll cost you $25 to do so. Don't even think about moaning about the price here or especially in the SunShine thread. If you don't want to pay that price, don't S-Off or spend all the money and hours required to get an exploit for yourself!

[SIZE=+1]Q14: I have a custom recovery installed but I can't boot into it.[/SIZE]
Use the command - fastboot erase cache.
You should now be able to boot into recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: I don't like Blinkfeed. Can I get rid of it?[/SIZE]
Yes you can.
To do so, swipe right from BlinkFeed so that you reach the "traditional" Android homescreen. Long press on an empty part of the screen and select "Manage home screen pages". You'll then see each of your home screens across the middle of your screen. Simply swipe across to the BlinkFeed screen and click "Remove".
If you change your mind and decide you want to add BlinkFeed again, copy the above steps until you see all your home screens and on the left hand panel you'll see the option "+BLINKFEED". Click that and you've now got it back.​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: I have a T-Mobile/AT&T HTC One M8. Can I flash the ROMs in this forum?[/SIZE]
Yes, at least you should be able to.
If you're not sure, check the OP of the ROM thread and search within the thread to find out for sure. The main variant with which you may not be able to flash ROMs in this forum is the Sprint model. As the Sprint variant is a CDMA device, and the others are GSM, ROMs from this forum may not work.​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: How can I change the shortcuts on my lockscreen?[/SIZE]
It's actually really simple. All you have to do is drag an app icon from your app drawer to your dock (either side of the app drawer icon) and then lock your screen to see that it has also been changed there aswell.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Okay guys, I've created this FAQ as I done the same to help those with the M7 and thought I'd do the same over here aswell.
Only post in this thread if you have an addition/improvement for this FAQ!

If you don't have an addition/improvement for this FAQ, then DON'T POST IN HERE! If you do, your post will be deleted on sight.

If you have a question, either ask in the Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting forum by creating your own thread OR ask in a currently existing thread which is the same topic. Only ask your question after you've already searched for the answer yourself though.
If any questions or irrelevant posts get made in this thread, just ignore them. I will clean them up when I see them. Replying to such posts won't help the situation in the slightest.

This IS NOT a help thread. This is simply an FAQ so NO questions should be being asked or answered in here.

Cheers,
- KidCarter93

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
I think it might be a good idea to explain what S-OFF is/does and the differences between GPE and Sense and GPE conversion. I could see that coming up a lot.

Reactions: KidCarter93

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
I think it might be a good idea to explain what S-OFF is/does and the differences between GPE and Sense and GPE conversion. I could see that coming up a lot.
Good idea. Cheers. I'll add it to the OP over the next few days when I get more free time :)
You cover How to S-Off, but this doesn't answer why you would want to and what it allows...
That's already been suggested in the post above yours.

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
First of all, as I mentioned in post #2, questions shouldn't be being asked in here. Suggestions are fine and even welcomed but questions are not.

Now, regarding adding information about S-Off, RUU's, CID/SuperCID etc. I'm debating creating a separate thread for such information. While I could always add certain parts into this FAQ, to properly explain each of these terms and exactly what they do would somewhat drown and overshadow all other information in this thread as well as most likely being more awkward to have it contained into a readable format.

I'm currently in talks with some other members about a potential new thread and am awaiting responses before I know how I'm going to deal with this. Until that point, the above posts will be kept here (not deleted yet) so that I don't forget about them.
That does not mean that questions are okay to be asked here. Read post #2 and stick to it ;)

I'll update here once a decision has been made either way :)

Sent from my HTC One via XDA Premium

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
I've just updated the FAQ to include Q5 which includes a guide to explain things like S-Off, RUU etc. :)

As always, please let me know if there's anything which should be added and don't forget that questions are to be asked in a separate Q&A thread, NOT this thread!

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
If you don't have an addition/improvement for this FAQ, then DON'T POST IN HERE! If you do, your post will be deleted on sight.

