[Q] How to install from unknown sources without ADB?

Search This thread

mkhopper

Nov 20, 2009
So, by going into the settings menu of the FTV and toggling the ADB Debug flag, this allows for installing via a push from ADB.
The text that is displayed when changing this value also says that by enabling the setting, it allows for package installs from unknown sources.

Is this not quite the case though?
Using ES File Manager, when selecting an apk package located in the downloads folder on the device, the message shown in the attached screenshot appears.

Since there's no way to do so from the front-end, I am assuming that we will need root to change the flag to truly allow installing from any source?
Any possible way to do this without root?

Attachments

• IMG_20140523_184946.jpg
    IMG_20140523_184946.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 258

deanemj

May 2, 2014
So, by going into the settings menu of the FTV and toggling the ADB Debug flag, this allows for installing via a push from ADB.
The text that is displayed when changing this value also says that by enabling the setting, it allows for package installs from unknown sources.

Is this not quite the case though?
Using ES File Manager, when selecting an apk package located in the downloads folder on the device, the message shown in the attached screenshot appears.

Since there's no way to do so from the front-end, I am assuming that we will need root to change the flag to truly allow installing from any source?
Any possible way to do this without root?

Yeah, this isn't currently possible for the public. There is a root exploit(s) already developed but they have not been released yet. The developer, jcase, said he will release an exploit on the same day the upcoming Fire TV update is pushed (the exploit will not be compatible with the update so if you want it you'll need to follow the instructions in the other thread for blocking OTA updates).

mkhopper

Nov 20, 2009
Are you having issues with ADB? We can probably help you get those resolved.

Thanks, but no. I use the automatic tool to push packages with no problems. I was just looking for other methods of package installation that could be done directly while on the FTV.

tarvoke

Mar 8, 2011
Slightly Outside America

:)

several days ago it occurred to me to alternatively use sshd for terminal access, because:

-a) I feel a little unsafe leaving adb wifi enabled all the time (ok it's only a small thing to turn it on and off, but still) - and for security reasons there is no way to enable/disable it programmatically e.g. from a script/shell/terminal/app (well theoretically this is not exactly true, but practically it is)
-2) some people (i.e. me) would like to do shell/terminal remotely sometimes, rather than on the AFTV (and other people don't have/want a keyboard)

ssh access makes a great alternative to Term.apk, but the problem is:

- Term.apk and/or (pick your favorite android ssh server) don't have permission to run e.g. "pm install foo.apk" - it will fail. (btw 'pm' is a great command, take a look sometime at all the options. it shares a lot of functions as the adb command itself. 'am' is another fun command...)

- so, the hilarious workaround of enabling adb wifi, "adb connect", and then finally "adb shell" or "adb install" etc., is still required. (b/c the adb user is in the 'shell' group, among others - giving it permission to run /system/bin/pm) - oh well.

for random reference:
Code:
127|shell@android:/ $ id
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1004(input),1007(log),1009(mount),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats)
shell@android:/ $ exit
u0_a9@android:/ $ id
uid=10009(app_9) gid=10009(app_9) groups=1015(sdcard_rw),1028,3003(inet),50009(app_40009)

(also note it appears the adb shell user might possibly have 'mount' abilities, but since the /dev/block/sd* nodes permissions' are really locked up, who knows...)

Top Liked Posts