Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

Search This thread

andded

Jan 10, 2013
Img file broken

Hi, I've tried downloading the linked img file from mediafire a number of times, and from different connections on different machines. On trying to extract the files using 7-zip, I keep getting the error "Data error in 1.img file is broken"

However, the MD5 checksum is correct. What could possibly be going wrong? Please help!

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
Hi, I've tried downloading the linked img file from mediafire a number of times, and from different connections on different machines. On trying to extract the files using 7-zip, I keep getting the error "Data error in 1.img file is broken"

However, the MD5 checksum is correct. What could possibly be going wrong? Please help!

You could always try one of the other root images available. I've listed 2 in this topic:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2081981

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

OK, so I downloaded it to check it out. It's img file. It's not ment to be extracted! It's already in the form you want to use it!

pureline

Dec 7, 2011
My nook didn't wake up

I just flow your instruction

I saw box and symbol with read forever

But after turn off

My nook don't wake up

power button didn't working and power cable either

How can I turn on my nook?

bengineer8

Jan 14, 2024
[Updated 3/4/12] Add flashable SD card image
[Updated 3/5/12] Update instructions to include tethering
[Updated 4/16/12] Add compatibility warning (as suggested by lavero.burgos) and answers to common questions

Sorry for posting this here -- this is the first time I'm posting on xda-developers and I'm not allowed to post in the dev section.

So ever since I bought the 8GB Nook Tablet last week I've been checking this forum daily to see whether there's a root method that I could use to sideload apps etc.. But it seems that no current root method for the 8GB tablet existed, and I even came across a video showing that none of the current root methods for the 16GB version works on the 8GB.

So when I saw bauwks's updated 2nduboot that allows booting from an SD card, I started poking around to see if I could use that to root the tablet. While bauwks's kernel and ramdisk cannot boot into the stock Nook userland on the 8GB version (it reboots right after the "READ FOREVER" screen), they do allow me to boot into Android's init process, and that's enough to root the tablet and install Android Market. Basically, what I did was package the files I needed as well as a small installer script into bauwks's boot.img.

The result (root + Android market) is demonstrated in this video.

Compatibility

This method is for rooting the stock firmware version 1.4.2 that is shipped with the Nook Table 8GB when you buy one from B&N. It is not supposed to be used with other ROMs such as CM7, nor the Nook Tablet 16GB.

Included

- Root (su + Superuser.apk)
- Android market

Options

There are two equivalent ways to apply this root method.

1. The first, and easier method is to burn an image to your SD card.

2. The second method is to partition and format your SD card and copy over the files yourself. This latter is more complicated than you think as the SD card must be partitioned and formatted in a very particular (and peculiar) way for it to boot.

Instructions for option 1 - burning a pre-built microSD card image

0. Before you proceed, know that THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE THAT PROBABLY VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY AND MAY PERMANENTLY OR TEMPORARILY BRICK YOUR TABLET. Even though it worked for me, it may not work for you, and worse, it is quite possible that it could cause your tablet to boot-loop or die. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGES TO YOUR TABLET / ANYTHING ELSE CAUSED BY THIS METHOD. BY USING IT YOU AGREE TO ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.
1. You need a microSD card. The image itself is ~55MB, which means any card above 64MB will work. Backup anything you have on that SD card because THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR microSD CARD.
2. Download this image. MD5: 1a4f5cb32f09d3003b11aa782fe9566f
3. Burn downloaded image to microSD card. This page explains how to burn an image on Linux, Mac and Windows. Ignore the Nook Color-specific stuff, don't download the Nookie Froyo image, and replace in the instructions the nookie froyo image with the image you've just downloaded. THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR microSD CARD.
4. Turn off the tablet.
5. Put the microSD card with the burnt image into the tablet.
6. Connect tablet to computer using a USB cable. The tablet should boot up on its own; if not, press the power button to power on.
7. After the initial black screen with the "n" logo, you should see a brown box in the middle of a white screen. (If you do not, your tablet is not booting off the microSD card and you probably did something wrong.) After you hit the "READ FOREVER" screen, WAIT ABOUT TWO MINUTES. Even though nothing changes on the screen, a script is copying over root and Google stuff onto the /system partition.
8. After two minutes, hold down on the power button until the tablet turns off.
9. Take out the microSD card and power on again.