Hi, as I saw more than once the question why there isn't any option to disable bluetooth visibility. This would be a good addition I think:

In essence this is a new "feature" HTC introduced for non-technical users.

The bluetooth visibility on an HTC One M8 works as follows. If you got your bluetooth activated AND you are in the Bluetooth settings screen the HTC One M8 ist visible for ohter devices. If you close this screen it is invisible to other devices.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

3484jacks

Oct 30, 2010
York
OTA and custom recoveries

Can I install the OTA with my custom recovery? Why is my phone not working after installing the OTA??

You cannot install an OTA unless you have a completely STOCK ROM and a completely STOCK kernel. If you have flashed a custom recovery do not download & install the OTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: KidCarter93

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
but why is the FAQ sticky being used as Q&A thread :confused:
^^^This. As is mentioned in the OP, as well as having been stated a few times in this thread, this is a FAQ and not a help thread. If you have any questions either ask in the dedicated Help Thread or create a new thread within the Q&A section.

As always, only post in this thread if you have any suggestions for additional content to be added to the FAQ.

Reactions: nkk71

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Updated the FAQ with an edit to Q13. As pointed out by @xunholyx, the S-Off needed updating to the SunShine thread rather than the old thread.

As always, if you have any potential additions to be added let me know by either posting here or sending me a PM.
Also, be sure to post here ONLY if you have an addition to the FAQ. Anything else will either be deleted or moved to a relevant location, dependant on what's deemed necessary.
Any questions should be asked in the Q&A forum or in the M8 Help Thread.

Cheers :)

Reactions: xunholyx

Nickjg11

Sep 10, 2011
Cebu
Thank you very much for this. just got my m8 and wondering how to determine whether ROMs are compatible with the device if the thread does not specify it? i have the "m8_ul" variant (2.5ghz). i just want to make sure.

Last edited:

gilmirmo

May 3, 2015
hey guys,
after doing a factory reset my m8 automaticly went into the twrp custom recovery which restarts over and over again.
i cant turn off the device.
please help

mrme01

Apr 6, 2008
Nottingham
Does anyone ever answer queries in this forum or do they just look at them? I've posted 3 times and I find it highly unlikely that I'm not the only one with the issues I posted about.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Does anyone ever answer queries in this forum or do they just look at them? I've posted 3 times and I find it highly unlikely that I'm not the only one with the issues I posted about.

Unlikely yes. But did you consider the fact that is possible that the folks (like myself) that looked at your post didn't know the solution? We can respond to your post that we don't know the answer, but that doesn't' really add any value.

The notion that nobody here answers any questions is ridiculous, and its also insulting to those that spend countless hours helping others. If you look at other threads, you will see plenty of answers. Also, your last question was just asked 2 hours ago. So maybe an answer is still forthcoming.

Reactions: xunholyx

mrme01

Apr 6, 2008
Nottingham
Unlikely yes. But did you consider the fact that is possible that the folks (like myself) that looked at your post didn't know the solution? We can respond to your post that we don't know the answer, but that doesn't' really add any value.

The notion that nobody here answers any questions is ridiculous, and its also insulting to those that spend countless hours helping others. If you look at other threads, you will see plenty of answers. Also, your last question was just asked 2 hours ago. So maybe an answer is still forthcoming.

I didn't insinuate that no one gets answered, I noticed that the more technical the question (my post about not being able to remove stock apps), the more likely that someone will know the answer as it's a more common issue. However, there's an issue inside the system if either the lockscreen isn't secure or I'm unable to switch keyboard that someone must have either A) some knowledge on how that particular thing works or B) someone else has posted about it and been answered, but I don't know what to search for.

I apologise for being rash in my previous comment, but not being secure or using the stock keyboard is somewhat annoying. This being the number 1 usergroup for these issues, it's easy to see why when questions like these go unanswered, it becomes annoying.

