NFC SD & storage options

Search This thread

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
After root and tweak, will the stock media scanner read a flash drive attached via USB OTG?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The first big question, is the USB controller used one that even supports USB OTG/Host (because frankly, there are plenty of "modern" controllers that don't, and it wouldn't be hard to Google to make sure one is used that would block said functionality).

yumcax

Aug 29, 2010
Seattle
After root and tweak, will the stock media scanner read a flash drive attached via USB OTG?
If you install StickMount, then yes, it will do it automatically.

The first big question, is the USB controller used one that even supports USB OTG/Host (because frankly, there are plenty of "modern" controllers that don't, and it wouldn't be hard to Google to make sure one is used that would block said functionality).
IIRC pretty much every device since the Nexus One has supported OTG on the hardware side, _but_ not all usb ports were powered (you'd need a powered hub to use OTG).

However, I'm willing to bet any amount of money that the Nexus 10 has a powered USB hub and supports OTG just like all other recent Nexus devices.

Mikeparakh

Dec 12, 2011
London
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
OTG need root?

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered plenty of times before, I'm at work and didn't get a chance to search too much. Do you need to root the Nexus in order to utilise a OTG cable and HDD or USB as external storage? Or can you just do it straight away once you have the cable?

Cheers

GTabJosh

Apr 21, 2011

This is from the attached Samsung whitepaper:
"Exynos 5 Dual's USB 3.0 is a Dual-Role Device, meaning it can detect the status of a slave device by its connector's signal and then operate as either Host or Device. With DRD mode, Exynos 5 Dual supports keyboard, external storage as USB Host, PC sync as USB device, and LTE data modem."

Attachments

• Enjoy_the_Ultimate_WQXGA_Solution_with_Exynos_5_Dual_WP_compressed.pdf
    387.5 KB · Views: 31