Instructions for option 2 - manual setup

0. Before you proceed, know that THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE THAT PROBABLY VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY AND MAY PERMANENTLY OR TEMPORARILY BRICK YOUR TABLET. Even though it worked for me, it may not work for you, and worse, it is quite possible that it could cause your tablet to boot-loop or die. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGES TO YOUR TABLET / ANYTHING ELSE CAUSED BY THIS METHOD. BY USING IT YOU AGREE TO ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.
1. Create a 50MB vfat partition with boot and lda flags set, as explained in this video. I followed the instructions on the page referred to by the video at the very beginning.
2. Download this zip file, and extract contents to root of the 50MB microSD card partition.
3. Turn off the tablet.
4. Put the microSD card with the burnt image into the tablet.
5. Connect tablet to computer using a USB cable. The tablet should boot up on its own; if not, press the power button to power on.
6. After the initial black screen with the "n" logo, you should see a brown box in the middle of a white screen. (If you do not, your tablet is not booting off the microSD card and you probably did something wrong.) After you hit the "READ FOREVER" screen, WAIT ABOUT TWO MINUTES. Even though nothing changes on the screen, a script is copying over root and Google stuff onto the /system partition.
7. After two minutes, hold down on the power button until the tablet turns off.
8. Take out the microSD card and power on again.

After Rooting

You will not see any visible difference in the interface when the tablet powers back on, nor will your firmware version change, but you should now be rooted. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market". For a step-by-step guide on other things you'd probably want to do after you root (e.g., installing 3rd-party .apks, making the "n" button start a custom launcher), check out this thread by RevenantOne.

Common Questions / Problems

Here are some of the common issues people have run into according to this thread. Read this through if you have a question or problem before posting it!

1. Am I rooted? / I did everything correctly, but nothing changed after I reboot!
If you saw a brown box and then the "READ FOREVER" screen, you are already rooted. There will not be any visible differences in the interface / software version. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market". Check out this thread by RevenantOne for other things you probably want to do after you root.​

2. I don't see the brown box screen; instead the tablet just boots up normally.
There are a number of possibilities:​
a. Some people have had better luck combining the files from this method with a root image for the 16GB tablet. Theoretically this could work for everyone, so make sure you do try this one out if your tablet refuses to boot (i.e., you don't see the brown box). Instructions can be found in post #131.​
b. Your microSD card may be incompatible. As strange as it may seem, people have posted on this thread that certain microSD cards will simply not work. It appears to be somewhat random which cards work and which don't, so you might have to try out several cards from a different brand or with a different size before you find one that does work.​

3. How to restore the microSD card back to its normal capacity from 50mb?

Disclaimer
Again, this is experimental software. That it worked for me does not mean it will work for you, or that it won't brick your tablet. I am not responsible for any possible damages resulting from using this method.
Credits
Credit goes to:
- [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4426306"]bauwks for his 2nduboot hack (see this thread)
- Indirect for his root + gapps package (see this thread).
- Everyone on this thread for posting amazing feedback and a wealth of information and solutions to common problems, and most of all to those of you who donated! It's really appreciated :)
Is there a way I can swap out the marketplace APK it installs? It is outdated to the point of not being able to connect to Google's servers.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Is there a way I can swap out the marketplace APK it installs? It is outdated to the point of not being able to connect to Google's servers.
You're a day late and a dollar short. Google dropped everything below Android 4 some years ago. Following really old posts is not the best idea because the ground has shifted a lot since 2012.

If you want market access on the device you'll have to flash a custom ROM. See https://xdaforums.com/t/how-to-cm-11-and-beyond-for-the-8-gb-nook-tablet-bntv250a.3667555/

bengineer8

Jan 14, 2024
You're a day late and a dollar short. Google dropped everything below Android 4 some years ago. Following really old posts is not the best idea because the ground has shifted a lot since 2012.