I reflashed to stock after every thing I tried bar factory resetting my phone to get over my loudspeaker issues. Some ROM developer out there must have intimate knowledge of how Android handles audio routing.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I didn't insinuate that no one gets answered, I noticed that the more technical the question (my post about not being able to remove stock apps), the more likely that someone will know the answer as it's a more common issue. However, there's an issue inside the system if either the lockscreen isn't secure or I'm unable to switch keyboard that someone must have either A) some knowledge on how that particular thing works or B) someone else has posted about it and been answered, but I don't know what to search for.

I apologise for being rash in my previous comment, but not being secure or using the stock keyboard is somewhat annoying. This being the number 1 usergroup for these issues, it's easy to see why when questions like these go unanswered, it becomes annoying.

I reflashed to stock after every thing I tried bar factory resetting my phone to get over my loudspeaker issues. Some ROM developer out there must have intimate knowledge of how Android handles audio routing.

I've went to the threads you started and answered your questions. I'm not sure if they are the answers you need, but I figured I'd try to help.
Not all questions get a response. It's the way it is. It depends who sees it, and if they have the answer.
EDIT: This is a FAQ thread, not a place to ask questions. I shouldn't have even responded.

Last edited:
Reactions: razen_kain

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]HTC One (M8)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
    Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
    *Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
    *Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
    *A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
    *Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
    *Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
    *Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]

• Download the latest PhilZ Touch or TWRP recoveries and flash it by using fastboot commands. (It doesn't matter which recovery you use but I personally recommend TWRP.)
    • Once you've done that, reboot into recovery (using the combination in the next question) and flash the SuperSU.zip you already downloaded. Once complete, reboot and you'll be rooted.
    • Squabbi's Toolkit - If you're looking to root your phone quickly and easily this is the method for you.
    *NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device if you don't know how to do it manually because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone.

*NOTE* Always be sure to double check everything you read and follow the instructions carefully.

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How can I enter bootloader mode & recovery mode?[/SIZE]
    To enter bootloader mode make sure your phone is turned off. Turn it back on while holding the 'volume down' button and you will successfully enter bootloader mode.

To enter recovery mode, you will need to enter the bootloader (as detailed above) then use the 'volume down' button to navigate to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to confirm your choice. You'll now be booted into your custom recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: What is the best ROM/kernel/modem?[/SIZE]
    Honestly, there is no "best". It's all based on personal choice. For example; I may like heavily customizing my ROMs whereas you may like it to look at basic as possible. The best thing you can do is to just test out different ROMs/kernels/modems and see which you prefer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What do terms like S-Off, RUU, MID etc. mean?[/SIZE]
    Have a read through the following guide to better understand what these terms actually mean - [GUIDE] Everything Explained by @exad

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Can I install an OTA with a custom recovery or if I have a custom ROM/kernel?[/SIZE]
    No, you can't. Don't try installing an OTA if you're using CWM, TWRP or Philz as it won't work. It will only install via the stock recovery.
    You'll also need to make sure that you're on the stock ROM and stock kernel.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: I hear a lot about ADB. What is it?[/SIZE]
    Find out everything you need to know by reading the following thread - ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
    No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea, especially when flashing a ROM with an updated base, because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Does this phone have good battery life?[/SIZE]
    It's impossible to give you a perfect answer because there are so many different aspects which can affect battery life. We all have different apps installed, use our phones for different amounts of time, have different ROMs and kernels installed etc. so we will all experience different results regarding battery life.
    Take a look at the Battery Stats Thread to see the usage & average battery life of other forum members.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: This phone is amazing and I want to tell others how good it is.[/SIZE]
    Woah! Wait a moment. DON'T create a new thread to tell us what you think of the M8. Instead, you can post your review in the following thread - Reviews thread

