53 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By mystica555, Member on 13th February 2009, 12:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th February 2009, 04:40 PM |#21  
Flag Galicia
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Swap = apps running 999999 % slower because its writing/reading from sdcard instead from memory.

I even deactivated swap, in my laptop (2gb memory) and never had problems with that.

If apps need more memory i wont let them swap to disk, CRASH BUT NEVER SLOW DOWN!!!!

For those who dont understand, running from memory means driving ferrary and swap means WALK.

Cache always to memory if possible. not disk
Swap always off.

14th February 2009, 06:49 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
In fact Linux has quiet good swap control that makes real good balance between keeping pages in RAM and swapping them off.

Turning this on with a Class 6 Transcend microSDHC (~4MB/sec transfer speed) results in in fact faster and snappier OS overall. After all when the necessary files are in swap they are ready to be moved to RAM and used. But with no swap the OS has no other choice but to unload everything when an app is closed, because of no free RAM and then start and load everything from the beginning when you start it again.

In fact Skype + Music + Browser + Meebo is now possible.
14th February 2009, 07:42 PM |#23  
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinBG

In fact Linux has quiet good swap control that makes real good balance between keeping pages in RAM and swapping them off.

Turning this on with a Class 6 Transcend microSDHC (~4MB/sec transfer speed) results in in fact faster and snappier OS overall. After all when the necessary files are in swap they are ready to be moved to RAM and used. But with no swap the OS has no other choice but to unload everything when an app is closed, because of no free RAM and then start and load everything from the beginning when you start it again.

In fact Skype + Music + Browser + Meebo is now possible.

how did you speed things up? same instructions from the first post?
14th February 2009, 10:33 PM |#24  
OP Member

More
Going to buy an 8gig class4 Sandisk with the "Wake Up Your Phone" logo.

Sadly its not the "Mobile Ultra" but according to this one test, its just about as fast...Benchmark from the Kaiser forum (If I am unable to get the performance I am after, I will order the Ultra card online...Ive found one in a local store, but for 2x the price. )

I haven't had the time to keep messing with this, but I will today!
15th February 2009, 02:12 AM |#25  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Edit: To make a long story short, I wouldn't recommend using your SD card as swap, it messes up the whole android process model because of the "extra" ram, and read/write on the SD card is VERY slow. After about 10 minutes of usage thing started going way to slow, once the screen turned off it would take five minutes to come back on, and then it would tell me xx program was not responding, etc etc. I don't think I'll be messing with it anymore .
15th February 2009, 09:49 AM |#26  

More
128mb swap is waaaaay to much. there's only 99mb of actual ram!

32mb might be more appropriate.
15th February 2009, 08:27 PM |#27  
Flag Charlottenlund
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

how did you speed things up? same instructions from the first post?

Yes, he did
15th February 2009, 10:39 PM |#28  

More
Not exactly the same instructions. I created a dedicated swap partition on the SD card, remounted /system in read-write mode and added the partition in /etc/fstab to mount it on every reboot.
But yes, I must admit that after some use things tend to get real slow. THe entire OS becomes so unresponsive that it's unusable To be more specific, when it swaps 50MB and more. I haven't tried yet to limit the size of swap to more reasonable size, like 32 or 48MB, but I suppose that it may be slightly better.

Faster card could be a better solution. Now I have 3-4MB/sec read/write. In a few days I would try with class 2card, providing 13-15MB/sec write and 20MB/sec read. That should make a difference.
16th February 2009, 03:24 AM |#29  

More
13-15 megs a second really will not make a difference. SATA II is 300MB/second, and you can feel it swap even on that. For reference:

SDCARD = 16?MB/Sec
IDE (ultra 100) = ~100MB/sec (never saw over 50 on bench marking...)
SATA-II SWAP = 300MB/sec
DDR200 = 1.6 GB/sec
DDR400 = 3.2 GB/sec
DDR2 400 = 3.2 GB/sec
DDR2 1066 = 8.53 GB/sec

Which is all dog slow compared to the actual cache.

So basically, unless you can get a card that is close to or greater than the speed of SATA II or even IDE (100MB/sec), i really do no see this as feasible.

That said, you are also limited to the BUS speed for the SDCARD, along with concurrency issues (ie, OS wants to read/write a regular file to the card, but the OS is also trying to swap to it, creating a race condition and slowing things down even more).
16th February 2009, 03:33 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Quote:

13-15 megs a second really will not make a difference. SATA II is 300MB/second, and you can feel it swap even on that.

Not necessarily. Swap tries to page out unused pages. If it is successful in doing so, and it often is, it will speed tings up since the memory free'd up by swapping will allow you to keep more applications in RAM at the same time, rather than killing them off and restarting them. Not only could this be faster, it could increase battery life by quite a bit.
16th February 2009, 03:57 AM |#31  
Flag Arlington, TX
Thanks Meter: 5

More
The HTC Dream service manual that's posted in this forum says "RAM: 192 MB DDR (include 64MB baseband chip [guessing this is for radio])". Does the ARM CPU have onboard cache?

Anyways, yeah - HTC should have put another 64mb of RAM in our phones (not to mention twice the Flash memory) I'm guessing either tiny DDR memory is expensive and/or they used the minimum to keep power consumption down.

BTW, does anyone know how much RAM iPhones have? Is their storage just flash memory like ours?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)