If you want market access on the device you'll have to flash a custom ROM. See https://xdaforums.com/t/how-to-cm-11-and-beyond-for-the-8-gb-nook-tablet-bntv250a.3667555/
I'm trying to follow that, but I am stuck on the part about preparing the SD card, unable to complete step 1 in the thread linked in that thread: https://xdaforums.com/t/how-to-installing-cm11-or-cm12-internally-on-nook-tablet.2692403/
The partition manager tool recommended there doesn't have an option for changing the partition ID type and activity flag. Sorry if my terminology is bad, I am new here.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I'm trying to follow that, but I am stuck on the part about preparing the SD card, unable to complete step 1 in the thread linked in that thread: https://xdaforums.com/t/how-to-installing-cm11-or-cm12-internally-on-nook-tablet.2692403/
The partition manager tool recommended there doesn't have an option for changing the partition ID type and activity flag. Sorry if my terminology is bad, I am new here.
Use this older version: https://www.mediafire.com/file/psuwg3iugtqh096/pw102-free.exe/file

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Updated 3/4/12] Add flashable SD card image
    [Updated 3/5/12] Update instructions to include tethering
    [Updated 4/16/12] Add compatibility warning (as suggested by lavero.burgos) and answers to common questions

Sorry for posting this here -- this is the first time I'm posting on xda-developers and I'm not allowed to post in the dev section.

So ever since I bought the 8GB Nook Tablet last week I've been checking this forum daily to see whether there's a root method that I could use to sideload apps etc.. But it seems that no current root method for the 8GB tablet existed, and I even came across a video showing that none of the current root methods for the 16GB version works on the 8GB.

So when I saw bauwks's updated 2nduboot that allows booting from an SD card, I started poking around to see if I could use that to root the tablet. While bauwks's kernel and ramdisk cannot boot into the stock Nook userland on the 8GB version (it reboots right after the "READ FOREVER" screen), they do allow me to boot into Android's init process, and that's enough to root the tablet and install Android Market. Basically, what I did was package the files I needed as well as a small installer script into bauwks's boot.img.

The result (root + Android market) is demonstrated in this video.

Compatibility

This method is for rooting the stock firmware version 1.4.2 that is shipped with the Nook Table 8GB when you buy one from B&N. It is not supposed to be used with other ROMs such as CM7, nor the Nook Tablet 16GB.

Included

- Root (su + Superuser.apk)
    - Android market

Options

There are two equivalent ways to apply this root method.

1. The first, and easier method is to burn an image to your SD card.

2. The second method is to partition and format your SD card and copy over the files yourself. This latter is more complicated than you think as the SD card must be partitioned and formatted in a very particular (and peculiar) way for it to boot.

Instructions for option 1 - burning a pre-built microSD card image

1. You need a microSD card. The image itself is ~55MB, which means any card above 64MB will work. Backup anything you have on that SD card because THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR microSD CARD.
    2. Download this image. MD5: 1a4f5cb32f09d3003b11aa782fe9566f
    3. Burn downloaded image to microSD card. This page explains how to burn an image on Linux, Mac and Windows. Ignore the Nook Color-specific stuff, don't download the Nookie Froyo image, and replace in the instructions the nookie froyo image with the image you've just downloaded. THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR microSD CARD.
    4. Turn off the tablet.
    5. Put the microSD card with the burnt image into the tablet.
    6. Connect tablet to computer using a USB cable. The tablet should boot up on its own; if not, press the power button to power on.
    7. After the initial black screen with the "n" logo, you should see a brown box in the middle of a white screen. (If you do not, your tablet is not booting off the microSD card and you probably did something wrong.) After you hit the "READ FOREVER" screen, WAIT ABOUT TWO MINUTES. Even though nothing changes on the screen, a script is copying over root and Google stuff onto the /system partition.
    8. After two minutes, hold down on the power button until the tablet turns off.
    9. Take out the microSD card and power on again.

