[Q] SCH-I545 Sim Unlock

Search This thread

andrew73a

Jun 5, 2013
I've searched quite a bit and I saw a few threads that said that the Verizon GS4 comes sim unlocked. But I put in a friends Sprint Sim and I got an error message that said "non verizon sim." I also saw tutorials on how to go into the phones menu by typing *#06# or *#0011# but these do not work on my phone. Is there a code that will work on my phone? Also, do I have to install a custom ROM on this phone to get the sim unlocked? I really don't want to go that route but if I have to I will.

andrew73a

Jun 5, 2013
OK. I found out that you have to enable the hidden menus first. There is a forum here that talks about it. It's titled [how to] Enable Hidden Menus for Verizon Galaxy S4. And from there you can sim unlock.

darek65

Dec 28, 2010
I've seen reports that people where getting non- verizon sim message but phone still worked on other carriers.

Silentgray

Apr 17, 2011
This is true. I have put in an active ATT sim got "non-Verizon SIM" message and could still make calls and Internet from the ATT SIM.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

wilcoxky

Jun 16, 2013
I am currently in China and trying to get my sch-i545 to work with a sim card I purchased. While my phone is able to recognize that the sim card is there I recieve the message that the sim card is from an unknown source. Is there any way to fix this with the sch-i545 even though it is not the international version of the phone.

wontongo

Jun 29, 2013
I am currently in China and trying to get my sch-i545 to work with a sim card I purchased. While my phone is able to recognize that the sim card is there I recieve the message that the sim card is from an unknown source. Is there any way to fix this with the sch-i545 even though it is not the international version of the phone.

Are you rooted? Are you running a custom ROM?

zerofighter1

Dec 6, 2010
This is only works with gsm. The cdma side is still locked unless you call Verizon and get them to unlock it.

Are they capable of doing this with the S4? Assuming they are, are you speaking theoretically or with certainty? Could you confirm via experience or perhaps cite the information?

Reason I'm asking I tried to use a non-Verizon sim once with limited success on an S3. Called Verizon to see if it was a sim-lock related issue and they insisted that the phone shipped as unlocked as could possibly be, which would contradict your statement assuming the same holds true for the S4.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Silentgray

Apr 17, 2011
Are they capable of doing this with the S4? Assuming they are, are you speaking theoretically or with certainty? Could you confirm via experience or perhaps cite the information?

Reason I'm asking I tried to use a non-Verizon sim once with limited success on an S3. Called Verizon to see if it was a sim-lock related issue and they insisted that the phone shipped as unlocked as could possibly be, which would contradict your statement assuming the same holds true for the S4.

I have put an AT&T sim in my S4, added the correct APN info and I wa getting data and could make calls.

zerofighter1

Dec 6, 2010
I have put an AT&T sim in my S4, added the correct APN info and I wa getting data and could make calls.

That's interesting, but doesn't answer my question - that being about Verizon being able to unlock the S4 for CDMA carriers. I'm aware that it's GSM unlocked.

Silentgray

Apr 17, 2011
That's interesting, but doesn't answer my question - that being about Verizon being able to unlock the S4 for CDMA carriers. I'm aware that it's GSM unlocked.

Sorry I misunderstood. Don't mention sim unlock to them since the cdma doesn't use the sim. There is another thread floating around here that mentioned this but I couldn't find it. What it boiled dien to was telling that you are traveling overseas and would like them to unlock cdma. This doesn't Guarantee that they will. Sorry I couldn't find the link.

StifflerServices

Dec 12, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Anyone ever call Verizon and had their s4 or S3 unlocked thru them before who finished their contract? If so can you explain what the process was they walked you thru?

Last edited:

drnob1

Dec 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I popped in a tmobile sim in my vzw s4 and it worked without any mids. It just says unknown sim but it works

oc3rulz

Jan 30, 2010
Columbus, OH
Actually it's quite easy to do. You go on your My Verizon account, or call them and add the $4.99 international package. That does NOT include any data, only the capability to use it on CDMA elsewhere or the Global option on your Verizon Sim.

I recently traveled to Sweden and have used several different Verizon phones (with International SIM) outside the USA and not had issues.

The "Non-Verizon" sim message has absolutely no bearing on being able to use another sim in the phone, its UNLOCKED. If it's a GSM simcard voice will work no problem, data you have to add APN in. You cannot use a Sprint SIM because like Verizon they use authentication by way of ESN or IMEI to be registered on their CDMA network. So it just won't authenticate.

So you don't need to SIM unlock, it's already unlocked.

Reactions: daimith

xXPrOwLeRXx

May 8, 2011
Actually it's quite easy to do. You go on your My Verizon account, or call them and add the $4.99 international package. That does NOT include any data, only the capability to use it on CDMA elsewhere or the Global option on your Verizon Sim.

I recently traveled to Sweden and have used several different Verizon phones (with International SIM) outside the USA and not had issues.

The "Non-Verizon" sim message has absolutely no bearing on being able to use another sim in the phone, its UNLOCKED. If it's a GSM simcard voice will work no problem, data you have to add APN in. You cannot use a Sprint SIM because like Verizon they use authentication by way of ESN or IMEI to be registered on their CDMA network. So it just won't authenticate.

Adding this feature does not cost anything on my unlimited plan. Only if you want to add additional global data and voice rate plans does it cost to enable the feature.

Reactions: daimith

StifflerServices

Dec 12, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
OK so in that case how do we get 3g and higher speeds when using other Sims? I took mine too ATT they put in the sim and still wouldn't get more then Edge data, We also have a Ver S3 that we have on ST prepay and put in the APNS and we still can't get above edge data either. Here the thing, the s4 is global ready yet it still has some kind of lock to prevent data so has anyone ever contacted Verizon after theit contract to come about unlocking their device to use on other carriers? What is the point of buying these phones, if they won't unlock then for us after contact is up? It would still be there phone, seems were just leasing it cause we can't take it with us to another carrier. Any guide to get these unlocked for3g and data please?!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is true. I have put in an act ve ATT sim got "non-Verizon SIM" message and could still make calls and Internet from the ATT SIM.

I put a China cdma card,it can make calls and send message,but Internet over evdo(3g) can not work.
    I don't know how to set.

Adding this feature does not cost anything on my unlimited plan. Only if you want to add additional global data and voice rate plans does it cost to enable the feature.