Problem with TWRP. PLEASE HELP!

Search This thread

Lieval

Jan 31, 2014
So i bought this HTC EVO 4G LTE off ebay, well it has a huge problem that the seller did not tell me about. It has somehing called TWRP installed and I cannot do anything with this phone.
I cannot get past this screen weird twrp screen thingy. i would post a picture but I can't. it's grey and has a bunch of options. it's like a main menu
I have tried to figure this out and to be honest i have no idea what i'm even doing
Also from what i've seen seeing this stuff helps as well
This pops up when I hard reboot the phone

moonshine s-off
jewelpvt ship s-off rl
cid-spcs_001
hboot-2.09.4444
radio-1.12.11.1210
opendsp-v31.1.0.45.0815
emmc-boot
Oct 18 2012, 15:46:20

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
You're rooted. Run RUU tool to unroot and go back to complete stock. TWRP is the recovery menu and the gateway to flashing new roms and kernels etc.

Sent from my EVO

Reactions: Lieval

Lieval

Jan 31, 2014
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2197909

Go here and read through the instructions. I'm here if you have further questions.

Sent from my EVO

Okay so i downloaded and unzipped, The instructions on the thread are very vague
So I think i need to use a backdoor or something cause I can't get my phone to boot into android
Quote:
Q: But what if I can't get into Android?? Surely there is something I can do!?
A: Yes, I designed a "backdoor" to allow you into VipeRUU. However, BE CAREFUL! This skips important checks that VipeRUU does when it start (most importantly, if your phone really is an EVO 4G LTE!) but it will allow you to do this procedure from the bootloader. All you have to do is create a text file in the "files" folder called "bypass.txt" and then start the program. You'll be alerted with a few warnings when doing this.

Also do I need to have the phone plugged into the computer or something. I am so sorry but I am very lost

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
Okay so i downloaded and unzipped, The instructions on the thread are very vague
So I think i need to use a backdoor or something cause I can't get my phone to boot into android
Quote:
A: Yes, I designed a "backdoor" to allow you into VipeRUU. However, BE CAREFUL! This skips important checks that VipeRUU does when it start (most importantly, if your phone really is an EVO 4G LTE!) but it will allow you to do this procedure from the bootloader. All you have to do is create a text file in the "files" folder called "bypass.txt" and then start the program. You'll be alerted with a few warnings when doing this.

Also do I need to have the phone plugged into the computer or something. I am so sorry but I am very lost

I've never done this process myself, but I'll do my best to help you.

First: reboot into your bootloader, Hold down power key with volume down key until it reboots into the screen where you listed all that information. It should have a white bacground.

Second: Naviagte to fastboot and hit the pwoerkey

Third: Connect computer to phone with usb

Fourth: create a blank bypass.txt file and place into the file named "file" from the zip you downloaded.

Fifth: Run ViperRUU and select whichever option you need.

Reactions: Lieval

Lieval

Jan 31, 2014

First: reboot into your bootloader, Hold down power key with volume down key until it reboots into the screen where you listed all that information. It should have a white bacground.

Fourth: create a blank bypass.txt file and place into the file named "file" from the zip you downloaded.

Okay i did all of that and it's saying my device wasn't detected

When I click fastboot it gives me 4 other options
Bootloader
Reboot
Reboot Bootloader
powerdown

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
Okay i did all of that and it's saying my device wasn't detected

When I click fastboot it gives me 4 other options
Bootloader
Reboot
Reboot Bootloader
powerdown

Are you running windows? Open up a command prompt and try to get su access through fastboot. You may not have high enough privleges. Also, do you have HTC drivers installed? Once you're inside the fastboot menu, don't touch anything. The reading on the top should say "Fastboot USB"

Lieval

Jan 31, 2014
Are you running windows? Open up a command prompt and try to get su access through fastboot. You may not have high enough privleges. Also, do you have HTC drivers installed? Once you're inside the fastboot menu, don't touch anything. The reading on the top should say "Fastboot USB"

I do have windows and I know how to open a command prop

What is su access?

I'm sure I do since i'm the administrator, I have no idea about the drivers. The ones in the files folder I installed those I think

I am so sorry for all the trouble I really appreciate your help

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
Do what BD619 says. I had hoped ViperRUU would work, but the stock HTC one is much easier to use and operate. Also I usually use Ubuntu in these situations due to how much easier it is to work things in Terminal than it is to use Window's command prompt. Just a thought in case you ever need to do something fastboot related in the future.

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Do what BD619 says. I had hoped ViperRUU would work, but the stock HTC one is much easier to use and operate. Also I usually use Ubuntu in these situations due to how much easier it is to work things in Terminal than it is to use Window's command prompt. Just a thought in case you ever need to do something fastboot related in the future.
VipeRUU will work fine but he's still new this kind of stuff it can be confusing. It took me a couple tries to get it to work the first time I used it.

Lieval

Jan 31, 2014

Here is the link to the latest RUU I wouldn't mess with VipeRUU if you are not sure what you are doing.
http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-evo-4g-lte-sprint/news/

Thank you so much, both of you rock!
Not sure if the phone is working but it says it's updating right now. I have been trying to figure this out for hours. Thank you guys so much

numel007

Apr 22, 2011
VipeRUU will work fine but he's still new this kind of stuff it can be confusing. It took me a couple tries to get it to work the first time I used it.

No matter what it's a bad sign if you need to RUU. Definitely something I never want to do. Means something major screwed up lol. Yeah I was gonna give him the regular HTC one until I read all the paranoid stuff the ViperRUU posted in his thread.

Sent from my EVO

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Not sure if the phone is working but it says it's updating right now. I have been trying to figure this out for hours. Thank you guys so much

No problem, we've all been there.

Sent from my EVO

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
After the RUU finishes you will be 100% stock except for S-OFF...which I would leave in case you catch the bug and wanna start modding your phone in the future :D

Lieval

Jan 31, 2014
No matter what it's a bad sign if you need to RUU. Definitely something I never want to do. Means something major screwed up lol. Yeah I was gonna give him the regular HTC one until I read all the paranoid stuff the ViperRUU posted in his thread.

Sent from my EVO

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Sent from my EVO

After the RUU finishes you will be 100% stock except for S-OFF...which I would leave in case you catch the bug and wanna start modding your phone in the future :D

It works fine, thank you so much again. also i'm a girl, just saw you guys using male pronouns

I am not modding my phone I am honestly not up for messing with this phone besides it's original purposes

Reactions: Sloth

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're rooted. Run RUU tool to unroot and go back to complete stock. TWRP is the recovery menu and the gateway to flashing new roms and kernels etc.

Sent from my EVO
    How do I run RUU where can I download it. I honestly have no idea how to do anything with phones.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2197909

Go here and read through the instructions. I'm here if you have further questions.

Sent from my EVO
    Quote:

Here is the link to the latest RUU I wouldn't mess with VipeRUU if you are not sure what you are doing.
    http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-evo-4g-lte-sprint/news/

Sent from my EVO

Sent from my EVO

It works fine, thank you so much again. also i'm a girl, just saw you guys using male pronouns

I am not modding my phone I am honestly not up for messing with this phone besides it's original purposes