Instructions for option 2 - manual setup

1. Create a 50MB vfat partition with boot and lda flags set, as explained in this video. I followed the instructions on the page referred to by the video at the very beginning.
    2. Download this zip file, and extract contents to root of the 50MB microSD card partition.
    3. Turn off the tablet.
    4. Put the microSD card with the burnt image into the tablet.
    5. Connect tablet to computer using a USB cable. The tablet should boot up on its own; if not, press the power button to power on.
    6. After the initial black screen with the "n" logo, you should see a brown box in the middle of a white screen. (If you do not, your tablet is not booting off the microSD card and you probably did something wrong.) After you hit the "READ FOREVER" screen, WAIT ABOUT TWO MINUTES. Even though nothing changes on the screen, a script is copying over root and Google stuff onto the /system partition.
    7. After two minutes, hold down on the power button until the tablet turns off.
    8. Take out the microSD card and power on again.

After Rooting

You will not see any visible difference in the interface when the tablet powers back on, nor will your firmware version change, but you should now be rooted. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market". For a step-by-step guide on other things you'd probably want to do after you root (e.g., installing 3rd-party .apks, making the "n" button start a custom launcher), check out this thread by RevenantOne.

Common Questions / Problems

Here are some of the common issues people have run into according to this thread. Read this through if you have a question or problem before posting it!

1. Am I rooted? / I did everything correctly, but nothing changed after I reboot!
    If you saw a brown box and then the "READ FOREVER" screen, you are already rooted. There will not be any visible differences in the interface / software version. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market". Check out this thread by RevenantOne for other things you probably want to do after you root.​

2. I don't see the brown box screen; instead the tablet just boots up normally.
    There are a number of possibilities:

a. Some people have had better luck combining the files from this method with a root image for the 16GB tablet. Theoretically this could work for everyone, so make sure you do try this one out if your tablet refuses to boot (i.e., you don't see the brown box). Instructions can be found in post #131.

b. Your microSD card may be incompatible. As strange as it may seem, people have posted on this thread that certain microSD cards will simply not work. It appears to be somewhat random which cards work and which don't, so you might have to try out several cards from a different brand or with a different size before you find one that does work.​

3. How to restore the microSD card back to its normal capacity from 50mb?

Disclaimer

Again, this is experimental software. That it worked for me does not mean it will work for you, or that it won't brick your tablet. I am not responsible for any possible damages resulting from using this method.

Credits

Credit goes to:
    - [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4426306"]bauwks
    for his 2nduboot hack (see this thread)
    - Indirect for his root + gapps package (see this thread).
    - Everyone on this thread for posting amazing feedback and a wealth of information and solutions to common problems, and most of all to those of you who donated! It's really appreciated :)
    Which files... If this is not easy to say/show - n'mind.

Code:
    /system/app:
    	CarHomeGoogle.apk
    	GenieWidget.apk
    	GoogleBackupTransport.apk
    	GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    	GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    	GoogleFeedback.apk
    	GooglePartnerSetup.apk
    	GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    	GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    	LatinImeTutorial.apk
    	MarketUpdater.apk
    	MediaUploader.apk
    	NetworkLocation.apk
    	OneTimeInitializer.apk
    	PackageInstaller.apk
    	Superuser.apk
    	Talk.apk
    	Vending.apk
    /system/etc/permissions:
    	com.google.android.maps.xml
    	features.xml
    /system/framework:
    	com.google.android.maps.jar
    /system/lib:
    	libvoicesearch.so
    /system/bin:
    	su
    /system/xbin:
    	busybox
    	su
    Did you happen to try any 3d games out?
    new launcher gone again after I hit the "n" button. any way to relink the button?:mad:

To get back to your custom launcher, you'd have to use the good-ol' search ("n" button -> Search). To permanently switch to your custom launcher as the default launcher, you can install the HomeCatcher app (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1357175). Before you do that though you'd have to enable the installation of APK files (or installation from "unknown sources" - I recommend using the "NT Hidden Settings" app which is available on the Android Market).
    If you have a Nook COLOR I suggest you head over to that sectionand find the root instructions for that device. This is for Nook TABLET!!

Sigh... not the first to to get it wrong and won't be the last. If only people took a few seconds to learn the difference.

Sent from my CM 10 nook. Thanks devs.