[SIZE=+1]Q11: Are there any hardware/software issues with this phone which I should be aware of?[/SIZE]
    To find a list of bugs/known issues, check out the following thread - HTC One M8 Bug-Find List. If you find any issues or solutions to current issues, post it into that thread and make the OP aware of it so that the list can be kept up-to-date.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I'm not sure whether to get the HTC One M8/what other phones compare to the M8?[/SIZE]
    The only person who can make you want the device is you. If you're not sure whether to get this phone, go to your local phone shop which has stock and have a test run of it for yourself. This will give you a good feel as to whether you'll like the One M8 or not.
    One thing to remember, if you're asking in this M8 forum, is that you're likely to get biased results. After all, the members who you're asking most likely either have the M8 or will be getting it.
    If you're not sure what device to get and want to compare between your choices, please feel free to use the following thread - Device Suggestion Thread

[SIZE=+1]Q13: When will the M8 be S-Off?[/SIZE]
    The M8 is now S-Off. Check out the following thread to find out how to make your device S-Off - SunShine for modern Motorola & HTC devices
    *NOTE* As you'll soon notice if you decide to S-Off, it'll cost you $25 to do so. Don't even think about moaning about the price here or especially in the SunShine thread. If you don't want to pay that price, don't S-Off or spend all the money and hours required to get an exploit for yourself!

[SIZE=+1]Q14: I have a custom recovery installed but I can't boot into it.[/SIZE]
    Use the command - fastboot erase cache.
    You should now be able to boot into recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: I don't like Blinkfeed. Can I get rid of it?[/SIZE]
    Yes you can.
    To do so, swipe right from BlinkFeed so that you reach the "traditional" Android homescreen. Long press on an empty part of the screen and select "Manage home screen pages". You'll then see each of your home screens across the middle of your screen. Simply swipe across to the BlinkFeed screen and click "Remove".
    If you change your mind and decide you want to add BlinkFeed again, copy the above steps until you see all your home screens and on the left hand panel you'll see the option "+BLINKFEED". Click that and you've now got it back.​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: I have a T-Mobile/AT&T HTC One M8. Can I flash the ROMs in this forum?[/SIZE]
    Yes, at least you should be able to.
    If you're not sure, check the OP of the ROM thread and search within the thread to find out for sure. The main variant with which you may not be able to flash ROMs in this forum is the Sprint model. As the Sprint variant is a CDMA device, and the others are GSM, ROMs from this forum may not work.​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: How can I change the shortcuts on my lockscreen?[/SIZE]
    It's actually really simple. All you have to do is drag an app icon from your app drawer to your dock (either side of the app drawer icon) and then lock your screen to see that it has also been changed there aswell.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    My apologies for lack of updates thus far but I'm been really busy in real life and therefore haven't had the time.
    I will definitely update over the next couple of days :)

Okay guys, I've created this FAQ as I done the same to help those with the M7 and thought I'd do the same over here aswell.
    Only post in this thread if you have an addition/improvement for this FAQ!

If you have a question, either ask in the Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting forum by creating your own thread OR ask in a currently existing thread which is the same topic. Only ask your question after you've already searched for the answer yourself though.
    If any questions or irrelevant posts get made in this thread, just ignore them. I will clean them up when I see them. Replying to such posts won't help the situation in the slightest.

This IS NOT a help thread. This is simply an FAQ so NO questions should be being asked or answered in here.

Cheers,
    - KidCarter93
    First of all, as I mentioned in post #2, questions shouldn't be being asked in here. Suggestions are fine and even welcomed but questions are not.

Now, regarding adding information about S-Off, RUU's, CID/SuperCID etc. I'm debating creating a separate thread for such information. While I could always add certain parts into this FAQ, to properly explain each of these terms and exactly what they do would somewhat drown and overshadow all other information in this thread as well as most likely being more awkward to have it contained into a readable format.

I'm currently in talks with some other members about a potential new thread and am awaiting responses before I know how I'm going to deal with this. Until that point, the above posts will be kept here (not deleted yet) so that I don't forget about them.
    That does not mean that questions are okay to be asked here. Read post #2 and stick to it ;)

I'll update here once a decision has been made either way :)